Debate and Discussion

The Duck Dying?
mattboy115 at 12:22AM, April 5, 2013
(online)
Take a look at all the other topics in this forum. In any section. There are NO posts with today's date on them. Nobody is viewing anybody's comics and if they are, it's very little. Mine doesn't get viewed at all. I have to advertise on facebook and even that doesn't work. Ever since the revamp, the whole site has gone to crap. Everyone I've ever known has left. If this continues, I am leaving for Comic Genesis.
_
Discuss!
El Cid at 6:44AM, April 5, 2013
(online)
I didn't know Comic Genesis was still accepting comics! Hmm, I must be confusing them with another site.

From what I can see, you're definitely right about the forums being dead, which is tragic. I always like to point out that, even before the revamp, the forums here were pretty lethargic, and even then it wasn't uncommon for threads to sit for days without a response. But since the revamp things just went sub-zero real fast.

Unfortunately, since there are no comic stats, it's impossible to know how many people are reading our comics anymore. Judging by comments, I suspect my comic is getting nearly as many readers as it used to get. Reader feedback has remained fairly constant throughout, though slightly down right now (likely due to the state of the plot, and seasonal trends). At least one comic I follow here seems to be getting more feedback than a couple years ago. It does seem like the majority of comics here get little or no feedback… but then that, too, seems to have always been the case.

There are a lot of creative people still here, and good new comics are popping up all the time. Not nearly enough of them seem to be discovering the forums, but they are posting comics. If it feels like you're drifting alone out there, you're not. The best thing you can do, both to improve the site and attract people to your work, is to give as much feedback as you can to other comics here that you like. People who receive enough feedback tend to also give feedback. They may not always directly recipricate to the people who comment on their comics, but with enough artists mixing out there, it makes this a more vibrant art community, and eventually some of that comes around to everybody.
mattboy115 at 10:51AM, April 5, 2013
(online)
You're absolutely right. Remember when we used to light up the forum games section and have sooo much fun? I miss those days. I think that might have been where I got all my feedback from. But those people don't even seem to inhabit the site anymore. I've given out PQs and got NOTHING in months. It seems hopeless….
El Cid at 1:09PM, April 5, 2013
(online)
If there were one thing I'd like to see fixed ASAP, it would have to be the PQs. It's virtually impossible now to communicate with anybody here via PQ, since there's no notification, and not everybody checks their PQs on a regular basis.

My guess is that most people use this site for posting their comics, but do their socializing with like-minded weirdos on other better-suited social media like Facebook, or sites like SmackJeeves or ComicFury that have more active forums.
Hawk at 4:44PM, April 5, 2013
(online)
Well, nobody's really going to debate with you whether or not activity has died down on the Duck Forums.  It simply has.  There have even been a lot of consolidations just to keep people in the same area and willing to communicate.

But on the idea of The Duck itself dying?  To me it's still performing its primary function.  I think we ourselves are more responsible for keeping our comic traffic up than the Duck is.  Over its lifetime the website has done things to push readers in our direction, such as daily features and the recently updated list.  But things like this are only icing on the cake that is providing hosting for our comics.

I do miss the time when the much higher traffic helped make a certain amount of new readers stumble onto my comic regularly.  But the absence of this made me realize that the true responsibility of gathering readers for my comic ultimately lands on me.
dragonsong12 at 5:10PM, April 5, 2013
(online)
I actually started out on Comic Genesis (back when it was Keenspace), I left because that site was terribly designed and difficult to use…I mean, I have my complaints about the changes here, too, but man, if you wanna leave, you should probably head to Smack Jeeves or something. A site that actually WORKS.

As for DD, I agree with Hawk, man. If my little corner of DD isn't seeing much traffic, well that's on me. I've never been much into the forums, myself, they never struck me as being THAT active, and I've been here for a while (though admittedly, I don't post on the forums much, as my post count shows.)

I get your frustration, but you're probably going to find these problems at other places too, and if not these, then different problems. Every site has their issues. It's just the nature of things. It's a matter of deciding if it's worth the effort to you to strike out again. If it is, go for it. Might be better for you in the long run. For me, I've stuck with DD this long, and this site has treated me well. I'll be around a while longer.

(EDIT: Though I am pretty continually frustrated with how my posts look after I type them up…why do they format so weird?)
last edited on April 5, 2013 5:12PM
mattboy115 at 6:06PM, April 5, 2013
(online)
You're all right about a lot of stuff. For one, yes, Comic Genesis is extremely hard to use. And both SmackJeeves and Comic Fury have such an unprofessional look to them. They also don't have a homepage editor like DD has now. I'll have to relearn html and mess with uploading images and I don't have that kind of time. I used to be a hotshot html editor on my comic pages and had pretty awesome themes before they added the editor. I got too dependant on it. DD has just been my place since the very beginning! It WAS and IS easy to use and used to be so socially active. It's still got a homey feel with a new professional look but somehow it retarded itself.
_
I just want my traffic back. I've done everything I can think of. There's no use in the forums so I've gone to facebook. My FB page for my comic has 117 likes right now but NOBODY likes or comments on my statuses. And I make statuses with links every time I update the comic. 30-60 people see my statuses every time I post one. I just don't understand it.
_
As for the forums, they never used to be dead like this. They were very much alive before the revamp. After the revamp my life got kinda busy and hectic and I wasn't able to keep up on my comics anymore. Like at all. I used to have like 5 active comic serieses at the same time with plenty of traffic. I came back just a few months ago and everyone died!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved