Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Drawing wooden floors?
irrevenant at 6:37PM, Jan. 2, 2014
(online)
I have to draw a wooden floor in my comic (a gym floor, specifically).  Looking at photos, wooden surfaces seem *really* complicated with massive colour variation and patterns in the wood. 
Can anyone give me one tips on drawing and colouring wooden surfaces? Google's let me down on this one.
Thanks. 
Abt_Nihil at 5:41AM, Jan. 3, 2014
(offline)
I didn't find a good visual example, but generally, I'd say:
Give the wood panels clear, regular outlines.
Within the panels, draw irregular, wavy or circular, more or less parallel, brittle lines which are thinner than the panel outlines - this should make them seem “organic”.
These two things alone should be enough to have the wood be recognizable as wood.
kawaiidaigakusei at 5:00PM, Jan. 3, 2014
(online)
Hey irrevenant,
Drawing wooden panels is more of an interior drawing sort of skill and there are probably a lot of rendering tips available online on interior design blogs. What I learned is that the wooden panels need to stay in perspective. Gym floor panels will generally be less detailed than a residential hardwood floor.

I drew a mock up of how I would draw wooden floorboards in one point perspective. The trick is to use several layers of shading and highlights to give it a realistic look. I have seen realy convincing mock ups of hand drawn wood from a bird's eye perspective.

Hope this helps!
last edited on Jan. 4, 2014 6:02PM
HippieVan at 5:59PM, Jan. 3, 2014
(online)
It really depends on how detailed you want to be. If it were me, I would probably do it the same way I usually do brick walls. Which is to say, rather than drawing every single brick (or every single line in this case) you just draw the occasional one to suggest the pattern. Unless the floor is the focus of the reader's attention, it might actually be distracting to make it super detailed with all the wood grain and everything draw in(depending on how realistic your comic typically is).

Edit: something like this.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on Jan. 3, 2014 6:00PM
irrevenant at 5:18AM, Jan. 4, 2014
(online)
Wow, thank you so much for all the help, everybody. o_O

Kawaii, your floor looks gorgeous. Probably a bit high detail for what I'm after, unfortunately.

I ended up going with light ‘planking’ (gym floors aren't really planks, but they look almost like it due to patterns in the wood) and some light and dark blotches plus motion blur. It came out better on the floor than on the wall, IMO.

EDIT: Open the image in a new tab to see it properly - looks like DD crunches it to fit it in the forum.

last edited on Jan. 4, 2014 6:08PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved