Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Prolific or good?
irrevenant at 5:37AM, June 21, 2013
(online)
I'd like to get people's opinions: As a novice comicer and artist, is it better to produce a lot of comics comparatively quickly or to take a lot of time and get each one just perfect?  Or somewhere in between?
I realise this is a personal choice and there's possibly no ‘right’ answer, but I'd be interested in people's individual perspectives.
Thanks.
Dizz at 4:27AM, June 27, 2013
(offline)
Hey Revv… I read through your comic… and I must say I have always had a thing for the “becoming the hero” stories. were you planning on making more? also what do you use for your art? 
I am brand new to both webcomics, this site, and drawing digitally… so I know it's not the best, and I desperately want feedback. So here is my webpage… If there is anything you can tell me, or anyone on here can show me, to help draw fans… I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.1d4rounds.com/index.html 
I hope to hear back from someone. I had read somewhere that this was a good place to go to get helpful feedback. So I look forward to it.
Thanks in advance,
-Deece (Artist at 1d4Rounds) 
El Cid at 5:29PM, June 28, 2013
(online)
No one good answer to that; either can work. When I first started out with webcomics (before I knew about this place), I used to post prolific amounts of stuff, like a new comic daily. The quality was quite poor, but I managed to make something of a name for myself just by being highly visible and consistent. Then after that, I gradually decreased my output while focusing on putting out better quality stuff. So, I guess putting out a lot of stuff initially worked well for me when I was first getting established, but after a while it's too brutal of a pace to keep up, and people start expecting better from you.
irrevenant at 8:07PM, June 28, 2013
(online)
@ El Cid: So it sounds like what worked for you was to start without worrying too much about quality then improving over time?  I must admit that's the way I'm leaning towards myself.  Thank you.
@ Dizz: I am planning on making more and I've got a lot of ideas for where to take the comic.  I'm finding myself a little bit overwhelmed by the whole thing at the moment, (hence this post).  I realised in hindsight that one question I never answered in Chaos's Origin story is: “Why is he a hero?”.  We know how he got his ‘powers’, but why does he use them as he does?  I hope to address that in future comics (once I fully work it out myself! xD).
 I use a Wacom Intuos 5 graphics tablet to draw in conjunction with The GIMP graphical software.
Your comic is cool - it looks very professional.
As a first time visitor to the site, my main complaint would be that the navigation is a bit awkward.  Specifically:

The actual comic is hidden under a link entitled “1d4 Weekly” (as a new reader I have no idea whether “1d4 Rounds”, “1d4 Weekly” or “1d4 VS Round 51” is the actual comic). 
When you do find the comic under 1d4 Weekly it has no ‘previous’ or ‘first’ buttons.
The archive pages do have ‘next’ and ‘previous’ buttons, but no ‘first’ or ‘latest’ buttons.
When I tried to get to the first comic by hitting  'previous' again and again it didn't stop when I reached the start. Hitting ‘previous’ from Page 1 took me back to the most recent page.  Ideally there should be no ‘previous’ button on page 1 because there are no comics prior to the first one.
I'll let someone far more knowledgable than I suggest promotion techniques.  I want to build up more actual content before I even consider that…
ATBL at 9:45PM, July 12, 2013
(online)
The rule of thumb I set for myself when I first started seriously working on comics was that I had to produce one completed page of line art per day. If it needed color, I'd give myself two days, but try to work faster than that. This is a good standard for people to use in the event that they ever want to work on printed comics, since most comics release monthly. So it's a good production schedule to aspire to even if you only do webcomics. This might mean that you have to draw very fast at first and have a lack of quality, but you will eventually get better as you progress and practice. 

KimLuster at 1:20PM, July 17, 2013
(online)
I've been following what seems to be a developing theme here as well.  I've been a decent artist when it comes to paintings and drawing, but I've always been veeeeerry slow.  With a web comic (my first and only) I decided that speed must come first.  So that's what I've been doing.  Quality has suffered greatly (and I'm a bit embarrased by some my pages, especially earlier ones), but I feel it's starting to pay off.  My pages are getting tighter, cleaner, and just better (still a waaaays to go, though), and all the while I'm maintaining my speed.  I try to maintain a pace of about one page every three days.  My quality must improve a bit further before I'll consider seriously promoting it, but I think that day may come now… someday haha
irrevenant at 7:46PM, July 19, 2013
(online)
Well it certainly seems to have paid off for you, because your comic is brilliant!
Thank you for the feedback, all.  I think I've decided that, for me at least, the trick is to stop overthinking the darn thing and just do it. xD
KimLuster wrote:
I've been following what seems to be a developing theme here as well.  I've been a decent artist when it comes to paintings and drawing, but I've always been veeeeerry slow.  With a web comic (my first and only) I decided that speed must come first.  So that's what I've been doing.  Quality has suffered greatly (and I'm a bit embarrased by some my pages, especially earlier ones), but I feel it's starting to pay off.  My pages are getting tighter, cleaner, and just better (still a waaaays to go, though), and all the while I'm maintaining my speed.  I try to maintain a pace of about one page every three days.  My quality must improve a bit further before I'll consider seriously promoting it, but I think that day may come now… someday haha
Genejoke at 4:06AM, Jan. 22, 2014
(online)
When starting out, prolific works as practice makes perfect.  
irrevenant at 4:15AM, Jan. 22, 2014
(online)
Sadly, it turns out that my drawing speed combined with my available time tends to rule out prolific.  But I'm trying to improve a little bit with each page I draw and I seem to be making SOME progress.

BTW, I saw that  page you drew for Heroes Alliance #8.  Seems totally unfair that you can draw that well AND do the 3D stuff.  Stop hogging all the talent, demmit! xD
Genejoke wrote:
When starting out, prolific works as practice makes perfect.  
Genejoke at 7:28AM, Jan. 22, 2014
(online)
I actually started looking at the 3d stuff as a way of doing backgrounds for my 2d art but got carried away.  a good example of someone who tried the same is asbin who does project GTH.  a number of his backgrounds are 3.  as far as I know he uses google sketchup for that.
irrevenant at 2:47PM, Jan. 22, 2014
(online)
*nodnod*  I can see myself pursuing the same one day.  I've played with Blender a bit and wouldn't mind becoming much more proficient in it.  But I have a really bad habit of being distracted by the next shiny and never actually *finishing* anything, so I'm not letting myself do that until I've got the drawing side of things significantly more nailed down… 
IndifferentlyEvil at 3:53AM, Jan. 26, 2014
(online)
Depends on your desired audience. Some comics I will always go back to, even if they are slow to update, because the art truly wows me, and suits the story perfectly. Examples of this are ‘Girl Genius’ and ‘Dead Winter’ (although ‘Girl Genius isn’t that slow - but looks amazing).
Other comics I just want to read the story. The art is okay, but doesn't drag me in like the story does. With these ones I need prolific updates to keep my interest, or I give up.
Unfortunately, this is an artistic thing. And with artistic things, listen to what everyone is saying, then do whatever you feel is correct, cos with art you are allowed to break rules.
-Max
I draw stuff.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved