Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
kawaiidaigakusei at 2:41AM, Dec. 27, 2014
(online)
As of late, I have been busy making friends…

and by “making friends”, I specifically mean that I have been making crochet-knit stuffed animal rabbits. The thing about crafting my own plushies is that I actually grow this fond connection to the final product that I have a hard time parting with them.

==

I recently had one of those stressful dreams where I began taking university classes at the start of the semester. Somewhere in the middle of the dream it was finals week and progress reports were being handed out. It turned out that I had missed lectures and discussions for one of the classes for the second half the semester. At the end of the dream I had to apologize to the teacher and drop the class to avoid having really low marks.

I did not notice it was a dream until I woke up. Those dreams really give me anxiety until I wake up and remember that I attended mostly every class in school.

==

Around the time I was working on my Secret Santa gift art, I decided to order more 0.3mm lead. I found the refills on ebay for a pretty good price so placed the order for one mechanical pencil lead refill. Well. A 9“x11”x5" box was shipped to my house filled with bags of air, the order slip, and the lead sealed in a small plastic bag. Talk about a ridiculous amount of excess packaging for such a small item. I wonder how many boxes being shipped are really just full of air.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Kroatz at 3:50PM, Dec. 28, 2014
(online)
Those bunnies are too cute. I'd feel very threatened by them if I owned them… Also, I've had that same type of dream many times, but they are mostly related to my personal life, instead of my school life. I can't even count the times that I dreamt that I forgot to give an imaginary girlfriend something important, or missed an imaginary appointment. And then I wouldn't just wake up with panic in my head, but it would fade into realising that the girl I loved with all my heart only moments before doesn't really exist. And then I usuall need to go to the bathroom, and both types of feelings fade again.

- - -

Does anyone play Pathfinder? Or DnD?
I've just started today, and I absolutely love it.
I've spent most of my day describing the fictional island of Rid-Il, and the morally ambiguous characters that inhabit it. Every trap I designed worked, every secret was explored, and every player was just as thrilled as I was. Being a GM, or a DM, is something I've been missing in my life. Of course, finding an actual girlfriend to fill the void that the previously mentioned fictional one left is now a bit harder, since I'll be spending even more of my life in-doors, away from prying eyes, and the burning rays of sunlight that plague my every out-doors moment…

- - -

What is the best country? And what is the best animal in that country?
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
kawaiidaigakusei at 7:23PM, Dec. 28, 2014
(online)
Kroatz wrote:
I've had that same type of dream many times, but they are mostly related to my personal life, instead of my school life. I can't even count the times that I dreamt that I forgot to give an imaginary girlfriend something important, or missed an imaginary appointment. And then I wouldn't just wake up with panic in my head, but it would fade into realising that the girl I loved with all my heart only moments before doesn't really exist.
I learned about solipsism in a philosophy class, but I have never seen a person adhere to that philosophical idea in the real world. Just reading about everything existing only in the mind is jarring enough. Imagine being in a room where everyone was a solipsist that believed each person present was imaginary. Oh wait, it would be akin to posting on these forums.

==

I used to play DnD 2nd edition years ago. I would always be a Druid with a rabbit familiar. But in each quest, the DM never left the bar where each party member met and the whole game was restarted before the second meeting. The multi-sided dice and character design portion was my favorite part of the game.

==

The best country is Iceland and the best animal in Iceland is the Arctic fox.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Ozoneocean at 8:16PM, Dec. 28, 2014
(online)
The best country is Canada and the best animal is the polarbanes. I hear it's very dangerous.
HippieVan at 9:29PM, Dec. 28, 2014
(online)
You also have to watch out for snow snakes. We have to buy special bite-proof “snow pants” for wading through deep snow.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on Dec. 28, 2014 9:43PM
HippieVan at 9:40PM, Dec. 28, 2014
(online)
My favourite animals are giraffes and hippos, so wherever they live is pretty cool.

Canada doesn't have too many zany animals, but I am genuinely very fond of deer. They're very gentle and quiet and pretty, and it's always nice to spot one. In some provincial parks, where hunting is prohibited, they're quite used to humans (for better or for worse) and can occasionally be coaxed right up to a person. I've also had some pretty cute encounters with ducks and chipmunks out at the cabin we used to rent. And loons are pretty.
Lonnehart at 12:00AM, Dec. 29, 2014
(online)
New Years is coming. And I'm dreading it. Mostly because I'm working that night. Last Holidays Eve I had a drunk guy come up to a store which was part of the compound I was assigned to watch. Despite the two huge signs saying “Closed” on the door (one lit up in neon) and the fact that the store was dark inside he kept insisting that it was open. I finally had the police haul him away (and he still insisted that the place was open).
Favorite animal? I'd say rabbits. If well cared for and socialized they make for great pets. But as much as I want one, the last time I had one the local neighborhood dogs would keep visiting the house and in some cases try to find a way inside. All for a chance at killing the thing…
Kroatz at 3:19AM, Dec. 29, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
I learned about solipsism in a philosophy class, but I have never seen a person adhere to that philosophical idea in the real world. Just reading about everything existing only in the mind is jarring enough. Imagine being in a room where everyone was a solipsist that believed each person present was imaginary. Oh wait, it would be akin to posting on these forums.
==
I used to play DnD 2nd edition years ago. I would always be a Druid with a rabbit familiar. But in each quest, the DM never left the bar where each party member met and the whole game was restarted before the second meeting. The multi-sided dice and character design portion was my favorite part of the game.
==
The best country is Iceland and the best animal in Iceland is the Arctic fox.
Real world? There's no such thing, you're just a figment of my imagination. I'm not really a solipsist, I just have trouble with separating truth from dreams the first few seconds after waking. I've woken up with tears in my eyes after a dream where my dog died, and not realized that she was fine and dandy until i came downstairs and was greeted by her.

Also, yes. May be the best animal, not sure about the country. I'd have said Mordor, and Orc. Or EcksEcksEcksEcks and their sheep, which are one of the only type of non-deadly creatures there.

- Albert Einstein
last edited on Dec. 31, 2014 2:29AM
kawaiidaigakusei at 3:26AM, Dec. 29, 2014
(online)
The best animals in the world no particular order:
Narwhal (Arctic Circle, Canada/Greenland/Russia)
Sea Otter (Pacific Northwest, USA)
Pangolin (Africa and Asia)
Wombat (Australia)
Okapi (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
Tapir (South East Asia/South America)

Kroatz wrote:
I'd have said Mordor, and Orc.
Okay, that settles it. “Kroatz” is Dutch for Sauron.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Kroatz at 4:49AM, Dec. 29, 2014
(online)
I love that you actually have a list.

And Kroatz has a lot of different meanings, but none of them in a language that has ever been used. It's a combination of all the letters that offend me, the sound of a man's last breath, the precise feeling you get when you say goodbye to an old friend for the last time, it's the meaning of life, seen from an angle where you can almost make out the whole, it's the sensation of wet gravel beneath your feet, or a hailstorm above, it's Nonsense and Fantasy, it's Logic and Boredom, it's funny and sad, and I don't really remember the original meaning anymore. I think there was a type of beer that I named myself after, but I really couldn't be sure. We can't all have names that have meaning, how dull would that be? You'd spend all your time trying to outgrow the meaning your name has, instead of giving it a meaning of your own. Imbuing the word with everything you stand for, and nothing else.

- Albert Einstein
Ironscarf at 6:38AM, Dec. 30, 2014
(offline)
The best country must be Tasmania because they has the Tasmanian Tigers which is the coolest animals of all in my opinion.
bravo1102 at 7:08AM, Dec. 30, 2014
(offline)
Madagascar and penguins.

Second is the Arctic and Polar bears. In every trivia game they're the #1 predator of humans.

Then there's Madagadsgar and lemurs. Love those little furry cousins. Knowing humans and lemurs are both primates is just so cool.
Ozoneocean at 10:39AM, Dec. 30, 2014
(online)
Last day of the year has started here. I realllllllly don't want to do anything for the new year. Oh how I hate New Years.
I have a friend who wants to do something but I'm avoiding her… because I don't want to get dragged into her shit either, and because she's just a massive dick 60% of the time and I don't want that in my life right now.

But I've been avoiding her too long and will HAVE to catch up soon because she'll be sad if I don't and I don't ike people being sad on my account. UGH! Emo.

———–

I haven't shaved in a week now and have a really spiky face! Should I grow a beard out over the holidays? I just don't know.
So far I've discovered my previously blonde beard is now growing out light and dark brown, with a line of white either side of my chin and on my neck. I'm like a tabby cat!
Ozoneocean at 1:27AM, Dec. 31, 2014
(online)
Yay! Talked to her. It's cool. I'm free to do new years by myself. Phew!
No hard feelings at all and we'll catch up some other time. Emo averted.
I was really dreading the usual going out new years thing for some reason. I'm not feeling acrophobic, I just don't want all that carrying on and the junk that goes with it right now. I want to sit at home, watch Lovejoy on DVD and draw.

The best country is Xanth and the beat animal there is the griffin.
Kroatz at 1:50AM, Dec. 31, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Yay! Talked to her. It's cool. I'm free to do new years by myself. Phew! No hard feelings at all and we'll catch up some other time. Emo averted.I was really dreading the usual going out new years thing for some reason. I'm not feeling acrophobic, I just don't want all that carrying on and the junk that goes with it right now. I want to sit at home, watch Lovejoy on DVD and draw.

The best country is Xanth and the beat animal there is the griffin.
I'm glad that YOU get to spend New Years by yourself, that is not true for everyone. Although I don't think that you succesfully avoid the emo stamp by watching DVDs by yourself on new years. Merry Lovejoy anyway!

WARNING, LENGTHY (Again): On New Years. I'm not a big fan, the lights all distract me, the bangs frighten me, the champagne tastes like urine, the snacks are too greasy, and I've never had the opportunity to kiss anyone a happy new year. And I don't think anything can make a guy (or gal) feel more alone than standing by himself, awkwardly holding a drink, and seeing everyone around him swap body heat and saliva. I wish I could just spend every New Years reading Gaiman, Pratchett, Steinbeck, Puzo, Alighieri, Martin, Wodehouse, Morgenstern, or any of another hundred writers far more interesting than the people I'm supposed to love. Or do love. I'm never sure around the holidays, because it's a time of blurred lines between traditional, forced, and voluntary social interaction.

- Albert Einstein
last edited on Dec. 31, 2014 2:28AM
Lonnehart at 2:08AM, Dec. 31, 2014
(online)
Kroatz wrote:
I'm glad that YOU get to spend New Years by yourself, that is not true for everyone. Although I don't think that you succesfully avoid the emo stamp by watching DVDs by yourself on new years. Merry Lovejoy anyway!

WARNING, LENGTHY (Again): On New Years. I'm not a big fan, the lights all distract me, the bangs frighten me, the champagne tastes like urine, the snacks are too greasy, and I've never had the opportunity to kiss anyone a happy new year. And I don't think anything can make a guy (or gal) feel more alone than standing by himself, awkwardly holding a drink, and seeing everyone around him swap body heat and saliva. I wish I could just spend every New Years reading Gaiman, Pratchett, Steinbeck, Puzo, Alighieri, Martin, Wodehouse, Morgenstern, or any of another hundred writers far more interesting than the people I'm supposed to love. Or do love. I'm never sure around the holidays, because it's a time of blurred lines between traditional, forced, and voluntary social interaction.

I get to work during New Years. I'm sure that drunk guy will be back, yowling and screaming that the liquor store is open (it's closed for tonight) and he'll be really REALLY mad at me when he sees me (I had him hauled away by the police). No worries. If I have to, I'll use my Maglite as a defense (imagine the pain you'd feel if you tried to punch someone only for a flashlight shaft made of aircraft aluminum to get in the way of your fist)…

I really hope tonight is boring (barring any bullets that come down on our heads)…
kawaiidaigakusei at 3:02AM, Dec. 31, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
I haven't shaved in a week now and have a really spikey face! Should I grow a beard out over the holidays? I just don't know.

So far I've discovered my previously blonde beard is now growing out light and dark brown, with a line of white either side of my chin and on my neck. I'm like a tabby cat!
I find it a very interesting gender difference how women take extra time to remove all overgrown facial hair whereas men can use it as feature to emphasize masculinity. It's so silly, humans are mammals, we have hair. But it is a beauty faux pas, for females at least, to let it all grow naturally.

Also amazing! Multicolored beards have a certain je ne sais quoi like they need to be paired with a Magritte pipe. I would vote that you should just grow out the beard for the holidays so you can save on razors and just revel in being on holiday.

Speaking of (tabby) cats, the cat I have been befriending is a Calico and I have been making progress. She has been rubbing her head, cheeks, and chin on me, so I am probably marked territory now. She also reaches her paw out toward me when we are eye level which I find adorable, but Cat Scratch Fever really does exist. I have been researching the “Tuxedo” Cat breed and I would want one as a pet just to name it Sir Percival Pimpernel. Tuxedos look so cool.

(and now on a somewhat not really related tangent…)

I just learned this week that there is more than one way to tie a necktie. I do not wear ties, so I honestly thought that the basic Windsor was standard. I did not know there were other knot methods like Eldredge, Trinity, Novotny, Fishbone, and Rose. So from this day onward, I will be paying closer attention to how men tie their neckties. It's fascinating.

Post by Kroatz: Quackcast recording
I listened to it along with the accompanying forum text.

=

The best country is Mongolia and the best animal in that country is a long-haired yak.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Dec. 31, 2014 3:08AM
bravo1102 at 6:44AM, Dec. 31, 2014
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
I just learned this week that there is more than one way to tie a necktie. I do not wear ties, so I honestly thought that the basic Windsor was standard. I did not know there were other knot methods like Eldredge, Trinity, Novotny, Fishbone, and Rose. So from this day onward, I will be paying closer attention to how men tie their neckties. It's fascinating.
As a seller of fine men's clothes in my misspent youth (especially ties) I had to learn all the methods to tie one. The most common knots (like 90%) are four in hand, single and double windsor. It can really depend on the fabric and manufacture of the tie. On a heavy jacquard silk you do not use a heavy full windsor unless you want a knot the size of your head. A light fine silk can disappear in a four in hand. A fine hand sewn tie can stretch out and reach down to your knees if you use the wrong knot. They're the good stuff and look best with a loose four-in-hand (knot in the tie not loose around your neck, for shame wearing like some kind of common tradesman or tardy school boy!) or a half windsor for more shape. Full windsor can look too stuffy with lighter silk ties.

A school repp stripe tie has to be worn in a full windsor if an alumus and a very loose four in hand if a student. Regimental repps are always worn full windsor, tight and with a dimple unless you're some kind of poofy officer. A proper regimental repp tie can take it. A light silk printed pattern often can't espeically a cheap one where the lining isn't properly sewn. If you're deft and fancy you can tie a four-in-hand to look like any other kind of knot since it's easily shaped and formed. Unless you pulled the tie too hard when first knotting it and now it reaches to your knees and you have to totally reshape the knot into something big and fancy or hide the extra length behind a vest or an absurdly long tail doubled up behind the face.

Knots come in and out of fashion like the tide. Full Windsor was out forever except with politicians and stuffed shirt types. But it looks fine with a light silk tie if you're good with the knot and not careless. There's a reason you don't pull the tie down or wear it loose. It can mess up the lay of the tie so it's forever after loop-sided, off-bias and ruined. No good for anything but being tied up for bondage.And bow ties are a bitch and a half.
last edited on Dec. 31, 2014 6:48AM
Ozoneocean at 8:12AM, Dec. 31, 2014
(online)

Bravo, you have skills and knowledge beyond the reach of normal men! All of those except for the bottom look the same to me, but I get what you're saying about the fabric thicknesses and stuff.
The only ties I can do are bow ties (which I learned how to tie for my white tie gear), and cravats/neck stocks (which I learned how to tie for my daywear gear).

Ties are bloody complex things!
HippieVan at 10:39AM, Dec. 31, 2014
(online)
Those ties are a good drawing reference! I've never been totally sure what's going on there. I've discovered recently that I have no idea how to draw men's formalwear. I have sort of a vague idea of what a suit looks like, but I sometimes have to consult my dad to make sure all the buttons and collars and whatnot make sense. I wasn't even aware of double breasted vs. single breasted jackets until very recently.

I hate parties. My new year's eve tradition, which I am oddly attached to, is watching DVDs on my own until midnight. But this year my little sister is old enough to stay up, so we'll probably watch DVDs together. I bought Kernels. Exciting!

kawaiidaigakuseiwrote:
I have been researching the Tuxedo Cat breed and I would want one as a pet just to name it Sir Percival Pimpernel. Tuxedos look so cool.

I used to volunteer at our local humane society and almost adopted a Tuxedo cat. He looked like he had a little toothbrush moustache so I called him Lil' Chaplin. Unfortunately he was adopted by someone else the day I went to get him. :(

That would be a super cute name. I think I call my animals made-up names kind of like that more than their real names. “Heyyyy Mr. Fangtooth Snugglebuns!”
Ozoneocean at 11:44AM, Dec. 31, 2014
(online)
As I was getting ready for bed, bearing in mind Bravo's tie lecture I remembered I took some of my dad's old ties he didn't care about any more when he retired from the bank. There were a lot more than I have expected, all hanging on the back of my cupboard door. All are finely woven Italian silk. It seems I had very good taste when I picked them out.
-So did my dad when he bought them. Back when he was with the bank he had a thing for ties… I've only worn one once myself.

My workplaces have never been that formal (graphic design just isn't) and my schools weren't either. In fact I only own one single 3 piece suit! …well twchicaly two but the other doesn't fit me so it doesn't count. All the rest is mainly super formal vintage/antique stuff you only wear at unusual special occasions once in a blue moon on a week of Sundays at the 25th hour on the 31st of February in an alternate universe through the other side of the mirror.

I have other various jackets and sports coats and lots of formal trousers, but none of it is a proper match.

Anyway, Hippie, drawing men's formal wear IS hard! It's because it's sstandardised: if you make even a tiny mistake it looks very wrong. You can't fudge it as easily as women's gear.
Ozoneocean at 11:47AM, Dec. 31, 2014
(online)
Great new quackcast topic!
-Drawing clothing correctly.
We've done outfit design before I think but this is different and more important.
HippieVan at 2:14PM, Dec. 31, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:

Anyway, Hippie, drawing men's formal wear IS hard! It's because it's sstandardised: if you make even a tiny mistake it looks very wrong. You can't fudge it as easily as women's gear.
Yes, that's exactly what it is! I don't know much about women's fashion either, but women's styles change so often that I can essentially do whatever I want without it looking too weird…at worst it will look out of date.
Kroatz at 3:12PM, Dec. 31, 2014
(online)
ozoneocean wrote: Great new quackcast topic! -Drawing clothing correctly.We've done outfit design before I think but this is different and more important.

I think the most interesting part of that QC would be trying to describe something in audio that is a completely visual thing. I compleyely support the subject!

Other subjects that would be awesome:
- World building revisited.
- The history of the duck.
- How to do research.
- Books to read to improve writing.
- Books to read to improve drawing.
- How to start, from idea to issue.
- The timing of panels and pages.

- Albert Einstein
Lonnehart at 3:16PM, Dec. 31, 2014
(online)
Tuxedo “cat breed”? It's my understanding that the Tuxedo isn't really a breed (just like Calico isn't). It's just how the fur is on the American Shorthair. Used to have one myself. Passed on a while ago… y'know… old age… :(
Ironscarf at 3:48PM, Dec. 31, 2014
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Great new quackcast topic!
-Drawing clothing correctly.
We've done outfit design before I think but this is different and more important.
You're right there. You're talking folds really and it won't be easy to cover that without visual examples. Maybe we need a quackcast with a handout! Folds are the most beautiful things of all (because Tasmanian Tigers are already extinct) which is why those old masters throw so much drapery at their models.
last edited on Dec. 31, 2014 3:49PM
bravo1102 at 8:11PM, Dec. 31, 2014
(offline)
Go to the booksore and invest in a couple of books on the history of costume. One from Dover publishing is from the 1950's and has some very nice engraved line artwork. (What people Wore by Douglas Gorsline)

Men's clothing is easy for me to draw because I used to sell it. If you know how it goes together you can break it down into the basic parts and draw as necessary. Different lapel sizes with up or down point, pleated or unpleated pcokets, flapped pockets, cuff buttons and so on. Over the years I learned about basic men's wardrobe and how it goes together and the variations in clothing. The upshot: Just make sure the guy's suit is the same from panel to panel.
Ozoneocean at 10:10PM, Dec. 31, 2014
(online)
Maybe a Scarf/Bravo group interview is in order?
Kroatz at 2:21AM, Jan. 1, 2015
(online)
ozoneocean wrote: Maybe a Scarf/Bravo group interview is in order?

YES.

- Albert Einstein
Ozoneocean at 3:17AM, Jan. 1, 2015
(online)
Kroatz wrote:

Other subjects that would be awesome:
- World building revisited.
- The history of the duck.
- How to do research.
- Books to read to improve writing.
- Books to read to improve drawing.
- How to start, from idea to issue.