Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Black_Kitty at 11:21AM, July 24, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakuseiwrote:
Thank you everyone for feedback on the subject of one-uppers! I have been evaluating some of my social circles lately and seen where I no longer see eye-to-eye on life priorities. There is such a thing as a toxic friend and it is not healthy to be around people who are cold. I have decided to surround myself with positive people who bring out the best in me and to distance myself from personalities who drag me down. I read that you start out your twenties with a lot of friends and leave your twenties with a few quality ones. I need to hang out with more creative types–like webcomic creators–you are all awesome!

I was secretly expecting a simple, one-dimensional answer like, "Thirty-Five. People stop caring about what others think at Age Thirty-Five." Of course humans are not one-dimensional, some are very complex. The trickiest part is when a friendship has a history that spans many years.

In fact, you have all shared a wealth of knowledge that has definitely shaped my perspective for the better. One thing is for sure from the look of it, there will always be people who try to be better than everyone else. But from the tone of responses, people wise up to the fact that it is all nonsense and gain a sense of humor from it.

Oh that's some tricky stuff. I had a similar thing happen in my early twenties. My life changed dramatically in a span of a couple of months and I eventually had a falling out with some of my friends whom I had known for ten years.

The reality that I had to accept was that I was dealing with a lot of personal pain and obstacles, that my life priorities were different, and that my life itself was different. People change and evolve so friendships have to evolve with it. This is especially true if these are friends from high school. In high school, everyone is, for the most part, hitting similar life mile stones. When you get out of high school, things change and they change at different times and pace for people. I have friends who still go to clubs/pubs and drink until they're smashed out of their minds. In that same circle of friends, I have someone who is a mother now and her baby's bedtime is at 8 PM. Her pub crawl days are over. (Also nothing like a mortgage to be that cold rain on your parade.) Nobody's right or wrong, we just have different priorities.

I still see these friends, but with less frequency. We've known each other for almost 17 years. At the time of the falling out it was painful. I felt incredibly lonely. But I needed a different kind of friendship because the one I had then was for a different person, a person I couldn't be anymore.

Sorry I am super long winded! Good luck with things!

Also I like this quotation from Louis CK:
The only time you look in your neighbor's bowl is to make sure that they have enough. You don't look in your neighbor's bowl to see if you have as much as them.
Also, whoaaa, Black Kitty and ozoneocean posting on the forums makes it feel like it is 2007 again. ♪( ▽`)

Hello, Black Kitty! I remember when you and Mr. Spook used to do Drive-Bys for the Night Gig on the Gigcast. I used to listen to that podcast just for the feature spotlights on DD peeps. You were also one of the original comic featurers/newspost writers. I think of you as a Drunk Duck celebrity/admin upperclassman.

This is better than ComicCon.
Hello hello!

Awww! Thank you so much for listening to them! I had a lot of fun with Mister Spook (and later SpANG) doing them. So happy to hear that you were listening and enjoyed them too! :D
Lonnehart at 11:36AM, July 24, 2014
(online)
And now I wonder.. who else is going to return? :)
Thought I'd use the camera on my tablet to take pics of my new friend…. and an old favorite. Whirl is that one guy who you think is insane, but in fact he knows exactly what he's doing…

I also like him because he's not a “standard” robot mode guy (claws instead of hands, lupine jointed legs, one eye, etc)…
Ironscarf at 5:15AM, July 25, 2014
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
And now I wonder.. who else is going to return? :)
College lemur? Something like that anyway, can't quite remember her name but she used to post news and the like.

Hello Black Kitty. :3
Skullbie at 7:28PM, July 25, 2014
(online)
Bring back skoolmunkee!
————
So I was exited today because I thought ‘Jupiter Ascending’ was in theatres today. Look online and its been delayed til february 2015. I mean, i understand not wanting to compete with guardians or turtles, but thats quite a push back.
Just as well. It's by the guy who did cloud atlas which was a big ole ‘look what i can do with make-up effects!’ fart in my mouth.
Black_Kitty at 8:34PM, July 25, 2014
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:

Hello Black Kitty. :3
Hello hello~

What happened to Skoolmunkee?
Lonnehart at 1:07AM, July 26, 2014
(online)
Well, upgraded my machine and now it's running perfectly. Spent too much I think… ow…

This processor does draw in a ton of power. Had to change my power supply from the 575 watt that I was using to 700 watts. I was very tempted to get the 900 watt power supply but that's a lot of overkill… Now let's hope that this AMD FX 8350 (4ghz) isn't so powerful that my house ends up burning down…

Hit one really nasty snag though. I had to “reactivate” my copy of Windows 8.1. Apparently if you change your machine's motherboard it is treated as a new machine and the product key on your disc isn't valid anymore.

Luckily I was able to chat (rather than call) a tech at the Microsoft store and he helped me get it reactivated. :)

So now for the first time in a very long time I have a powerhouse of a computer that I hope I don't have to upgrade for a long time. Well… except maybe for some memory as I have 6 Gs of RAM right now…
Ozoneocean at 4:25AM, July 26, 2014
(online)
Sounds like a beast Lonne. I love the blue heli transformer too, looks very Japanese in design.

—————

Skoolmunkee went crazy and turned ino a hermit.
Am I joking? :3
Partly…
If you want her back talk to her on Twitter, it seems the only place she's really active these days: https://twitter.com/skoolmunkee
kawaiidaigakusei at 1:43AM, July 27, 2014
(online)
I have spent the better half of the night drafting a sketch based on the High Line in New York City. It is the first time I have worked on anything with perspective for a long time. There is something about having no disruptions, listening to “The Album Leaf” with my oversized headphones, and inking perspective that is completely calming and lets me be alone with my thoughts. I really feel at home whenever I draw.

And here is the final colored version:
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on July 27, 2014 4:43AM
Skullbie at 6:08PM, July 27, 2014
(online)
Stray kitty is still here. Unfortunately, he has some anger issues towards humans and is not allowed inside. :/ Hissing at humans and moving to attack hands -not okay. This kind of sucks because now I can't really recommend him to any friends for adoption, and being a stray outside isn't the prime quality of life. (we keep feed and water for him 24/7, but still). He is a very sweet cat otherwise, always wants attention and to be pet, but the stimulation from being around people seems to turn on some sort of switch after a while.
No clue what to do.
Ozoneocean at 7:56PM, July 27, 2014
(online)
Great one-point perspective Kawii. The style in the original skecth reminds me of the technical drawing I was trained to do back in highschool yers and years ago.

Heh, back in highschool I took all the art calsses I could… till there weren't any left. So then I took all the “tech-drawing” classes. That was all with tilted desks, protractors, compases, T-squares, right angles and all sort of measuring tools, and special inking pens, mechnical pencils, and markers. We learned acturate, mathematical perspective, product design, architechiral drawings, engineering drawings of engine parts in expolded perspective fully rendered with colour…
No computers.
Best training I could've had! My teacher used to draw up designes for spitfire fighter planes in Glasgow

Later on at art school and university I was mystified when it look people so long to to grasp the concept.
I think that was one of my biggest disapointments in tertiary education in art: very little technical training. It's great to have big ideas and know about all the exciting things in the art world from 5000BC up to now, but if you're lacking in skill then how're you ever going to be able to truly emulate or excede any of it? If what you produce is truly just a reflection of your lack of ability- that colours my appreciation of a lot of what comes out of artschools these days.
Lonnehart at 11:21PM, July 27, 2014
(online)
Wow… I was kidding when I said my new CPU might burn my house down. Except I may not have been…

My case felt hot while playing a session of Neverwinter. Found out that my new CPU was generating more heat than it's supposed to. It's maximum operation temperature was 62 degrees celsius. Mine was running ten degrees higher than that.

First I invested in a good CPU cooler. That helped… a little. Then did a little research and found out the apparent cause… my CPU was drawing more power than it's supposed to. And it's apparently set that way by the factory.

Thanks to that research I know how to undervolt the CPU. Basically I changed its settings so it draws in less power. Less voltage means less heat generated, but the CPU's performance is unaffected as long as I don't undervolt too low.

I guess that means I can learn to overclock now? :)
bravo1102 at 7:11AM, July 28, 2014
(offline)
You sure the CPU isn't supposed to double as a hot plate and coffee warmer? 72 C is 161 Fahrenheit and would keep your coffee from getting cold.
last edited on July 28, 2014 7:13AM
Lonnehart at 3:24PM, July 28, 2014
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
You sure the CPU isn't supposed to double as a hot plate and coffee warmer? 72 C is 161 Fahrenheit and would keep your coffee from getting cold.
It could. Funny thing is… it gets that hot even when it's burnt out…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uBNCN6v_gk

Well, I've got a good working cooler. It's not the best, but it wasn't expensive and it does the job well.

I'd go with a water based system, but I'm afraid of what a leaky pipe will do to the system…
Captain_Hindsight at 10:38PM, July 28, 2014
(online)
I want to share, it's been so long since I could talk with anyone. My name is… well let's say it's N, I have a birthday coming up in a month and somehow I couldn't believe it to the point where I tracked my internet posts from years ago to nostalgically feel as I once did. I truly don't fucking know when I realized I was a failure, but it must have been around Martin Luther King day 2012, it was the first time I had a gun pulled on me and the only time I was pistolwhipped. In three days I plan to stop by a major city to meet a man who I have a love-hate relationship with and we're gonna discuss how to appropriately conduct future business transactions as my former employer has had a recent skrimish with the DEA that landed me out of work. I'm at my parent's home right now to visit my mother who has cancer and set up her streaming device (like a crappier version of chromecast made by a 3rd world nation), she kept asking me what I do and where I live, she didn't get a straight answer ans was visibly upset. My friends are having children and I'm fucking college freashmen who think I'm hot shit because I sold some frat bro a few pounds of weed; what the fuck am I doing with my life? The money is great, the people are sketchy and the situations are more often than not, objectivly dangerous. But I'll keep doing it and I'll probably cross the wrong person and get killed. I don't really have an explation as to why this is my life, but it is. I'm going to sleep now, I'm glad I could share that.
Ozoneocean at 11:16PM, July 28, 2014
(online)
Good to see you back Marine. :)

I'm guessing.
Captain_Hindsight at 9:26AM, July 29, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Good to see you back Marine. :)

I'm guessing.
Nope, just a common criminal….
Banes at 9:48AM, July 29, 2014
(offline)
@Captain_Hindsight,
I don't know any details about you beyond what you've said here, but it sounds like you have ingredient #1 if you want to change thing: The ability to look at yourself and your situation and assess where you're at and what's going on. That says “hope” to me!

Since you're also a college student, it seems there are possibilities for you. You don't HAVE to be what you've been. And a college freshman - that's a good time to figure out a direction you WANT to go in. For what it's worth, you strike me as a smart person who surely has options.

Very sorry to hear about your Mom.

Ozoneocean at 9:19PM, July 29, 2014
(online)
Make a comic about it, that's what we do here :D
HippieVan at 4:14PM, July 30, 2014
(online)
I am feeling very annoyed right now. I've been without a proper computer for a couple months now, so I finally went to get a new one this weekend at BestBuy. I was pretty clear about what I wanted to use it for (essays, photoshop, occasional games) and ended up getting the computer that the guy recommended to me mostly because it was on sale. Unfortunately I apparently made a big mistake in failing to ask for a model that has all the basic parts of a computer…the goddamn thing has no disk drive! Wtf best buy employees, you didn't think it was a good idea to tell me that or ask if it would be a problem? So now I have to go all the way back and return it.

Shopping somewhere like best buy is irritating enough to begin with. I went with my dad the first time and it seems like whenever I go shopping with a man, the salesperson spends the whole time talking to them even when I make it clear that I'm the customer. For a long time I just thought it was because I look younger than I am, but I think I'm at the point now where people can tell I'm an adult so I don't know what their issue is.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Skullbie at 5:00PM, July 30, 2014
(online)
Appleseed alpha(no spoilers):
Rented this, it's excellent. You grow attached to the side characters immediately and deunan was way more relatable than the last few films. More ‘spunky and funny sidekick’ than action girl. The animation was gorgeous and definitely meant for the western release (all mouths moved to the english words). Anyways its worth a watch if you find it for rent or otherwise.
Lonnehart at 6:32PM, July 30, 2014
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
I am feeling very annoyed right now. I've been without a proper computer for a couple months now, so I finally went to get a new one this weekend at BestBuy. I was pretty clear about what I wanted to use it for (essays, photoshop, occasional games) and ended up getting the computer that the guy recommended to me mostly because it was on sale. Unfortunately I apparently made a big mistake in failing to ask for a model that has all the basic parts of a computer…the goddamn thing has no disk drive! Wtf best buy employees, you didn't think it was a good idea to tell me that or ask if it would be a problem? So now I have to go all the way back and return it.

Shopping somewhere like best buy is irritating enough to begin with. I went with my dad the first time and it seems like whenever I go shopping with a man, the salesperson spends the whole time talking to them even when I make it clear that I'm the customer. For a long time I just thought it was because I look younger than I am, but I think I'm at the point now where people can tell I'm an adult so I don't know what their issue is.
This is one reason why I prefer to build my own computer. You never know what's in that nice new preassembled machine you just bought. I also find that parts are pretty cheap, though that depends on how much of a powerhouse gaming computer you want. The more high end you go, the more it's gonna cost…

Building PCs is not as hard as it probably looks. There are a lot of videos on Youtube (which I'm sure you can access from your tablet) on how to build a PC, including shopping for parts, installing software, etc…

Putting the hardware together is easy enough. Most PC parts will only fit one way (though if you want either an AMD or IBM processor, you have to buy the matching motherboards). Software is the hard part, though I'll have to admit that installing Windows 8 on this machine went more smoothly than I expected, and I didn't have to reinstall it when I changed my motherboard (which is the case with Windows XP).
Ozoneocean at 7:45PM, July 30, 2014
(online)
@Hippie-
I've bought 100% of my computers online for all the years I've bought them. You get better prices that way and it's much easier to know about every single thing you're getting with them.
I haven't had a downside to that yet.
Just find a good local supplier with a good selection and you should be all right- check out any reviews of them etc.
It's SO much easier and better than going into a shop and speaking to a retail moron!
-NOT to say retail people are morons, just the ones I've personally met who sell computers.

@Lonne, PC building is scary and advanced!

@Skulbie-
I'm interested and cautious to see this new version of Appleseed. The last few films of it have been absoloutely terrible. The first film (2d animation) was ok- but that's only going from my distant memory of it, it's been ages since I saw that.
I'd love to see a decent version of it again. Shirrow's source material is worth doing right.
Call Me Tom at 8:10PM, July 30, 2014
(offline)
Ozone Pc bulding isn't hard, I meen if an idiot like me can do it without any training any one can!
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
Lonnehart at 2:04AM, July 31, 2014
(online)
PC building back in the 90's was scary. It wasn't so easy back then… I think I blew up 3 motherboards during that time while learning how to build them. Lots of unstandardized parts and such and it was pretty hard to know which parts were compatible with each other.

Nowadays though it's gotten very easy. As I said before, most parts will only fit one way and the only really hard part is the software installation. But even that's getting a lot easier. Just don't do what Largo does in Megatokyo when putting computers together…. stripping down to your underwear to avoid static electricity damage to the components.

The “advanced and scary” part nowadays is overclocking. Something I will never attempt unless I'm making at least six figures a year. That's getting easier too though thanks to the failsafes built into all computer components nowadays (such as BIOS recovery and CPU threshold shutdowns).

Undervolting my beast of a CPU is probably as far as I get into the overclocking scene as it was only out of desparation. Last thing I need is a melted CPU…
last edited on July 31, 2014 2:19AM
Ironscarf at 3:19PM, July 31, 2014
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
Just don't do what Largo does in Megatokyo when putting computers together…. stripping down to your underwear to avoid static electricity damage to the components.
I've heard of people cleaning those boards by putting them in the dishwasher! I regularly take my pc to pieces with a rusty screwdriver and blitz everything with an old vacuum cleaner - although to be fair, I am usually in my underwear when I do this.

last edited on July 31, 2014 3:20PM
Lonnehart at 5:45PM, July 31, 2014
(online)
They must know what they're doing to stuff circuit boards into a dishwasher.
And then there's this…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcW7Ii_BKo

And I see another link to a computer aquarium…

However, there's no way I'm going to try any of those. O_O
Skullbie at 6:03PM, July 31, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
@Skulbie-
I'm interested and cautious to see this new version of Appleseed. The last few films of it have been absoloutely terrible. The first film (2d animation) was ok- but that's only going from my distant memory of it, it's been ages since I saw that.
I'd love to see a decent version of it again. Shirrow's source material is worth doing right.
I'm actually of the opposite opinon, i think the original manga/anime was poopoo and they were just going off what they could with the films. Best CGI animation i've ever seen though, made me wish they'd have revamped it into a video game series.
Also if you get the bluray turn on the audio to ‘english descriptive services’ and try not to laugh.
Lonnehart at 7:29PM, July 31, 2014
(online)
Heh… found out all of my case fans were backwards. The exhaust side of those fans is where the brackets are. So my setup is supposed to be this…
last edited on July 31, 2014 7:30PM
Ozoneocean at 9:15PM, July 31, 2014
(online)
@Skullbie - Blashemy! Whaaaaa…? O_o
Well, I disagree. I felt those 3D Appleseed films were clunky and cliche… They went from bad to worse.
But I will give the series the benifit of the doubt!
I still haven't gotten around to getting a blueray player… When they finally went down to being realistic prices, online video was actually good enough to watch so I haven't bothered.

I may get a blueray drive for my old computer though- I use it as my main media server now.

—–

Very pretty computer Lonne!
I've considered rebuilding my old tower compinto a big beast machine again- the tower is full sized, with a lot of room, things like ram are cheap again now, an SSD would be great and stuff, but with the cost of things like travel, flashy new swords, hussar gear, phones etc, the cost, time and effort of putting together a beasty seems like too much work.

——-

I Have my plane tickets now! I'm flying off to Europe for a month on the 20th of this month! I'll be back arount the 17th of September when i get the resturn tickets rebooked… I booked the wrong date for the return unfortunately. Doh!
First off I'm joinging my friend Bianka in Turkey, staying there a while then going to other countries in Europe- Greece, Germany, the Netherlands maybe, France… Should be fun!
Hopefully it won't be too hot to wear my sexy Caprtain America jacket. -brown leather '30s style motorbike jacket.
Gunwallace at 1:20AM, Aug. 1, 2014
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Hopefully it won't be too hot to wear my sexy Caprtain America jacket. -brown leather '30s style motorbike jacket.
Then may I introduce you to a Kiwi comic about the American Captain …http://americancaptaincomic.tumblr.com/
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon