Comic Talk and General Discussion *

QUACKCAST 130 - needs your CONTRIBUTION! Subject:: You fave comicbook MOVIE
Ozoneocean at 2:42AM, June 24, 2013
(online)
Hello. Hello. HELLO!!!!!!
Banes and I want to hear from people about their fave comic book movies!
So, that's like movies based on comicbooks.
What are your faves?
Why?
We need to know!

can be superhero ones like Ironman, superman, batman, Spiderman… or stuff like Ghostworld, Scott Pilgrim, American Splendour… even animated stuff like Ghost In The Shell, Asterix, Corto Maltize, Heavy Metal… as long as it was a comic first. Just tell us!! ^_^

Just post your submissions in this thread or send recordings to ozoneocean at yahoo dot com.
Due date: Friday the 28th of Jun!
usedbooks at 12:34PM, June 25, 2013
(online)
I've always had a soft spot for the 1990 Dick Tracy movie. I'm not sure why. I watched it as a kid, and it stuck with me, so I like to watch it again when I see it on. I think it was the comic-style cinematography, lighting, and color schemes that drew me to it. I never actually read the comic, btw. The only other exposure I had to the franchise was that Warner Bros. “Duck Tracy” cartoon.

I would also like to go on record as saying live action Garfield movies are a crime against humanity.
Gunwallace at 1:30PM, June 25, 2013
(offline)
Ghostworld. Excellent movie, even if not a perfect translation of the comic book. It has a great soundtrack.
American Splendor was fun, and captured the essense of Pekar's comics … even if the overarching message seemed to be that a comic os only a success once it is made into a film.
Crumb.
Also a lot of anime, taken from managa …
Akira, one of the greatest animated movies of all time, and such a revelation when if was first released to Western audiences.
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
Ghost in the Shell
Even things like the 1970s live actions films of Lone Wolf and Cub and Lady Snowblood.
Oh, and Fritz the Cat, just for laughs.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
last edited on June 25, 2013 1:35PM
SLK8ne at 1:29PM, June 26, 2013
(online)
Hm…hard to choose.
Comic books that have already been adapted:
V for Vendetta Hugo Weaving nailed the role perfectly. (and was a hero too!)
The Leage of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Solomon Kane did a really good job of showing how Kane could come to be Kane.
Banes did a good job of expounding on The Watchmen.
The Shadow some people hate it, but, I loved it. I think it was based on the comics by DC which combined the mythos of the radio program with the mythos of the pulps.
I also second Gunwallace on Akira and Ghost in the Shell
Duse Ex Machina
Comic books I'd love to see made into movies…
Helsing I'd love to see Alucard and Integra Helsing on the big screen!
Winter City an indi comic from Australia about a deranged vigilante who thinks he's the Grim Reaper. The artwork is /amazing/! http://www.winter-city.com/home/
Identity Crisis from DC. One of the JLA's family members are murdered and it's the story of how they find the killer, and how the members respond to that threat and the stress involved. (even Superman gets nervous and irratable)
gullas at 3:33PM, June 26, 2013
(offline)
Just a few fromt he top of my head

Batman Begins: By far, the best in Nolan's trilogy. Great setup, kickass action, good story, loved the style of the city. A+

Thor: In late last september, I went to see this one in theater (the 3d didn't do much for me) because I was intrigued. The Marvel version of Thor isn't really a thing here, but mostly I went because I was bored. I quickly decided to watch it with neutral eyes, my friend didn't and hated what they did with the Norse mythology, and I was delightfully surprised with that movie.

Spawn:Kickass movie but it's ultimately crippled with the horrible CGI. How I whised this one would be remade with today's technology……

Also I'd like to see Preachermade into a tv-series, not into a movie. Roughly one series for each book ^^ I think it would help the with establishing viewer-character relationship. Also the side-plots that are in the comics, you can't really fit them or do them justice in a 2 - 2 1/2 hours long movie…
last edited on June 26, 2013 3:44PM
El Cid at 5:53PM, June 26, 2013
(online)
My favorite comic book movie, I didn't even realize WAS based on a comic when I first saw it: BLADE!!! It took all the best parts of my favorite genres and delivered a slick, gory, action-packed vampire bashfest. Loved it!

It's not an absolute rule, but generally speaking I hate it when directors try to make their movie look too much like the comic it's based on. Like with Joel Schumacher's “Batman & Robin,” where they completely ruined everything because they wanted it to look more like a comic than a movie. A lot of the things they do in comics, they do because it suits the medium. It doesn't always translate well to live action. Sometimes it works, like with the Sin City movie (which was awesome, but I didn't enjoy as much as I should have, because it followed the subject material virtually word-for-word, so I was able to literally say the lines along with the actors in some scenes). I think a big part of why that worked, though, is because the artwork on Sin City could be more of a cinematic style to begin with.
last edited on June 26, 2013 5:54PM
Abt_Nihil at 12:44PM, June 27, 2013
(offline)
El Cid wrote:
It's not an absolute rule, but generally speaking I hate it when directors try to make their movie look too much like the comic it's based on. Like with Joel Schumacher's "Batman )
Abt_Nihil at 12:57PM, June 27, 2013
(offline)
Three things I'd like to mention:

(1) Anime and manga have more of a natural connection than Western comic book adaptations, which is why they usually work better (I could name so many of my favorites, but for brevity I'll just second Akira and Ghost in the Shell) AND are less interesting AS adaptations. Usually, if the manga is good, there'll be a good anime adaptation. Which is a far cry from Western adaptations, which are usually much more their own thing.

(2) The live-action adaptations of manga might be more interesting! Take a look at Space Battleship Yamamoto or Gantz, for instance! These basically struggle with much the same problems like Western comic book adaptations: They have to re-interpret the material in order to make it work for live-action… and usually, there are considerable shortcomings.

(3) Finally, I'd like to mention some of my favorites:

Batman Returns: Dark, cynical, nightmarish, over-the-top, with a beautiful sense of style, fantastic actors and one of my favorite scores ever, this isn't just my favorite comic book adaptation, but one of my all-time favorites, period.

The Dark Knight: This is the only one from the Nolan trilogy which really made sense to me. It's more consistent than the other two, and adds a lot of depth to two principal Batman villains, who I've never found more interesting than in this movie. Nolan's mix of serious crime drama and comic-book mythology is quite delicate, but in this instance, it works perfectly for me.

The Avengers: Probably an obvious choice, but I just couldn't imagine a more flawless and fun comic book adaptation than this one. Basically, the only shortcoming here is that the plot really has zero depth (which is why the two movies above still beat this one).

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon