Drunk Duck Awards

Drunk Duck awards 2013
gullas at 7:13PM, Feb. 14, 2013
(online)
Too early maybe? Nah, the sooner the better.

DISCUSS!!!!
Genejoke at 12:55AM, Feb. 16, 2013
(online)
Apparently people agree it IS too early.  At least judging by the amount of responses.
Okay let us begin.
Last years awards felt a little tired, mostly due to reduced traffic.  It has been mentioned somewhere that it wasn't enough fun last year.
So my suggestion is to change things up a little this year, how I am not sure though.
Reashi at 3:52AM, Feb. 16, 2013
(online)
I did notice we had fewer in-between behinds the scene stuff this year, perhaps we could make a storyline or something that occurs behind the scenes to keep people interested? Just an idea for now.
BffSatan at 4:38AM, Feb. 16, 2013
(online)
More tits and guns.
Genejoke at 10:18AM, Feb. 16, 2013
(online)
Bffsatan?  for reals?
gullas at 9:18PM, Feb. 16, 2013
(online)
Reashi wrote:
I did notice we had fewer in-between behinds the scene stuff this year, perhaps we could make a storyline or something that occurs behind the scenes to keep people interested? Just an idea for now.
To be honest, I don't really think it would really benefit all that much. Sure it would keep some people interested but only momentarily.
@genejoke, I can't say I completely agree with you, but the lack of traffic certainly had impact on last year's rewards. Maybe the whole general feel of it. Maybe, although Niccea has done a superb job for the last two years, it would be a good idea to pass it to someone else this year?
ozoneocean at 9:51PM, Feb. 16, 2013
(online)
BffSatan wrote:
More tits and guns.

Agreed

Niccea at 5:30AM, Feb. 17, 2013
(online)
And what if Niccea wants to hold onto the awards until her dying breath? I really like running them. It is the only thing that keeps me off the streets and out of the drunk duck mafia.
usedbooks at 5:53AM, Feb. 17, 2013
(online)
Niccea did AWESOME.
Last year's awards lacked some interest partly because the previous awards were delayed, so it was a bit close together, imo.
It would be great to have more in-between backstage stuff, though.
Genejoke at 9:56AM, Feb. 17, 2013
(online)
The issue certainly wasn't niccea, she did the best anyone could.
I think starting eary and planning well ahead is a good idea as we can see what we can do to make it better this year.
El Cid at 2:12PM, Feb. 17, 2013
(online)
I sorta liked the direction Reashi was going in. For me, the side comics and bonus extras are the more interesting aspect, but last year we hardly had any.
Teh Andeh at 3:33PM, Feb. 17, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
BffSatan wrote:
More tits and guns.

Agreed
Tripplegreed.
Abt_Nihil at 4:52PM, Feb. 17, 2013
(offline)
If Niccea can afford to put in the insane amount of effort once again, I'd love for her to do it again. She did an awesome job, I think! Also, judging from a reader's/audience's perspective, the response in the comments was great, the awards really felt like what's left of the dd community was coming together to celebrate. I'm not sure whether the awards procedure itself was lacking in any way, and if so, it might have had to do with the fact that less people were available to work on it?
gullas at 10:54AM, Feb. 18, 2013
(online)
Niccea wrote:
And what if Niccea wants to hold onto the awards until her dying breath? I really like running them. It is the only thing that keeps me off the streets and out of the drunk duck mafia.
Well, at least that's settled :) And I think Abt_Nihil is right, the lack of extra material is a direct effect of the emigration problem we've been having for the last two years.
El Cid at 7:55PM, Feb. 18, 2013
(online)
Well good then, so we know now in advance that the site's low traffic means there will likely again not be much in the way of bonus material. So what are we going to do about that?

Community project? Contest? Blackmail?
Kota at 6:10PM, Feb. 19, 2013
(online)
Bit of honesty from someone who's been on the Duck since the old days? I didn't even know they had happened until they were over. I hadn't seen anything about them anywhere honestly. If you're going to get the community involved I highly recommend slapping us in the face with them every time we turn a corner. I'd love to see DD become something again and I think the awards would be a fantastic way to do that.
Kota Otan
http://www.drunkduck.com/Mailbox_Rocketship/
and
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Errant_Apprentice/
-
“If Jeff Bridges is stupid enough to do this, I'M stupid enough to do this!”
Reashi at 8:50PM, Feb. 19, 2013
(online)
Well, I suppose I suppose I could write out and draw a series of pages about someone trying to saboutage the awards, I would need to know ahead of time the number of awards so to pace myself well enough…
So many ideas…
aslo I suppose I could incorporate said tits and guns
PIT_FACE at 6:55AM, Feb. 20, 2013
(online)
Kota wrote:
Bit of honesty from someone who's been on the Duck since the old days? I didn't even know they had happened until they were over. I hadn't seen anything about them anywhere honestly. If you're going to get the community involved I highly recommend slapping us in the face with them every time we turn a corner. I'd love to see DD become something again and I think the awards would be a fantastic way to do that.

This, i think, could be a very valid point. we have the newsposts and the feature, but to people just wondering in and out of the duck, that doesnt really get the point across i dont think. with the feature, it sort of just gets mixed in with the other features, and with the newspost, you have to scroll to actually see newsposts, so in either instance, you have to go looking for it. what we need is a big bright BOLD banner RIGHT at the top of the page that sparkles, glitters, WHATEVER to get people's attention in an obnoxious way equal to that of a car salesman who's both had to much coffee AND speed. 
This is OUR award show,dammit!we should be screaming it from the fuckin roof tops! get some advertising going on other sites too!

We have banners for those who win and are nominated. maybe we can make some PRE show banners that members can distribute here and there. as long as it doesnt becoming spamming i guess, which is the only thing. but hell, who better to get the word out than DD members. get Deviant Art users to make journals about this, and to make posts in comic groups and what not! same thing with the groups on Face Book and Twitter and the more maligned…..myspace. and all these other sites. i know it was mentioned earlier but id like to embelish it.  cross-pollinate! go forth and conquer! AAAHHHHH! (steps on a small city)
last edited on Feb. 20, 2013 7:00AM
ozoneocean at 7:39AM, Feb. 20, 2013
(online)
Good call Pit!
I can put an image banner on the main page of the forum, here:
http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/
See where that red arrow is? That's a pic. I can stick a normal size image banner/link in any forum description.
We could also make sure to have a bold image banner at the top of every newspost that's not about a Quackcast or featured comic so it always has a presence directly on the front page of the site.

Other than that it's something that needs to be broadcast by people who are actually participating in it to the OUTSIDE- on your own twitter, devint art accounts, facebook, Google+, Tumblr etc.
And if you're incharge of the awards you NEED to interface with Skoolmunkee and I about it so we know what's going on and what to promote because even now we both have a LOT on our plates and can't follow this sort of stuff all the time.

junoblairb at 1:14PM, Feb. 20, 2013
(online)
Kota wrote:Bit of honesty from someone who's been on the Duck since the old days? I didn't even know they had happened until they were over. I hadn't seen anything about them anywhere honestly. If you're going to get the community involved I highly recommend slapping us in the face with them every time we turn a corner. I'd love to see DD become something again and I think the awards would be a fantastic way to do that.

Exactly what Kota said. Some of us have been here going around 10 years and I only ever remember seeing the DD awards maybe twice in that amount of time. The traffic is obviously an issue across the board. With the DD overhaul, a lot of folks migrated off. Some of us just got distracted and social media has eaten away at the community scene some pretty hard. PITFACE pretty much hit the nail on the head - make it loud, make it proud but no matter what you do, make it really damn obvious.

– I still can't get quotes to work. Oh, forum, why you gotta hate?
gullas at 12:34PM, Feb. 23, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Good call Pit!
I can put an image banner on the main page of the forum, here:
http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/
See where that red arrow is? That's a pic. I can stick a normal size image banner/link in any forum description.
We could also make sure to have a bold image banner at the top of every newspost that's not about a Quackcast or featured comic so it always has a presence directly on the front page of the site.

Other than that it's something that needs to be broadcast by people who are actually participating in it to the OUTSIDE- on your own twitter, devint art accounts, facebook, Google+, Tumblr etc.
And if you're incharge of the awards you NEED to interface with Skoolmunkee and I about it so we know what's going on and what to promote because even now we both have a LOT on our plates and can't follow this sort of stuff all the time.
That would be brilliant! And maybe Genejoke and others with community projects would be willing to recruit/manage extra pages and stuff for the awards?
Niccea at 2:45PM, Feb. 24, 2013
(online)
Sorry I missed some discussion, I was off the grid on a cruise for a week. No cell service or internet. I'm now back and really mellowed out.
And I really do wish that shere were more behind the scenes things. They are actually a bit of a new concept for the awards when you think about it. There was more participation in ‘12 then there was in ’11, but it was a bit stilted. A lot more happened behind the scene and with the judging.

-edit- I really do not know what Ozone was talking about I really had a time of reading the post. But yeah publicity is always good. I think I might have sent a press release to skool every week or every other week, but there was some trouble getting them out on time.

If anyone wants to help out by taking on sections of the large task of running the awards that would be great. Used Books has always been the one keeping me honest when it comes to ballot counts and whipping the judges into shape. Be good if maybe there could be someone only in charge of judging, someone in charge of the presenters, and then somone to act as a sort of master of ceremonies (keeping the comic up to date, badgering people for extras, etc.). And then somoene that makes sure that all those people are actually doing their jobs. Cause while I like doing this, I was doing almost everything last year and got spread a bit thin. It would even be easier if I just had one other person that was fully in charge of one aspect of the awards.
last edited on Feb. 24, 2013 8:01PM
bravo1102 at 10:23PM, Feb. 25, 2013
(online)
Delegation of authority is a good idea.  But where are we going to find the people to delegate to?  If only X knows there's an award show going how is one to find the x+1 to delegate functions to?

I say we buy banner ads on other comic hosting sites.

I was told to avoid tits and guns last year so don't look at me.
ozoneocean at 5:04AM, Feb. 26, 2013
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Delegation of authority is a good idea.  But where are we going to find the people to delegate to?  If only X knows there's an award show going how is one to find the x+1 to delegate functions to?

I say we buy banner ads on other comic hosting sites.

I was told to avoid tits and guns last year so don't look at me.

My point exactly!
There's no point complaining about lack of participation if people just hope others join in…
Sorry, but ads on your comics and the forums here only reach a very small amount of people.

And you can only delegate tasks when people are actually wanting to participate.
From personal experience, It's best when people turn up, bright and bushy tailed with their own ideas for cool things and you just let them do their thing as they see fit and encourage others to join in and help them.
All you as a manager do then is work out a way you can best use that as part of the project.

Believe me, the more control you have over things, the more work it is, till you're the only one pushing it all forward, and if something happens to you it can all topple and collapse.
So Niccea, be very wary of that! It's not fun.

Niccea at 6:03AM, Feb. 26, 2013
(online)
I am just saying that I may give the especially bright eyed some more responsiblility. Cuase I suffered from lack of delegation the last couple of years and did almost everything alone from making the awards  to monitoring judges to bugging presenters. I know when justnopoint was running things there were a lot more people behind the scenes in the judging. I seen their posts and learned their lessons…
usedbooks at 5:43PM, Feb. 26, 2013
(online)
I'm happy to help again however I'm able. (Not so much in a leader position, but I can be an okay lackey.)

Btw, one year, I spent my PW money on ads for the DD Awards. It got pretty good exposure that year, and I remember JNP got interviewed by an external site owner who saw the banners. Alas, I have no money, like, at all anymore. :P
last edited on Feb. 26, 2013 5:45PM
BffSatan at 1:31AM, Feb. 27, 2013
(online)
I could set up a hidden judging forum on thorsthundershack.com and oversee all of that biz like justnopoint did in 2010.
I don't know how you guys did the judging in 2011 and 2012 since I wasn't around.
fukujinzuke at 2:21AM, Feb. 27, 2013
(online)
I was a bit turned off by all the For Your Conisderation pages. I understand why creators would want them in the Awards webcomic, but, as just a reader (non-presenter/non-judge) it killed it for me, so I wonder if other users reacted the same way.
Reashi at 2:39AM, Feb. 27, 2013
(online)
You know what Niccea, I'll help out with the masters of ceremony thing, it basically ties into what I mentioned about behind the scenes stuff (i.e. filler material and such).
If needed I can help out elsewhere as well, I do have some organizing capabilities, i have run this last years Secret Santa and plan to do it again in summer and winter for this year as well.
Niccea at 6:45AM, Feb. 27, 2013
(online)
Reashi wrote:
You know what Niccea, I'll help out with the masters of ceremony thing, it basically ties into what I mentioned about behind the scenes stuff (i.e. filler material and such).
If needed I can help out elsewhere as well, I do have some organizing capabilities, i have run this last years Secret Santa and plan to do it again in summer and winter for this year as well.
I moved up from Secret Santa to the awards two years ago. It is a vicious cycle.
@ BFF: We still got access to JustNoPoint's forum. He gave me administrative rights.
@fuku: The For Your Consideration was used to drum upsupport for comics and give them spotlight attention before the nomination process began. It is for the readers and has helped bring lesser known comics to awareness.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved