Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Is it plagiarism if its an adaption?
authorfly at 12:00AM, March 1, 2013
(online)
 I was thinking about making a short comic based on a short novella I liked from when I was younger. However as I thought about the project it developed into more of an adaption than a kind of Fan Fic. I was wondering if I were to make a comic based on the story that had an extended plot and expanded characters that were still essentially the same plot and characters with my own spin and character designs would it get taken down or desisted for copyright infringement? It may also have some similar or the same dialog from the book in certain cases. Let me know what you think, are adaptions frowned upon?
BffSatan at 1:08AM, March 1, 2013
(online)
Copyright is a fairly tricky thing, it doesn't work and set rules as much as it does guidelines.
I think this would probably be an infringement on copyright, but most fanfics
and fan-comics also would technically be aswell, the only exceptions
would be those that could be argued to be parodies. There is some
wiggle-room to argue fair use in some cases, although not so much with an adapatation.
However, no one really ever bothers to follow these things up else you'd see tons of fanfic authors getting sued all the time.
Also,
it should be noted that this can vary between works and authors. Some
authors may be using a creative commons liscense. That's pretty new
though, so if you read it when you were younger this book probably isn't
under that.
Also, if it's an old book then the copyright may have fallen into public domain.
Another thing to consider is if it is commercial or not. Since you are posting it on a website with ads, even though you are not the one making money off of them, it would probably be seen as commercial use.
Although I'm hardly an expert on any of this.
last edited on March 1, 2013 1:09AM
ozoneocean at 9:12AM, March 1, 2013
(online)
BffSatan is right, it IS very, very tricky!
However, there are two huge precedents that can help you here…
I'm sure you're well aware of the “Twilight” books and movies?  Well apparently Twilight was a big fat ripp-off fan-fiction from some other series, I'm sorry, but I can't remember what (probably Anne Rice), but apparently that started as fan fiction and she just changed it till she made it sufficiently different.
-Publishing houses these days for some reason are way more likely to accept bad fan-fiction erotica than works from known published successful authors. (That is actually true)

Anyway, the other massive example you should know is Shades of Grey- that started out as a very bad fan-fiction of Twilight. It was published in an online erotica fan fiction writing forum by the author. Obviously it went through a few revisions till she ended up making the characters her own and the story separated sufficiently from the origin.

So THERE you go! All you needed to do is follow those examples- If you can change things so the origins are not recognisable you CAN get away with it and even sell your work for massive bucks.

OrchardHeroes at 1:10PM, March 1, 2013
(online)
great suggestions here. I think all those points above are valid, but I also think it depends how far you want to go with your work. If you plan on publishing or making money off of your work, you will definitely need to consult experts or do a little more of your own research as to the rules and regulations. If it is just for fun, I don't see the harm in just giving credit and recognition where its due and going for it.
authorfly at 2:46PM, March 1, 2013
(online)
 Thank you all for replying. The work I had in mind would be strictly for my own amusement and to use as a learning tool. I would not even consider trying to profit from it. I have always wanted to strongly emulate this particular author and I am a person who loves to study both the art direction and writing aspects of sequential art. So not only would this be an art project but a way for me to deeper understand the plot pacing and story structure of one of my favorite childrens writers. After all of you offered your helpful advice I think I am going to try my best to make my work similar but different to the source material with original names places and story elements. If I'm lucky I may also find this gives me more freedom in my writing.   
OrchardHeroes at 9:18AM, March 2, 2013
(online)
Best of luck to you! Enjoy the ride!
Genejoke at 11:45PM, March 11, 2013
(online)
I'm sure you're well aware of the “Twilight” books and movies?  Well apparently Twilight was a big fat ripp-off fan-fiction from some other series, I'm sorry, but I can't remember what (probably Anne Rice), but apparently that started as fan fiction and she just changed it till she made it sufficiently different. 
I didn't know that but…   50 shades of grey started as twilight fan fic.
BffSatan at 4:55AM, March 13, 2013
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
 I didn't know that but…   50 shades of grey started as twilight fan fic.
Someone should write a fifty shades fan fic, then edit it enough to publish it. The cycle shall continue.
ozoneocean at 8:16PM, March 13, 2013
(online)
@ Genejoke- yup, mentioned that. :)

@BFFSatan- I beleive that's already been done. ^_^

ATBL at 7:42PM, July 9, 2013
(online)
It's a bit long, but this is a pretty good panel discussion about this very topic. Worth watching for anyone in comics, really: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKBsTUjd910

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved