Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2015 Rant/Share/General Discussion thread
Ironscarf at 3:19AM, Jan. 9, 2015
(offline)
Kroatz wrote:
@ Ironscarf:
After re-reading what I wrote, I can see how it may
look like I tried to exclude you from the wonderful thinkers category.
Please know that that was not what I was trying to do. The: Im just
gonna respond to Ironscarf' line, was only meant to announce that yours
was the only post I was going to answer. Just has some subtle meanings
that the closest Dutch translation does not have.

Any
implication that you are in any way lesser, or your opinions are in any
way less valuable, were not meant at all and most likely stem from a
combination of tiredness and a slight language barrier. I am sorry I
offended you, and I understand my mistake. I will make sure I pick my
words more carefully next time, because the last thing I want to do is
insult or alienate any of you.

In response to your actual post: I
realize that alcohol is a very big part of a lot of people's lives. I
come from the Netherlands, there's stuff available to most of us that
would cause lengthy prison sentences even a few kilometers across the
border. In the Netherlands we recently raised the legal drinking age a
few years, and there were protests. We value our freedom of
mind-alteration.

But even though I have extremely easy access
to drink, pot, shrooms, or even some of the harder stuff, I choose not
to partake. If I am happy, I don't need any of it to remain happy, and
if I'm sad, I won't be helped by any of it either. And I do not think
that alcohol- or drug-abuse is in any way caused by the products
themselves. Too much of anything is wrong, and usually the fault of the
consumer.

But to me, and this is a personal opinion, any amount
of mind-altering, mind-numbing, mind-expanding, or mind-improving
substances has the potential to be too much. If I meet you after a few
drinks, and you behave completely different from sober-scarf, then you
are not the same person. If it would not alter you much, then what's
really the point? And this is completely seperate from the effects it
has on your own life. Anything enjoyed under the influence has less
value, it would be more beautiful if you had been sober, because you
would have seen it, felt it, and been able to think about as it really
is, instead of the blurred, softened image that alcohol sends to your
brain.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

@Lonnehart:
If
everyone in the world, in the universe, would be forced to worship
Flubbert the powerful, or die, then I personally do not believe that
that would be true worship. At the very least it would call into
question if independent thought, and free will, actually exist.

But
are a lot of religions not doing the same, or even worse things right
now? Worship Sponk, the smelly, or you will burn forever in his rancid
sex dungeon. If a religion can force you to believe in their particular
afterlife, and then tell you that you can only reach it if you do what
they say, that's as bad as a microchip to the brain.

@Bravo:
Dollar - Daalder. Which was an old form of Dutch currency.
Yankee - Jan Kees. A typical old Dutch name. (Two, really)
Cookie - Koekje. Which means biscuit.
Wall Street - Wal straat. Means wall street, but was Dutch first.
Boss - Baas. Means the same, Dutch first.
Brooklyn - Breukelen. A name most likely meaning forest town.
Coney Island - Konijn eiland. Rabbit Island.
Decoy - De kooi. Meaning the cage.
Luck - Geluk. Means almost the same, but geluk has happiness attached to it.

I
looked it up, and around 1% of all english words have their origin in
Dutch. Which is probably much lower than the amount of English words in
Dutch.

@Vladimirmasters:
Drink as much as you feel comfortable with. I am not someone you should be taking much advice from.
(Except if I recommend books, I have good taste in books.)
@Cutecollegestudent:
is the most depressingly uplifting book I know, and I read it about
once every two years. Even in the free world, we're halfway there.
We're being monitored, told lies, cut up into a ruling class and a
working class, and being slowly forced into a few big regions that are
constantly at war with each other. In a way, our reality is a bit worse,
because our subjugation is mostly voluntary. One horrible tragedy every
once in a while, and the ruling class can push any new laws they want.
Even a real Newspeak is slowly being fleshed out, starting with rofl omg
lol, and ending with no concept of freedom.

It's cool that you
have a personal link to the subject matter, and living in a communist
country for a while should, if not pleasant, at least be interesting.
And no, the original idea behind communism will never work. Just like
the pure forms of democracy and capitalism will never work. It's human
nature that gets in the way of human hope. All animals are equal, but
some are more equal than others. We'll always want more than everyone
else, which is the reason why we're at the top of the food chain, and
also the reason why we'll not remain there forever.

On chairs: That's not a chair! This is a chair! *Throw chair, storm out.*

On
Nietzsche: The bermensch thing is actually misunderstood by most. Most
of the negative connotations are because Hitler, who was on friendly
terms with Nietzsche's sister, adopted the term but not the meaning. I
guess I haven't really delved into the subject enough, but I understand
bermensch as a man or woman that makes the most of their life, mostly
in the realm of intellect and philosophy.

And finally, everyone
in a group should be on the same level of intoxication. My preferred
level is just a lot lower than the one that others appear to prefer.

Hippievan:
The
French language, even though I have never spent a happy moment in its
vicinity, is something that I wish I was better at. The lessons I had in
high school were forced, and I did not feel the need and importance
back then. That is why hearing that your dad is learning French, at a
later age than, is very inspiring. I truly hope I still have the will
to learn when I get to my late 40's, early 50's. (Which is the age I
would guess your father to be. Mine have reached that milestone, and are
dreading the next.)

@Ayes:
I
hope you have a wonderful holiday, that feels longer than they usually
do. And that you make at least three new memories. (Quality over
Quantity)

@Ozone:
Any
help you can offer is welcome. And I think it's extremely cool that
you're writing with others. My last writing partner had to go back to
India, and we haven't done much since then. I guess I should give up
hope that that story ever finishes.

I was actually just kidding with my opening paragraph and wasn't offended at all. I should have made that clearer but always forget how difficult it is to interpret these things online. I also admit to not drafting a 28 page reply and editing it down!

We'll have to agree to differ on this one. I can't view a reasonable amount of alcohol as dulling the senses. It may dull one or two, but others are heightened as a result! Some people are having a wonderful time all the time without the aid of stimulants and I envy them their brain chemistry. Others require constant medication just to remain on an even keel. If a little of one can help you to join in with the other then all the better!
Of course, non drinkers should not be pressured to join in with the drinking and no serious drinker would attempt such a thing. Someone has to do the driving after all. They are worth their weight in gold.

I must say, your handling of English is far better than most of the natives!
last edited on Jan. 9, 2015 3:21AM
bravo1102 at 7:05AM, Jan. 9, 2015
(offline)
Kroatz wrote:
@Bravo:
Dollar - Daalder. Which was an old form of Dutch currency.
Yankee - Jan Kees. A typical old Dutch name. (Two, really)
That is one alternate derivation of Yankee. It could also come from a Pequot term used in Massechusetts. Jan Kees probably postdates the Pequot. The true origin is obscure. I got this from a recent history of the Puritan-indian wars so this research may not have filtered into the internet yet.
Amazingly according to some sources Dollar passed into English through the Spanish! But considering Holland was once the Spanish Netherlands the connection is understandable. It was the Spanish dollar which was a currency used in the New World that probably directly passed “dollar” into English but the Spanish dollar derived from the Dutch currency. Little convoluted, so some references forget the Dutch connection.

The further back you go the more words there are in English from other languages. According to Noah Webster and Washington Irving the Dutch influence was purely on the American language. Hence it being cookies in the USA and biscuits in Britain. The first use of “cookie” in print supposedly was a cookbook from around the 1780s.

Since the Norse predate so many other influences fully 25-33% of modern English derives from old Norse and then comes Norman French (being spoken by guys only two generations removed from being Norwegian) Mix in a pot for and cook on high for two centuries and you get Chaucer. Lower to a simmer and wait two more Centuries and you get Shakespeare. Let stand a century, season with lots of dictionary writers and grammarians and serve.
Lonnehart at 4:38AM, Jan. 10, 2015
(online)
Just a question for your military types (because I'm too lazy to sift through Wikipedia and because I like getting info from those who know the subject)…

How are military groups organized? I hear like things like “group”, “wing”, and “squadron” tossed about. Sometimes I'll hear the words used to mean the same group of pilots, and sometimes they'll be used to refer to some larger group.

I'd like to get my groupings right before some air force/navy nutcase starts unloading on me about how wrong I am (for the comic I'm trying to draw)… :)
kawaiidaigakusei at 4:40AM, Jan. 10, 2015
(online)
Over the last few days, I have been analyzing why I have a penchant for being joyful at the expense of someone else's misfortune. Chalk it up to schadenfreude, or as bravo puts it, shaleasure.

Then I realised that three of my favorite comedians: Louis C.K., Conan O'Brien, and Woody Allen (circa Annie Hall and Manhattan), have all poked fun at themselves in their jokes that I have no other reaction, but to laugh. The act of witnessing a comic debase himself has uplifted my mood on several occasions and has reinforced what ozoneocean said, “in English the proper word for (laughing at misfortune) is ”comedy".

@bravo-
It would be interesting to see a drawn diagram of the elevator shaft that you keep mentioning. How many floors high was the fall? It sounds like an emotionally distressing event from the details you have mentioned like your face smacking the central pillar.

—–

Oh and for anyone living in colder climates. I just started using an electric blanket tonight and it is one of the most amazing investments during the winter.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Kroatz at 4:24PM, Jan. 10, 2015
(online)
There can be no humor without at least a tiny bit of victim. Any joke is at the expense of someone, be they real or fictional. My favorite ‘funny’ writer started his series of books with two books about a completely failed wizzard. The whole book was poking fun at his inadequacy. But there was no mean-ness involved, the writer was not hurting anyone real with his words. And I think that's important, make jokes that are not meant to hurt people, and you're good.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Radioplay 2015 needs volunteer judges!
Radioplay 2015 needs volunteer writers!
Anyone that wants to write, but doesn't feel too sure about their skills by themselves, PQ me, and I'll see what I can do to help.

There are two scripts so far. The first a complete story about two time travelling brothers, that have an adventure through time and space! The second is the first episode of a fantasy series about a strict and noble captain of the guard and an unlucky adventurer with a great destiny!

We want more! It's easy! Anyone can write! Free help is offered!
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
HippieVan at 10:50PM, Jan. 10, 2015
(online)
As much as I like my university, it is incredibly slow in getting final grades to us. It's been over a month since I took my final exam last semester - how has the senate not had time to review the grades yet?
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
bravo1102 at 6:15AM, Jan. 11, 2015
(offline)
A squadron is part of wing and a wing is a subdivison of a group. At least in the RAF. Subdivisions of squadrons are called flights. In between group and wing are stations. Usually a bunch of wings are based at a specific station and under one commanding officer.

The USAAF usually has squadrons as part of group. Groups are part of an Air Force and Air Forces are regionally organized into air divisions. The various Air Commands are more for doctrine and force mission statements like putting all the bombers and missiles into the Stategic Air Command. Though squadrons from SAC and ADC and TAC are all put together in air forces and air divsions. SAC, ADC, and TAC have all had their names changed in the Post-Cold war era.
last edited on Jan. 11, 2015 6:18AM
Lonnehart at 1:02AM, Jan. 12, 2015
(online)
Somehow I dreamt that I was on the Worst Cooks of America. Now I consider myself a decent cook. I'm not bad enough to burn the stuff I cook.

So here I am, boiling water for a dish. As it is cooling a cat comes up, sniffs the water, and dies on the spot. Tyler Florence kicks me off the team right then and there. And I do a smack facepalm… which is how I woke up…

Now why did I dream I was on that show? Because it was playing on TV… O_O

Thanks for the info, Bravo. From what your info says, most of the story I'm writing will take place at the Flight or Squadron level. I take it the Navy works that way too?
Can't say that the ship is a carrier. It's way too large I think (nearly 2,500 to 3,000 meters long). It's meant to be a “Battle Fortress” class vessel.

Think a battleship on steroids. With a large number of fighters at its disposal (normally 50,000 fighters, but the ship's circumstances will drastically reduce that number), and armed to the teeth with weaponry. And a powerful “main gun” that can be fired in a variety of ways… Short burst shots that can be fired rapidly to one powerful all or nothing shot that leave the ship somewhat defenseless due to the enormous power drain.

And I don't intend for the thing to transform (it has no need to). Meanwhile the Super Dimension Fortress Macross HAD to transform. Thanks to the circumstances surrounding its first launch it lost vital circuitry that was needed to fire its main gun. Transforming was the only way to reconnect the remaining components in order to charge and fire the weapon.
last edited on Jan. 12, 2015 12:54PM
Ironscarf at 7:04PM, Jan. 12, 2015
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Oh and for anyone living in colder climates. I just started using an electric blanket tonight and it is one of the most amazing investments during the winter.

I've been planning to form a psychedelic blues power trio for a while now but couldn't come up with the right name. The Electric Blanket might just do it.

Accursed washing machine has broken down and can't be fixed. I hate domestic appliances. I know everything is built to self destruct in three years now, but these things are such a hassle to replace.
HippieVan at 8:41PM, Jan. 12, 2015
(online)
The cold here is getting genuinely hard to bear. -34C right now. It's at the point now where even momentary contact between the outside air and my skin is literally painful. It's hard not to get down in the dumps this time of year, even for those of us who don't suffer from SAD. I was standing at a bus stop the other day, freezing my pants off and thinking “I hope it warms up soon.” And then realized that no, of course it won't warm up soon - there's at least another 3 months of this before it even starts to warm up, and then who knows how long after that before the snow melts and we get lovely things like grass again.

Also, if someone found me a pair of boots that will keep my feet warm (or at least not freezing and wet) and won't make me a social outcast, I would love that person forever.

I have to go to a wedding this weekend for a couple friends of mine. I haven't been to one since I was eight or so and I'm totally dreading it. I've only been invited to the ceremony and not the reception which has me a little bit bummed out and puts me in a weird position where I'm not sure if I'm meant to get them a gift or not. To any parents on this site: please explain these aspects of grown-up life to your children. There's no note on the invitation so I have no clue what I'm expected to get them, or where I'll put it when I get there, or anything. So far the internet has not been helpful.
Ironscarf at 4:27AM, Jan. 13, 2015
(offline)
HippieVan wrote:
I have to go to a wedding this weekend for a couple friends of mine. I haven't been to one since I was eight or so and I'm totally dreading it. I've only been invited to the ceremony and not the reception which has me a little bit bummed out and puts me in a weird position where I'm not sure if I'm meant to get them a gift or not. To any parents on this site: please explain these aspects of grown-up life to your children. There's no note on the invitation so I have no clue what I'm expected to get them, or where I'll put it when I get there, or anything. So far the internet has not been helpful.

The following fron The London Economic - full article here.

If youre invited to the actual wedding ceremony, give the bride and groom a gift. No ifs, no buts!
If youre invited to the evening reception, or a party after the
actual ceremony has occurred, you may or may not wish to give a gift,
but many people do anyway. If you attend the ceremony, its the pit of
bad manners not to give a gift. Even if the bride and groom insist that
they dont want a gift, give one anyway.
Clair Hart from wedbay.co.uk said
One of my married friends warned me not everyone will buy you a gift,
and youll be acutely aware of who didnt for the rest of time. I
thought it sounded extreme, but post wedding, when writing down names
next to gifts, ready to start penning 150 thank you cards, the absent
names of some close friends were as disappointing as that engagement
ring sized box containing a fridge magnet I was once given. In a pole
conducted by the website, 98% of users said that you should provide a
gift if youre invited to the wedding ceremony.
kawaiidaigakusei at 5:56AM, Jan. 13, 2015
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
As much as I like my university, it is incredibly slow in getting final grades to us. It's been over a month since I took my final exam last semester - how has the senate not had time to review the grades yet?
Seriously! They need to get their act together. The ideal is that final grades get sent out before Christmas Day so you can spend the remaining days of the holiday not stressing out over GPAs and mentally prep for the next semester. Nice professors take about a week after finals to submit grades.

On the topic of weddings- I assumed it would be the opposite. The reception is the part that costs $$$ money depending on the number of guests. The ceremony is practically free or at a fixed rate. If you do buy a gift, don't overspend. Money is always appreciated to cover wedding costs, but kitchen appliances are also affordable and practical. I still believe that weddings are really just one giant goodbye party to your former life and single friends.

Hilarious about the winter boot photo! That was the type of boot I imagined would work. I managed to get through Ontario's polar vortex last year using FitFlop boots. Water never seeped into them and I could just double up on socks for extra warmth.

Ironscarf wrote:
I've been planning to form a psychedelic blues power trio for a while now but couldn't come up with the right name. The Electric Blanket might just do it.
You have Iron Scarf and Electric Blanket. Now all you need is the Robot Tie and you'll have a trifecta of metal awesomeness.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
bravo1102 at 6:22AM, Jan. 13, 2015
(offline)
Before the US Army developed a love of hot, dry places they used to send everyone to cold, wet places. So a good pair of shoes is a necessity unless you like frostbite and trenchfoot. I've seen frostbite in damp at nearly 50 fahrenehit. It was the damp. So anything to keep your feet warm and dry is the right choice.
The Danner Fort Lewis. What a magnifcent boot. Warm, dry even snuggly. And worth every penny.
kawaiidaigakusei at 6:29AM, Jan. 13, 2015
(online)
Military boots are a trending accessory for many subcultures. Just go inside any Hot Topic and they have styles similar to the one bravo posted.

I still do not get how so many ladies are able to wear high heeled, leather boots in the snow. Slippery ice and ankles do not mix.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
bravo1102 at 7:49AM, Jan. 13, 2015
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
I still do not get how so many ladies are able to wear high heeled, leather boots in the snow. Slippery ice and ankles do not mix.
Gotta lace it really tight so there is lots of support for the ankle. But then the secret to not slipping is rubber heels.

True story, went to a medieval event in my East German officer's boots. Long black boots with a wonderful molded rubber sole. It was rainy and snowy and I saw several ladies in the long leather boots slip. I'd help them up and show them the underside of my boot. Gripping rubber sole. I had also mink-oiled the boots to make them waterproof. I got rid of them when I sold the rest of the East German uniform. Some guy has the whole outfit on a manniquin.

But those boots weren't nothing compared to my Danner Fort Lewis boots. Still have tehm and after years of neglect I shined and mink-oiled them and they look as good as new after over 20 years. A good pair of boots is an investment, not a mere purchase like so may other types of footwear.
kawaiidaigakusei at 11:02AM, Jan. 13, 2015
(online)
I looked up the Danner Fort Lewis boots and they cost as much as a new netbook computer! I am sure they come in handy for the harsh East Coast winters. My dad always says that shoes are the best investment because you have to take care of your feet. I assume that the DFL boots don't restrict ankle movement so you can run in them. They were made for the military afterall.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Jan. 13, 2015 11:04AM
HippieVan at 12:31PM, Jan. 13, 2015
(online)
Boots:

Yeah, those Danner Fort Lewis boots are like 2-3 times what I could afford to spend. I'm also not convinced that they would be warm enough, because they're probably intended as all-season boots. As much as I love military-style boots in terms of fashion.

@kawaii: I wouldn't be so averse to ugly functional boots, except that I don't have a locker or anything at school. Whatever I wear outside, I also have to deal with inside where I like to dress fairly nicely. Sorels and skirts aren't the best match past the age of 7 or so.

Weddings:

Haha, this is exactly why I'm having issues with this. I have also been told that the wedding gift is meant to account for the cost of being fed etc. at the reception, which is why I'm confused.

If I do get a gift, what kind of kitchen appliances do people give? And what's cheap but not tacky? I can't afford much right now.

Ugh, being a grown up is the worst. Is it tacky to ask them directly what they want?
Ironscarf at 2:37PM, Jan. 13, 2015
(offline)
Some couples make a list. It wouldn't be out of order to ask them if they have one and might get you somewhere.

You can't beat a nice toaster in my opinion. Better still, a nice toast rack - that'll last forever. Picture the scene many years from now: a doddery old couple at the breakfast table - one reaches to the back of the cupboard in a futile search for marmalade and what should emerge but your toast rack, smart as the day it was bought.

They won't remember when and where they got it of course, but there it will sit, guarding two slices of slightly burnt Dempsters, half a century after all the other presents have gone to the great charity shop in the sky.
last edited on Jan. 13, 2015 2:38PM
bravo1102 at 4:42PM, Jan. 13, 2015
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
Better still, a nice toast rack - that'll last forever. Picture the scene many years from now: a doddery old couple at the breakfast table - one reaches to the back of the cupboard in a futile search for marmalade and what should emerge but your toast rack, smart as the day it was bought.

They won't remember when and where they got it of course, but there it will sit, guarding two slices of slightly burnt Dempsters, half a century after all the other presents have gone to the great charity shop in the sky.
I read this and realized how empty my married life has been without a toast rack.

A good pair of boots is not a purchase but an investment. They're supposed to last you a few decades. But there are FAR cheaper alternatives to the Danner Fort Lewis boots. Got to shop around. I know entirely too much about footware from my time in the service but i still did a ton of research to figure what to get when I needed to replace my jungleboots last year. Between Amazon and Zappos you can't go wrong.

Everything in cold weather is layering. The Fort Lewis boots are warm enough for the coldest climates and in fact are too well insulated for summer in New Jersey. I've worn my Danners in real arctic weather and lots of snow. My feet were always cozy. But these days my feet are just fine in a normal pair of combat boots. The Danners are TOO cozy. I keep them for blizzards.

But you gotta wear the right socks. A nice pair of wool boot socks for the winter and cotton athletic socks for the rest of the year. And when it finally gets above 55 Fahrenheit out come the jungle boots.
Ozoneocean at 11:51PM, Jan. 13, 2015
(online)
With wedding gifts, I wouldn't bother. Just show up and pretend you have no idea about them. But that's just me. :)

About boots… These Australin style army boots lasted me SO well through uni. WAY too hot in summer (swimmingpools of sweat), but so taosty in winter. I heated them up and rubbed Snowseal into the leather to protect from the rain.
I bought them originally only as models for my paintings of Pinky back when she was still just part of a painting series.
When Bianka modled Pinky at San Diego she had the soles buffed down and new platform ones added:

Bianka wearing them at Comic Con: https://flic.kr/p/a6m3uw

This is what they look like now… but scratched yp on the toes, in need of a polish, but still great boots. I don't wear them because of those raised soles now though XD

bravo1102 at 6:16AM, Jan. 14, 2015
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:

This is what they look like now… but scratched yp on the toes, in need of a polish, but still great boots. I don't wear them because of those raised soles now though XD

Even I at 5'11" enjoy the added couple of inches in height my combat boots give me. Nothing wrong with a little platform.
The 1990's era speedlace boots are what I wear these days. No grip on that sole but the muck comes out of it easy. But the heel promises to last forever. However these boots took forever to break in and they kill your feet along the way. They need a road march to break them in or running up and down 6 fligths of stairs every night.

Now if I can just get a new heel put on my tanker boots I'll be set.
HippieVan at 1:34PM, Jan. 14, 2015
(online)
I don't understand how some people don't like cats. If I could write poems I would write a love poem for mine. Annie does this really sweet thing where she lowers her head for a kiss, and then gently touches her nose to my forehead to give a kiss back.
ayesinback at 2:05PM, Jan. 14, 2015
(online)
HippieVan wrote:

Ugh, being a grown up is the worst. Is it tacky to ask them directly what they want?

In the States many stores (Macys, Crate and Barrel, Pier I) offer a registry service, where the bride/groom create lists of items they like that this store carries. It's super simple because a lot of them are online. So here, it's perfectly normal to ask the bride/groom where they're “registered”. Don't know if Canadians have this service or not.

PS–I agree with you about cats. A quotation I read (can't recall who wrote it): “cats always lay soft” sums up a lot of my perspective toward those graceful, haughty beings.

Well, I'm home again, and it's cold and GRAY. So I'm staying inside and having fun with pictures. We were all armed with a camera and now, among the four of us, there's well over a thousand pictures, probably a hundred good ones. Digital cameras make the “taking of” perhaps too easy.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Kroatz at 2:33PM, Jan. 14, 2015
(online)
I love all beings, except dolphins, spiders, any kind of fish, mosquitos, leeches, other parasites, most humans, dolphins, wasps, flies, dolphins and dolphins. I get why people love cats, and I get why people dislike cats. The biggest reason that some people dislike cats is because cats have no real need for humans. They seem to be just as happy with or without you. Dogs were once wild animals, and they were deformed over many generations until they love and need us. Cats just decided to be pets one day, because it is an easier way to get food.

I think dogs bring more happiness into your life, because you feel that they need you. But there is nothing wrong with loving cats (in a platonic way), and the loud and obnoxious cat-hatred does not help the world in any way.

Some cats, like every single one that one of my neighbors owns, are complete and utter assholes though.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
HippieVan at 3:30PM, Jan. 14, 2015
(online)
ayesinback wrote:
In the States many stores (Macys, Crate and Barrel, Pier I) offer a registry service, where the bride/groom create lists of items they like that this store carries. It's super simple because a lot of them are online. So here, it's perfectly normal to ask the bride/groom where they're “registered”. Don't know if Canadians have this service or not.

I ended up doing exactly this! I figured they weren't registered anywhere because it wasn't on the invitation, but I thought that would be a better opening to the conversation than “Hey, what the heck do ya guys want?!” I got in touch with the bride and she actually made me feel a lot better about the whole thing. I think I tend to expect people to be meaner and more high-strung than they are in reality, even when (as is the case with these people) I know that's not their nature. Probably the result of spending too much time around dysfunctional people. Anyways, she gave me some good ideas of things that would be useful to them and told me that my being there is more important to them than a present in any case. We had a nice talk about how crappy weddings are. :P

ayesinbackwrote:
PS–I agree with you about cats. A quotation I read (can't recall who wrote it): “cats always lay soft” sums up a lot of my perspective toward those graceful, haughty beings.

That's a lovely quote. :) My cats are alternately soft and very sharp when you touch their bellies, haha. It's a lovely feeling when a cat is lying completely relaxed on your lap, all soft and fluffy.

Kroatzwrote:
The biggest reason that some people dislike cats is because cats have no real need for humans. They seem to be just as happy with or without you.

That's definitely true of some cats, but I think most properly socialized cats enjoy being with humans and some even seem to need humans. My cats cover the spectrum from “I will seek you out for the occasional head rub and otherwise ignore you” to “I need constant attention.” I think cat affection is just quieter than dog affection, which I find appealing as a bit of a quiet person. I notice that my cat Annie likes to be near me most of the time, even when she isn't seeking cuddles. She'll sort of follow me quietly from room to room and settle a few feet away from me.
kawaiidaigakusei at 5:26PM, Jan. 14, 2015
(online)
Kroatz wrote:
I love all beings, except dolphins, spiders, any kind of fish, mosquitos, leeches, other parasites, most humans, dolphins, wasps, flies, dolphins and dolphins.
I am afraid to ask, but what on earth did a dolphin ever do to you? I am willing to agree with the “most humans” statement, especially while I am driving or if I am a pedestrian and the human is riding a bike.

—-

I am a “Rabbit Person” through and through. If Buddhism turns out to be right all along, then I would like to be reincarnated as a rabbit in my next life (you read it here first, folks!). There are specific breeds of rabbits that I am more drawn to than others and I have sketched them out here:

It was because of my preference for rabbits that it has taken me seven years and a bag of chicken flavored Temptations treats for my sister's pet cat to even acknowledge my presence–we are friends now. At first I thought cats and rabbits were always at odds, but Hippie's pics of her pet cat and rabbit peacefully interacting has taught me that it IS possible for the two species to get along. I also began to get closer to the cat because I stopped sneezing uncontrollably when I am in the same room. Interestingly enough, as soon as my cat allergies ceased being an issue, other allergies that I had previously when I was younger were also eradicated from my body. I credit the feline for boosting my immune system and letting me enjoy spaghetti sauce again.

—-

Oh yes, and wedding gifts I have purchased in the past-
I used the wedding registry, so I assumed anything from that would be appreciated, so I bought the couple a wok with a lid, steamer rack, and some bamboo cooking tools. Marriage is about building the ultimate kitchen. I say, assess your relationship with the couple and whether you are better friends with the bride or groom and then decide on your purchase.

…and that brings me to this "toast rack" Ironscarf mentioned:

Is the functional purpose of this to hold pieces of toast upright after they have been removed from the toaster? I have never seen one of these used in my life. It looks like it belongs in a museum in an exhibit for Marcel Duchamp's ready-mades with placard that says “Untitled Rack #3”.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
HippieVan at 7:47PM, Jan. 14, 2015
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
At first I thought cats and rabbits were always at odds, but Hippie's pics of her pet cat and rabbit peacefully interacting has taught me that it IS possible for the two species to get along.

For everyone who doesn't have me on Facebook, I was posting about how much my rabbit, Romeo, loves our newest cat, Dandy. And how he doesn't understand boundaries. :P

At least I think those are the photos kawaii is referring to! I've probably posted pictures of cats and rabbits together before. Annie and Juliet, who are the most shy of all our animals, have a pretty good system of peaceful coexistence going on. I've actually had a much harder time getting the two rabbits to get along. Rabbits tend to live in groups, so they're more concerned with their little rabbit hierarchies when they're together. The cats don't seem to care as much about dominance, so they let the rabbits take charge most of the time. (Incidentally, a rabbit trying to punch a cat is adorable.)

and that brings me to this “toast rack” Ironscarf mentioned:
Is the functional purpose of this to hold pieces of toast upright after they have been removed from the toaster? I have never seen one of these used in my life. It looks like it belongs in a museum in an exhibit for Marcel Duchamp's ready-mades with placard that says Untitled Rack #3.

Yes, that's what they're for! I think these are a British thing. I've never seen one here, but when I stayed with my aunt in London she had one.
HippieVan at 7:57PM, Jan. 14, 2015
(online)
Double posting because I don't have the energy to format all my quotes again.

I just about had my first real panic attack in a long time because I'm not so good at the maths. My university calculates our GPA on a 4.5 scale, and I was trying to compare to average law school admissions which were on a 4.0 scale. I thought I could just cross-multiply-divide my GPA and it came up a bit lower than I would have liked, so I was suddenly confronted with the prospect of being forced to re-consider my life plans. Told my dad when he got home and he told me the number I came up with didn't make any sense. Turns out they're calculated differently (A and A+ are both a 4.0? Weird.) and one spreadsheet later I'm actually comfortably above where I need to be. A bit of an emotional rollercoaster there!
bravo1102 at 8:07PM, Jan. 14, 2015
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
…and that brings me to this "toast rack" Ironscarf mentioned:

Is the functional purpose of this to hold pieces of toast upright after they have been removed from the toaster? I have never seen one of these used in my life.
I saw them when I was in London. A great thing they can also hold buttered toast upright so you don't have the butter getting on both sides like you do when stacking the toast flat. Makes breakfast a touch more civilized.

I hate getting my jam on both sides of the toast, where do I hold it? So I could use one. But being an uncivilized Yank my urge for liberty extends to my toast which shall not be shakcled upright but be free to lounge around the plate getting jam everywhere.

That being said they did have them in Colonial America. Back then toast was hot when you pulled it off the fire.
kawaiidaigakusei at 8:24PM, Jan. 14, 2015
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
At least I think those are the photos kawaii is referring to! I've probably posted pictures of cats and rabbits together before.
I was referring to a picture you posted on the forum a loooooong time ago of one cat and one rabbit on a cat tree! I thought it was adorable because I did not know that lagomorphs knew how to climb those things.
bravo1102 wrote:
I hate getting my jam on both sides of the toast
That sounds like a euphemism for something. I do not know what yet, but it would make a great phrase for a shirt design.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Jan. 14, 2015 8:33PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon