Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
bravo1102 at 4:42AM, April 30, 2014
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
We tend to think of ourselves as the dominant species, but we're just planetsitting until the fungi take over.
I look at my yard and I'm pretty sure they already have taken over. They just like us to do what we do. I expect the fight for the dominant species to be between squirrels and the fungi. Insects just are. They're a constant but mammals and fungi gotta fight.
HippieVan at 5:34PM, April 30, 2014
(online)
Hmmm…maybe. I can't just sit by while Izzy's people lie defeated! :P

Today started out nice. I found a nice cafe near my apartment (where they didn't seem to hate my terrible French, either!), picked up some plastic dishes and stuff, and then headed downtown to try to find my class so I don't get lost tomorrow morning. I forgot to bring my map so there was a bit of wandering but it was alright.

I wandered a bit but it started raining so I started on my way home…the transit website had basically said to take the same route in reverse. So I took the subway, then when I went to take the same bus in the opposite direction I realized there was only one bus stop outside the station. I asked someone where I could catch the bus that went the other way, and she told me it only went the one way. So got back on the subway and took it to the stop nearest my apartment, and walked 15 minutes home in the pouring rain. For a city with a decent amount of rain, by the way, it is amazingly hard to find an umbrella here. Then just as I get to my apartment, completely soaked through, what do I see? The damn BUS, which is indeed going in the opposite direction! The local transit website is super confusing, but the nearest I can figure is that the bus turns around at the subway station.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Lonnehart at 11:45PM, April 30, 2014
(online)
Public Transportation… feh… I've had nothing but bad experiences with it around here. Not only are the waits very long (for a very tiny island), but they don't operate between 7PM to 7AM, and are definitely closed on holidays and sometimes they don't even show up on time (think… the next bus comes along going somewhere else and he's wondering where your driver went). I'd get a moped/scooter ASAP. Heck. Even a bicycle will work. :)
Ozoneocean at 2:24AM, May 1, 2014
(online)
Sounds like a real pain Lonne!

Hippie- I think busses in Canberra (the capital here) were like that. A really bad system there. Canberra is a real joke of a city and embarrasing that it's out capital… It's in the middle of nowhere, it's the ONLY capital that is not on the coast- it's probably the highest of our capitals too so it's cold all the time there and probably the only city where you could expect to see snow!

It's hugely spread out but almost no one lives there so it's all bushland with great big office buildings and major national institutions (universities, museams, art galleres etc) and isolated housing developemnts in the middle of bush.
The city has no reason for existance except that it's “The” capital and that's where all the federal polititians work… and because of its status those aformentioned national insitutions have to be there. But what that means is that it has no real heart or any real industries because it's not a real city, what's there is just to support the people and their families that work in those inistitions, and also the hotels, and anybody that's unlucky enough to have their business head officer stuck there.

It's a sad, sorry freak city.

Of course Montreall would be about a bazillion times beter than Canberra in every way though! Also Gaum! ^_^
Ironscarf at 3:27AM, May 1, 2014
(offline)
I used to travel extensively around north London for my job - tubes and buses. London Underground was fine, but the 140 bus - you'd be more afraid of it arriving than not arriving. Lower deck was ok but there were few seats there so then you'd head for the upper deck which was not dissimilar to descending into the 8th circle of hell - complete with fire on occasion.

Ever seen a man interpret the words “Can I see your ticket?” as “Can you stand in front of the bus and urinate on it?” I still have nightmares.
last edited on May 1, 2014 3:28AM
Skullbie at 7:23AM, May 1, 2014
(online)
Have you guys ever seen a chicken battle a rabbit? I got up early and went to spy on the animals like I usually do. There was a cute bunny hopping around the yard looking for scraps. The grey chicken was patrolling and she spotted him. She kept running at him so he'd be run off and then stopping to peck something on the ground because her brain is the size of a raisinette. They went around the coup about two times like this.
She finally cornered him between the fence and he turned around to attack! She got in her defensive stance and pecked him on the head! He turned around and did a kick hop in the air (Seriously!) Then went at it making feints at eachother, not really connecting, for about 10 seconds before white chicken came over, stopping to peck things because her brain is also the size of a raisinette. The rabbit ran through the hole in the fence.
Anyways it was fucking awesome and made my morning. REAL LIFE POKEMON I AM THE KID WITH 8 UNFEASANTS!!
last edited on May 1, 2014 7:26AM
HippieVan at 8:12AM, May 1, 2014
(online)
Holy crap, my skin loves it here. Manitoba is really dry all the time, so my lips get crazy chapped and my skin gets gross and oily (in response to the dryness I guess). It feels so much nicer here. :)

@ozone: I think Montreal is probably much better, from the sounds of it! The nice thing about this city is that a ton of people actually live in the downtown area, rather than just commuting from suburbs.

The buses do kind of suck compared to what I'm used to, though. I think it might be because we don't have a subway system back home, so they keep trying to make the buses better in various ways. For instance, Winnipeg buses have a light-up sign telling you each upcoming stop, as well as a voice reading it out. Without that here I'm kind of like “how do I know where to get off?”
HippieVan at 3:51PM, May 1, 2014
(online)
Here is my tiny apartment! I had to stand in the bathroom to take this picture. :P (And of course it's already messy because that's just who I am.)

Lonnehart at 9:57PM, May 1, 2014
(online)
Well, time to try something new in Minecraft. I'm gonna attempt to create a simple mob trap. Basically a trap that does the work for me, which in this case is killing mobs that spawn at night.

Why make a mob trap? So I have a safe way to collect their drops without actually fighting them. Ugh… I hear gamers are getting more lazy with each generation and I think I'll end up joining them. However, my laziness may be offset by the amount of work needed to build said trap (resource collecting, risks taken, etc…)…
kawaiidaigakusei at 10:44PM, May 1, 2014
(online)
My five year old cousin was teaching me about minecraft. Five years old! I tried to dig deep down to look for zombies and I did not hear a single one. :(

Breaking Bad is taking over my life. I am about five years late to get on the bandwagon but it is living up to all the hype and more. I laugh out loud at the most inappropriate times. It is a better comedy than shows that try to be funny.
Currently Watching: Season 2 Episode 8.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Lonnehart at 12:08AM, May 2, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
My five year old cousin was teaching me about minecraft. Five years old! I tried to dig deep down to look for zombies and I did not hear a single one. :(

Breaking Bad is taking over my life. I am about five years late to get on the bandwagon but it is living up to all the hype and more. I laugh out loud at the most inappropriate times. It is a better comedy than shows that try to be funny.
Check your difficulty mode. If it's set to “Peaceful” that might be why seeing as hostile mobs almost never show up in that mode.

Breaking Bad? I think I'll take a look at that. I could use a new comedy to look at. Been watching reruns of Web Soup lately. One thing I could never figure out… why do the guys in the show's videos keep subjecting their crotches to some really bad injuries? X_X
Ironscarf at 5:48AM, May 2, 2014
(offline)
Skullbie wrote:
Have you guys ever seen a chicken battle a rabbit?
Skullbie your backyard sounds like a Warner Bros cartoon

Having to cut fats from my diet has caused me to rediscover some old favourites, mostly tinned sardines on toast - something I hadn't eaten since I was a kid. Back then it was just tinned sardines in tomato sauce, but now you can get them in all kinds of oils and sauces. Cajun sardines - do they really eat tinned sardines in Louisiana?
bravo1102 at 7:52AM, May 2, 2014
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
I only discovered Game of Thrones two months ago. Now I'm actually keeping up with it because someone puts up a torrent of the current episode within hours of it's premiere. Then there was that guy from Belgium who already had all of season four. But he took it down. I probably won't watch Breaking Bad as it hits too close to home in a couple of ways.

I downloaded season one of the classic 1960's TV show Combat! Who knew many of episodes were directed by Robert Altman! Good stuff for a TV show about WWII. And I got every episode of the Twilight Zone. All 146. Keep me busy for a while as I'm kind of anime'd out right now. Though I did download Rape Zombie: Lust of the Dead. The Japanese just know how to take stuff to heights of nonsensical ridiculousness that beats out Occidental movies.
Ozoneocean at 9:37PM, May 2, 2014
(online)
You guys need to know that Gunwallace is just as much an amazing musician as he is a writer. He's sending me amazing stuff for future Quackcasts!
Tonight's Quackcast will be on designing weapons and mecha for comics and other creative media. :)

———-

Skulbie, that chicken rabbit battle is hillarious! I've seen a rabbit get involved in a catfight before. They haven't got much options as fighters, but they do love to ram with those bullet heads of theirs.

———–

Breaking bad is a great show to watch! The season with the aircrash is weak, but all the rest are great!
Silly Walt… so much pride, so much paranoia. Great to see a villain slowley and carefully created like that though. I don't know if they've done that in any other show.
Skullbie at 9:52AM, May 3, 2014
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:

Having to cut fats from my diet has caused me to rediscover some old favourites, mostly tinned sardines on toast - something I hadn't eaten since I was a kid. Back then it was just tinned sardines in tomato sauce, but now you can get them in all kinds of oils and sauces. Cajun sardines - do they really eat tinned sardines in Louisiana?
Diet? You gaining weight? Everyone knows the secret to weight loss is ACAI BERRY PLUS
Actually speaking of gimmicky/dubious food, I kind of wanted to try soylent. Some guy tried it and lost 7lbs in a week.
—————
So, tentatively, I've been getting stuff together for a lawsuit
against my previous place of employment… I don't want to get too into
the details of what they did to me, but I guess the big point would be a
glitch that caused my hourly wage to go below the legal limit of AZ
that was never corrected nor compensated, and the verbal abuse from the
manager, which I only have proof from writing down shit he said to me.
(this is the same guy who called the gay dude at work a ‘fucking faggot’ in
front of the entire workplace)
I'm a little scared, but it's not like I have to file all this shit now. Some claims take years and years.
Ironscarf at 4:30PM, May 4, 2014
(offline)
Skullbie wrote:
Diet? You gaining weight? Everyone knows the secret to weight loss is ACAI BERRY PLUS
Actually speaking of gimmicky/dubious food, I kind of wanted to try soylent. Some guy tried it and lost 7lbs in a week.

It's not a weight issue! Apparently I was in the cholesterol danger zone so the doc put me on a fat free diet. That worked quite well and as a side effect I lost 30lb - who knew fat was so fattening?
HippieVan at 2:41PM, May 5, 2014
(online)
I'm working on a new Izzy story called “Izzy and the Temple of Bad Cover Bands.” No idea yet what's going to happen.

I'm still having a really good time here. My class is early in the morning which kind of sucks, but also leaves me the whole day for exploring. Today I found an awesome, huge art store where I had to try very hard to restrain myself from buying everything. Ended up getting a tiny portable set of watercolours (I hope they don't suck) and some watercolour paper. There are also way more graphic novels to be found here…for whatever reason Quebec has a great comic book culture. I haven't found any good clothes shopping yet, though.

Also, the men are so handsome here! :) I think just more diverse than on the prairies, probably.
Ozoneocean at 8:43PM, May 5, 2014
(online)
Hippie has found Dexter 9, secret planet of the milkfed boys :)
…LEXX reference. The world needs more LEXX references!
Hoory for Izzy!!!!!!

People should have a look at and maybe leave a comment on the latest Newspost about Villians, there's a interesting discussion happening there. Also I need contributions for my Quackcast on Mecha and weaponry in comics.

——-

Weeeeee, booring my arse off at work. Time to work on my latest drawing. It's a pic of me as a spacehero whose torso is constructed entirely out of abbs, while my Quackcast partnet is a short fat balloon (also a crazed one eyed hillbilly), Tantz Ariene and Pit Face are innaproprately sexualised, and Abt Nihil is charactured as a German sterotype.

Offensive much?
Well it's not really based on any of the people mentioned, it's based on comedy characters they gave life to. It's great to know people well enough that they can take things like that in good fun.
But I think the Ozoneocean space-abb hero thing has reached its course after three pics on the subject. It's time to make the “Banes” version where HE is the buff hero and Ozone is a skinny little runt with a potbelly.
last edited on May 5, 2014 8:46PM
HippieVan at 11:15AM, May 6, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Hippie has found Dexter 9, secret planet of the milkfed boys :)
…LEXX reference. The world needs more LEXX references!
Hoory for Izzy!!!!!!
People should have a look at and maybe leave a comment on the latest Newspost about Villians, there's a interesting discussion happening there. Also I need contributions for my Quackcast on Mecha and weaponry in comics.
Haha, I didn't get the reference and had to look that up on youtube. WTF?
I can't believe that was a Canadian show.
Ozoneocean at 7:23PM, May 6, 2014
(online)
Indeedy! One of the finest SciFi series ever; it went places no other SciFi series ever has :D
There were German and British production teams in there too, but it was frimly and proudly Canadian.
Ozoneocean at 7:25PM, May 6, 2014
(online)
…unintented erection joke. But that certainly fits in fine with the LEXX humour.
Genejoke at 11:05PM, May 6, 2014
(online)
So, these here forums are pretty dead. new users try do not get involved as they see the deadness and go elsewhere. We need to turn the tide and bring them back to life. With that in mind I think all us semi active folk should make an effort to get things moving and hope that it sparks some new life into the place.
Ironscarf at 2:10AM, May 7, 2014
(offline)
Well said that man! get busy on these forums everyone or you'll have me - a notorious internet stalker - to answer to.

I'm working on a new Izzy story called Izzy and the Temple of Bad Cover Bands. No idea yet what's going to happen.

Having a great title and no idea what's going to happen is incredibly exciting - I envy you Hippie! A world of possibilities await.
last edited on May 7, 2014 2:28AM
Skullbie at 4:24AM, May 7, 2014
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
So, these here forums are pretty dead. new users try do not get involved as they see the deadness and go elsewhere. We need to turn the tide and bring them back to life. With that in mind I think all us semi active folk should make an effort to get things moving and hope that it sparks some new life into the place.
Well you can always go to comicfury where the admin will make a huge one-sided maniplative PM where he apparently has the power to tell exactly what people (scarf and i in this case) were thinking at the time in case readers would dare try to make up their own minds. Gotta packpedal over the backlash of such a retarded ban after all. /rant
———-
It got to see another chicken battle! It's funny how the lowest of the pecking order are the most vicious to other animals? If they had that zest in the roost they would rein supreme in no time! But yeah we have about three wild rabbits outside who will let you get within four feet without running away. I haven't seen them in the ‘chicken’ backyard in a while though, they hang out with the goats all the time.
Ironscarf at 5:10AM, May 7, 2014
(offline)
Skullbie wrote:
Genejoke wrote:

Well you can always go to comicfury where the admin will make a huge one-sided maniplative PM where he apparently has the power to tell exactly what people (scarf and i in this case) were thinking at the time in case readers would dare try to make up their own minds. Gotta packpedal over the backlash of such a retarded ban after all. /rant
———-

The part you didn't see when you signed up to KafkaFury:

You agree to your supposedly private messages being made public at any time, without your prior knowledge or consent, carefully edited and interspersed with an admin commentary to tell people exactly what you were thinking at the time. You will have no opportunity to defend yourself. This is purely for the purposes of portraying you as a dangerous internet stalker, should the need for damage limitation arise and does not affect your statutory rights.
last edited on May 7, 2014 5:33AM
Genejoke at 5:37AM, May 7, 2014
(online)
Internet stalker man… I sent you a PQ.
yeah cf forums are more busy, they are what inspired me to try and get juices flowing here a bit more.
bravo1102 at 7:26AM, May 7, 2014
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
You agree to your supposedly private messages being made public at any time, without your prior knowledge or consent, carefully edited and interspersed with an admin commentary to tell people exactly what you were thinking at the time. You will have no opportunity to defend yourself. This is purely for the purposes of portraying you as a dangerous internet stalker, should the need for damage limitation arise and does not affect your statutory rights.
Scary part is that all of the user terms and conditions are considered to be under Texas law. Very hard to try defamation in the USA unless you're a public figure. And since you're all overseas even harder. And unfortunately the admins of Kafkafury (love that) don't live in Texas so you can't give'em what a Texan would.
Hey you you kyo?… BLAM! Was self-defence. Look here what he wrote ‘bout me on the internet.
Shit son, he got what he deserved. Case dismissed.

A guy can dream. And I know what foreigners think of the Big, drawl speaking, gun-loving, self-righteous, independant minded American. That image fits Texans best. They pride themselves on being like that.

I have some scripts and some avatars for new comics ready. They’ll be anthologies so I can put several stories under one title and maybe carry a comic year to year instead of one shot and it's over. The standalones I have now fit into the anthology categories because that's how I've been writing most of my stories since I started.
Lonnehart at 3:48PM, May 7, 2014
(online)
Ugh… got another nightmare I just woke up from. I dreamt that I'm at a wedding and that I'm the groom. Just as I was saying my vows with the veiled woman next to me, a man who says he's her father points a shotgun at my head, pulls the trigger… and I wake up.

The thing I hate about my dreams? Sometimes they have this huge chance to come true. O_O
I better hope this is simply some sort of subconcious fear that only surfaces in dreams though… It'd be a pretty bad thing to go out right before experiencing the happiest moments in life.
last edited on May 7, 2014 3:50PM
HippieVan at 4:28PM, May 7, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Indeedy! One of the finest SciFi series ever; it went places no other SciFi series ever has :D
There were German and British production teams in there too, but it was frimly and proudly Canadian.

The milkfed boys weren't quite my type, but I might have to check it out anyways. It seems to weird not to.

Genejoke wrote:

Definitely! We seem to get some good contributions when we have quackcast threads. What if we were to have a new discussion thread once a week or so on a different topic to get the ball rolling? Just brainstorming here! And of course I'll do whatever I can to promote the forum through the newsposts, although I'm not sure how many more people are reading those. :P

ironscarf wrote:

You guys need to start linking to some of these forum discussions or something! I need more comicfury gossip!

skullbie wrote:
It got to see another chicken battle! It's funny how the lowest of the pecking order are the most vicious to other animals? If they had that zest in the roost they would rein supreme in no time! But yeah we have about three wild rabbits outside who will let you get within four feet without running away. I haven't seen them in the ‘chicken’ backyard in a while though, they hang out with the goats all the time.

Rabbits are kind of interesting in terms of their defense…they look like they don't have anything going for them, but they're super strong. My rabbits are always throwing heavy things around with their teeth. If you pick up a bunny (that doesn't just sit in its cage all day, anyway) you can feel how muscular they are. They also apparently have really tough skin, so a predator has to give them a pretty good chomp to break it.

I've been skyping with my dad and little sister a bit while I've been away, and I answered a couple times having painted my face just for fun. The first time I said that my cat wanted to say hi and then it was just me with a cat face, and then yesterday I did a whole bit where I was bitten by a vampire bat off screen and came in as a vampire. Now they expect me to keep doing it, though, and those were basically my only ideas…so any face paint ideas are appreciated. :P
HippieVan at 4:30PM, May 7, 2014
(online)
Oh man, I made a typo in my last post but I'm too afraid of having to re-do all my quotes to go back and fix it. -_-

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon