Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

The best update schedue...
Flinto at 11:40AM, March 21, 2014
(online)
Lets for a while imagine that you have all the resources in the world, and you could update whenever you want, what would be the ideal upadte schedule daily? three times a week? one time a week? and on which days is better to update mondays? Friday? both as a comic creator and as a reader,Because sometimes as a reader I am unable to check comics everyday so I visit every week. What are your habits both for reading or updating.
HippieVan at 8:46PM, March 22, 2014
(online)
Flinto wrote:
Lets for a while imagine that you have all the resources in the world, and you could update whenever you want, what would be the ideal upadte schedule daily? three times a week? one time a week? and on which days is better to update mondays? Friday? both as a comic creator and as a reader,Because sometimes as a reader I am unable to check comics everyday so I visit every week. What are your habits both for reading or updating.

Back when I had a comic I tried to maintain either a Mon+Wed+Fri or Mon+Fri schedule, although I was rarely successful at this. Somehow that just seems the neatest way to do it, although I seem to remember one comic creator saying traffic was actually lower on Fridays (not sure about that, though).

As for myself, I'm a binge reader so other people's update schedules don't matter much to me. Typically I'll set a bookmark and then when I have some free time every few weeks I try to catch up on all my comics. I enjoy it more when there are multiple new pages for me to read every time I check back. :)
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
El Cid at 3:54PM, March 23, 2014
(online)
As a reader, I try to visit this site at least daily to see if anything's updated, so it doesn't make much difference for me personally. As an author, when I was doing comics, things seemed to slow down a little bit over the weekends (less comments, and back when we had stats I noticed less visitors as well). Personally, I think Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are probably the best “high traffic” days, but I could be wrong on that. So I'd probably be doing a Monday-Thurday or Tuesday-Thursday schedule.

Ultimately though, I don't think it matters all that much; if you're consistent, people will know when you're going to update, and if you plan on posting on an unusual or low-traffic day you should just notify your readers beforehand.
El Cid at 3:56PM, March 23, 2014
(online)
Oh, and I forgot to add that how frequently you shoulkd update will depend on what kind of comic you're doing. If it's a “gag-a-day” type of thing, then daily updates are fine. But if it's a story comic, where each page has a lot to digest and readers can get lost if they fall behind, you really want to keep it to just two or mayber three updates per week in my opinion.
micacomics at 8:51PM, June 27, 2014
(online)
I would give myself once a week, maybe on a Saturday, to post an update. 
Although I'm a little more impatient if I'm reading a comic. I'd like really frequent updates! Like three times a week!
bejjinks at 10:02PM, July 15, 2014
(online)
I'm a lot like HippieVan in that I really don't care how often the writer updates as long as there's several pages to read. I typically start reading and read about twenty to fifty pages in ONE DAY. So if a comic updates everyday but only has gotten to page seven, I'm probably not going to bother. On the other hand, a comic that has been on hiatus for years and then suddenly publishes fifty new pages, woohoo, I'm happy.

As a writer, I plan to write that way. I'm probably not going to set an update schedule but instead, I'll complete an entire chapter or story arc and then put the whole thing up. It means readers may have to wait a long time for an update but when they get an update, they can count on not being left hanging in the middle of a chapter or story arc.
pthulin at 9:52PM, July 18, 2014
(online)
If I were superhuman, I would like to be able to do a whole chapter every week or two. It would keep the story moving quickly, and make sure there was lots of material for new people and binge-readers. As it stands though, it takes me around 4 hours to ink a single page (and inumerable hours for writing, penciling, and colouring - ink is just my least favourite step), and my chapters are 20+ pages. So even if you were paying me for this, I don't know if I could manage more than my current 5 pages a week (and that's only because I'm off school for the summer). :S
As a reader, I prefer super frequent updates (at least 3 pages a week), or massive updates like once a month. There's one comic that I've been reading for around 7 years, so I'll read the whole thing, accidentally forget about it for 2 years, then catch up and forget about it again.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved