Networking & Community Projects*

I Would like to Propose the Idea of a Tournament.
Kou the Mad at 6:11PM, Sept. 25, 2014
(online)
and thus we have our first Combatant.

Since we have only 1 character thus far, i have a Character i'll throw in as well.
Name: William Tell (real name William Johnson)
Description: An African American Male, 60 Years Old. Was a Sniper in the Military (where his nickname, William Tell, came from.) Discovered he was a Psychic with Telekinesis around when he turned 50, which he combines with his Sharp Eyes and Mind to Snipe Enemies with, has Hand to Hand Combat Training (was in the Army after all.), Has Graying Hair. Wears a Fancy Suit.

So we got 2 now, We Still need quite a few Characters. 16 seems to be a good number, As that wouldn't leave an odd number after each round. Then again, 16 seems large, perhaps 8.
last edited on Sept. 26, 2014 9:40AM
Niccea at 11:43AM, Sept. 27, 2014
(offline)
Go for a multiple of 8. What I do when I try to get participants for the awards, I make a minimum I would like, the ideal amount, and then the maximum capacity amount (when participation becomes a burden. )
Kou the Mad at 7:39PM, Sept. 27, 2014
(online)
i'll agree with that, we shall go for at least 8, but if for some reason we get more than that, we'll try 16.
Alright since we already got this much so far, Would one of the Artists like to make a Cover Page for this?

Still need other characters.
last edited on Oct. 9, 2014 12:22AM
MaxAxil at 5:20AM, Oct. 9, 2014
(online)
Is the tournament still up? I just introduced a new character for the sole purpose of joining XD
Also a good plot mover. Maybe
So its a good win-win! XD
How many characters are allowed to join each comic?
I have Thundaga in my backpocket just itching to be used. Give me a reason and you'll be kissing electricity for 30 minutes
Kou the Mad at 9:52PM, Oct. 9, 2014
(online)
yeah it's still up, and we still need at least 6 more characters so go ahead.
as for how many from Each comic, i think 1 per comic.
Professor Etheric at 8:54AM, Oct. 14, 2014
(online)
Is this thing to the death, or just to KO? That really kinda makes the difference on what sort of character I might enter into it (i.e. a throwaway for ‘to the death’}.
Or, even more entertaining, to the pain…
I would definitely like to join in on this, but like I said, I need to know the penalty for losing.
Kou the Mad at 3:34PM, Oct. 14, 2014
(online)
i doubt anyone wants to see their characters dead, so we will just go with KO.
Professor Etheric at 10:41AM, Oct. 15, 2014
(online)
Cool. Sign me up with Evangeline, from my comic Autumn Bay. She is seen starting here(or here, if you actually want to see it on The Duck - this is my mirror site).
A little more information: though we don't see it, her patchwork suit is infused with a shadowy demonic essence that provides her with protection (both physical and alerting her to things she doesn't notice) and enhances her natural srength and speed. Also, the suit can be sumoned when she doesn't have it on.
Evangeline grew up in an alternate future where eldritch monstrosities have effectively taaken over. The war and the resistance are all she's known. She is especially deadly agaist things from beyond time and space (think Lovecraft). She mainly fights hand to hand, but will use weapons if she needs to (especially impromptu weapons).
Oh, and she's sixteen years old.
last edited on Oct. 15, 2014 10:53AM
MaxAxil at 10:58AM, Oct. 15, 2014
(online)
Well, I'm entering now too.
This is Kyoko Tachibana from my Comic, My Parents are Nobodies. Her first(And so far ONLY) appearance is in THIS comic
I'll post up art(As in DRAWN art) for her soon at the MPAN character guide.
A little about her:
She's blonde
She has multiple hidden weapons(Max lent her his Stun Gun and was issued Multiple cans of Tear Gas hidden within her. A few dosage of Lethal Injection More to come) but her true strength lie in her knifework.
She managed to make Psychs(From TWEWY) to work in the real world and is adept at using Psychokinesis and Shockwave. Has training from Max and is able to use most of the basic Final Fantasy and SMT magic greatly, but has the highest affinity with Ice magic.
Beyond her cloak, she wears her own custom made outfit that allows her to fight comfortably.
I have Thundaga in my backpocket just itching to be used. Give me a reason and you'll be kissing electricity for 30 minutes
last edited on Oct. 15, 2014 12:03PM
Kou the Mad at 2:43PM, Oct. 15, 2014
(online)
Half of the characteres needed right there.

Current Fighters: Danny ‘The Ice Pick’ Light, William Tell the Psychic Sniper, Evangeline, and Kyoko Tachibana.
last edited on Oct. 16, 2014 8:33AM
MaxAxil at 8:44AM, Oct. 16, 2014
(online)
I have put up Kyoko Tachibana's official art so no one will base her appearance on a cloaked sprite.
Here she is.
Kou the Mad at 3:05PM, Oct. 21, 2014
(online)
….i think i need to advertise this a bit more.
i suppose if we REALLY need to get more Characters if we don't get enough, we could go to public domain web comic characters (Like Linkara's Light Bringer).
last edited on Oct. 21, 2014 9:12PM
SnowTheHedgehog at 1:53AM, Oct. 22, 2014
(online)
*silently watching the brainstorming*

… Tempted to join, really. Though I'd need some more information as well.
1st of all: The prize? Is it set yet (it seemed hung up on either “the ultimate prize” or “the winner's heart's desire”)? The answer is pretty much the lone condition on me joining or not. Because I'd only have one character to enter.
2nd: Penalties. Since it's already been established that killing the opponent is a no-no, let's set it in stone. Will it result in disqualification only (I suppose that'd be the minimum penalty… Althoughthe tournament could just as well be treated as non-canon. That way it wouldn't have any lasting consequences if a character be crippled or killed and participants can decide whether or not to treat it as canon in their respective comics. As a quick idea. Then again, I suppose you'll want to keep the rating to E or T.)
3rd: The execution. I would volunteer to do some line art; I'm gonna say it right off the bat, outside the Sonic style I'm somewhat of a novice. I can draw some humans (though males give me quite a lot more problems than females), but as for other styles I could only do so much as try. Furthermore, I suck at backgrounds, and don't have any “photoshop” skills so colouring would also fall flat from my side.
4th: Character abilities. Now, I don't wanna give too much information right away as I am still a ways from introducing my character in The Darkest Hour. Let's just say that, what with the line up of participants thus far, there would be some non-canon… “power-adaption” to do on my part. To clear that up right away; is that allowed? I mean, I can see the issue of such an option. Powering all the participants up can go out of hand quick.
5th: The “real” prize. I propose for a prize for the authors of the characters who make first 3 places in the manner of the DD Awards. A trophy or maybe a nice fancy banner and some advertisement in the Quack Cast would make that whole tournament very attractive, I think.
6th: Finding the winner of a battle. I like the idea of readers voting the winners. Granted, it'd take about as much advertising the tournament as the Awards to get a satisfactory number of readers and voters. But I'd say give specific conditions. Like, make several things to vote on for both combatants. As in how they perform, guessing strength and speed from the visual evidence of the fight, and so on, and combine that into an ultimate rating. For those who are concerned that that approach would make too much paperwork; I'd volunteer to take it, should we decide on it. But this kkind of voting would come with a condition of releasing a couple pages of a fight before votes will be accepted, to let the readers some time to get into it and keep it at equal chance.
Optimism is like eating healthy. If you don't know any pro recipes, you're going to have a terrible time trying to pull through with it.
last edited on Oct. 22, 2014 2:04AM
Professor Etheric at 8:05AM, Oct. 22, 2014
(online)
Kou the Mad wrote:
….i think i need to advertise this a bit more.
i suppose if we REALLY need to get more Characters if we don't get enough, we could go to public domain web comic characters (Like Linkara's Light Bringer).
…or Jenny Everywhere.
Kou the Mad at 5:25PM, Oct. 22, 2014
(online)
Let's go with a previous poster's idea of the prize beingh ‘Heart’s Desire', but i'd like to play with that idea based on who wins.
Losers will obviously be Disqualified, probably injured as a result of the fights though i'd like them to stick around by investigating the Tournament behind the scenes as well as the Mysterious Individual who is running the tournament.
Call Me Tom at 8:42AM, Oct. 23, 2014
(offline)
Sorry I'v been away from the net for a while, is it to late to enter a character if not I enter Henry the bogyman from the Understanding! link
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
SnowTheHedgehog at 1:37PM, Oct. 23, 2014
(online)
Alright then, I guess you can consider me in with, like half a place. Life's going a little tipsy-turvy recently, so I am not entirely sure yet if I will be able to participate. Should it be the case though, I'd love to, so I'm just gonna enter Zeyrah Streamline for now.
Optimism is like eating healthy. If you don't know any pro recipes, you're going to have a terrible time trying to pull through with it.
last edited on Oct. 23, 2014 1:38PM
Kou the Mad at 8:24PM, Oct. 23, 2014
(online)
there's 6, just need 2 more and we can begin the project in earnest.
Ink_wolf at 6:16AM, Oct. 28, 2014
(online)
I've been badgered more than once about joining this. At first, I discarded the idea out of hand but over time it's grown on me. Count me in (I may be able to color line art, but I've no skill with a pencil).
I intend to enter my titular character, Ink– No real comic featuring him at this time, but it's in the works.
Abridged Bio for Ink:
He's a self-described banshire (male banshee), inactively (and reluctantly) serving two masters. He's a trickster with a love of fairy-tales. a solipsist and story-teller lost in his own tales. a harbinger of death that yearns to understand life.
Powers run in the ghostly gambit– mainly phasing and invisibility– with touch of shape changing limited to three forms (human, large wolf, and Hybrid of the two. Black hair and red eyes being a constant). He fights with a glaive named Rhiannon, but relies more on phasing and clever tactics than actual combat skill.
"There's no such thing as sanity, And that's the sanest fact"-Dire Straits, One World

Kou the Mad at 5:41PM, Nov. 2, 2014
(online)
we just need 1 more than it's showtime!

We are just 1 short……..really need another person.
last edited on Nov. 10, 2014 9:35PM
SnowTheHedgehog at 1:53PM, Nov. 11, 2014
(online)
Well, there's no need to push it. The idea's going nowhere, and the participants (hopefully) aren't either. If anything, it should be advertised more, if there's really no other way of getting at least another character. (I think it should be advertised either way.)
Call Me Tom at 7:02AM, Dec. 23, 2014
(offline)
Kou who is possibly mad I have free time comming up at the end of the
month if you want to give me a script for the intro for your to
tournament thing I can draw it up!
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
Kou the Mad at 4:16PM, Dec. 24, 2014
(online)
i'd like everyone's opinion on this, but based on feedback, the idea i remember hearing was it taking place in a Large, Black Tower.
From there, i imagine a Powerful Being of Unknown Origin summons the combatants in order fight each other for the prize of 1 Wish.

That was the rough idea from what i remember, if anyone wishes to interject with their ideas, go ahead.
Banes at 8:41PM, Jan. 4, 2015
(offline)
Sounds fun! My characters aren't all fighters, but some are…and the others can certainly take a punch.

I have a couple; one or two or three of them could participate, as needed…

WADE is a tall (6'5") dim brute. Though he's a softie way deep down, he's a brawler and revels in it. He's very strong but not superhuman, and prefers fighting multiple partners.

PENELOPE is a tall (6'6"), cute, kinda chubby and kinda muscular, blonde with pigtails and light freckles. She knows how to fight, but is more a lover by nature. She's very strong as well, though not superhuman. She's happy, bubbly, and impulsive.

OSCAR is an average, pale slacker with dark rings under his eyes. He's a soft, empathetic sort who loves movies and has a dry sense of humor. However, when provoked properly, he has a hidden berserker side. He becomes a savage, feral being. His savagery seems to increase his strength, endurance and fighting prowess.

TK is a smart and snarky and would fight more with his wits than physical prowess. He's sort of a Bill Murray type. Or a Bugs Bunny type.

Ok…that's too many characters. XD ………..Whichever one or two that would add interest to the whole would be fun.

All of the characters are from Typical Strange (linked below).

last edited on Jan. 4, 2015 8:49PM
Kou the Mad at 3:47AM, Jan. 5, 2015
(online)
we could definitly use an Every man, i'd say Oscar for the sake of variety.

and if i'm not mistaken, that makes 8.
i believe we can begin writing the story.

I imagine A powerful Sorceror Summons the 8 ‘Contestants’ To the Black Tower Which exists in a Dimension with a very dark Sky. The Winner shall win a single Wish, Who will win?

Guys? We have the 8 Characters, we just need to get Make up a Villain and start it up.
last edited on Feb. 10, 2015 9:50PM
Ink_wolf at 6:13PM, Feb. 28, 2015
(online)
I definitely think a powerful sorcerer should be involved. Whether he is the true villain or not remains to be seen. Actually, a LOT remains to be seen. Do we have NPCs? Many, few? How about minions and security? Has anybody heard of this kind of tourney before to lead credence to it?
I like the black tower idea, but it may get to become a monotonous location for the 7+ fights. Perhaps its a waypoint of nexus for the completion with fights being held elsewhere?

Oh dear, Ive asked more questions than Ive answered. Hows about another one to top the last lot:
Might I be so bold as to make a suggestion most radical? This forum seems a mightyslow and limited method of communication. Perhaps a medium such as Skype could pick up our paceat least for the planning process. As of now, we are 8 strangers tentatively planning a tourney in a public forum. If we want any secrets or mystery we need some different way of talking about them so as to keep readers blissfully in the dark.
"There's no such thing as sanity, And that's the sanest fact"-Dire Straits, One World

Kou the Mad at 5:50PM, March 4, 2015
(online)
Yeah, i've been waiting for any response for a while now, perhaps Skype is the way to go.
or at least a more active place away from drunk duck.
Ink_wolf at 5:52AM, March 7, 2015
(online)
I just sent out PQs to all formerly interested parties; not
sure if anyone will notice but it seemed the right way to remind folks that
this exists.

Anyway, I dont know what platform we want to use for
regular communication about this project, but my skype handle is
Ink-wolfe. If you want to chat about
this project, feel free to look me upjust make sure that you tell me that its
for the Tourney or Ill assume you are a bot.

shastab24 at 7:27AM, March 7, 2015
(online)
Sorry, I'd forgotten about this. Anyways, I think I'd submit Eiderdown from Karabear Comics Unlimited.
SnowTheHedgehog at 1:47PM, March 7, 2015
(online)
What Shastab said. TOTALLY forgot about this whole thing, I'm terribly sorry.
I like to continue where Ink left off, however I have only one question right about now. How long or short do we want the whole thing to be? 'Cause I certainly would like to see the contestants going through some ordeals before actually combatting each other. A kind of “tuition” for the battles, Trying to get through a maze of corridors with changing layout, fighting minoins and/or monsters, etc.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon