Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Dre-drawing earlier pages VS. leaving them as is.....
Jobo at 9:04PM, July 21, 2013
(online)
So I am going to print/sell the first few issues of my comics “Rizmo” and “Jobo” at a local con this year, and I am having a bit of a problem.
I am pretty horrified and embarrassed with my earlier pages (mainly because when i started making comics, i didnt really care about it at all and it was so long ago (much improvement had been made)
When I asked my fellow artists it alays is about 50/50 on Re-draw them before you print or leave them as is!  Apparently, lots of readers like seeing the progress. But honestly, I don't think it would be right to sell anyone crappy art…
BUT LETS DISCUSS: What do you guys do usually? Do you like to go back and refine/ re-draw earlier pages, or do you leave them as is?
KimLuster at 2:23PM, July 22, 2013
(online)
Hard to say… Your earliest pages of Jobo are distinctively stylish and good enough that I wouldn't feel embarrased to sell them at a convention (I've seen much, much worse that yours at conventions and people were buying them *shrug*).  They are a bit rough, but far from ‘crappy art’.  Can't speak for myself - I'd redo my entire comic before I tried to sell haha
Jobo at 10:48AM, July 23, 2013
(online)
Well thanks. :) Ive never sold at a comic expo before so I'm not entirely sure what to expect.. though still, it's tough printing art that you are unhappy with…. 
lol! I was considering re-doing the entire comic as well xD , but then I decided to not drive myself crazy. 
irrevenant at 2:37AM, July 29, 2013
(online)
Jobo wrote:
So I am going to print/sell the first few issues of my comics “Rizmo” and “Jobo” at a local con this year, and I am having a bit of a problem.
I am pretty horrified and embarrassed with my earlier pages (mainly because when i started making comics, i didnt really care about it at all and it was so long ago (much improvement had been made)
When I asked my fellow artists it alays is about 50/50 on Re-draw them before you print or leave them as is!  Apparently, lots of readers like seeing the progress. But honestly, I don't think it would be right to sell anyone crappy art…
BUT LETS DISCUSS: What do you guys do usually? Do you like to go back and refine/ re-draw earlier pages, or do you leave them as is?
Firstly, I second Kim's comment: Your first pages look pretty darn good to me!
I'm not in the same league as you guys but I have given thought to what to do about redrawing when I get better.
Personally I intend to keep the older art so I can look back and see my improvement (and because I'd drive myself crazy constantly redrawing if I set down that path).
But you're concerned about it because you want to sell a collected edition which is different.  So there's always the third option:  Draw new versions of the pages, use the new pages for the print version and, in the web version, continue using the original but include a link to the new, redrawn version.
I've seen people do that (can't remember who now :/) and it really does seem the best of all possible worlds…
resleander at 5:10PM, Aug. 5, 2013
(online)
Your first pages look pretty good. As was said before. I think people like it if they can see the progress. I do! Leave them as is.
And you can take this from my own personal experience: re-drawing may be a never ending cycle. You improve your first pages, then the rest, and then all the way to the last page again. Then you find something else you're not happy about it, improve that, then apply that to the first page again.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved