Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Lost in Translation
Gunwallace at 11:32AM, Dec. 10, 2015
(offline)
I came across this wonderful link (http://www.nickstember.com/chinese-star-wars-comic-part-1-6/) yesterday. A Chinese comic adaptation of Star Wars (A New Hope) drawn by someone who hadn't seen the movies and appears to have had limited source material to draw from.
That reminded me of Jack Kirby's wonderfully weird version of 2001 : A Space Odyssey, which took the prose and movie versions into even stranger places.
I was wondering if anyone had other examples of comic book adaptations that were ‘Lost in Translation’ when being made into comics?
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
last edited on Dec. 10, 2015 11:33AM
Genejoke at 2:38PM, Dec. 10, 2015
(online)
that's nuts. really good take on things, it's cool seeing it through very different eyes.
Ozoneocean at 7:21PM, Dec. 10, 2015
(online)
Wow! Looks like he just swiped any pop-culture images he could to represent stuff he was unfammilare with. Instead of making his own designs he just coppied whatever he felt like.
- Stardestoryer = Space battleship Yomato
- Rebel frigate = Skylab
- Princes Liea = woman in a Spanish Matador jacket. (probably from a magazine ad) He look changes depending on what art he was copying from at the time though.
- Rebels = dressed in US high altitude flight suits.
- Stormtroopers = BobbaFett.
- Droid escape pod = Mercury reentry module.

And more and more and more… wierd! Reminds me of how prop artists used to make spaceships out of recognisable WW2 model kits and household items.
-As indeed were most of the props in Starwars, with the guns being barely changed from the real designs they were based on…
last edited on Dec. 10, 2015 7:28PM
bravo1102 at 2:42AM, Dec. 11, 2015
(offline)
How about the English dub of Space Cruiser Yamato, Star Blazers? Or the first dub of Nausica “Warriors of the Wind” or the dub of My Youth in Arcadia, “ Vengeance of the Space Pirate ”?

Some butchered scenes and lost sequences and you're like WTF? Then I see a subbed uncut version and it's “oh so that's what that meant!”
bravo1102 at 6:00AM, Dec. 11, 2015
(offline)
Another was “Clash of the Bionoids” which a re cut dub of “Macross : Do you remember love” To illustrate how edited it was the subbed version is more than 20 minutes longer.

It was especially funny because the dub voice actors were Australian.
last edited on Dec. 11, 2015 6:01AM
tupapayon at 5:20PM, Dec. 11, 2015
(online)
It is understandable that many things would change (or got lost) in translation…
Consider that it is not only words what it's been translated… you're communicating ideas, concepts, into a different culture (sometimes really, really different) and it has to be done in a reduced space where footnotes or explanations have to be short (if at all present)…
Ozoneocean at 6:54PM, Dec. 11, 2015
(online)
In Gunwallace's example the translation of the Star Wars story is pretty much the same as the real thing. The only real difference ia the imagery: the artist was the translator there. He/she obviously didn't have access to any of the original art except for pics of Darth Vader and Bobba Fett so they used whatever they found in magazines and books for the rest.

It's a really cool approach to the lost in translation idea.
KimLuster at 8:57PM, Dec. 11, 2015
(online)
It's pretty awesome! I'd admire his attempt to build the story with what he had to work with, but I smiled every time I saw any sort of anachronism(“Kennedy Space Center” lol)… He certainly a talented artist - I know that!!
bravo1102 at 5:52AM, Dec. 12, 2015
(offline)
The artist also had pictures of most of the droids from both the first and second movies. His interpretation of the Jawa crawler matches one of the very early concept drawings. Ralph MacQuarrie did a few illos very early in the design process and one wonders how well that movie would have worked instead of the look they ended up with.

And then there are the samurai snow troopers from Empire and other abandoned concepts. Like what if they had retained Jabba as a fat Cockney guy in a fur coat?

It's kind of cool to go aorund and look at foregin posters of familar movies. Then there are posters for movies that have no realtion to what actually appeared on screen. The artist just took one concept and ran with it like the Metaluna mutant from This Island Earth.or Robbie the Robot in Forbidden Planet.
Gunwallace at 10:46AM, Dec. 12, 2015
(offline)
Kirby's 2001 is a strange, strange beast. The translation is from Clarke via Kubrick to the weirdness of Kirby's extended universe, and his characteristic way of drawing people and things. Even the way he drew the monoliths is just so Kirby.
Another example would be how a comic book retelling of War of the Worlds became the comic Killraven, and how P. Craig Russell's art developed over that run.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
tupapayon at 3:03PM, Dec. 12, 2015
(online)
Someetimes this “translations” end up being very different. Maybe, instead of using the word ‘translation’ we should use the word ‘adaptation’, that'd be closer to what it is actually happening. But then again, it's more fun to say ‘lost in translation’ than ‘lost in adaptation’…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon