Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Call Me Tom at 8:54PM, Nov. 18, 2014
(offline)
To late I just stuck it with a pin!
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
Ironscarf at 2:05AM, Nov. 19, 2014
(offline)
Ayesinback too! Wow, this forum is rapidly becoming a happening and it isn't even fixed yet - imagine the possibilities! Ayes, fingers crossed on the new gig - see how this sounds in your hospital voice:

“Emergeny - crash team to Call Me Tom's house - septic shock - multiple organ dysfunction syndrome - disseminated intravascular coagulation - k I guess there's no hurry - bring a bag”.

Massive pile of ironing to literally tackle - several quackcasts to simultaneously catch up on: today I am literally in the zone!
I mean, today I'm listening to the 'zone. Literally.
bravo1102 at 6:06AM, Nov. 19, 2014
(offline)
ayesinback wrote:

And my happy news? I think I've been offered the job of being the voice of a hospital. The Voice of a Hospital …I doubt the script will be as *interesting* as the possibilities suggest.
Congratulations on being the voice of a hospital!
Dr. Howard, Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine to the OR or ER I can't read the handwriting…
Dr. Howard, Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine to someplace…
The white zone is for loading and unloading of patients only, there is no parking in the white zone…
Parking receipts can be validated at the courtesy desk.
Dr. Howard, Dr. howard, Dr. Fine to the red courtesy phone. That's the red courtesy PHONE and don't give me that colorblind crap! I AM the voice of the hospital! I am all-knowing! I will be obeyed!
Oh yeah, to be the PA person Voice of the Hospital. POWER!
Call Me Tom at 7:12AM, Nov. 19, 2014
(offline)
Ayesinback now you are working in a hosptial I can inpart some of my wisdom. You will find your self sent to many trainning courses (Why just last week I went on a counter terrorism course, I'm not even making that up.) while on these courses try not to snore too loud!
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
ayesinback at 8:57AM, Nov. 19, 2014
(online)
Ah, no, there isn't a hospital that wants me on their grounds (not that I know of). The job is to do their local radio spots for the next 10 years.

The first script arrived and we'll see how the session and end recording turn out, and then … ?

I have to thank all of you who have complimented my voice, if even just once. It gave me the confidence to pursue voice acting. I've only had a half dozen jobs, but I'm beginning to really like some of them. The last one was a 10 minute video documentary about an artist (I was the artist - hahaha, some Real acting there).

—-

About a previous discussion re “older women” (older than what?), I was rather amused. Here's my take: because, Now, we can. Check out
http://www.nextavenue.org/article/2014-11/5-reasons-enjoy-being-old-invisible-woman
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Kroatz at 9:20AM, Nov. 19, 2014
(online)
Hey, Ayes. I've changed the password, that should help. I haven't used that address in almost a year.
Also: What does being the voice of the hospital mean?
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
Banes at 10:46AM, Nov. 19, 2014
(offline)
Kudos on pursuing the voice acting, ayes; you have a great voice. I bet you could do quite well. And it sounds like you are!

Hey, some posts by Kroatz. S'been awhile! Hope yer well.

Call Me Tom - you're taking weekend Jack Bauer courses? Cool!!

Lonnehart at 11:15AM, Nov. 19, 2014
(online)
Congrats on the voice acting job, Ayes. Who knows? Maybe you'll end up with other job offers if other animation companies hear your voice. :)

And here I am looking at theories for a game called Five Nights at Freddy's 2. The theories that its fans have put out are pretty interesting. Just one thing I'm trying to figure out though…

The game is clearly a prequel. There's a ton of evidence to support that fact (the check you get at the end of the five nights is one of them). However, some fans continue to insist that the game is a “sequel”. They think that game takes place AFTER the first one. They also discount the date on the check at the end of the game and the fact that one of the characters in the first game had died.

So what makes someone believe in something so much that they would disgregard and/or skew the evidence in front of them (even if it is physical evidence or if it can be consistently proven to be true) until said evidence “proves” their own theory to be correct the opposing theory to be wrong?
ayesinback at 2:37PM, Nov. 19, 2014
(online)
Kroatz wrote:
Hey, Ayes. I've changed the password, that should help. I haven't used that address in almost a year.
Also: What does being the voice of the hospital mean?

Thanks – my account has gotten squirrely, too. Somehow I keep getting email from “Dr. Oz”. I'd jump on it if I thought it was voice work, but, no. Not.

This particular “voice of the hospital” job means that they only want one voice for their radio spots. As they told me, the last voice was with them for ten years. So, I just sent off two takes from today's session – me with my smartphone (and 3 guys on the other end, with their barking dog) in one hand and my mike plugged into the laptop: Instant Studio. God, how I love Audacity (Thanks again, Genejoke, who told me about it). I should know if I have it sometime next week; a long time to keep fingers crossed.

And thanks to you, too, Banes. Geez, this wee line of work of mine really owes alot to several DDers. XXOOXX

postscript: And who did what to the body of Gullas?
last edited on Nov. 19, 2014 2:39PM
Lonnehart at 4:12PM, Nov. 19, 2014
(online)
So how much does a radio spot pay? I can't imagine that it's a lot since you're saying maybe a few lines over the mic? Still, it could lead you into other roles. I just hope you don't end up being a dub voice in some cheesy schoolboy/girl romance anime… :)
last edited on Nov. 19, 2014 4:13PM
Ozoneocean at 6:37PM, Nov. 19, 2014
(online)
-Older as in 70+ Ayes.
Welcome back BTW :D

——

OMFG
I had a painful pimple in my nose yesterday. It hurt to touch or when I sniffed. But no matter, if you leave these things and don't touch them they go away.
I woke up at 5 am to extreme pain in my face. The whole right side of my damn nose hurts all the time now WITHOUT being touched. Ironically it hurts a bit less when I do touch it.
There is no pimple, it's another fricken infection. The side of my nose is swolen outwards. I held a glass of water to it for a while to cool it down and the glass comes away warm.

I don't really want to go to the doctor again for antibiotics like last time. $100 for the whole trip is such a bloody waste and the time it takes is another waste. I need antibiotics, just fucking give them to me for this isse without your wothless diagnoses fuckery and your stupid fee you overpaid pile of crap…
OK- the other issue is that I'm taking my strong migrain painkillers for this face pain, and one of thie side effects is that it makes me irritable. Pain ALSO makes me very irritable, so the sum of those leads to a sort of seething fury, just waiting to errupt. My whole upper chest and shoulders are filled with tension. -_-
kawaiidaigakusei at 10:09PM, Nov. 19, 2014
(online)
Kroatz, the last time you were on this forum was a little bit over one year ago on Nov. 11, 2013, when you posted:
Kroatz wrote:
You know what? I'm going on a walk right now, maybe I'll be able to see the sun through the thick layer of clouds that has hidden it from me for so long. SUCK IT INTERNET, I'm going OUTSIDE!
It is nice to see that you are back from that walk. Welcome back to Plato's allegorical cave. How is your knitting? I also wanted to mention that the Quackcast you recorded about the Hero's Journey/Monomyth is one of my favorites and I have listened to that episode on multiple occasions.

Congratulations on your happy news, ayesinback! I have said is once before, but your voice on the DD Radio Play and Quackcast recordings had near to perfect elocution of the English language. I believe voice actresses for classic Disney characters such as Princess Aurora in Sleeping Beauty were also highly skilled in word pronunciation.

Lonnehart wrote:
Five Nights at Freddy's 2
I looked up the trailer for that and I was so freaked out that I just watched the “Teens React to FNAF gameplay” instead. I think it is a hilarious concept that the main character just has to sit in a chair all night long for five nights with limited battery power as these freaky animatronic dolls come to life and move around the store. It makes me want to go to a place like Chuck E. Cheese's.

ozoneocean wrote:
There is no pimple, it's another fricken infection. The side of my nose is swollen outwards. I held a glass of water to it for a while to cool it down and the glass comes away warm.
Bummer about the second nasal infection in less than two months. Any pain/infection centered around the face is an inconvenience because it results in that fuzzy feeling. The glass of water turning warmer after being held to your face sounds intense.

Call Me Tom wrote:
So I have this blister full of blood on my left hand shuld I prick it with a pin?
Sorry this is a bit late. I would say that if it was a water blister (like the type that normally forms on toes) then I would poke a small hole to drain out all the clear liquid and hope that the outer layer of skin would reaffix to the inner layer of skin. However, you had a blood blister, and in this case, I would have discouraged popping it yourself, but if it did happen to burst, have an adequate amount of rubbing alcohol and antibiotic ointment to reduce the spread of infection.

HippieVan wrote:
My student group had our annual mixer the other day. It was mostly really goodlots of profs showed up this year, which was nice. I also had a long conversation with a girl who I think I could be good friends with.
Somehow, though, it ended up with the newest member of the association yelling at everyone in the room that we were the snidest, most rude and opinionated people he had ever met and storming off. Fortunately this was after the profs had left. He had been in a group of people on the other side of the room before this happened so I still have no idea what caused it, but apparently it was bad enough that it coloured his opinion of all of us. O.o
I was an officer in my undergraduate student association for three years and those Professor/student mixers were the best because the catered food was usually prime choice, high-end fare. It appears that the new member in question has no interest in pursuing a career in academia if he is that vocal about his colleagues. He should remind himself that the people in that room are for networking, not ostracizing. It is a shame, though, most outbursts are hard to take back and it will follow him for the rest of his time as a student. Like Oz said, it is unusual behavior. He may just be very socially awkward and interacting with that many people stressed him out. He must have been having a bad day.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Nov. 19, 2014 10:11PM
Lonnehart at 11:51PM, Nov. 19, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
I looked up the trailer for that and I was so freaked out that I just watched the “Teens React to FNAF gameplay” instead. I think it is a hilarious concept that the main character just has to sit in a chair all night long for five nights with limited battery power as these freaky animatronic dolls come to life and move around the store. It makes me want to go to a place like Chuck E. Cheese's.

Yeah. The game is actually SCARIER when it's YOU playing it. I have yet to make it to Night Three in the first game and past Night Two in the second. My niece really REALLY wants to try this game, but there's no way I'm letting her use my tablet to play… she may throw it across the room from being jump scared.

I do like this game for another reason. How many games feature security officers as protagonists? Mike Schmidt must be more of a badass than I could ever be… I'd probably leave the job right after the first night.

Sometimes the fans are weird when it comes to this game. But I'm pretty sure it's just like any other fandom. They throw theories around, examine the story, and in extreme cases they twist things around until all the evidence says THEY are correct.

And I must be some really sick guy to watch (and enjoy) other people being scared by the games. Especially liveplayer Markiplier as he apparently suffers from Automatonophobia.

Ozone, if that's an infection I'd have a second doctor look at it. Especially as it's hot enough warm up a glass of water. Then again I'm very wary of infections because my diabetes makes me more susceptible to them…
ayesinback at 6:06AM, Nov. 20, 2014
(online)
@Kawaii- I've meant to say this before, but your posts are simply lovely. Whether you're sharing your own experiences or responding to others, they strike me as thoroughly considered and compassionate (without treacle). Brainy and heartfelt is a powerhouse combination.

@Ozone- Are you running a fever? If not, I'm not sure antibiotics would be wise. It sounds like a boil, which Are painful, and a doctor could certainly diagnose to ascertain it's nothing more, but there are effective home remedies (medically sound, not just “believe you are well and you will be”) that might do the trick. From personal experience (and I suggested this to Pitface and it worked for her, too), consider direct application of pure (important) lavendar oil.

@Lonne- I'm pathetically addicted to candy crush (level 422 is a bitch) with a steady side of Snood. Otherwise I know Nothing about games, so can't respond. As to how much a spot pays, there's a huge range. I'm nonUnion, so that's about a third of Union pay. Generally, :60 seems to average $200. So far, my work has paid for my smartphone.
Lonnehart at 11:58AM, Nov. 20, 2014
(online)
So a Union worker gets paid more? I've also read about how one such “guild” won't let their actors… even voice actors work in any jobs they don't approve of which is why a lot of anime voice talent works under different names. They want to avoid the penalties you'd get from doing nonunion work. However, they do need to get food on the table and that union apparently won't help them find work…

I wonder though… what would happen if in order to be any kind of actor you have to mandatorily join such a union? And I think you have to pay membership fees to that union as well (which would probably drive a lot of people away from an acting career). And would it get worse if all Youtubers who make their own shows are also required to be in such a guild, whether they are professionals or not?

I'm probably overthinking this, though… It would probably suck a lot more if webcomicers were required to be in some webcomic guild (and be required to pay membership fees too)…

And I just found out… drawing on a 7 inch tablet with your finger is pretty hard…
Also downloaded the “free” version of Clickteam Fusion 2.5. I think the developers version was the one used to create the Five Nights at Freddy's games. And it's probably paid for itself now. Lucky Scott Cawthon… X_X
last edited on Nov. 20, 2014 12:00PM
Kroatz at 2:10PM, Nov. 20, 2014
(online)
Kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
It is nice to see that you are back from that walk. Welcome back to Plato's allegorical cave. How is your knitting? I also wanted to mention that the Quackcast you recorded about the Hero's Journey/Monomyth is one of my favorites and I have listened to that episode on multiple occasions.

Wow. That sounds like me, yeah. Still didn't get to see nearly the amount of sunlight I would have preferred. That might be, in some small part, because I have been glued to a desk ever since I returned from that walk.

I have to agree with Dee, your comments show that some thought and, in this case, some work has been put into them. I know that being complimented on the internet does not in any way mean anything real, but, you know.

- - -

Does anyone know any books (without colourful pictures, and with more pages.) about superheroes? I'm looking for some good ones, but I can't seem to find any. You'd think that a concept that strong would have crossed the boundaries between comics and actual readful… Read-ey? books.

- Albert Einstein
last edited on Nov. 20, 2014 2:14PM
HippieVan at 4:09PM, Nov. 20, 2014
(online)
It's nice to see some friendly faces around here! I'm having a really crazy week so I shouldn't really be on the internet at all (except JStor), but hopefully everyone won't have left by next week.

I have so much to do, it's ridiculous. I want to go Christmas shopping so badly but it will have to wait until next week at least. Fortunately my last exam is December 2nd so I'll have a nice long break between semesters. :)

ayesinback wrote:
And my happy news? I think I've been offered the job of being the voice of a hospital. The Voice of a Hospital I doubt the script will be as *interesting* as the possibilities suggest.
That's so awesome, ayes! iirc your voice is very soothing, so a good choice for a hospital.
Maybe this is a sign that another DD radio play should happen!

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
I was an officer in my undergraduate student association for three years and those Professor/student mixers were the best because the catered food was usually prime choice, high-end fare. It appears that the new member in question has no interest in pursuing a career in academia if he is that vocal about his colleagues. He should remind himself that the people in that room are for networking, not ostracizing. It is a shame, though, most outbursts are hard to take back and it will follow him for the rest of his time as a student. Like Oz said, it is unusual behavior. He may just be very socially awkward and interacting with that many people stressed him out. He must have been having a bad day.

Yeah, he's a first year student too so embarrassing himself like that so soon just seems really dumb. I actually feel a little bit sorry for him at this point because this is a relatively small university and I'm sure the story will get around. There isn't usually a lot of drama in the history department. XD
I saw him today and he apologized to me, and said he had been waiting to see me in person. I still don't really get why it happened, but he did seem genuinely ashamed about it.

Meanwhile I haven't heard from my vice president since he failed to show up to a meeting with a former prof at the beginning of last week. -_-
For whatever reason the girls in our association are all totally normal while the guys are almost all a little bit nuts. My current goal is to recruit some normal men for the group. Also some handsome men, but that's just for my own benefit.

Lonnehart wrote:
And I just found out drawing on a 7 inch tablet with your finger is pretty hard

You can get a stylus pretty cheap now, around here at least. I have a fancy pressure-sensitve Adonit one that I really like, because it has a clear plastic tip that lets you see what you're drawing quite nicely. That one is a bit pricey but there are cheaper ones that aren't pressure-sensitive.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Ozoneocean at 7:29PM, Nov. 20, 2014
(online)
Wow, lots to read! :)

—-

My face is in worse pain today. Far worse. I've had boils before in the distant past, they're easy to deal with. This however is an evil demon. My guts are churning from all the painkillers, my face is extrememly painful, and my nose is swollen and wide.
I broke and made an apointment with the Doctor for 2.45 this afternoon.
At this point being whaked in the face with a shovel would feel like relief. It feels like 4 toothaches at the same time. I'm getting deferred pain in my cheek bone. Infections are bad news.
Lonnehart at 1:22AM, Nov. 21, 2014
(online)
Well, I downloaded Clickteam Fusion and went through its tutorial. Took me back to the days when I was fiddling around with Klik n Play (and I still can… my disc still works).

And I think I'll make this game out of the Free Edition of Clickteam Fusion 2.5…

You're a popular schoolboy. You're really popular with girls. However, you have a test coming up and if you fail to pass, you fail to graduate. And that means an end to your popularity. You COULD study at home, but your parents are having you work at the family business (and are secretly trying to ensure you fail so you can learn a hard life lesson and have an excuse to make you work for the entire summer too).

Now you're at school trying to cram for the test. Easy, right? Well… it would be if not for the girls want to be around you all the time. So the object of the game is to find a quiet place away from the girls (you'll study automatically) and fill up your progress meter for the day. However, the girls will be searching for you the entire time, and if even one of them gets near you that progress meter will go down. And your end of day progress will depend on how full that meter is.

The worst part? You do this for five days, with each day becoming harder as more girls will join in the search for you. Especially the ones who know you best as they'll know where all your hiding spots are. And of course the ending you get depends on what the average of the five days of progress were.

Yeah… weird idea for a game. :)
Kroatz at 2:00AM, Nov. 21, 2014
(online)
Yes, a weird idea. But I think it could work. (Some weird ideas do: Minecraft, Thomas was alone, Super Mario, Pikmin, Octodad, Slender) The only problem I can foresee right now is that you, the player, might have to stay inactive for a while. And that does not really work well with the medium of video games. Maybe studying could require passing quicktime events, or even simply holding the spacebar.

It sounds a bit like a combination of Pacman and a dating sim, but with a story added to the mix. Have fun!

- Albert Einstein
bravo1102 at 6:43AM, Nov. 21, 2014
(offline)
Kroatz wrote:
- - -

Does anyone know any books (without colourful pictures, and with more pages.) about superheroes? I'm looking for some good ones, but I can't seem to find any. You'd think that a concept that strong would have crossed the boundaries between comics and actual readful… Read-ey? books.
It's an old book (1970) but it's a good read. Even covers the influence of pulps on comics with a definite emphasis on super hero comics.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Steranko-History-Comics-Volume/dp/B000GW5WFK
There's this pdf of a conference on comics and superheroes.
http://services.juniata.edu/jcpress/voices/pdf/2012/jv_2012_145-151.pdf
Do the gods wear Capes
http://www.amazon.com/The-Gods-Wear-Capes-Spirituality/dp/082644198X
and this is just scratching the surface. You seek out those pointy-headed academic types in the literature section of the library. I know there are a works on superheroes as Campbell's Journey of the Hero and comparing Superman to Gil-gamesh and Odyeseus but I can't find the exact books.
You also might want to look at Billion Year Spree the best of the hisotry of Science Fiction as a genre as many works on Science Fiction in general have sections on superheroes.
http://www.amazon.com/Billion-Year-Spree-History-Science/dp/0385088876
updated as:
http://www.amazon.com/Trillion-Year-Spree-History-Science/dp/0755100689
It provides a broader perspective on the idea of the superhero in the context of fantastic fiction as opposed to comic books. I hope this helps or at least points you in the right direction to start this journey.
Lonnehart at 6:14PM, Nov. 21, 2014
(online)
I wish I was the new night guard in this video. Guaranteed I'd have a bigger paycheck.

Come to think of it, I tend to think of Bravo as this guy… someone no one would mess with unless they were crazy… or had a death wish…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9Kt-GsQres
Ironscarf at 5:46AM, Nov. 22, 2014
(offline)
Mrs Scarf is at a yoga conference and my daughter is off on some kind of shopping expedition. That just leaves me and my 7yr old, so I'm teaching him to play Winter Wonderland on guitar.

Anyone else here getting into the christmas spirit yet? Decking your halls? knocking back some ginger wine? Baking a massive fruitcake?

edit: oh good show - Ozone and Ayes are already modelling santa hats!
last edited on Nov. 22, 2014 9:13AM
ayesinback at 12:02PM, Nov. 22, 2014
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:

Why, yes. Yes, I am. Just regretting taking down those Christmas lights this April, otherwise I'd be ahead of things in that arena as well.

But to your question, in preparation for the Mother of All Garage Sales (and, no, not selling the garage – not even holding it in the garage – why it's called a garage sale …), to point, I've been digitizing our old audio cassettes so we can cast those to the wind, for a buck a piece. Or something.

So I'm listening to a lot of Christmas music: Nat King Cole, Creole, Celtic, Leon Redbone (maybe my favorite), Beach Boys, some random Imaginary Road collection that's very nice – loads.
Lonnehart at 4:19PM, Nov. 22, 2014
(online)
Yep. Christmas music is playing here too. In fact, it's been playing since the beginning of October. I'm beginning to think the real “Christmas” is the shopping season that comes before it, especially those “black days”, where shoppers engage in Mortal Kombat with each other to get the best deals…
bravo1102 at 4:34AM, Nov. 23, 2014
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:

Oz never took his off. He's had it on all year. But he does look so good in it.
Ironscarf at 5:06AM, Nov. 23, 2014
(offline)
I think I'd got so used to seeing it I'd forgotten it was there. Maybe I'm the only person who hasn't been wearing one all year?
Sounds like the christmas music is out in force everywhere by now. We've got christmas movies every/all weekend on channel 5 too - that's probably been going on for weeks. What happened to the magic of christmas?

Aha - just spotted it in the listings: two ancient Quatermass movies this week. Thank you santa.

e: Ayes' - I hadn't heard that Leon Redbone christmas album, it's exactly what I need this christmas day. Most of my christmas library was deleted by itunes (I deleted itunes in retaliation) and we have a prodigal returnee who hasn't spent christmas with us for about 15 years. He was a big Redbone fan back then. Thanks for the tip.
last edited on Nov. 23, 2014 7:03AM
HippieVan at 7:31AM, Nov. 23, 2014
(online)
It's funny - I've been hearing nothing but complaints about Christmas from most people this year, but my family and I are just getting more and more excited. ^_^ My little sister and I put together lists of all the Christmassy things we have to do (and bake). I think complaining about Christmas instead of taking part is probably part of the problem when people don't find it magical any more, scarf!

Having to hold off on any Christmas stuff because I've been so busy has probably helped to amp up my excitement levels too.

Was anyone planning on putting together a secret Santa this year, or do people mind if I do it?
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Skullbie at 9:46AM, Nov. 23, 2014
(online)
Just got summoned for jury duty a-fucking-gain. -__- This is THIRD TIME IN THREE YEARS ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I'm going to put that i'm a racist deaf mute skinhead meth addict on my jury paper next year. I'm so tired of this. I was honest so i have to request the day off from work and miss out on real money instead of my ‘civic duty’ sitting in a stuffy office and listening to the judge read off the same lines ad infinitum to every single juror candidate that comes up.
Ozoneocean at 7:20PM, Nov. 23, 2014
(online)
@Hippie.
If you have a mind to set it up, or maybe we can get someone else to organise the secret Santa? I'm always so busy and I know you are for the next few weeks too :(

@Skull
Man, that sux! They must really like you for jury duty? You're the perfect citizen :)

——–

My nose still hasn't healed, but the antibiotics are working. People in the office today were shocked by my red, mutated bulging schnoz. It's not as bad as it was on the weekend though. It's a bit like Leo Mckern's nose from Rumpole. When I was younger I would've been embarrassed by something like that but now I don't really care.

I've pretty well finished my sewing spree for now too and I'll be getting back to comicing again soon. I deressed in my hussar trousers and dolman jaucket last night to test how things are after the alterations and I look like a propper toy soldier! So that worked out ok. :)
I could be in The Nutcracker! Aaaaand there's your Christmas connection ;)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon