Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2016 Rant/Share/General Discussion Thread
HippieVan at 1:14PM, May 30, 2016
(online)
I had a dream last night that I thought Ironscarf was my cousin who lives in England. Not that he actually was my cousin, just that I mistakenly thought so for a while and then remembered that he wasn't.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Ironscarf at 1:23PM, May 30, 2016
(offline)
Since it would be quite a lengthy process to establish that we're not cousins, I'm going to say we are and it'll take more than a dream to convince me otherwise!
HippieVan at 2:18PM, May 30, 2016
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
Since it would be quite a lengthy process to establish that we're not cousins, I'm going to say we are and it'll take more than a dream to convince me otherwise!

Haha! Totally plausible.

Actually, I recently had a friend of mine try to convince me that he was related to a famous historical figure because they had an ancestor from the same country that he's from. I was like “sure, if it makes you happy.”
Ironscarf at 4:13PM, May 30, 2016
(offline)
You already have relations around these parts don't you Hippie? Have I ever told you, you look suspiciously like my Nan?
HippieVan at 10:25PM, May 30, 2016
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
You already have relations around these parts don't you Hippie? Have I ever told you, you look suspiciously like my Nan?

I do! I have actual cousins over there, which is why it made sense in my dream. Apparently all Englishpeople are interchangeable in my imagination.
bravo1102 at 2:05AM, May 31, 2016
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:

That is quite true. Once you get out into sixth cousins and seventh and eighth degrees of separation it's hard to find people who aren't related.

Hawaiians call all fellow Americans “cousin” because we all have one uncle. Uncle Sam.

Though of course that doesn't apply to you citizens of the UK and its dominions.

By the way, my branch of my family are very distant cousins of the royals. We married into it back in the Tudor days. Yippee! Most of the population of England would have to die before the crown got anywhere near me. But there is a seat in the House of Lords I could claim after several thousand deaths.
last edited on May 31, 2016 2:08AM
Lonnehart at 2:33AM, May 31, 2016
(online)
And now I'm kinda hoping I'm not related to any of Magellan's men. Y'know… when he visited the Philippines and his men “relaxed” with the local female populace…
Ozoneocean at 3:56AM, May 31, 2016
(online)
British people are all “subjects” ;)
ayesinback at 10:45AM, May 31, 2016
(online)
My brother has looked into ancestry and has shared some of our tenuous ties. We're fourth cousins, five times removed from Davy Crockett, slightly more closely tied to Abraham Lincoln, and even more closely to William Penn.

The most fun factoid is that we are descended from some guy in Medieval France who was entitled “The Rude”. I imagine that you can't get much ruder that someone the French deem rude.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
bravo1102 at 4:54PM, May 31, 2016
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
British people are all “subjects” ;)

I unwittingly gave them a promotion? Sorry guys but you have to remain subjects of HM Elizabeth II. ;)

And I can remain a citizen of a democratic Republic. So the government can't restrict various freedoms but every private institution can and does.
Ozoneocean at 8:18PM, May 31, 2016
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
So the government can't restrict various freedoms but every private institution can and does.
Very cannily said!
ayesinback wrote:
The most fun factoid is that we are descended from some guy in Medieval France who was entitled “The Rude”. I imagine that you can't get much ruder that someone the French deem rude.
“Rude” had a couple of meanings back then I think…
It's related to “rudimentary”, it can mean “rough”, “course”, “crude”, “simple”, “basic”, “nasty”: Not only in the literal sense of what those words mean but also the symbolic meanings.
So he could have been a nasty, uncouth man, or a simple, rough hewn, brash sort of fellow maybe?
I LOVE the English language and how varied the meanings can be ^_^
Genejoke at 9:58AM, June 1, 2016
(online)
Hah, the ancestry thing is interesting… well elements of mine are but it only goes so far. Most interesting part of mine is the Russian aspect as my great grandfather escaped a Gulag and hiked across Siberia eating roots and made his way to England and changed his surname to what my family name is now and so on.

My battle with anxiety etc had been going well. I even secured myself a new job which paid very well, but anxiety got the better of me and I never even made it to start working. Dammit! I guess I wasn't as ready as I thought.
bravo1102 at 4:50PM, June 1, 2016
(offline)
I have some ancestors on my mother's side who were sent to Siberia where they were never heard from again.

My great great grandfather Augustus on my father's side was supposedly a very rude fellow. He was kicked out of the North Carolina volunteers during the Mexican American War but still managed to obtain a pension. He was every bit the rough hewn, curmudgeonly type. The stories of the bouts of melancholy start with his son. So it turns out depression runs in the family.
last edited on June 1, 2016 4:51PM
Ironscarf at 6:23PM, June 1, 2016
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
“Rude” had a couple of meanings back then I think…
It's related to “rudimentary”, it can mean “rough”, “course”, “crude”, “simple”, “basic”, “nasty”: Not only in the literal sense of what those words mean but also the symbolic meanings.
So he could have been a nasty, uncouth man, or a simple, rough hewn, brash sort of fellow maybe?
I LOVE the English language and how varied the meanings can be ^_^

Don't forget the other meaning - healthy, as in “He enjoyed a sort of rude health on account of his eating mainly grasshoppers”. Maybe he was just very keen on excercise and healthy eating?

I haven't been back too far with ancestors, but the ones I've heard about seem more sociable than rude, such as the coachman who ran over the highwaymen attempting to hold him up. Apparently, he was so drunk at the reins, he neither saw them or heard them shouting stand and deliver.
Lonnehart at 10:23PM, June 2, 2016
(online)
Well… read an old article about a well known former Trademark Troll named Timothy Langdell. Obviously NOT a game developer, but he trademarked the word “Edge” and all of its similar forms in order to sue any game company that used the word in the title but has never made a game himself. And apparently he had two programmers working for him while in England only to sell their work for himself and fleeing England so he wouldn't be forced to pay them.

He could've kept going as a Trademark Troll but decided he could sue a company as big as Electronic Arts. It was like poking a very hungry grizzly bear with a stick. You can guess how that went down…

And I'm surprised he didn't get into more trouble for evidence he apparently fabricated to defend his ownership of the trademark…

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/16/tim-langdell-loses-in-future-edge-trial/#more-62378

I wonder though… where is he now? Hopefully on the run from all the companies he sued over a common word that should not have been trademarked in the first place…
last edited on June 2, 2016 10:24PM
Ozoneocean at 11:42AM, June 4, 2016
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
I haven't been back too far with ancestors, but the ones I've heard about seem more sociable than rude, such as the coachman who ran over the highwaymen attempting to hold him up. Apparently, he was so drunk at the reins, he neither saw them or heard them shouting stand and deliver.
Hahahaha! Take that Dick Turpin you piece of shit! XD

Family trees are weird… I mean the traditional idea of them is hat two ancient progenitors produce this ever expanding brood that goes down through time, generation after generation in an expanding tree-shape…

Which is all complete bullshit.
Actual family trees go the complete opposite direction. YOU are the apex of it, and after you it gets bigger and bigger as it goes back through the years, till you're related to almost everybody and the generations are thousands of people wide.
We tend to follow meandering paths of interest through those massive trees, because it's impossible to trace everyone in them so we pick out our own little paths and think that here's something special and singular about it, when really the only special thing was that we were able to trace it at all, while the rest of the gigantic tree is a complete blank to us.

I know I'm thinking too much about it.
Lonnehart at 1:49PM, June 4, 2016
(online)
Great. An old cartoon show I watched as a kid is getting a reboot. And Pixar is doing this! Even better… people who worked on Legend of Korra are working on this too! Now I have to revive my Netflix subscription because all the episodes of the show they're working on will be there… -_-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtqKaUc6Uas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MfB_0nTi-4
last edited on June 4, 2016 2:07PM
bravo1102 at 4:52PM, June 4, 2016
(offline)
Having lived with my wife's genealogy hobby and gone to several conferences (she's at one now ) I can say you're completely off track.

They get the whole expanding tree and they want to trace down every little twig going back as far as they can. Most dead end when records become scarce. Anyone saying with certainty about things before the Middle Ages is extrapolating from a few scraps of information.

Usually someone can only go back to one or two progenitors because that is the only line that can be traced. The other names of wives and children just weren't recorded. Even well known figures didn't have their births or family relationships reliably recorded and certainly not the vast multitudes. Look at Shakespeare. And it's so easy to make up family trees as was often done to trace some current king to Troy or even Adam and Eve.

So they track down whatever branch they can and expand it out as far as they can constantly looking for more scraps of information to add more and more branches out into some mitochondrial eve in Africa hundreds of thousands of years ago. And she may have only been one of several .
last edited on June 4, 2016 4:56PM
Ozoneocean at 5:13PM, June 4, 2016
(online)
That's exactly what I was saying though Bravo!
We can only trace back so far because all the other parts of the tree are blank to us. So we develop an artificial picture of tree shape with two people at the top, just because that's as far back as we can go.
If there are more results we develop artificial lines of importance, like tracing down from the “male line”, as if that matters…

The data is still genuine, but the way we look at it is all a cultural construction.
bravo1102 at 5:28PM, June 4, 2016
(offline)
Those two people at the top are usually a couple whose arrival someplace was recorded. Migration is a constant. So the tree goes back to the guy and his often nameless wife who came someplace hoping for a better life.

Genealogy is a cultural construction that is nearly universal among the whole species from Africa to Asia and the Pacific rim. So if all those cultures make the same thing again and again there is probably something deeper at work. If every time you make a wheel it's still round, it could be because physical laws of motion indicate round things roll better.
CZweig at 10:35PM, June 4, 2016
(online)
just gonna casually slide in and drop this little anecdote here.

So we just bought a house and spent the weekend moving in from our apartment. Hooray? Well, after dealing with my boyfriend messing up the moving truck reservation and getting a truck half the size of the one we needed, me coming down with bronchitis they day of the move, the seller nearly getting in a fight with us after we pointed out that the windows weren't fixed to the specifications he had claimed, and a good 15-minute panic attack when I thought one of my cats had gone missing (spoiler: she was behind the washing machine), we finally threw a blanket and some pillows atop our mattress and eagerly called it a night…

… for about three hours. Surprise! Our new neighbor has a pet rooster! A pet rooster that likes to gargle around right outside the master bedroom window!

We're referring to it as Richard. For obvious, nickname-related purposes :P
hi
Ozoneocean at 11:16PM, June 4, 2016
(online)
CZweig wrote:
HAHAHAHA! What a dick cock! XD
Congrats on moving to your new house!
Bruno Harm at 12:33PM, June 6, 2016
(offline)
My last name is Shearin, and now everybody asks me if I'm related to the Singer (Ed Sheeran). At first I didn't know about the guy and was like “I have a great uncle named Ed, How'd you know?”
It's everywhere I go now. the grocery store, vendors at work. I'm going to start saying yes and making up fun holiday stories.
Gunwallace at 1:36PM, June 6, 2016
(offline)
CZweig wrote:
just gonna casually slide in and drop this little anecdote here.

So we just bought a house …. Surprise! Our new neighbor has a pet rooster! A pet rooster that likes to gargle around right outside the master bedroom window!

Congrats on the house, and commiserations on the rooster. Does your neighbour also have chickens? ‘Cause at least then you might get some eggs for your troubles. If not, consider getting some chickens yourself. Or a velociraptor. Or just a cat named ’Velociraptor'.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
bravo1102 at 5:04PM, June 6, 2016
(offline)
My sister in law is looking at getting chickens. Just hens though she doesn't want any crowing. Of course her town is known for its growing population of foxes. I see them every night at work.
bravo1102 at 5:12PM, June 6, 2016
(offline)
Bruno Harm wrote:
My last name is Shearin, and now everybody asks me if I'm related to the Singer (Ed Sheeran). At first I didn't know about the guy and was like “I have a great uncle named Ed, How'd you know?”

I share my name with an entertainer and song stylist. I have gotten phone calls asking if I was “Steve Willoughby the entertainer. ”

——-
On a different note I saw the first two episodes of new season of Game of Thrones. And last night had a dream where I was drenched in blood and looking for a weapon to take my vengeance and a clean bathroom because I had to urinate. On top of that my father and brother were insisting I type reports for them or the mob would come finish the job on me.
last edited on June 6, 2016 5:14PM
Lonnehart at 9:00PM, June 6, 2016
(online)
Gunwallace wrote:
Or a velociraptor. Or just a cat named ‘Velociraptor’.

Would a guinea pig named “Velociraptor” make for a great pet? :)
HippieVan at 9:03PM, June 6, 2016
(online)
Super stressful week. I've been neglecting you guys a bit.

My dad went to cash out an RESP that he and my mom had opened years ago for my two sisters and me. Unfortunately it was in both my parents' names, and my mom insisted to the people at the bank (without discussing with any of us) that half of the money be sent to her, and half to my dad. Since then she's refused to answer text messages and emails from myself, my sisters and my dad, other than a vague assertion to my younger sister that she is planning on “reinvesting” it. Basically she seems to have absconded with our university money. So that's super shitty. After two messages with no response, I sent her a third one just telling her that I'm done. It's sort of a relief in a way, but I've always been waiting for the sky to fall every day since.
Lonnehart at 1:37PM, June 7, 2016
(online)
HippieVan wrote:

My dad went to cash out an RESP that he and my mom had opened years ago for my two sisters and me. Unfortunately it was in both my parents' names, and my mom insisted to the people at the bank (without discussing with any of us) that half of the money be sent to her, and half to my dad. Since then she's refused to answer text messages and emails from myself, my sisters and my dad, other than a vague assertion to my younger sister that she is planning on “reinvesting” it. Basically she seems to have absconded with our university money. So that's super shitty. After two messages with no response, I sent her a third one just telling her that I'm done. It's sort of a relief in a way, but I've always been waiting for the sky to fall every day since.

Owch… yikes… Honestly, I didn't think mothers could do that to their own children. If my mother were alive now and read this, she'd be horrified… O_O

Hopefully you have other sources of income to draw upon for your university years. :(
last edited on June 7, 2016 4:13PM
subcultured at 4:19PM, June 7, 2016
(online)
HippieVan wrote:

Sorry this happened…
Money and family doesn't mix well

I've learned that in the past
J

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon