Drunk Duck Awards

2013 Take Two
Niccea at 5:43PM, Nov. 5, 2013
(offline)
Hey guys. Sorry for not showing back up for a while. Real life and all. I got so used to the site being down I forgot to come back when it is up.

I don't think we can finish up the awards like normal this year because of the big issue, but I still would like to have finished project.

Judging will not be feasible at this point, but we can just give the wins to the popular vote comics this year.

However, I would like to still have some sort of presentation, but I'm not expecting all the presenter volunteers to suddenly show up and make their pages. Any ideas?
El Cid at 8:17AM, Nov. 6, 2013
(online)
Just my opinion, but I think an awards show for popular vote comics would leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. Without actually wrangling enough people to do some actual judging, I don't think it will be a good idea, or maybe even fair, to go forward with any kind of awards ceremony.

That's not to say we can't still have some kind of end-of-the-year-type bonanza, some sort of Massive Failure Show for 2013. The DD Awards weren't just about giving away fake trophies; they were about celebrating the DD community, and the achievements of our brilliant creators, as well as giving artists a chance to show thanks to their fan bases. I'm sure we can still preserve all of that some kind of way without giving out any awards.

Just my thoughts there, but I'm waaay too busy today to think of anything specific right now. I just don't like the idea of awards without a quality control filter. But without awards, we'd have to come up with something to draw people in. The awards were always a Big Deal because everybody wanted to see who wins, who loses, and even who has the occasional meltdown (yeah, that's part of the drama that makes things interesting). Everybody had something vested in the big awards show, so we'd have to come up with something else to make it a Big Deal that everyone would take notice of. Maybe awards, but a completely different kind of awards altogether?

Okay, gonna stop now. No time to type. But it would be really cool to see what people come up with.
bravo1102 at 2:27PM, Nov. 7, 2013
(online)
I'm up for a “reader's choice special last minute” award show.  I had two of the presentations nearly done before the meltdown.

I've seen judges play worse favorites than popular voters and that's among supposedly impartial skilled hobbyists as opposed to plain old readers.  Let them decide in a run-off pole and make up a Special Last Minute Duck Reader's Choice award thingee.
El Cid at 6:09AM, Nov. 8, 2013
(online)
Well, all things considered, a Reader's Choice Awards is probably the most we'd be able to manage before year's end.
itsjustaar at 12:41PM, Nov. 8, 2013
(online)
If you guys are still looking for contributions for a “Thanks for the Nomination” page, I can whip something up to include on the Awards page.

I'm against the popular vote, too. :/ I'd rather it be judged, honestly. It seemed to me like we had a good few involved, considering all the hype that went into it. I can honestly say it was kind of a big stressful summer just going through rounding up my fanbase for all of the votes, for a lot of my friends too, so just kinda giving the awards away would just be like going out with a quiet fizzle than a big bang.

This is kind of a pickle. :/
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
Niccea at 11:13AM, Nov. 10, 2013
(offline)
If we can judges and get them moving quickly, we can still do this the traditional way. I will take some time to reach out to the volunteers we havent heard from yet.
I am a bit busier now cause I got a promotion at work, but I think I can force my hubby into helping out. He is taking time off work for now.
El Cid at 3:18PM, Nov. 10, 2013
(online)
I'm sure I could do some more judging. I don't know how many categories were able to get judged before the blackout, but both of mine have been completed.
Anubis at 8:31AM, Nov. 11, 2013
(online)
Another thing you might want to do,  is to check to see if the nominees are still active,  I have noticed a few more of the ones in my favorites list have stopped updating since the uhh ordeal.    So giving out DD awards to  abandoned comics would be counter productive.
KimLuster at 12:15PM, Nov. 11, 2013
(online)
Well now that this back on (sort of), should we go ahead and send in Presentation pages we've done (even if the nominees might not be updating anymore)?
PBandJ at 9:27AM, Nov. 13, 2013
(online)
I definitely would prefer to see awards based on quality of story over popular votes.
Just my 2 cents.
bravo1102 at 4:48PM, Nov. 13, 2013
(online)
The reader's choice idea was really only as a last minute quick fix that could be thrown together in an afternoon just so there'd be an awards this year.

With the near ice cold  response I don't see it coming together.  It's time we where we usually start planning for 2014 not start 2013. Unless an announcement like this appeared tomorrow:

Okay every one report in now, and all judging to be done and presentaions in by the last Thursday of November.  First comic will run December 1. Period, no exceptions.  You don't do it, you will be publically shamed and have your Christmas taken away by an old mean miser and/or heartless green guy(all of it from tree to pudding to presents)

With a few exceptions noone around here works or could get it done like that.  So it's pie in the sky and it'll fall right in my face and ruin my new suit.
El Cid at 8:35PM, Nov. 13, 2013
(online)
I've never had pudding at Christmas. Ever.

I think for right now, we'll just have to wait and see how successful Niccea is at contacting people. I'd love to see the awards go through like normal, and I'm willing to take on additional judging duties to help make that happen, but that still doesn't solve the problem of getting all of the presentations in order. We probably could get everything judged in time, one way or another (when I was helping out with Roy Duncan's 2011 Comic Awards, it was just me and two other people, and we had all the categories done in two weeks). The problem is that I just can't see us getting all those presentations in order by before the holidays, especially given that it's already almost halfway into November and people are still wandering in who didn't realize the site was back online. Even if we could get it all judged, it would probably still need to be some kind of stripped down ceremony.
bravo1102 at 7:08AM, Nov. 14, 2013
(online)
El Cid wrote:
it would probably still need to be some kind of stripped down ceremony.
For one of the presentations this year I was doing “two stick figures scribbled on notebook paper”  It would be a great gag for a stripped down bare bones awards ceremony.  

Maybe skeletons presenting some awards (bare bones get it HA!)

Presenters on a bare stage with a single light bulb over their head reading from a scribbled script.

Lame walls of poorly lettered text in smeared magic marker.

And this years co-hosts two stick figures scribbled on notebook paper… and their special last minute guest the last straw… 
Niccea at 5:22PM, Nov. 14, 2013
(offline)
Trying to get a hold of JustNoPoint as he was in charge of getting judging done. Doing my reaching out now. What bravo said. I want everything in two weeks ago.
usedbooks at 6:39AM, Nov. 15, 2013
(online)
We already didn't have enough judges. I don't think it's a realistic proposal to get judging done.

Strangely, I actually have a LOT more time in winter, so I could actually make a page or two, but I'm just one person, and we have so few. We already had too few to make it work. -_-

Oh, and JNP just had a new son born IRL. So, he probably has other things on his mind.
Anubis at 6:47AM, Nov. 15, 2013
(online)
Sadly I cant help with this,   as I am about to go visit my wife and kids in the USA.  (I see them only over christmas)  so I will be too busy to help with judgeing.    I do feel that perhaps that we start planning for 2014 awards,  and write off this year.  This time of year is usualy very busy for many people so I doubt we would get many vollunteers,   and those we do get, would be also distracted by their other end of year commitments. 
However I am willing to judge for next years.. Not present  but definatly judge.
bravo1102 at 8:33AM, Nov. 15, 2013
(online)
Finish what is assigned, put together some finished presentations and put something up.  Make the best effort possible with what can be put together and then identify and work on filling in the holes.  If judges need to triple up and take on eighteen categories than do it just so long as it isn't me because I hate judging anything.  

I have judged dozens of categories in contests in very short times but that was model kits and I'm a lot more qualified to judge those than comics.  It's more objective as one compares skill and overall finish. 
KimLuster at 9:14AM, Nov. 15, 2013
(online)
Should presentations still be sent to JustNoPoints email?
Niccea at 4:35PM, Nov. 15, 2013
(offline)
Yeah. It is a shared mail box
irrevenant at 6:48PM, Nov. 15, 2013
(online)
How are judges selected, anyway?
El Cid at 8:11PM, Nov. 15, 2013
(online)
irrevenant wrote:
How are judges selected, anyway?

You volunteer, by emailing Niccea and then registering at Justnopoint's DD Awards forum.
El Cid at 8:20PM, Nov. 15, 2013
(online)
The judging could be done in a week, if we wanted it to be. We could switch from the current judging format to a “panel voting” format. Just set up polls at JNP's site and all of the registered judges come in and vote on the winners. It's less than ideal, but it's a compromise between the Reader's Choice thing, which nobody really wants, and trying to get every category individually deliberated, which may turn out to be a bridge too far at this point.

The presentations is still what I'm worried about. It's going to be difficult for me to get my measley one presentation done, given that I don't even have my “project” computer anymore and will have to track down and re-download/re-create all of my content before I can even think about creating new artwork. I'm sure a lot of people are going to have trouble coming up with something decent and putting it together in just a couple of weeks, so we may need to get ahead of that and come up with some kind of template for categories with no presentation.
bravo1102 at 2:30PM, Nov. 16, 2013
(online)
I put together a template for three of my five presentations so I could continue with it for more if necessary. Maybe with a theme along the lines of “thrown together at the last minute at great expense” schitck like the opening credits of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.   
bravo1102 at 2:34PM, Nov. 16, 2013
(online)
El Cid wrote:
The judging could be done in a week, … which may turn out to be a bridge too far at this point.
That gives me another idea for a couple more presentations.  The awards ceremony is surrounded by Nazi troops in a Dutch city… but the show must go on!  Live from Arnhem…
Niccea at 10:50AM, Nov. 18, 2013
(offline)
Believe it or not, there were already quite a few presentations submitted before the crash.
I do like the judge poll idea becAuse it will slim down time. I'm a lot busier this year than I have been previously and I don't think I'm up to full blown judge wrangling. It will take time to get all the polls set.
El Cid wrote:
The judging could be done in a week, if we wanted it to be. We could switch from the current judging format to a “panel voting” format. Just set up polls at JNP's site and all of the registered judges come in and vote on the winners. It's less than ideal, but it's a compromise between the Reader's Choice thing, which nobody really wants, and trying to get every category individually deliberated, which may turn out to be a bridge too far at this point.

The presentations is still what I'm worried about. It's going to be difficult for me to get my measley one presentation done, given that I don't even have my “project” computer anymore and will have to track down and re-download/re-create all of my content before I can even think about creating new artwork. I'm sure a lot of people are going to have trouble coming up with something decent and putting it together in just a couple of weeks, so we may need to get ahead of that and come up with some kind of template for categories with no presentation.
gullas at 11:56AM, Nov. 18, 2013
(online)
The categories I was judging have established results, so I can manage to judge an extra or two if needed.
irrevenant at 11:41PM, Nov. 18, 2013
(online)
What do judges actually do?  I'm getting the impression they have to draw presentations and stuff?
If I can be any help, I'm willing to?
Asbin at 6:20AM, Nov. 19, 2013
(online)
Aside from judging, are there any presentations pending? If so, I'm willing to help on that
Niccea at 4:40PM, Nov. 20, 2013
(offline)
They read the comics and pick the winners of each category. However, most volunteers double dip and are both judges and presenters. That is why you are getting that impression.

irrevenant wrote:What do judges actually do?  I'm getting the impression they have to draw presentations and stuff?If I can be any help, I'm willing to?
irrevenant at 5:50PM, Nov. 20, 2013
(online)
Is it a single judge per category or is there a panel of judges?
If you need someone to judge some categories, I'd be happy to help. :)  Just about anything but superhero would be fine - I'm too biased towards Heroes Alliance to be an impartial judge for that category. 
When do you need results by? 
Thanks. 
Niccea wrote:
They read the comics and pick the winners of each category. However, most volunteers double dip and are both judges and presenters. That is why you are getting that impression.

irrevenant wrote:
What do judges actually do?  I'm getting the impression they have to draw presentations and stuff?
If I can be any help, I'm willing to?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved