Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Alternative to your comics?
gullas at 3:17PM, June 26, 2013
(offline)
So as I was taking a 16 hours shift the other day(not the smartest idea) I got to wonder : “Honestly, would my comic work better as an alternative media rather than being a comic” and frankly I do belive that my own would.
Let's look at the premise: it's a semi-shapelss/prehensile fetus, in a 2 dimensional world, accompanied by a narrator and a regular cast that includes an almost omnipotent deity… if this isn't a recipe for a wonderfull 2d-2,5d, phycics-puzzle side scroller, then what is?

Now I guess this wouldn't work for every singel comic but some comics might be better in a movie, sitcoms or an episodic format, animated or not.

So what do you think? do you think your comic would be better as something else and if so, how?
Skar at 6:33PM, June 28, 2013
(online)
Funny thing, I've got a case of the reverse. My comic started off as a platformer.

I realized that I wasn't going to finish the game any time soon without help, so I put the idea on hold. Around the same time, I started drawing random stuff about the city the game's characters came from. It sort of turned into what it is now.

Title image

I'd love to visit the idea again, because it just has so much potential game-design wise, but it's sure as hell not happening in Game Maker.
last edited on June 28, 2013 6:35PM
usedbooks at 3:02PM, June 29, 2013
(online)
My comic was originally envisioned as a TV series. In fact, I called my pages “storyboards” and drew basically enough to get the ideas accross to my friends. I knew I didn't have the skill to do anything with them, but they were written as scripts and I wanted the ideas there. (And it's the only way my friends would read them.)

But I'd love my story as an adventure game, like an interactive storybook or a point-and-click adventure thing.
I started a side-project of a choose-your-own adventure story, but I haven't added to it in a while: http://www.curiousv.com/usedbooks/cyoa/
Ozoneocean at 8:49AM, July 1, 2013
(online)
Well Pinky TA began as a fine art painting series, not a comic at all.
I tired writing it as a novel but I spent too much time on descriptions so in the end I thought it was waaay better to SHOW it instead of talk about it!
I've tried animating it, but it takes too long… It would work as an anime though. That'd probably be the best media.
I've thought about doing a live action movie- just a very limited script, only a couple of characters, all shot on location in sand dunes in the bush. I still MAY do that, but the trouble is getting the people together and getting access to decent equipment without paying too much.
meemjar at 3:57PM, July 16, 2013
(offline)
If I do say so myself; I think Smorty Smythe would make a heck of a platform video game.
El Cid at 12:55PM, July 17, 2013
(online)
I think my comic, or at least some of the characters from it, would work pretty well if adapted to a television series. Like, one of those premium channel series like “The Sopranos” or “Spartacus: Blood and Sand.” I'm sure a show that takes a lighthearted glimpse into the lives of two pathologically maladjusted homicidal prostitutes would be fun to watch. They'd need to find more talented writers than myself to pull it off though!
Faliat at 5:32PM, July 24, 2013
(offline)
I wrote in small notebooks and on the computer and drew accompanying illustrations from the age of 12 about the earliest forms of the characters and world my comics inhabit. Nothing like it is now but I still write the scenarios that way before I draw the pictures. So yeah. Probably novels.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Banes at 4:12PM, Aug. 2, 2013
(offline)
My series was originally created as an animated web series. It was a lot of fun, especially getting the voice tracks from the actors…but it was taking so long to do each story, and I wasn't very satisfied with them for the most part (they were slowly getting better, though).

So I switched to the comic format.

Every so often I think of doing animations of these characters again - maybe shorter stories.

I'd like to do some stories with puppets, too, if I could get around to making them. That'd be kind of fun.

Seeing Bobby the fetus as an animated show makes sense to me, Gullas!

ashurcollective at 1:09PM, Aug. 4, 2013
(online)
Ours was a novel. Or is. It still is. There's like 200k words written for it all and we decided to start off with a graphic novel to kick off everything.
resleander at 8:07AM, Aug. 6, 2013
(offline)
A TV show or mini-series. It's noir, character driven, after the set-up; somewhat episodic in nature. I figured, maybe a novel. But no POV voiceovers though. That wouldn't work.
Hawk at 11:09AM, Aug. 10, 2013
(online)
I thought my comic might actually work as a game, so I made one:

http://www.drunkduck.com/Culture_Shock/5278901/

But sometimes I think it might actually function well as a fighting game. But those are quite a bit harder to make.
last edited on Aug. 10, 2013 11:12AM
dueeast at 8:15AM, Oct. 16, 2013
(offline)
I think Due East could easily translate to television. Off Hours would probably make a better movie than tv show…although now that I think about it, an Off Hours cartoon/anime would be hilarious! XD
And my newest comic, Super Chibi Girl, could work as an anime or real actors mixed with CGI movie (it could be all CGI but I think it might lose something in the translation).
last edited on Oct. 16, 2013 8:16AM
Neilsama at 2:52PM, Nov. 10, 2013
(offline)
I think Dasien would be good as an 80s style cartoon. That's pretty much what it was designed after.
Anubis at 5:31PM, Nov. 11, 2013
(offline)
Id like to make a first person slasher game featuring the player as one of the cute abominations, ripping into people…. that would be cool

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon