Voting ~ June 16 - 18
  Drunk Duck Awards Voting Opens ~ July 6 - 27
 Tie Breakers (as needed) ~ July 28 - August 2
  Finalists Announced/Volunteers Assigned ~ August 3 - August 9
  Judging ~ August 10 - August 30
  Emergency Wrap Up ~ August 31 - September 7

The Ceremony Begins ~ September 8 

Original Post:

Might as well start it up. Someone usually beats me to the punch.

From my prespective -

What Worked

Having a plot line for the FYC.
We have been thinking of other ideas. I think it really brought everything together and made this a more seamless comic. Thought it was fun to read though the fun ideas.

Having More Than One Host
This worked when it was availible. It meant someone was always working on it.

What Didn't Work

Site Blackout
Really couldn't control it. But, I wished we could have found something to help make sure things could still get done. Many judges didn't even bother showing up.

Life Issues
When both the people that ran this thing got caught up in real life. The awards faltured.
Honestly, this isn't the prettiest awards ever run, but I am impressed about what was accomplished.
last edited on June 6, 2014 6:26PM
irrevenant at 9:18PM, Jan. 5, 2014
(online)
One thing that's working well over at Heroes Alliance is use of a shared Dropbox folder to coordinate the artwork. 

You guys are presumably coordinating a much larger pool of artists than HA, so you may not want everyone to submit their art via Dropbox, but having a central folder shared amongst at least the coordinators and major contributors would let you keep an eye on how things are progressing and where the holes are.   General contributors could always send their work to a coordinator via email like now, and the coordinator could drop it into the shared folder. 

You could also use the folder for central coordination documents like an index of what  pages you're expecting, planned publication dates etc 

I agree that having an overarching story to the FYCs was great and would love to see that again next year. 

I would add to the cons column the apparent lack of communication system outside the Duck. I would suggest at least grabbing contact emails for judges and major contributors. Even when the Duck is up, PQs and forums require manual checking. Some of the judges who didn't show may not even know that the Duck is back up and the Awards still happening.
Niccea at 1:10PM, Jan. 6, 2014
(online)
It actually is a requireMent to submit an email address to be a judge and most presenters gave one too. I submitted newsletters through the forum to the Judges when we started up again. Also the central email worked good Since it was justnopoint and me (later just me) iSn't out.  We were half and half on posting the FYCs. If there was anyone else running the comic with me, Dropbox may be something to look into,  but it isn't needed now. 
HippieVan at 1:49PM, Jan. 9, 2014
(online)
I feel quite bad about suggesting this because El Cid is always very nice and I don't mean this to say anything bad about his comic, but I'm not sure that Adult comics should be eligible for all the categories.

DD is generally supposed to be an all-ages site, so I felt weird about having an adult comic winning things like “Best Plot Development.” It's not such a big deal to me now, but I've been using the site since I was 15 or so and it probably would have annoyed me back then to have so many categories won by comics that I couldn't even look at.

I also think comics with sex might have an unfair advantage in terms of gaining readership and therefore votes. :P

That being said I don't want to discourage creators of adult comics. Maybe there could be a few separate awards for them? E.g. Best art in an adult comic, best characters in an adult comic, etc. 
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
bravo1102 at 7:09PM, Jan. 9, 2014
(online)
When something is that good let it sweep.  No one complained the year(s) that other non-adult comics swept the awards virtually locking out every other comic from having a chance.  If a comic is that good that it sweeps let it sweep regardless of rating.

If there's the readership and they vote and then the judges agree its the best, let it win in open competition not slough it off like some unwanted minority to it's own seculded awards ceremony. Drunk Duck is not a 1940's country club or 1960's Fraternity house.  E and T comics only everyone else use the back entrance and don't let anyone see you leave.
El Cid at 7:47PM, Jan. 9, 2014
(online)
I'm not so keen on segregating the awards either. If my comic won for Best Protagonist In An Adult Comic, I'd consider it a second-class award (because that's exactly what it would be).

I think the only tenable options are to either completely eliminate the adult comics, or else let them participate fully and equally with all the other comics they share the site with.

It is an issue that the Adult comics are Off Limits to the Under 18 crowd, but then the Rated M comics aren't really intended for younger readers either. And the difference between M and A is blurrier than you might think. Many M-rated comics do have sex, even very graphic sex, in them, despite the TOS specifications against this. Simply Sarah is probably the highest profile offender in that regard, and that comic's been a favorite among the judges in past awards shows. So I think a lot of the objections about certain A-rated comics showing up in the awards is more a matter of personal tastes and prejudices than a legitimate content concern.

This leads to some sticky issues when it comes to enforcing a content blackout. If you exclude the A-rated comics, you give a pass to the comics that rate themselves as M even though they're supposed to be rated A. So the only fair and consistent way to administer the blackout would be to ban all comics with sexual content from participating… which is now obviously suffocating a broad spectrum of artistic expression. Many comics no one would think of as being ‘Adult’ would technically be on the wrong side of that decision; comics like Keeping Up With Thursday, for example.

There's only a limited number of Adult comics here with enough cross-genre appeal to really have an impact on the mainstream categories, and frankly I believe they deserve the recognition. I can understand trying to fix things that are dysfunctional about the awards show, but that does not include reader preferences. I'm not a fan of schemes which aim to “fix” the way things turn out because the readers didn't vote for the kinds of comics we wanted them to. In those cases, it's ususally not the readers who need the fixing.
irrevenant at 7:50PM, Jan. 9, 2014
(online)
I agree that Adult comics have as much right to be nominated as any other. If the comic with the best plot development is an adult comic then it deserves the award. 

Another suggestion: When I submitted my presentation to the email address, there was no indication whether or not it had even been received.  Being a bit techy-minded I think we-based issue tracking software would be great to help manage things. But at the very least, a confirmation that “thanks, we've received this” would eliminate the need for me to PQ people and enquire on the forums to ensure everything's good to go. 

Niccea et. al. do a ton of work to keep on top of everything, and the more that the administration can be streamlined and automated, the better. 
Niccea at 4:47AM, Jan. 10, 2014
(online)
Irrelevant: I don't engage in short and in my opinion flippant emails. I'm sorry that you felt like that was an issue, however, it is slimply my nature to not send, “thank you,” emails. (You should see my emails I send for work.) “Your calls are attached ~ Clara” That being said, I will try to remember your opinion on it next year. I will say that I make no promises because it is out of line with my nature.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the first to bring up the adult issue and most of my points have been addressed, if the issue remains standing, I can bring in the logistical reasons too.
But the main issue is. Though I am a forum mod and I was a forum mod when I started doing this, the awards are user run, not site run. Any changes are made by the majority.
last edited on Jan. 10, 2014 4:49AM
bravo1102 at 8:10AM, Jan. 10, 2014
(online)
According to current business practice it is customary to send a reply only when there's an attachment.  Regular emails do not need replies or acknowledgment and in fact it's a waste of time to do so.  But when a large attachment is sent it is nice to get an acknowledgment that it was recieved intact.  

That being said the people running the awards are doing it in their spare time and don't have a dedicated administrative assistant to take care of all the acknowledgements.  Often the emails aren't checked until a month or so later once prior necessities are taken care of (like voting tallys and assigning judges and then getting them to do their job)  An automated system might be counter productive because sure the email was received but the attached presentation was missing.  The means another email has to be sent.

Maybe further delegation of duties with someone just to accumulate the presentions and FYC.  Wasn't that how it was supposed to be this year but someone had a life issue  that took up all their time?  Could have found a back-up so Niccea didn't end up with everything again.  She was overworked last year and then with the cluster f**k of the site shut-down had her hands full again… She did the best she could under the circumstances and more.  

I treat email like radio traffic which I have much more expereince with.  Acknowledge the receipt only if there's action you need to take or a message you have to acknowledge you got.  Anything else no reply means everything is okay.  It is implied I'll tell you if something is wrong.
HippieVan at 10:26AM, Jan. 10, 2014
(online)
@El Cid:

I definitely see what you're saying about the “second-class award” thing and that wasn't my intention at all. I just want to make sure everyone can participate and get the most out of the awards. Maybe we could split a few of the major awards into Everyone/Teen and Mature/Adult categories? That would eliminate the problem of people with comics that should probably be rated A downgrading to M, and neither category would be the superior prize.
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
bravo1102 at 11:03AM, Jan. 10, 2014
(online)
I would almost support splitting all the categories into NSFW and SFW comics.  Considering how hard it is to get presentations and judges now the extra work would not be worth the end result.  Catering the awards for a teen demographic that may not exist might also not be in the best interest of the awards.

Besides it's not that hard for a saavy teen to juce put in a fake birthdate to see those adult comics.  But whether he can view them as school or an adult view that comic at work is another consideration for the NSFW/SFW category distinction.  Then one could have a best overall category and before you know it the categories have expanded three-fold.  

Last two years we've tried to get rid of extra awards that there were too few nominations for and seemingly less concern about.  Now it is proposed we expand the existing categories by 50% to allow site access to a younger demographic that may not exist and if it does can easily get around the site's filters anyway.  Might not be where we want to go right now.  I had thought we were trying to make this easier?

I say concentrate on the problems revealed by the experience of this year's awards and not create any other problems.
El Cid at 11:05AM, Jan. 10, 2014
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
@El Cid:

…Maybe we could split a few of the major awards into Everyone/Teen and Mature/Adult categories? That would eliminate the problem of people with comics that should probably be rated A downgrading to M, and neither category would be the superior prize.

We already have a Best All-Ages category, so probably the best way to implement what you're suggesting would be to scrap that and replace it with a Best All-Ages Adventure, Best All-Ages Plot Development, etc. I'll admit that from my perspective this seems an unnecessarily redundant expansion of the categories, but it's not an entirely crazy idea either.
El Cid at 11:09AM, Jan. 10, 2014
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
…Last two years we've tried to get rid of extra awards that there were too few nominations for and seemingly less concern about…

That's really my biggest concern. I honestly don't think it's an unreasonable suggestion, but given the vote mechanics and all, I worry that splitting the categories will be spreading things too thin. We'll end up with categories that only have a couple of nominations, and all of that mess we've been trying to eliminate from the process.
HippieVan at 11:34AM, Jan. 10, 2014
(online)
I can see how that would be a problem…I definitely wouldn't suggest splitting ALL the categories like this. Although how we'd choose which ones to split, I don't know. Maybe just the awards that typically get the most nominations?

I guess we can also wait and see how busy the site is around awards time this coming year, how many people are willing to help out, etc.
El Cid at 12:31PM, Jan. 10, 2014
(online)
Yeah, definitely not all of them! But it's not a bad idea at all. When you think about it, Best All Ages is too generic, and the categories we'd end up splitting (Best Plot, Best Adventure, etc.) didn't have too many All-Ages nominees to begin with, so it probably wouldn't affect them much directly. The main issue with me is just that we're not likely to get many nominees, and probably a lot of halfhearted ones at that. But then, that's just a guess; the only way to know for sure is give it a try!

What I'm much more concerned with is what Niccea was talking about, the difficulty finding judges to read Adult comics. I don't really know of a good solution to that problem. I've tried in the past to post a Non-Adult version of my comic, but from what I heard from people who judged that year, some judges still refused to look at it. I tried this year posting a list of Pages To Avoid, but I doubt that did much good either.

It took me a while to figure out what the real problem was and the answers I've come to aren't very pleasant. It's not a matter of people being too prudish to read something (that can be accommodated). It's not a matter of Adult comics having an unfair advantage (all popular comics have an unfair advantage, but we've already found ways to mitigate that). For all the fake arguments we can come up with, I think at the end of the day there are some people who Just Don't Like You, and just don't like or respect what you do, and no matter how much you try to cater to them they won't be happy until you're completely out of the picture.

Options? We can do nothing, wait and see if there aren't less Adult comics creeping into the mainstream categories, in which case the problem solves itself.

OR

Dump the Adult comics altogether. Not a great option, but worth considering. Just be up front and conciliatory about it: “We have nothing against Adult artists, and they do a lot for the Duck community, but because we can't find judges willing to evaluate them, they will not be elligible this year for a Duck Award.” A lot of people won't like it (myself among them), and I can't guarantee there won't be backlash, but if the only alternative is chronic judging shortages, then it at least is worth considering.

OR

Keep the Adult comics, but tell the judges they can choose to officially Abstain from judging them and just judge the others. It's a workable compromise. If you have three judges, one Abstains, but the other two choose the Adult comic, then it wins. If someone Abstains, and the judges have to go another direction, then that's also fine. Just be sure to include a footnote in the award announcement that “One or more judges chose to Abstain from judging Bust Solar in this category.” That way, at least the Adult comic gets the honor of a Runner Up award, and can console themselves in knowinig they didn't lose because their comic was unworthy by merit.

Yeah, no good options I can see, but I could see any of those at least working.
last edited on Jan. 10, 2014 12:34PM
bravo1102 at 3:34PM, Jan. 10, 2014
(online)
El Cid wrote:
I think at the end of the day there are some people who Just Don't Like You, and just don't like or respect what you do, and no matter how much you try to cater to them they won't be happy until you're completely out of the picture.
 Speaking for myself I have tried numerous times to take myself out of the picture but like the proverbial bad penny I keep showing up again.  I also know from my years of therapy that this is a truism in dealing with other humans.  In every community there will be those who can't or won't tolerate you.   But speaking for myself I accept that I cannot change them but I can tolerate them.  They're wrong headed people who need some serious life intervention but that ain't up to me. 

Options? We can do nothing, wait and see if there aren't less Adult comics creeping into the mainstream categories, in which case the problem solves itself.

Is that a solution or just wishful thinking?  You're just kicking it down the road.

Dump the Adult comics altogether.

That is a cop-out and smacks of avoidance.  We'll deal with it by just making them go away.

Keep the Adult comics, but tell the judges they can choose to officially Abstain from judging them and just judge the others. It's a workable compromise. 

If that's the best we can do that's the best we can do.  It actually might work for extending the existing judging pool.  If you allow judging abstentions you could concievably allow judges to judge a category they are nominated in.  They have to absolve themselves from judging their own work but can judge the other nominees. Just a thought to stretch an already scarce resource.
Niccea at 3:48PM, Jan. 10, 2014
(online)
I could go for option 3. I tried to do something similar. Last year, when I was totally in charge of everything, I color coded the categories on my spread sheet. Green for all comics being SFW, Yellow for one NSFW comic, and Red for categories that were a majority NSFW.

There are some people that when they judged stated that they could handle one adult comic, but not a whole category comprised of them. (They got yellow). Green went to the people that said they could do absolutely no NSFW comics (or people I knew for a fact were underaged from their profiles). And Red went to those that didn't mind NSFW content or didn't otherwise give me an opinion and all the Green and Yellows were taking.

I think this could work hand and hand with an abstaining rule if a judge feels that they are in to deep after at the time of judging.
last edited on Jan. 10, 2014 3:50PM
irrevenant at 6:41PM, Jan. 10, 2014
(online)

Niccea
wrote:
Irrelevant: I don't engage in short and in my opinion flippant emails. I'm sorry that you felt like that was an issue, however, it is slimply my nature to not send, “thank you,” emails.

I wasn't after thanks. It just wasn't clear whether you guys had actually received my contribution or not. I wasn't expecting a manual reply though - if it's not possible to set up an automated reply, don't worry about it.

I'm strongly against the idea of either separate awards for adult comics or dumping them from the awards altogether. If the goal is for everyone to be able to participate in and get the most out of the awards, segregating some of your best comics and creators is a massive fail. Plus a number of adult comics deservedly win those awards and your field would be far poorer for excluding them.

I don't see a problem with allowing comics to be nominated regardless of age rating. “A Game of Thrones” is adults only, but that didn't stop it being nominated for and winning a number of Emmys and Golden Globes. (Nor do the Emmys and Golden Globes have separate “Adult” categories, AFAIK).

Maybe I don't understand Option 3, but it seems like it's stating the obvious: Of *course* judges should always have the ability to opt out of comics they don't want to judge - how could you stop them, anyway? I do find it weird, though, that we can't find enough judges willing to read the single most popular category of comics on The Duck. :/. (In case you hadn't guessed, *I* am perfectly happy to put myself forward as a judge for any category and have no issue with adult comics :) ).

I do suspect there may be some capacity for looking at how nominees are selected. Open nominees are good, but I'm unclear how they're then narrowed down. Is it by popular vote? Particularly for the more technical awards like “Best Layout” that approach seems stacked in favour of comics people are already familiar with. Perhaps both judges and comic owners could put in their own nominations and it then be narrowed down by suitability somehow?

P.S. My handle is “Irrevenant”. Weird word, I know.
El Cid at 9:48PM, Jan. 10, 2014
(online)
Option 3 is supposed to fix the logistics problems we've had with getting categories judged lately. In recent years, Adult-rated comics have been getting a lot more nominations in more “general interest” categories than they have in the past. Since a lot of the judges list in their judging preferences that they prefer not to judge Adult comics, this makes it difficult to find enough people willing and able to judge many of the categories and it leads to all sorts of behind-the-scenes headaches. Ultimately, it's unfair to Niccea and the handful of people who have to work overtime to get these categories somehow judged, and it's also unfair to the comics in these categories (Adult and otherwise) because it's impossible to get fairly deliberated under those circumstances.

What Option 3 suggests is that, once everything else is assigned, go ahead and assign people to the categories with Adult nominees and if they don't want to judge the Adult comics, they can declare that they Abstain and just go ahead and judge the rest of the comics in that category. This way, at least all of the categories get judged on time. It's not fair to let the Adult comics hold up the process for everybody else.

The “Official Abstain” option is very important. First off, it's important for the judges' peace of mind. Every year, potential volunteers dread the awards show because they feel obligated to help but just know that they're likely going to be asked to judge something they find objectionable. They're either going to have to tough it out, or at least pretend like they read it, and it's just not something they're looking forward to. I think it should be made explicitly clear that no one will ever be put in that situation. It's perfectly okay to Abstain and judge the rest of the nominees in your category.

It's also important for transparency reasons. If comics are not being considered fully in the judging process, it does need to be publicly acknowledged. I don't think it's right to have judges not consider a comic, then go out there and announce a winner as if everybody got a fair shake. The readers and the artists should know that Comic X didn't miss out on the award by merit, but that instead we weren't able to fully evaluate it for logistical reasons. In the past (hypothetically, of course), if judges didn't do their jobs, no one would ever know about it, and I don't think that would be an ethical practice.
irrevenant at 3:40AM, Jan. 12, 2014
(online)
Ah, I see, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. 
I agree it's unfair on Niccea et. al. to have to frantically scrape together willing judges at the last minute.

I wonder if there's a way to improve the number of judges up front, especially more “adult comic friendly” ones.  Given that we're talking about some of the most popular comics on the Duck, does anyone know why that's not translating into numbers of willing judges? 

I'm certainly happy to judge as many as would be helpful (though I'll need a little lead time for categories I don't currently read). My email provider is Gmail.com and you know my handle, so I'll let you do the math on that. :)  What qualifications are required? 
Niccea at 8:16AM, Jan. 12, 2014
(online)
That is an easy answer. It is called social loafing. In a group of people you assume that someone else is doing all the work, so you slack off. However, if everyone slacks off because they think everyone else is doing the work, nothing gets done. (Also the active particpants that actually will read adult comics are the nominee authors themselves.)

And to judge, all you need is an account on the judge form and to show that you put effort into your decision. Those that just say “Harkovast should win!” and offer no other explaination, find themselves black listed.
last edited on Jan. 12, 2014 8:36AM
irrevenant at 6:16PM, Jan. 13, 2014
(online)
LoL, I can definitely do far more comprehensive reviews than that one. xD

I'm not actually disagreeing with your comments, BTW, just wanting to tackle this problem from both ends. 

I'm wondering if it would be worth looking through the recent archives of the more popular adult comics, collating a list of frequent commenters and, when the next awards approach, contacting them to see if they'd be interested in being judges.  The quality of the comments could even be a factor in choosing which commenters to contact. (The option to become a judge would still be open to everyone.  Identified candidates would just be personally invited to do so). 

The idea is to drum up more judges willing to judge adult comics, but if you feel this would skew the voting pool in favour of adult comics, a like number of invitations can be sent to commenters on non-adult comics too.

I'd be happy to do the work of going through the archives and collating the contact list. And, if you like, sending out the PQs when the time comes. 

The stumbling block is, of course, the PQ system. I'm hoping that, by the time of the next DD Awards, the site will have actual notifications of new PQs. If not, it'll undoubtedly be less successful, but will hopefully still result in a number of extra judges. 
Niccea wrote:
That is an easy answer. It is called social loafing. In a group of people you assume that someone else is doing all the work, so you slack off. However, if everyone slacks off because they think everyone else is doing the work, nothing gets done. (Also the active particpants that actually will read adult comics are the nominee authors themselves.)

And to judge, all you need is an account on the judge form and to show that you put effort into your decision. Those that just say “Harkovast should win!” and offer no other explaination, find themselves black listed.
El Cid at 9:35PM, Jan. 13, 2014
(online)
The main thing I'd be worried about is that if a bunch of judges get rounded up from a given comic (or given class of comics), then it's almost impossible for that not to influence the outcome of the judging in favor of those comics. And regardless of whether or not it actually did have an impact, people would assume it had and there would be plenty of grumbling about how the judging was “stacked” in favor of this or that comic or this or that type of comic. I think if artists want to petition their readers to volunteer to judge, that's fine and should maybe even be encouraged, but the awards staff should stay out of it.
irrevenant at 3:43AM, Jan. 15, 2014
(online)
Okay then, identify either all recent commenters or just the most prolific ones (hopefully that info can be extracted from the database fairly easily).  Do a quick manual QA to at least exclude trolls and maybe less detailed comments. 

Then send a PQ to the effect of “Hi! We noticed some great comments you made lately about comics on the Duck. We're looking for people to review and judge some comics for the upcoming Drunk Duck Awards and wondered if you might be interested in helping out”. 

Note that we're not necessarily after a perfection, just an improvement over what we have now - which is a too-small pool of judges. 
I'm sure there's other ways to drum up more judges, too. I remember seeing a number of communications about the upcoming Drunk Duck awards but “You too can be a judge” isn't a message that leapt out at me - I discovered that later on the forum. So there is probably room to emphasise that point more strongly in blog posts etc. 
kawaiidaigakusei at 4:24AM, Jan. 16, 2014
(online)
irrevenant wrote:
I don't see a problem with allowing comics to be nominated regardless of age rating. “A Game of Thrones” is adults only, but that didn't stop it being nominated for and winning a number of Emmys and Golden Globes. (Nor do the Emmys and Golden Globes have separate “Adult” categories, AFAIK).

I just wanted to mention that the AVN Awards Show does take place separately from the Academy Awards. It is the major Adult Awards Show in the USA that allows adult film stars to get recognition for their “acting” and best scenes. It is actually a funny awards show because the host is just as crude and funny as the stars. Anyway, if there were an Adult Awards Show on this site, the rating could be adult, to allow for more raunchy outfits, mature language, and will filter out the minors from accessing the comic.

Given the prevalence of Adult Comics on the Duck's top 20, I am sure you can find a collective of voters from the comments section of the adult comics. They already read them, and they put enough effort to comment. However, I would also mention that some members create an account with the sole intention to read adult comics, so anonymity is a priority and they might not be as easy to contact. The voting system would have to be a lot more discrete like a simple tool like SurveyMonkey and you would need to beware of bots/spam/or inflated voting.

The recognition of awards is as important to adult comic creators as all-audience creators. Maybe, if there was an Adult Show, it would just need the AdultDuck stamp of approval on the awards show to make it more legitimate.
El Cid at 6:02AM, Jan. 16, 2014
(online)
Re: Adult Awards

Basically, see previous posts about “second class awards.” Having an Adult awards show would just be taking that bad idea and magnifying everything bad about it. You're basically telling the Adult comics they can't sit at the cool kids' table, so they can have their little Separate But Equal awards show. Because winning a Best Adult Comic Award alongside the winner for Best Boobs and Sloppiest Sex Scene is just as prestigious as winning Best Completed Comic at the primary Drunk Duck Awards. Really.

I don't think we need a new pervy award show, and I think the suggestion of having one misses some very important points. Mainly, it misses that the Adult comics have merit on all the same lines as every other rating group (story, characters, art, etc.), and can and should be judged that way. When an Adult comic like Busty Solar is judged funnier than the M or T rated comics alongside it, Busty deserves recognition for that, not to be swept under the rug into some second-class underground ceremony. There's plenty of crossover between artists and readers with the Adult and other rated comics, so there's no reason they shouldn't be able to share the awards ceremony.
El Cid at 6:05AM, Jan. 16, 2014
(online)
I'm pretty sure I've brought this up before, but one thing that should definitely be worked on is getting more people to do bonus comics for the awards. I know there's still time for submissions, but from the looks of things, we haven't received nearly enough bonus stuff this year!

Btw I'm working on a bonus Behind The Scenes type thing right now. Hopefully I can get it submitted by tomorrow!
irrevenant at 4:03AM, Jan. 17, 2014
(online)
Really?  What sort of thing is needed?  Maybe I could contribute something, depending on timeframes (I don't draw very fast. :/).

P.S. Kawaii Daigaikusai, that's an interesting point about the AVN, I didn't realise that.  But it's not really analogous because we're talking about adult comics that are legitimate contenders for categories like best comic layout, best 3D comic etc.  There *are* adult comics on DD that are just porn, but they're not the ones that are being nominated for these awards.
El Cid wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've brought this up before, but one thing that should definitely be worked on is getting more people to do bonus comics for the awards. I know there's still time for submissions, but from the looks of things, we haven't received nearly enough bonus stuff this year!

Btw I'm working on a bonus Behind The Scenes type thing right now. Hopefully I can get it submitted by tomorrow!
El Cid at 6:50AM, Jan. 17, 2014
(online)
The Extras are basically just silly sketches we throw in along with the rest of the awards show to keep things fun. It can be anything, really: Fan art, a short comic strip, a little mini story, a concession speech, fake advertisements, conspiracy theories, gossip, you name it. As long as it's not something mean about other DD people. I've always felt like the extras and behind-the-scenes are the best part of the awards, but we never seem to get very many submissions (I guess because the people most likely to do them are already busy judging and doing presentations).

If you can come up with anything, just go ahead and send it in to Niccea before the deadline (Jan 24th, I believe).
Niccea at 10:32AM, Jan. 19, 2014
(online)
I have only gotten one extra in since last Friday. Let's end this with a Bang! (like Death P*rn)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved