Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Lonnehart at 3:31PM, May 16, 2014
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
and I'll sit wasting away in a festering old armchair for the rest of my days, staring out of the window and waiting for the phone to ring until I eventually die of a broken heart and I'm discovered by a neighbour two weeks later, half eaten by cats.

Um… I hope you don't do that. Instead you should make a bucket list of things you want to do before you leave this world, then try to finish it.

Or dream of finishing it (which is my plan)… :)
HippieVan at 4:24PM, May 16, 2014
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
I can partly understand how your dad is feeling Hippie -my daughter, who's 11, is about to spend her first week away from home on a school trip. It's just dawning on me that before I know it, they'll be grown up and leave and this time will be over and I'll sit wasting away in a festering old armchair for the rest of my days, staring out of the window and waiting for the phone to ring until I eventually die of a broken heart and I'm discovered by a neighbour two weeks later, half eaten by cats.

Lets hope she has a nice time.
I have SO MUCH GUILT about this.

Seriously though, my dad seemed to be feeling (or at least acting) a lot better today. I read this to him and he thought it was really funny. :D

I appreciate your support, everyone. :) I probably overreacted yesterday after a long day when things didn't go as planned.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Ozoneocean at 4:33AM, May 17, 2014
(online)
I'm glad that's resloved hippie :)

@Skull- Ahhhhhhhh!! That all makes sense now! My own collection of anime figure is pretty teeny and limited to sexy female figurines :D

—–

I put all my recent Banes and Ozone Scifi stuff inspired by the Quackcast comedy bits into a Google gallery. It culminates in the “Banes” version (also drawn by me) which shows HIM as the hero conqueror and me as a freak :)
Here: https://plus.google.com/photos/111477130608520952736/albums/6014337222950065057

Those characters are worthy of their own figurines!
Lonnehart at 2:13AM, May 18, 2014
(online)
HAHAHA!!! Now put that into animation and post it on Youtube. :)
Banes at 7:23PM, May 18, 2014
(offline)
Damn, those pics are hysterical and well done. Talented bastard, that ozone!
That said, the sight of my…shorts…area in that last pic is quite disturbing to me. Devastatingly accurate, but disturbing.

Skullbie at 8:23PM, May 18, 2014
(online)
Shopping for exercise equipment online is hard. It's al rated 3.5 stars and you never know who you can trust. Anyways I'm getting one of theseee babies.

It amazes me how many places ship massive equipment to your house for
free, i mean, how does that even happen? I could not even lift the last
two exercise bikes I bought. The last bike I got was like 150lbs and 6 ft long, i could feel it mocking me, like going into bed bath and beyond to the aisle where all the scales and magnifying mirrors are up on a shelf that's too high. Anyways I look forward to trying to use this on my bed since I have a back death wish. I could burn calories in comfy pillows and cat snuggle
DarioCOMICS at 11:27PM, May 18, 2014
(online)
check out my shit!
JoeL_CQB at 2:06AM, May 19, 2014
(online)
Skullbie wrote:
Shopping for exercise equipment online is hard. It's al rated 3.5 stars and you never know who you can trust. Anyways I'm getting one of theseee babies.

It amazes me how many places ship massive equipment to your house for
free, i mean, how does that even happen? I could not even lift the last
two exercise bikes I bought. The last bike I got was like 150lbs and 6 ft long, i could feel it mocking me, like going into bed bath and beyond to the aisle where all the scales and magnifying mirrors are up on a shelf that's too high. Anyways I look forward to trying to use this on my bed since I have a back death wish. I could burn calories in comfy pillows and cat snuggle
where is the seat on that thing?
bravo1102 at 6:53AM, May 19, 2014
(offline)
JoeL_CQB wrote:
Skullbie wrote:

I could burn calories in comfy pillows and cat snuggle
where is the seat on that thing?
I don't think you sit on it. It sits on you and you pedal.

The secret behind low to free postage is volume. You get a mass contract with the shipper and ship for next to nothing. Then there's knowing how to have the price include the postage and just not tell the consumer that it could be cheaper if you weren't mailing it.
Ozoneocean at 8:03AM, May 19, 2014
(online)
DarioCOMICS wrote:
check out my shit!

You need a doctor for that sort of thing… and a biohazzard sample bag!

@Banes- All ahil the button-penis!!!!! I wish mine was as inpressive.

—————–

That bike thing looks weird… About shipping- I O read recently that freeshipping for things on Ebay is done by the seller getting a bit of a discount on postage and then just incorporating the cost of shipping into the item price. -even when they don't get discounts on shipping they still just stick it in the item price and that makes the shipping “free”.
last edited on May 19, 2014 9:24AM
Ironscarf at 6:17PM, May 19, 2014
(offline)
Bike thing looks designed to be something you could put under your desk and cycle like crazy while working on your webcomic, which could help to counteract the unhealthy aspects of webcomicing, namely back problems, heart disease and premature death. I'd like a 9ft cintiq, so I could work up a sweat throwing virtual paint like an abstact expressionist.

Also DarioCOMICS, try googling Bristol Stool Chart and following the recommedations for your particular output.
last edited on May 19, 2014 6:22PM
Lonnehart at 10:02PM, May 19, 2014
(online)
So I suggested to my brother in law that I'd try to create a giant statue of one of his fighting roosters in Minecraft. He and my sister convinced me NOT to do it…
That bicycle thing…

I guess it could work. Personally I prefer one of those automated stairmasters… If anything an automated stairmaster will get me off my desk. :)

And finally got the call to come in to work. I don't really want to work right now, but I do need the hours (I'll still be two hours short when I'm done with this job tonight). Oh, well… better than nothing.

Time to learn some more Blender. If I learn it enough maybe I can supplement my income by making animations and using Youtube's partnership program… Yeah… an animated Oppai Troopers show will be nice and if the ideas I have in my head work well, I won't need voice actors. :)
last edited on May 20, 2014 1:58AM
bravo1102 at 9:15AM, May 20, 2014
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:

About shipping- I O read recently that freeshipping for things on Ebay is done by the seller getting a bit of a discount on postage and then just incorporating the cost of shipping into the item price. -even when they don't get discounts on shipping they still just stick it in the item price and that makes the shipping “free”.
For example when selling my mother's Christmas Plates it was either $.99 with $5.00 shipping or do $6.99 with FREE SHIPPING. Guess which sold better? And I got an extra dollar out of it. Some stuff made in Asia is so discounted in its native country that with the full postage it is still cheaper than retail in the USA. I've supported several hard working Korean college students who sell model kits for cheap on the side. Come on $22.99 with free postage for a kit that is $28 discounted retail in the USA? And those Asians complete ruthlessly trying to undersell the other guy by a few pennies.
Skullbie at 1:35PM, May 20, 2014
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:

That bicycle thing…

I guess it could work. Personally I prefer one of those automated stairmasters… If anything an automated stairmaster will get me off my desk. :)
My only problem with ellipticals/treadmills is you cant really do anything while you run them. You're bouncing around and cant really focus on anything other than running. On a bike you can play video games, browse the net, watch tv, etc.
———————–
So my dad is starting to show hoarder tendancies. It's impossible to throw anything out without him noticing. He's seriously freaking me out, to the point where ive developed an anti-hoarder thing and started throwing away anything i dont use. Recently he doesn't want to throw away the broken vacumn with a fried motor thats been sitting on the front porch for months, and, ugh, he actually dug out a used catbox out of the trashcan to use as a tool storage. This thing has been soaked in piss, i even offered to buy him a catbox or container and he said no.
HippieVan at 3:55PM, May 20, 2014
(online)
Apparently I had a crazy neighbour move in and I didn't even know about it! My landlord came to collect the rent, and asked if I had met the woman who moved into the apartment next to mine. I said I hadn't and asked why, and he said she was only there very briefly before going berserk, complaining that nobody liked her and the neighbours (me and the lovely couple who live on the other side of me, I guess) were out to get her and were stealing her shoes. She showed him that one shoe had also been returned while she was out. Apparently she had like 100+ pairs…I don't even know how she would fit that many shoes into these tiny apartments! He just gave her her money back and told her this place wasn't for her…probably a good thing!

Skullbie wrote:
My only problem with ellipticals/treadmills is you cant really do anything while you run them. You're bouncing around and cant really focus on anything other than running. On a bike you can play video games, browse the net, watch tv, etc.
I like to do my textbook reading on the exercise bike! Kill two “Waaaah I don't want to do this” birds with one stone. I read a lot of Franz Fanon's The Wretched of the Earththat way.

Sorry about your dad, that sounds really sucky. My mom used to dig stuff out of the garbage too, although she didn't hoard things. She grew up really poor, though. My dad's very class-conscious and he absolutely hated it, even when we were pretty poor too.
Ozoneocean at 8:04PM, May 20, 2014
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
I'd like a 9ft cintiq, so I could work up a sweat throwing virtual paint like an abstact expressionist.

Speaking of crazy Cintiqs, I think I'd really love one of the new Cintiq hybrids.
They're only about 9 or 10 inches diagnolly, but they work as an Android tablet while on the go and a standard Cintiq when hooked up to your comp, which means you don't have to switch digital devices - like I do now. And unlike the standalone portable cintiq/computer Wacom also sell or a Microsoft surface for which you also don't need to switch devices, the ability to hook it up to your comp means that you can always access more power than could be available on the device alone, plus the Android mode would save way more power than running full Windows.

The small size would mean I'd be holding it in my hands when working on my comp, which is a more natural, comfortable drawing postion for me. My current Cintiq isn't very good for drawing on. I HATE drawing at easels and that's just was a normal Cintiq is. It's a great position for colouring/digital painting, because I trained to paint at easels, but for drawing I've found my Note tablet WAAAAAAAAAY more fun and productive to used than my Cintiq has ever been.

But there's the expense… It's hard to justify spending on another tablet when I've already got so many devices that work great already. I have a prejudice against replacing or doubling up on devices that work fine.
Unlike the rest of my family, who seem to have zero scruples about buying as much redundant stuff as possible!

I am a reforming hoarder. One day at a time :)
last edited on May 20, 2014 8:41PM
Gunwallace at 10:09PM, May 20, 2014
(offline)
If you listen to the Quackcasts you may have heard the unoffical theme tunes I've been making on GarageBand. So far there's PinkyTA, Innapropiate Irving, and coming soon Anti-Featured. if you would like a short piece of amateurish music for your comic send me a PQ. You can suggest a genre of music, but some are almost certainly beyond me, so I won't promise anything beyond trying.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Lonnehart at 12:24AM, May 21, 2014
(online)
Ugh. I keep getting phonecalls from “indian” scam artists. They will tell you that “your computer is generating a lot of Windows errors”. My response? “I use a Mac tablet.”. They then change their story to match mine and then I tell them I don't have internet. They hung up. They must be making tons of money if they're going to keep going at it…

And then there was that one time that I “got upset” and told them Microsoft told me they'd never call me for any reason… they hung up then and there too.

I think I read of this one case where one person was called. That person knew what was going on. So he began giving the scammer the runaround. In the end the scammer was very angry when the person he called informed him that he works for Microsoft and hung up. I get a chuckle when I think of that. :)
last edited on May 21, 2014 12:30AM
Ozoneocean at 1:10AM, May 21, 2014
(online)
Gunwallace wrote:

If you listen to the Quackcasts you may have heard the unoffical theme tunes I've been making on GarageBand. So far there's PinkyTA, Innapropiate Irving, and coming soon Anti-Featured. if you would like a short piece of amateurish music for your comic send me a PQ. You can suggest a genre of music, but some are almost certainly beyond me, so I won't promise anything beyond trying.
YES! Your music is GREAT and it's amazing to have a theme for your stuff made for free by someone!
Lonnehart wrote:

In the end the scammer was very angry
I've found it's easy to make them mad… I just act really dumb and ask them what a computer is.
Skullbie at 12:55PM, May 22, 2014
(online)

My dad found another catbox. I dont even know where it came from. Its next to the other one. Why?
I'm going to buy 5 catboxes tomorrow and put them on the front porch.
HippieVan at 3:21PM, May 22, 2014
(online)
I went and got my makeup done at Sephora yesterday (had a thingy for a free makeover). Here's how I ended up looking:

It was way more eye makeup than I'd ever wear myself unless I was going somewhere dimly lit or something…this was the middle of the day, mind you. She did a really nice job on my skin, though!

There were also about seven million primers and setting products used along with the actual makeup. O.o
Ironscarf at 5:31PM, May 22, 2014
(offline)
I think the eye makeup is totally justified - it makes you look like the sixties! They didn't give you that really unnatural face mask effect either.

ozoneocean wrote:
Speaking of crazy Cintiqs, I think I'd really love one of the new Cintiq hybrids. They're only about 9 or 10 inches diagnolly, but they work as an Android tablet while on the go and a standard Cintiq when hooked up to your comp, which means you don't have to switch digital devices - like I do now. And unlike the standalone portable cintiq/computer Wacom also sell or a Microsoft surface for which you also don't need to switch devices, the ability to hook it up to your comp means that you can always access more power than could be available on the device alone, plus the Android mode would save way more power than running full Windows.

This is my ultimate dream really - to be free to work on the move and have everything I need right there, instead of being biomechanically tied to one spot. Sounds like the technology is there - I'll just have to wait for it to trickle down.
last edited on May 22, 2014 5:33PM
Lonnehart at 6:05PM, May 22, 2014
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
I went and got my makeup done at Sephora yesterday (had a thingy for a free makeover). Here's how I ended up looking:

It was way more eye makeup than I'd ever wear myself unless I was going somewhere dimly lit or something…this was the middle of the day, mind you. She did a really nice job on my skin, though!

There were also about seven million primers and setting products used along with the actual makeup. O.o
Heh… you'd like my eldest niece. She's close to your age (she's 20 now I think) and she LOVES messing around with makeup. :)
bravo1102 at 4:44PM, May 23, 2014
(offline)
HippieVan wrote:

It was way more eye makeup than I'd ever wear myself unless I was going somewhere dimly lit or something
The eye make-up is justified as it draws attention to them. You almost don't see the rest of the face, just those lovely eyes. And with pigs, um, guys these days you want to do that.

In the anime Ben-to there is this well endowed female character nicknamed “brunette” and you never see her eyes in the whole series. Great running gag about guys just seeing a woman's chest and nothing above the neck least of all the eyes. (They do appear fleetingly in the last episode, blink and you'd miss them) Funny one about kids who fight for helf-price prepackaged food at the end of the day. Also just finished Deadman Wonderland and thought it lame. Just started Attack on Titan and Campione. Something to do at work. I was able to see all 12 episodes and the OVA of Deadman Wonderland in two days. Talk about lots of time on my hands. I should be writing my next comic. You're only as good as your last one and I have nothing right now and I feel weird not having one to update twice a week.
Lonnehart at 7:35PM, May 23, 2014
(online)
Okay. Not sure if I should l laugh or feel terrified…

“Will you help me hide a body?”–Parody of Frozen's “Do You Want to Build a Snowman”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8B56kPd398
kawaiidaigakusei at 7:40PM, May 23, 2014
(online)
Hippie-
The make-up artist really did a fantastic job on your eyes. It highlights your best features, especially the black liner used around the outside edges of your eyes. Really nice work done, from the picture it looks appropriate for everyday use. Also, since when did Sephora start having free make over promotions? (・・?)

Lonne-
Why don't you tell the software scammers that you don't own a phone? That should throw them off for a bit. The way I used to handle telemarketers was that I would go stealth silent, and wait for them to reject/hang up on me.

There used to be a time that a drink made to my exact specifications would dictate whether I was having a good or bad day. It sounds like rubbish now, but it helped reinforce my strength as an effective communicator with a barrista. Eventually, my favorite drink was removed from the menu and I abstained from custom ordering a drink that did not exist to avoid looking even more pompous. I spent years inbetween trying out different orders like unsweetened hibiscus tea or black iced coffee, but none of them lasted. That all changed last week when I saw the item back on the menu.

The funny thing is, I try being as polite as possible given the ridiculous nature of my order (I find dressing in a coordinated professional outfit helps to receive positive customer service). Tonight was no exception. I placed my order, paid the fee, and they made my same drink order from seven years ago.

I used to have everything mapped out seven years ago, I knew what I wanted and who I wanted to be. It is funny how, even with the best intentions, life pans out a little differently than as planned. At least now I know that I can still order my favorite drink from that era of my life.

So what is my order? It is a bit complicated: A medium, Green Tea ice blended, no syrup, with whole milk, SEVEN scoops of green tea matcha, no whipped cream.

Tonight, the order came out perfect. It was perfection.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on May 23, 2014 7:45PM
Lonnehart at 9:18PM, May 23, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
So what is my order? It is a bit complicated: A medium, Green Tea ice blended, no syrup, with whole milk, SEVEN scoops of green tea matcha, no whipped cream.

Tonight, the order came out perfect. It was perfection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SDIc6bGw9w

Sorry… couldn't resist posting that video. ;)

I'm sad that there's no Starbucks here on Guam. The closest I will ever get are those K-cups that I have to pay $35 for (18 I think). I still prefer coffee over tea though. Just personal preference. :)
Genejoke at 1:14AM, May 24, 2014
(online)
Woo hoo! finally finished the first story in Lore. I always feel relieved to finish a story even if it is part of an ongoing comic.
In the community section of the forum Kou the mad has suggested a DD tournement, you should go and have a look. A fresh community project may help the forums a bit.
kawaiidaigakusei at 2:11AM, May 24, 2014
(online)
Lonne-
It seems you are on a Frozen soundtrack parody kick this week!

Kou the Mad is creative and always thinks up many new ideas.

Kou the Mad wrote:
Back in the day, Deviant Art used to have tournaments that would use original characters who battled it out for supremacy until one won the whole thing and won a prize, all withing the confounds of an overarching Story.
The Best Example being Law of Telos, Which was drawn in comic form (Also in this case Animated by the Very Talented Zeurel for the fights involving Karl.)
I Would like to propose to you All the idea of a Collaborative Comic…….The Drunk Duck World Tournament.

Tournament Topic Link: http://theduckwebcomics.com/forum/topic/176146/

A tournament?

This reminds me of the Fightsplosion section of the forums. It used to be pretty popular and independently run by mods and other members. I am not sure if it ever inspired a comic.
Fightsplosion link: http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/forum/9888/

In an unrelated note, I always like to imagine if all the Drunk Duck users were flung into a Burning Man type scenario where people had to survive in a desert for four days without food, water, and shelter. Who would make the best team to work with/barter with/make alliances with in order to survive the week?
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
HippieVan at 7:27PM, May 24, 2014
(online)
Thanks for the compliments, guys! I may just have to try a similar look on my own since everyone seems to like it. :)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Hippie-
The make-up artist really did a fantastic job on your eyes. It highlights your best features, especially the black liner used around the outside edges of your eyes. Really nice work done, from the picture it looks appropriate for everyday use. Also, since when did Sephora start having free make over promotions? (・・?)

If you get a $50 gift card it comes with a free makeover…not sure if they do that everywhere, though.

I'm tempted to try your starbucks drink, just to see what it's like! I tend to prefer sweet drinks, though…I imagine it's pretty bitter without syrup! I haven't been to a Starbucks since I got here because Montreal is so full of independent coffee shops.

I'm taking a really cool online course called “Ancient World through Film.” No textbook, we just read the primary source material and watch films. I'm currently reading parts of the Odyssey and really enjoying it, except that it's pretty violent. The description of him defeating the Cyclops is really graphic and disgusting. :/
last edited on May 25, 2014 7:37AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon