Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The Great Big Duck Fan Art Thread
Sway at 5:10PM, May 25, 2015
(online)
So, despite the fact that I'm relatively new as a creator in The Duck community, I've been a reader for much longer. Over the years, I've had the privalege of seeing some fantastic creations take shape. I've seen artist talents grow, plots deepen, and creativity flourish. There is an incredible amount of talent here on The Duck, and those talents have given birth to some truly amazing stories.
-
This is where we celebrate them. Welcome to the Great Big Duck Fan Art Thread. Here, the community has a stage on which it can celebrate its favorite sons and daughters through the ancient act of homage.
-
Fan art does a couple of things: for those creating the fan art, it allows you to move outside of your comfort zone. You may know your own characters like the back of your hand, but adapting your style to fit the designs of another artist can be challenging. And, when done well, it can be rewarding - and sometimes surprising in what it draws out of you. For those who have the privalege of seeing their creations turned into fan art, it's a big ego boost. Finally somebody thinks we're cool!
-
Couple of ground rules:
1. THIS THREAD IS FOR DUCK FAN ART ONLY. I know you have a thousand different Doctor Who sketches just burning a hole in your pocket, and for that, DeviantArt waits with open arms. Here, we're specifically going to only be doing homages to creators on the Duck. If you can't find it in the search bar above, it doesn't belong here.
2. DON'T BE A DICK. We're all precious about what we publish here. Let's not get weird or nasty with what we bring to the thread. This is meant to be a place of celebration, after all. Of course, it goes without saying, that the original creators hold all the cards when it comes to what pops up here. If an artist is uncomfortable with you posting fan art of their comic, and they ask you to take it down, take it down.
3. HAVE FUN.Hopefully there is going to be a lot of high-fiving in this thread. Congratulate each other; honor each other. Try new art styles! Let's really celebrate this thriving community that we're all a part of here!
-
Now, all that done, I'll get us started…
-
First up is my homage toKimLuster's THE GODSTRAIN. I'm sure you're all familiar with the comic, but if you aren't, change that asap. It's a really well written, and beautifully illustrated project that makes fantastic use of traditional watercolors. The comic is anchored by its protagonist, Kimber Lee, who bucks a lot of the negative tropes of female representation in comicdom by being a proactive, effective, and non-traditional hero. When I was putting together this piece, I tried to pay special attention to how KimLuster herself illustrates The Godstrain. There's a definite focus on musculature, which I tried to replicate. Also, though digital watercoloring doesn't hold a candle to the real deal, I wanted to make at least a token effort in keeping up with that visual asthetic.
AFTER KIMLUSTER
-
Next up is fan art for Pit-Face's PUTRID MEAT. This comic is, by far, one of my favorite on the site. As a kid who grew up in the mosh pits, I absolutely love the visual style of it. You can practically smell the whiskey and denim on every page. Pit-Face has a really interesting art style, one which very deliberately falls in line with work done by artists like Ed Roth. When putting together this piece of the lead character of Putrid Meat, Bones, I tried to keep that in mind by designing an image that looked like it could be a sticker you might find on the bottom of a skateboard, or a patch sewn onto an old leather jacket.

AFTER PIT-FACE
-
Alright! That's all for now. I very much look forward to what all of you crazy kids bring to the table! NOW GO GET YOUR ART ON.
-S
last edited on May 25, 2015 5:30PM
KimLuster at 7:06PM, May 25, 2015
(online)
WOW!! This in incredible!! What a fantastic job on both of these…! And it's a true honor to see my character here!! Thank You!! I'll certainly be contributing to this soon!!
HippieVan at 7:37PM, May 25, 2015
(online)
Great idea for a thread! Might have to sticky this (or do we have too many stickies?). Totally approve of your fanart choices, too - both awesome ladies with kick-ass comics!
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
KimLuster at 6:07PM, May 26, 2015
(online)

This thread inspired me to do a fan art of someone I've wanted to do for quite a long time: Saray from Skyangel's comic, ‘Simply Sarah’
I love Sky's comic and her character! So much tension and drama, but it never feels too thick - it feels real. And so lovingly rendered - there is some talented artistry going into that thing…!
This dress is inspired by some polka-dot dresses I saw Lucille Ball wearing for her ‘I Love Lucy’ character (it is hard to separate them) - if you've been reading ‘Simply Sarah’ recently then you know the inspiration behind this!
Sway at 7:08PM, May 26, 2015
(online)
Wow! Really nice work, especially with her face. And it's such a different style from The Godstrain! Great job!
fallopiancrusader at 4:55PM, May 30, 2015
(offline)
Every super-hero has to have a signature conveyance, so here's the Harlot rolling up to the crime scene on the Harlot-Cycle.
last edited on Nov. 6, 2020 1:36PM
KimLuster at 7:35PM, May 30, 2015
(online)
That is just incredible FC!! and so cool…!!! *speaks in Schwarzenegger voice* “Heah comes da Hah-lot…! On da Choppa..!!”
Sway at 9:35PM, May 30, 2015
(online)
WOW. I am completetly blown away over here. That is AMAZING. I'll be honest; I started this thread because there are a lot of comics here on the duck that I really admire, and I wanted to take a crack at supporting them through fanart. That being said, I never actually expected anyone to do art for The Harlot. Mainly because it's so early in its run, and secondly because, well, the main character has some wardrobe things going on that would turn away a lot of artists. Needless to say, I am head-over-heels at your contribution, fallopiancrusader. That an artist as talented as yourself would spend time creating a piece based on my silly boner comic is a HUGE honor. Thank you so, so much.
PIT_FACE at 12:36AM, May 31, 2015
(online)
Man that Bones button is awesome! Man, whatta treat! Thank you, I'm really, very flattered.

Man, I oughta think of something to contribute now.

Ozoneocean at 6:56AM, May 31, 2015
(online)
OK, this was for Gnoph, by Mina Lunga. http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Gnoph/
It's the title character Abbey. She has a parasite that looks like a mantis shrimp loving in her body that gives her special abilities and feeds off her body fat. This is Abey as if she was in her 20s.

This is Abby Sanders, from Abby Sanders, Lawyer to the Supernatural by SKoolmunkee. http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Abby_Sanders_Lawyer_to_the_Supernatural/
It's a gag strip about a sardonic lawyer and the idosynchratic problems of supernatural fellons.

This is Leliafrom UNA Frontiers by Coydog. http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/UNA_Frontiers_Commentary/
It's a post apocalyptic world where North America is ruled over by the cruel reigime of the New Aztec empire from the South. People are fighting to free themselves with the help of recovered tech from new Atlantis- people who weahered the breakdown of society in an undersea settlement.

This is Cy, a robotic inteligent creature from the same comic.

Lastly, I did a 4 page arc for Putrid Meat:
1 http://ozoneocean.deviantart.com/art/Putrid-meat-VS-Pinky-TA-1-151224898
2 http://ozoneocean.deviantart.com/art/Putrid-meat-VS-Pinky-TA-2-151225020?q=gallery%3Aozoneocean%2F22577915
Some of this situation happened in real life… Pitface nipple-crippled me so hard I almost got breast cancer.
last edited on May 31, 2015 12:57PM
Genejoke at 8:01AM, May 31, 2015
(online)

These are some of the fan arts I have made for others.
go on, try and name the comics…
last edited on May 31, 2015 10:15PM
Sway at 3:47PM, May 31, 2015
(online)
Wow! Some really fantastic work here. And also, for a relative newbie such as myself, education as well. Some of the fanart here has led me to some comics I probably never would have stumbled upon on my own. Excellent work, all!
tupapayon at 4:41PM, May 31, 2015
(online)
This looks like fun… now hat i feel better, I'll do some fun art… or is it fan art… maybe both?… I'll just call it FArt… F. Art…
Sway at 9:15PM, May 31, 2015
(online)
Here's Khthonis from fallopiancrusader's RIMJOB! Part of the fun of doing fanart is it really makes you get a new appreciation for the work that an artist puts into developing a character. For example, fallopiancrusader has a dynamite eye for anatomy, and that really adds to Khthonis' design. She's not your normal, waifish lady comic character; she's well-toned, fit, and imposing. Additionally, I was having a hard time nailing down the look of Khthonis' face… until I realized that fallopiancrusader really put a lot of effort into giving her these big, expressive almost Disney-esque eyes, which are a huge part of making the character come together. Like, she's such a powerful character, but her eyes give her some unexpected and nuanced layers to her personality. Now, obviously I'm not as skilled at photorealistic rendering as FC is, but I made an attempt at someone playing off the design choices that they developed. Put Kthonis next to the Harlot, and you'll see two women of extremely different physiques. Lastly, I made a token effort at mimicking the greyscale coloring done in Rimjob.
AFTER FALOPIANCRUSADER

-S
last edited on May 31, 2015 9:16PM
KimLuster at 3:53AM, June 1, 2015
(online)
Fantatic renderings here…! Oh and the best way to do Kthonis's face is to think Betty Page with an underbite! (that's from FC himself) Not that you needed any tips, Sway - yours is great!! The pure b/w line art does remind me of another rather attractive female Orc here on the DD - a comic called ‘Elspeth’ http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Elspeth/ Don't worry about the comparison - I've made the exact same one to FC already!
last edited on June 1, 2015 3:54AM
Sway at 9:15AM, June 1, 2015
(online)
Oh yeah, I was definitely aware of the Betty Page influence! I was just struck when doing research on my piece how much Khthonsis' eyes add to her character. They're really a successful part of her design. And to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that their design “softened” her character by referring to them as being Disney-esque. Everybody knows that Khthonis is as hardcore as they come! And I love the art in Elspeth. Definitely going to add that to my reading list. The Great Big Duck Fan Art has definitely already paid off for me, at least in terms of making me aware of comics I would have never otherwised stumbled across! Thanks!
fallopiancrusader at 10:05AM, June 1, 2015
(offline)
I love it! You did a great job of capturing her physique, and her balance of intimidating and adorable. A side-by-side comparison of Khthonis and the Harlot would indeed be amusing. Maybe they should have an affair some time…
last edited on June 1, 2015 11:44AM
Sway at 5:59PM, June 1, 2015
(online)
Ha! Now THAT would be a hell of a team-up.
fallopiancrusader at 8:54PM, June 6, 2015
(offline)
Here's my steamy rendition of Asmael, from Rettubia:
last edited on Nov. 6, 2020 1:37PM
Sway at 10:58PM, June 6, 2015
(online)
Absolutely gorgeous work as always, falopiancrusader. I never stop being impressed by your amazing grasp of anatomy. I know in the “Why Do You Make A Webcomic” thread, you made mention of having a degree in art and trying your hand at traditional art. That classical training definitely shows through in the quality of your work.
Szyszka666 at 4:11AM, June 7, 2015
(online)
fallopiancrusader, this. Is. AMAZING! I don't have enough words to say how much I love it :) I think You,re one of the most talented people here and I'm very pleased that You choose one of my characters to show Your skills and talent :D Thank You!
KimLuster at 5:07AM, June 7, 2015
(online)
That is jaw-dropping!!!! FC, I hope someday your schedule and energy allows you to do a new comic - even if it's just ink line art!!!
Szyszka666 at 9:13AM, June 7, 2015
(online)
So, here is my fanart of Ronig from DeadFingers by Peipei. I really like this character and wanted to do this wor some time now.
Great work on this character and the whole comic Peipei!
KimLuster at 9:22AM, June 7, 2015
(online)
Fantastic! And you really caught Ron's smugness too!!
Peipei at 1:58PM, June 7, 2015
(offline)
Wow! Never knew this thread existed! xD Thanks for the Ron fanart, he's perfect! :D

Sway at 5:52PM, June 7, 2015
(online)
Wonderful work, Szyzska666! Very well done.
Soda-Pop at 2:48AM, Nov. 6, 2015
(offline)
Hey all!
I'd like to draw attention to a piece of art issued to me by a certain Mr/Miss. NudeTitis who produces the webcomic http://theduckwebcomics.com/Pride_and_Prejudice_and_Poontang/.

It is a rendering of my own creation Scarlet Vixen http://theduckwebcomics.com/Scarlet_Vixen/ and I hope you'll take the time to stop by both should you get the chance/are over 18/not at work.
X
Sophie.
last edited on Nov. 6, 2015 2:57AM
Call Me Tom at 9:32AM, Nov. 9, 2015
(offline)
I seem to have lost most of the fanart I've done over the years….
Still I have some silly crossovers with KimLusters Godstrain… That counts right?

I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
usedbooks at 6:26AM, Nov. 10, 2015
(online)
I love fan art! Haven't done any at DD for a while. I did a trade recently, but no DD takers (just dA). Here's some of my older fan art. So, um. Older. Not great art. :P

This one is super old, from the first year I was on DD. It was a fan art trade with a comic called Horizon. Not sure where all my fan art from back in the day is, but I did a lot. I needed the practice. :P

KimLuster at 7:38AM, Nov. 10, 2015
(online)
Love all this - I really need to try to find the time to do more fanart!!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon