Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2015 Rant/Share/General Discussion thread
Ozoneocean at 5:06PM, Jan. 19, 2015
(online)
Please send me the pic Skull :D
Ironscarf at 5:32PM, Jan. 19, 2015
(offline)
Skullbie wrote:
Welp I sold my wacom cintiq, at a loss for sure. Funny thing was the guy who bought it said it arrived with a big scratch on the screen. I'm like wtf since I shipped it in the original case and the cintiq screen is literally scratch resistant. I ask for pics and he sends me this pic of a pure white line clearly made by the default brush pen in photoshop! I can't believe the nerve of some people. I flat out told him the screen material could not recieve a scratch like that.Haven't heard from him since but i imagine i'll be getting that ebay ‘not as desribed’ in three months since scammers seem to think tenacity is the key. Not getting a penny out of me if that happens.

Have you told him to try the eraser tool? Usually works for me.
Skullbie at 6:57PM, Jan. 19, 2015
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
Have you told him to try the eraser tool? Usually works for me.
Wish I had the balls to say that. This is pretty much the popular ebay scam though, find (or in this case photoshop) little nitpicks and tell the seller, expecting a 20-30% refund under the table. I aint a flea market!
Ozoneocean at 11:47PM, Jan. 19, 2015
(online)
That “Scratch” did look a bit strange… shiny and glowing white!
I tried to replicate the photo effects to see how he got that.
I had to take a pic with the Cintiq turned off in a dark room with only a dull desk lamp and the flash on my phone turned on and also have digital zoom on so it looks really grainy and all the dust is super highlighted.

If you DID have a scratch then it wouldn't show up like that. Theye're hard enough to see on cintiques anyway. You really need to take a clear, non-zoomed pic in bright light, like sunlight.
Very scammy.
HippieVan at 9:29AM, Jan. 20, 2015
(online)
I just had my first good idea for a webcomic in years. It would be like a cross between Le Petit Prince and Alice in Wonderland, and would give me an excuse to draw cats in people clothes and lots of aliens.

Now I just need to learn how to write!
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Kroatz at 10:58AM, Jan. 20, 2015
(online)
@Hippie:
You can write. You can stop smoking. You will no longer crave fatty sauces. People are interested in the things you have to say. You deserve all the love you receive. You can create anything you want to. There are better days coming for you. There is no way tha- *click*

(That was one of those self help tapes. Really, there's a joke there.)

In all seriousness, it's great that you've got a cool idea, and the writing will be great. And if you feel unsure, there are a hundred people on this site that would be willing to help out. Now if only you had some way to write messages on the front page of the site, something that everyone gets to see…

- - -

My Radioplay idea sucks. Now I need to do a page 1 rewrite, in two weeks. Yay!
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
Gunwallace at 2:26PM, Jan. 20, 2015
(offline)
I'm always willing to colaborate on writing.
Although it's the summer school holidays here and I am spending a lot of time playing with my kids. Playing D
But the holdays will soon be over.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
HippieVan at 5:08PM, Jan. 20, 2015
(online)
Kroatz wrote:
@Hippie:
You can write. You can stop smoking. You will no longer crave fatty sauces. People are interested in the things you have to say. You deserve all the love you receive. You can create anything you want to. There are better days coming for you. There is no way tha- *click*

(That was one of those self help tapes. Really, there's a joke there.)

In all seriousness, it's great that you've got a cool idea, and the writing will be great. And if you feel unsure, there are a hundred people on this site that would be willing to help out. Now if only you had some way to write messages on the front page of the site, something that everyone gets to see…
Mmmm…fatty sauces…
Dang it, Kroatz, that tape you gave me didn't work!

Are you suggesting I abuse my powers and make a newspost purely to serve my own ends? …that's a pretty good idea, actually.

Gunwallace wrote:
I'm always willing to colaborate on writing.

I would totally take you up on that, but I kind of have to work on side projects in fits and starts at this point, because university takes up most of my time. I'll probably have written a whole script in like eight years!

Here are some little character drawings I did in class today!

Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Gunwallace at 7:00PM, Jan. 20, 2015
(offline)
HippieVan wrote:
I'll probably have written a whole script in like eight years.
Good things take time. I'm sure I'll still be around if you ever do want to collaborate.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Ozoneocean at 8:53PM, Jan. 20, 2015
(online)
That's a good looking character, I like the feline eyes.

———–

I'm currently reading a book about the uniforms of the armies at the Battle of Waterloo. The book was made by the guy that did the costumes for the 1970s film, an Italian professor. It has some great pics inside but I'm still reading the first part, which is a retalling of the battle itself.
It really makes me apreciate that fact I'll never have to go to war in the 19th Century! It sounds fucking AWFUL!
No wonder they liked dressing up in brightly coloured coats, feathered crests, shiny armour, leopard skins, furs, metal braids etc. It was some compensation for their destined, bloody fate.

Also, I didn't realise that cannonshot would be fired so it would skip along the ground for half a mile of body smashing spinning metal death, steel balls bouncing, decapatating and smashing legs and torsos as they go.
Lonnehart at 11:21PM, Jan. 20, 2015
(online)
That's a nice drawing, Hippie! I bet you have webcomic plans for her one day. :)

And thanks for the info on cannons, Ozone. I always thought cannons were fired like mortars. Ballistic arc ending with a grenade-like explosion upon impact. Also… I know why playing Dodgeball sometimes hurts so much…
—————–
My dreams are getting weirder…

Like my last one. Where I wake up on an operating table. A nurse (dressed in a kimono) hands me a paper telling me what to/not do during my first few “months” of “new life”. I also find out something damaged my heart and that somehow I'm alive without it (and my body is at the point where I'm physically a twenty year old and all my medical maladies are gone).

The dream gets muddled after that (like most dreams) and I can barely remember things about it. Such as how the person who saved me is a mysterious Japanese lady who may be one of the Japanese goddesses of long ago. Also, there are Oriental leaders (one is an insane dictator, the other rules his faux democratic country with an iron fist) were searching for me in order to figure out how I became “immortal” (so they can take it for themselves). And this long journey I had to undertake while eluding people working for the two (who were working against each other as well).

Probably would make for a great story if I could remember the rest of it…
kawaiidaigakusei at 3:12AM, Jan. 21, 2015
(online)
ayesinback wrote:
In the Woot arena, I just got feedback on a voice audition that required an Irish accent from a 30-something female. Nailed it! So did two others, but I was shocked that they liked mine. *zazazingmoment*
Congratulations on passing the preliminary auditions! I do wonder how the voice of a 30-something Irish female differs from that of an Irish teenager or an elderly person from Ireland. An Irish accent is hard to do, well, unless you're throwing quotes out from Tristan and Isolde and laughing the whole time.

HippieVan wrote:
I just had my first good idea for a webcomic in years. It would be like a cross between Le Petit Prince and Alice in Wonderland, and would give me an excuse to draw cats in people clothes and lots of aliens.
This was the first image that popped in my head as soon as you put those two stories in the same sentence:

…just keep the snake away from Alice!

Children's literature is so profound and has themes that adults continue relating to throughout their lives.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Jan. 21, 2015 3:15AM
bravo1102 at 4:20AM, Jan. 21, 2015
(offline)
I get inspiration from the weirdest things. It's been really cold here and the phrase “witch's tit” popped into my head. I've banged out a four page outline that could probably be fleshed out to a twenty page fantasy script some boring day at work. I wish I could do a script about teh B-17F with that name but it was a fantasy story.

I wrote a twenty page script when my laptop screen was out. The computers at work have MSWord so I can write at work. I have tons of outlines.

I so want to do some World War Ii stories since there are no decent WWII combat comics on here. Yeah we got superheroes and partisans but nothing about soldiers. There was one that was really promising but it faded out before it got out of the prologue. I created some characters and worked up some situations. I got an idea about SS camouflage called “Them Dots” so we'll see what I can produce in between the Belle Brandon boobtaculars.
Banes at 8:22AM, Jan. 21, 2015
(offline)
bravo, my visiting brother and I were just talking about witch movies the other week, and how we both love the idea of witches, but have never seen a movie/show about them that was any good.

I was excited to see “American Horror Story: Coven”, but it sucked.

At any rate, I'd like to see you do a story about witches!

bravo1102 at 10:03AM, Jan. 21, 2015
(offline)
Banes wrote:
bravo, my visiting brother and I were just talking about witch movies the other week, and how we both love the idea of witches, but have never seen a movie/show about them that was any good.

There were a couple of good ones in the 1960's. Mario Bava and Hammer did them. There's also Witchfinder General/Conqueror Worm with Vincent Price. I remember a really sick Hammer film about a witchfinder who actually faces off against a well done miniature demon because it turns out that the children in the village are the witches who are conspiring against their parents. There was an Italian one that was really creepy with a disappearing village but ultimately unsatisfying. See City of the Dead (1960) Has a really great ending.

Unless you like over the top silliness avoid William Shatner and Ernest Borgnine in The Devil's Rain. It had Anton LeVay (creator of the Satanic Bible) as technical advisor. The rest is laughable. Though when Shatner is being dragged away for Satanic sacrifice it is funny to imagine him calling out to Spock or Scotty who in my imaginary sequence beam in with a heap of redshirts and phaser Ernest Borgnine et al. It's also John Travalta's first movie. He's awful.

You know maybe I could set my witch story during World War II in an occupied country but too many plot elements wouldn't work.
Ozoneocean at 8:51PM, Jan. 21, 2015
(online)
Dario Argento's Susperia is a pretty well regarded and famous horror film with a witch.
I haven't seen it… or maybe I have, I don't recall. The witch probably wiped it from my brain! :D
Kroatz at 12:30AM, Jan. 22, 2015
(online)
Suspiria is a beautiful movie, with amazing music. The story is a bit flimsy at times, but a bunch of pretty girls in the cast makes up for it. It's worth a watch, for the soundtrack alone.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
Genejoke at 8:41AM, Jan. 22, 2015
(online)
JustNoPoint wrote:
Well, I got myself banned from Comic Fury too Iron Scarf and Skullbie. I didn't mean to do so. I didn't know I was doing it. But I did it :S

http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fcomicfury.com%2Fforum%2Fviewthread.php%3Fid%3D20066%26page%3D2
I bet the ban list is gigantic there.

I miss old DD. I want to just post my comic here (which I actually am :P) but I want it to be my main site again. I miss being able to edit our html. I miss being able to link to my comic here and be proud it's hosted here. I miss having a large community that tries to build each other up. Allows diverse opinions. A site and community that tries to promote the comics it hosts and isn't just a host/hub that happens to have a forum on it.
I miss Used Books, and Amanda. School Monkey, OzoneOcean, Greyman, Patrick Devine, Due East, Skullbie. I miss that comic that used all the same images to make their comic that everyone hated and it was always number 1 and had the most volatile comments section in history.

I miss Charby calling this home. Going to conventions with fellow DDers.

I miss all you guys I'm not listing. I miss these forums having more than 1 active thread! I miss the awards, and being excited about featured comics.

I don't know. Should I just post my comic and not worry about getting as big as I was back in our prime? Not having the audience I had. Do comics here still get large followings of commenters with who all is left?

I have access to everything on this bloody site. I'm even a frikin admin and I feel I can't do anything. I should be using the admin powers to help Ozone, poor guy is such a trooper. I feel so lost man, y'know.

Anyway, I don't know why I started going into all that. I just want you guys to know I loves ya! I really need to think of a way to use all the access I have to get this site back on track. Start saving money or something to hire a coder (are we at a place that could even be possible Oz?)

I don't know how the ads thing would work. Old DD had ads. I never minded them. I'd think if the site could gain more visitors the amount of ads could actually go down just a bit?

I guess that's my general discussion for the day.
I just skimmed through that and I am wondering how you got a ban for that. You were nothing but polite. Damn that site is fucked up now.
Genejoke at 8:51AM, Jan. 22, 2015
(online)
Banes wrote:

I thought Coven was okay, probably better than the one before it, but very different. Loved the first series. The new one sounds good but I will wait so I can binge watch it.
Froggtreecomics at 10:19AM, Jan. 22, 2015
(offline)
I thought Coven was quite funny, but the new series of AHS set in the carnival bored the proverbial off me.
bravo1102 at 11:40AM, Jan. 22, 2015
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Dario Argento's Susperia is a pretty well regarded and famous horror film with a witch.
I haven't seen it… or maybe I have, I don't recall. The witch probably wiped it from my brain! :D
Definitely Suspiria. Even if nothing else as Koratz says it is pretty to look at. And it got 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. I thought it had been made earlier than 1977 feels so much like classic 1960's Italian horror but then it was intended as sort of a tribute?
fallopiancrusader at 4:09PM, Jan. 22, 2015
(offline)
Goblin, the group that did the soundtrack to Suspiria, is pretty legendary too. American Horror story is a cut above most of what's available on TV, but I feel that Coven was by far the best. (At least so far: I'll have to wait until season four comes out on Netflix.)
last edited on Jan. 22, 2015 4:10PM
Banes at 6:57PM, Jan. 22, 2015
(offline)
Damn…Suspiria! I gotta see that. Can't believe I haven't. I didn't even realize it had a witch theme.

Hmmm…maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh on Coven. It's better TV than I'll ever make! And a lot of the acting was stellar.

enh…I still hated it. XD

…Though seeing Angela Bassett in something was awesome. She's phenomenal. Ditto Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange.

last edited on Jan. 22, 2015 6:58PM
Ozoneocean at 8:07PM, Jan. 22, 2015
(online)
Psycho Pass is a pretty good anime.
The story has elements of Minority Report, Demolition Man, Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell.
It's not as inteligent as those two Masumune Shirrow pieces though unfortunately, my guess is that the writer is a bit young and inexpereinced. It's frustrating… it has all the elements to be GREAT but doesn't quite make it because the writer doesn't do all the thinking they need to make the story tight enough.
It's like muslin weave as oposed to satin; too loose. That's not a great trait on an intelectual scifi crime thriller.

It's good though in spite of the faults. You just have to turn off the brain a little bit… which is hard because unlike a lot of stuff this show IS trying to be smart, it just falls a little short of the mark at times.
Ironscarf at 4:42AM, Jan. 23, 2015
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
Damn that site is fucked up now.
In the work I'm doing now, researching the reputation of websites and their owners is a major factor in assessing their quality. If everyone could follow Genejoke's example, our job would be a lot easier.

Sorry this is not witch related, unless like me, you think steam irons are the devil's work. What is the point, except to make your life more miserable? They work for about a week (water is very hard in London) before completely scaling up and steaming no longer. After that you've just got an unnecessarily heavy and awkward tool that won't steam, but spits the occasional gob of brown goop over your white shirts, just to remind you you've been duped again. It's the laundry equivalent of the disposable razor with five blades (why oh why?) and the useless lubricating snotstrip.

So anyway, I bought that seldom seen (in the western world) tool, the dry iron. It's just an iron. I am a happy camper.
last edited on Jan. 23, 2015 4:44AM
bravo1102 at 4:03PM, Jan. 23, 2015
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
Sorry this is not witch related, unless like me, you think steam irons are the devil's work. What is the point, except to make your life more miserable? They work for about a week (water is very hard in London) before completely scaling up and steaming no longer. After that you've just got an unnecessarily heavy and awkward tool that won't steam, but spits the occasional gob of brown goop over your white shirts,
This is why you use distilled water in the steam iron as recommended. Water in Pennsylvania was very mineral rich so my grandmother always had distilled water for the iron even after we moved to NJ. Or you distill your own by boiling the water vigorously for a few minutes then bottling it and using it as necessary.

Distilled water is also preferable to tap water for thinning many acrylic paints. You don't want to be airbrushing and have the airbrush scale up and spit globs and streaks.
Skullbie at 4:26PM, Jan. 23, 2015
(online)
I can't believe how much shit happens around my house. I get a call from my uncle saying to lock my front door, and i'm like ‘wtf’. I head to look out the window and there's a huge police blockade next door; sheriffs out with dogs and shotguns prowling the area. Weird thing is I didn't hear them come at all! But yeah apparently there's a wanted felon on the loose, dunno what he did but they aint carrying pistols.

As of now the sheriffs all left and there's a helicopter circling, so I don't think they got him. I'm gonna be jumpy all night, ugh, I need to move.
Ironscarf at 5:23PM, Jan. 23, 2015
(offline)
Good grief Skullbie, I hope everything is alright.
bravo1102 wrote:

This is why you use distilled water in the steam iron as recommended. Water in Pennsylvania was very mineral rich so my grandmother always had distilled water for the iron even after we moved to NJ. Or you distill your own by boiling the water vigorously for a few minutes then bottling it and using it as necessary.
Distilled water is also preferable to tap water for thinning many acrylic paints. You don't want to be airbrushing and have the airbrush scale up and spit globs and streaks.

And that's another thing! They claim their irons are ‘anti-scale’ and ‘self cleaning’ and don't require any special treatment, but you know full well you'll have to start up a small distillery to keep the thing running. Well I won't stand for it any more. I'm not going to be pushed around by five bladed disposable razors, tinpot dictators or irons who think they know more about scarves than I do!
Skullbie at 3:28PM, Jan. 24, 2015
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
Good grief Skullbie, I hope everything is alright.
They caught the dude, not around my area, but about 100 miles away. Guy killed his mother and sister, apparently a mental case. Fuckin'A
Ozoneocean at 8:45PM, Jan. 24, 2015
(online)
That's an extremly crazy man.
Like that freak who chopped off his mum's head with an axe.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon