Comic Talk and General Discussion *

How far does your Duck travel?
Snevilly at 10:20PM, Jan. 29, 2013
(online)
So if you don't know me, or you've forgotton me, I'm Snevilly and I like to spend a lot of time on YouTube. Really, its like stalking people, only instead of following them around the real world, I follow lots of blogs, vlogs, and social media. This gif is essentially perfect for illustraiting what I mean:

True “reality shows” are on the internet, people, and its freaking facinating to me. Dramas, comedies, documentaries, there's so much awesome its litterally blowing my mind. Not only are people entertaining me by sharing little windows into their phyisical lives, but with the internet being what it is today, our digital lives and neighborhoods can be just as facinating as the ones we wake up to.
For a while now I've been writing skits and talking to friends and family about making YouTube videos. One of the segments I'd like to do is “My Internet Neighborhood” and for me, a part of my virtual neighborhood is Drunk Duck. So naturally, I started looking for some other Ducklings who vloged or bloged their experiences with making comics, being a DD memember, ect. ect. On YouTube I found a few random comic promos, DD's account with some comic challenge videos from ‘06, and one scrappy kid comicker who made a total of 86 videos (which is pretty impressive) but that was about it. When I looked for blogs, I didn’t find a whole lot, but I did find this.Haha.
So, to summerize this crap…do any of you make videos or write about your comics, your process, how you make the Duck work for you? Is this something you wouldn't have the time for? (I bet if I drew more often, I'd have less time to ramble on this long over simple questions…but then again, that's just not my style.) Or on the other side of things, if you're someone who reads lots of blogs and watches lots of YouTube videos, what sort of content would you like to see other Ducklings make?
One or two of them might just make you giggle: MyInstagram, projectBlog, andRPG Blog
Ozoneocean at 10:01AM, Jan. 30, 2013
(online)
Barb Jacobs did some vids like that here:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/barb-jacobs-caricatures

There was talk of doing live vids in adition to or instead of the Quackcast, using Google+ hangouts and then hosting them on Youtube, But I have no idea how to o about that or what sort of content would be interesting.
Maybe you could help us with that? :)
Snevilly at 8:42PM, Jan. 30, 2013
(online)

Okay, well, I hope you realize that the following ridiculousness is entirely your fault for asking…
Firstly, I love the Quackcast and will riot if you guys get rid of it! Like, absolutely riot. There'll be sad Instagram pics. There'll be forum posts with gifs of sad kittens and puppies. I'll be like a scary care bare and I just don't think you could handle that. I haven't gotten through all of them yet, but I download and listen to them while I draw. They're funny, they're easy to listen to while multitasking and I've gotten to hear some pretty awesome things from community members that really give me food for thought.
That being said videos are important for advertising how awesome something is, in this case DD's community. The Quackcast does that in spades, but it isnt something directed at the casual DD member. Theyre too long for someone who just wants to check in and check out, you know? So why not create something for those of us with short attention spans? Vlog style videos with skits like the Lizzie Bennet Diaries and Danisonfire are a great way to do that. Make a shorter, edited and punchier version of the important news, guests spots, and community involvement. Get a charismatic “host” to narrate all the important stuff and introduce the clips. It could be really short to work as weekly news/promo material for the DD site, so 3-5 minutes. Or it could mostly focus on the tutorials, features, skits, and news, like a web show. You could encourage video responses to the video and maybe other members leave videos reviewing the topics or the features that were covered in that video. Maybe even feature some of the community responses on the forums? Cross advertising for the win.
If the Live Show was like a community skype you could still record your normal topics, features and news to be edited like normal for the Quackcast and the best community sound bites could be included as well as the one from your predetermined guest(s).Thats just an idea I had if you guys were looking for another way to connect with members during these things. If it wasn't possible for this community style call/chat you could do everything else the same as you do it now and then have watchers get involved by using twitter or DD's other social media platforms and maybe talk about some of the questions and comments you get during the show.
But that's not all, you want people to be excited to log into the show right then, we want there to be fun and adventure! So what about 5-10 minute community Q">.

And since you'd be adding in a video aspect that opens in all sorts of interesting segment ideas, like live art tutorials or writers workshops. Did you just nerdgasm? ‘Cause I did. That would be pretty wicked sweet. Not to mention with good tutorials, other YouTubers who don’t know anything about DD can find them and then get involved and excited as well.

Obviously that's a lot of fairy dust floating through the air and you'll have to sift through it and see what works for you. Not everything would fit into every show, but its not supposed to. I have no idea how long it takes you all to put everything together or how these things are done. I'm just assuming that the parts you'd normally put in the podcast anyways could still be recorded and edited as normal by whoever does that. Then whoever was going to be in charge of editing the videos would take care of editing the shorter vids, however you chose to do them.
So, thoughts?
One or two of them might just make you giggle: MyInstagram, projectBlog, andRPG Blog
last edited on Jan. 30, 2013 8:43PM
Banes at 5:54AM, Feb. 5, 2013
(offline)
I for one LOVE the ideas, especially the drawing/writing tutorials and character/creator blogs, interviews, and maybe hommemade commercials for people's comics…
The “tutorials” could be just little snippets - 2, 3 minutes of whatever insight or method a person might have, or just “this is how I do it.”

Banes at 5:57AM, Feb. 5, 2013
(offline)
…And a shorter, punchier piece to give community info/features/whatever to a broader audience…damn! We should've been doing that long ago! You're totally right about that!

bravo1102 at 12:27AM, Feb. 6, 2013
(offline)
My problem is that either I do the blog about how I do it and my creative process or I actually do it and create.

I procrastinate enough without a blog. Some of us are messed up that way. I could talk all day about creating stuff and never actually create anything again.
Snevilly at 12:27AM, Feb. 11, 2013
(online)
Thanks Banes. :3
Also, Bravo, I know what you mean. I can definitly be the same way. Sometimes when I'm writing a big forum post it takes me a couple of hourse to pull everything together, lol.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon