Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Why Did You Choose Webcomics?
dragonsong12 at 12:22PM, April 5, 2013
(online)
So, fellow creators, why is is that you do what you do? Why did you pick webcomics for your medium rather than, say, prose writing or straight illustration. What is it about webcomics that draws you in?

For me, I'd have to say it's just because I'm a very visual person. I prefer seeing things rather than having them described to me. Not to knock the art of writing AT ALL - writing and drawing are different mediums and have their own pros and cons - but the pros of visual art outweigh the cons for me personally, and I like the challenge of trying to convey things in image form. I also tend to just skip descriptions of backgrounds and whatnot in books, haha! But in comics, the setting is all there and can be taken in in an instant. I find it very immersive.

So what are your reasons for being here? Do you find it easier than writing, or harder? Is it just a hobby, or something you're more serious about? Hey, this is your own take on it, so there are no wrong answers! :D
El Cid at 8:42PM, April 9, 2013
(online)
It's a good question actually, why anyone bothers creating webcomics as opposed to other formats. When you consider just how much time and effort it takes to make a comic, and how very little return you can expect on that investment in terms of monetary remuneration and appreciation, it's a doomed endeavor in all but the rarest of cases. It's taken me some six years to finish the comic I'm working on. In that time I could have written six novels and countless short stories, all of which (if they didn't suck) would be more likely to earn me both money and respect than my current drudgery. And then of course, there's independent film and animation, which is also a lot of work but at least there's a greater audience out there for your efforts.

I don't really have a good explanation as to why I've chosen webcomics. I've always enjoyed both reading and creating comics, despite the shortcomings of the format. I think some ideas just translate better into a visual method. Superhero action, gag comedy, and of course pin-up type stuff, all can benefit from being told through pictures rather than just words. Some genres however, like romance and drama, probably less so. For me, I guess I just tend to work in genres that lend themselves well to visual storytelling, though I do wish to someday get back to writing.
irrevenant at 8:56PM, April 12, 2013
(online)
I don't know if I'm a good example since I have yet to, y'know, actually make a webcomic.

In general I would say that aptitude plays a big part: If you have the ability to make words sing you're going to be more interested in novel writing.  If you express yourself well visually you'll more likely go down that path.  But are aptitudes extensions of your interests anyway?

And my theory falls down because I am a decent writer currently trying to build my rudimentary art skills to a level suitable for drawing a webcomic.

I think part of the appeal of comics lies in the fact that webcomics are a fusion medium somewhere between a novel and a visual artwork like a photo or painting - words and pictures coming together.

The apeal of webcomics in particular has to be having complete freedom and control over your work.  To take an idea you have and simultaneously render it both visually and as a story is like magic.  It is (to plagiarise a certain Sci-fi series :P) ‘a dream given form’.

re: Which is harder out of writing and creating webcomics it's, IMO, a flawed question.  Both require skill and effort to do well, and they require different skills and efforts to do well.  And when you become good at either you can produce work that seems both impossibly simple and completely unachievable to those without the skills.
last edited on April 12, 2013 9:02PM
Neilsama at 2:58PM, April 20, 2013
(online)
Dasien was an idea that I had in mind for a long time.  I never thought I'd get a chance to do it.  It seemed like she'd only exist in the drawing pads stashed under my bed.  And then someone told me about comics on the interwebs.  I think a week later, Dasien was on the internet.
JillyFoo at 7:21PM, April 26, 2013
(online)
I was doing writing in high school, but I kept coming up with humor which is much easier to convey visually. I'm not really witty or descriptive enough to be a very interesting writer. There are some books I've read where I love the way it is written Fahrenheit 451 for instance…amazing. Comics I can just focus on dialog and a little narration if needed.
Also with comics you can have that visual director's power. You can choose the angles and what you want to show and what you don't want to show.
And of course you have to power to show what your character looks like to the viewer. Your own style. You can have an ugly character and show it as one while in writing the reader can fill in the blanks with what is not described.
Now comics do take a lot longer than writing, yet I do think really good writing should take a while too.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved