Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Lonnehart at 9:36PM, April 21, 2014
(online)
It looks like they discontinued support for that model, just as Microsoft did with Windows XP. That's how I'm reading it. -_-

Well, now I've replaced my CRT for an HDTV. That's right. An actual flatscreen TV rather than a dedicated computer monitor. I'm sure having a touchscreen would've been useful, but here on Guam they're incredibly expensive and out of my reach. Furthermore, I'm starting to believe in the durability of HDTVs. 3 dedicated flatscreen monitors for my computers have all burnt out, yet my HDTV (which I bought at the same time as the first monitor) has yet to go dark….

Hmm… it'll be nice to play my XB360 on my computer desk for a change. :)

Never thought a world made of blocks could look so…. vivid!!! Now if only I could figure out how to use PRNTSCRN with this thing… :)
last edited on April 21, 2014 9:39PM
Ozoneocean at 9:45PM, April 21, 2014
(online)
I think the LEDs they use in most newer TVs last longer than the CFL globrs they use in older LCD monitors. I mostly use HD TVs for my comps… appart from my Cintiq. They're always better when using a HDMI or DVI to HDMI cord at the very least. They usually all suck on VGA.
Lonnehart at 10:32PM, April 21, 2014
(online)
I wish I had an HDMI cable at the moment. But for now I'll keep using VGA mode. I'm not sure how much better things are supposed to look in HDMI mode. I'd invest in an HDMI cable if the improvement is great enough though…
Ozoneocean at 10:56PM, April 21, 2014
(online)
Get HDMI cheap through Ebay.
The VGA mode on most HDTVs tens to be limited to lower resolutions and/or duller colours I've found. Among other things.
Lonnehart at 4:17AM, April 22, 2014
(online)
Well, grabbed an HDMI cable from Home Depot. Works pretty well. As expected, the TV speakers themselves fell far below what I'd like. Not that it matters anyways as I use headphones in all my computing. :)

Oh… and made a new Facebook page just for you guys. And anyone else I choose to add to it. Just search “Lonne Hart” over there. Nothing in it yet… :)
last edited on April 22, 2014 4:51AM
HippieVan at 5:45AM, April 22, 2014
(online)
Lol, I got the world's tersest reply to my latest email to ASUS. I sent them a super long email basically saying “you didn't address X, Y or Z,” and they responded “The unit has one year warranty.”

It's especially hilarious how they keep outright ignoring my request to lodge a complaint about the stupid thing breaking (and at this point about the customer service too).

Seriously though, I definitely wasn't planning on spending money on a new computer less than two years after the last one. At least I'll be starting my summer job relatively soon, but it still hurts the ol' budget quite a bit.

Added you, Lonne! (I think)
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on April 22, 2014 1:56PM
Lonnehart at 2:22PM, April 22, 2014
(online)
Thanks! It went through after a couple of tries though. -_-
Ironscarf at 2:35PM, April 22, 2014
(offline)
Total, permanent site ban from ComicFury with no possibility of parole.

Can you beat that Bravo? Well, can you?!
Lonnehart at 3:27PM, April 22, 2014
(online)
Okay…. how did THAT happen?
Ironscarf at 4:41PM, April 22, 2014
(offline)
Funny you should ask that Lonne!

I posted a comic so shocking - so depraved -so immoral, that after just one page I was made to take it down and then cast out into the nameless void to drift for all eternity. Here's a link to the abomination in question but I should warn you - you may never sleep soundly again once you've read Cosmic Furore. D:
last edited on April 22, 2014 7:25PM
Ozoneocean at 7:55PM, April 22, 2014
(online)
I'll have to add you Lonne :)

@Hippie- A Nexus tablet would be a good option for you. You get a lot of quality for a relaitively low price, and you can do all of your writing on that, access the net etc.
Ipads are vey good and you already have an iphone so you're in the iOS ecosystem, but they;re a bit overpriced for what you get. You can get a good second hand one for lower cost though.
Samsung Note tablets are amazing for artwork, with their preasure sensitive pens. They tend to be a little pricey, but the 2012 Note 10.1 version, which is what I have is an older model now so you can get that a lot cheaper. -and of course you can so all your writing on that through Google Drive etc.
Always better to have access to a full comp as well of course, but less and less these days.

—————-

SCARF?!!!! WTF?
Is the environment really that toxic at CF now? I feel sorry for the users. Man, I've been a total DICK as an admin on occasion, but I hope I was never that bad.
JoeL_CQB at 10:02PM, April 22, 2014
(online)
i don't see how that was a bannable offense :S.
Ozoneocean at 10:18PM, April 22, 2014
(online)
Mods or admins can take things VERY personally sometimes.
I'm not sure if I've ever taken anything that personally though… I think the worst I got was giving Custard Trout a temp ban for saying mean/rude things to me in the forum.

The thing is, if you get really hypersensitized you can see all sorts of stuff as a direct attack: The Cartman Zone, where everyone is chalanging your “Authoratie!”.
Lonnehart at 11:10PM, April 22, 2014
(online)
You'll have to search for “Lonne Hart” on Facebook. I'm going to put webcomic/gaming stuff up there for now.

I always thought it was an Admin's duty to remain impartial to everyone else and to act for the interests and stability of the community. From experience I've found that's not always the case…
JoeL_CQB at 1:43AM, April 23, 2014
(online)

@ozone: I see, I remember just making an account on CF, but never doing anything with it, so I guess I don't know the people on there as well.

In other news, I bought new memory sticks on tigerdirect, and now all the ads on every website I go to now is a tigerdirect memory advertisement.
“Are you sure you don't need this brand of memory sticks?”
“No, I'm pretty sure I don't seeing that I already paid for these other sticks that I needed.”
last edited on April 23, 2014 1:44AM
Ironscarf at 2:12AM, April 23, 2014
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:

SCARF?!!!! WTF?
Is the environment really that toxic at CF now? I feel sorry for the users. Man, I've been a total DICK as an admin on occasion, but I hope I was never that bad.
'Fraid so - the DD crowd didn't last long there. One of the mods I'm parodying in that strip actually made a strip about me some time ago (my username was Arden) but instead of a total ban, he got modded. There's obviously some subtle difference I'm missing here - maybe the addition of colour was too much?

And I don't think you were ever a total dick ozone. I recall having one or two disagreements over the years but I never felt like I was in danger of being banned! Over there, a bunch of users have become known as The Eggshell People - always complaining they daren't post for fear of breaking something.
last edited on April 23, 2014 2:16AM
bravo1102 at 2:32AM, April 23, 2014
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
Total, permanent site ban from ComicFury with no possibility of parole.
Can you beat that Bravo? Well, can you?!

My ban from the forums is permanent but I can still post comics. So you got me beat. But then I surrendered and did a mea culpa and walked away. I couldn't fight the battle.

I kept my parody comics on the drawing board. I did one where all the CF mods were a bunch of bumbling Gestopo officers. Well done you brave man! How does it feel to have charged the machine guns of outrageous self-righteous political correct intolerance and gotten killed?

To Ironscarf for valour:
last edited on April 23, 2014 2:43AM
Ironscarf at 3:04AM, April 23, 2014
(offline)
I feel I fell for a worthy cause, especially after receiving this amazing honour - my proudest moment. Certainly beats the last time I died.

e - I just got word Skullbie is missing in action too.
last edited on April 23, 2014 3:06AM
Skullbie at 4:28AM, April 23, 2014
(online)
Yeah he permabanned me, i made an avatar from scarfs comic.
Scarfs comic was so unbelievably tame lmao. I have been killed twice in
slander comics and i let them be. And my charicature was nowhere near as
adorable as scarfs. (i had a naruto headband and pimples in one, and of course very obese! fuck i wish i'd saved them)
I'll probably pop back there for antics because i think kyo likes the idea of getting rid of all the people who point out his fallacys a little too much. And, you know, its me.
Yeah the moderation there is redic. There was not one, but two huge threads in the last week pointing out that the mods had thin skin. First one was a vote about letting the venting thread come back (which kyo locked because he disliked the people in it, under the ruse of ‘letting newcomers make threads’) and when someone pointed out that this ‘vote’ was a big farce because all the people who would have voted yes left, people started critisizing the core of the forum rules and moderation tactics. Kyo then locked it when one too many people made good points. Another thread was made because locking threads to shut people up somehow doesn't work.
Ironscarf at 5:18AM, April 23, 2014
(offline)
Permabanned for one cute avatar?

Damnit Skullbie, you've stolen my thunder! >={
last edited on April 23, 2014 5:24AM
Ozoneocean at 6:18AM, April 23, 2014
(online)
@Joel- Maybe your USB had some adware on it? Or if you bought it of a site, maybe it left you with diseased ad cookies?

@Skull, thanks for the rundown.
Wow, things sound broken in the modding department.
We were really lucky at DD having Ronson as our main admin! He was a very easy going, freedom of speach beliving, educated, guy who just wanted the site to be a great friendly place for him to have his comic. Volte6 the creator was a good guy too, but could be heavy handed so it was fourtunate he deferd to Ronson.
Ronson's brother Spang was a good guy, but had a quick temper at times. Black Kitty was very smart but a little too nice to be firm with people. Skoolmunkee was dedicated, patient, smart and pretty much the best admin after Ronson.

Freedom of speach was something Ronson advocated to a political degree, the rest of us weren't as dedicated, but I think it was from following his lead that this place functioned as well as it did.
bravo1102 at 7:00AM, April 23, 2014
(offline)
I have a PM debate over freedom of speech with kyo subsequent to my ban. He doesn't believe in it and chalks it up to American arrogance. His behavior when he found me still mirroing my comic there was also disturbing. He reacted like a little kid even though I had told him previously that I had accepted his decision, my position had been wrong and had no more to say. But that didn't seem to satisfy him and he went on a rant that can only be descirbed as childish.

I had fought this battle before on other forums run by teens and they had responded more maturely. So I thought… well as my drill sergeant said… "When you ‘thought’ you're WRONG!

NO EXCUSE DRILL SERGEANT!
HippieVan at 7:11AM, April 23, 2014
(online)
I have to admit that I had previously assumed that everyone was exaggerating about the crazy moderation on comicfury. I think ironscarf's comic would get maybe an annoyed sideways glance and an eye roll over here.

I miss skoolmonkee! I can remember a few times when she did an amazing job dealing with issues here. Like that ridiculous guy with the clearly adult comic who thought the mods were conspiring against him when they changed its rating, does anyone else remember that?
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Ozoneocean at 7:58AM, April 23, 2014
(online)
Do you mean SlimRedNinja? :D
There were many guys like that… Skool and I used to have a lot of laughs about some of the stuff people would do hahahaha! You'd never beleive it…

I loved Scarf's comic. If that were done about us here, yeah, no one would mind much now. Back in the day SpANG would've been very annoyed if it was about him, but there wouldn't have been any sort of ban for it.

Personally, the worst “Comment” comic I ever saw was by the user Jebus: It was a daily photo series of pictures of his turds floating in his toilet. -_-
Photos of it!
It was his idea of an abstract comment on the comics here on DD and people's attitudes.
I wanted to delete it, or at least change the rating to “Adult” because I find that subject matter revolting… but the others all voted me down 100%, so zero action was taken and the turd comic lived on.

He DID get a permaban eventually though. It had nothing to do with his turd comic and nothing to do with me either. I think he was just being a dick to other people too much. That was always the main rule here: “Don't be a dick!”
And I will admit there have been times I've failed to live up to that, but it's a good rule anyway. :)
bravo1102 at 8:02AM, April 23, 2014
(offline)
HippieVan wrote:
I miss skoolmonkee! I can remember a few times when she did an amazing job dealing with issues here.
Ditto. She was wonderful and WHY THE HELL AM I TALKING ABOUT HER IN THE PAST TENSE? She's still alive and keep hope alive, she'll be back!

As for the reaction to Ironscarf's comic it was dead on satire. You have to roll with it. After all my alter ego voice on the Quackcast is Banes' Ed Wynn imitation.

which will probably be my new avatar.
ksteak at 12:17PM, April 23, 2014
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Personally, the worst “Comment” comic I ever saw was by the user Jebus: It was a daily photo series of pictures of his turds floating in his toilet. -_-
Photos of it!
The real kicker of that tale is the comic only ended after he accidently dropped his camera in the toilet.
Lonnehart at 2:06PM, April 23, 2014
(online)
So Comic Fury has basically gone bonkers. I like to take a peek in there once in a while, but I never thought things were THAT bad.

I suppose things could get better there one day…
last edited on April 23, 2014 2:12PM
Ironscarf at 3:58PM, April 23, 2014
(offline)
Things could definitely get better . Back in the day, there was a second admin by the name of AFStaff, who didn't appear to do much and was the butt of many jokes, but when he disappeared it all went off the rails. Somehow, AFStaff was the glue that held the whole mess together, so maybe he'll come back some day, if he's not buried under the patio as some claim.
last edited on April 23, 2014 4:13PM
Banes at 5:32PM, April 23, 2014
(offline)
ksteak - HAHAHAHA! Thanks for the greatest chuckle of the day! Well played!

I've read a little on the CF forums (haven't seen any of the drama, and I've never posted there). I do like posting comics there, though.

I'm learning this song that I've always loved, but was never able to figure out back in the day. Gonna learn it and post it. It's been quite satisfying to play the piano again lately since I've left it for several months or more. The chops DO come back quite quickly. Gonna post this song when it's presentable enough.

I remember coming back to it once after a break of more than a year. When I finally picked it up again, I could barely play. That was a scary moment. Had I lost everything I'd spent years learning?

Luckily, it's like riding a bike (not literally - I broke a keyboard once, taking that expression too literally).

last edited on April 23, 2014 5:34PM
kawaiidaigakusei at 6:17PM, April 23, 2014
(online)
It was a daily photo series of pictures of his turds floating in his toilet. -_-
Photos of it!

I remember that comic! He would draw pictures on top of his BM and one time he drew Purple Tentacle from the LucasArts game Day of the Tentacle and it got me to laugh out loud.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon