Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What are you watching right now?
totallyraddad at 5:20PM, Sept. 18, 2016
(online)
im watching everything. lol. just kidding, i'm watching cupcake wars. i love the french judge.
bravo1102 at 10:50PM, Sept. 18, 2016
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:

——–

I'm watching more anime (ugh, gawd… I know).
This time the second season of Log Horizon has grabbed my interest. The show has evolved from the “real world people stuck in a computer RPG game”. They've come to think of the game reality as their own. The players are growing up there and having life experiences… There's politics, economics, policies to help the poor, it's a complex society.
There are a lot of characters in this show and they're all developing into fun familiar figures.

Another one was There's Gonna Be Twin Tails!
This was an action techno-magical girl genderswap fighting show. But what it REALLY is is just a massive spoof on all those genres. A good old crazy spoof anime that laughs at itself a bit too much. It was a good bit of fun.
I love that all the bad guys are basically extreme parodies of the fans of the very genres the show is lampooning! They're all crazy perverts, it's hilarious.

I finished Twin Tails and there is a second season expected. Very funny and thank you for recommending it.

I have started Log Horizon and it is interesting.

And then I've been watching every single Clint Eastwood western and all the Dirty Harry movies.
moizmad at 6:20PM, Oct. 5, 2016
(online)
THE FALL - with Gillian Anderson, Jamie Dornan. A serial killer is on the loose in Belfast and Gillian is put in charge to find the killer. There's no secret to the viewer who it is but very interesting to observe how he balances his family life, his work and his horrifying obsession with murdering women.
Banes at 7:10PM, Oct. 5, 2016
(offline)
Luke Cage. It started a little slow, though from the jump it was very good and quite…mature, I guess one could say?

But after the slowish build up in the first two eps, the third was terrific.

I also just saw The Witch. Wow, it was intense! Mismarketed as a typical jump-scare horror flick, though. It's a very unusual, slow moving but compelling creeper. Amazing characters and some chilling parts that stayed with me afterwards. A big Halloween season recommendation there!

last edited on Oct. 5, 2016 7:12PM
bravo1102 at 7:20PM, Oct. 5, 2016
(offline)
Gekken shoujo Norizaki-kun , or as I first heard about it GSN. Ozoneocean mentioned it a few posts back so I finally got the title right. But I had heard about this over a year ago and not gotten the title. It is about Japanese high school students making a shoujo manga. The main character is right out of the Cromartie high school anime and the characters and situations are just as ridiculous but more believable than a fellow student being Freddie Mercury or a robot.
EssayBee at 11:30AM, Oct. 6, 2016
(offline)
Now that the new fall season has started, I'm tuning into Star Wars: Rebels, Poldark, Ash vs. Evil Dead, The Mindy Project, The Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow. The family also enjoys Bob's Burgers (if you have kids, it's kind of hard not to like). Probably start watching Supergirl again as well. I need to finish watching The Last Kingdom (love the books, and Bernard Cornwell's fiction in general), as well as Jessica Jones and Season 2 of Daredevil before moving on to Luke Cage. Just finished watching “W,” a fun Korean series (sort of a meta thriller) about a comic world overlapping with the “real” world.
bravo1102 at 5:55PM, Oct. 7, 2016
(offline)
Upotte!! If you're a 13 year old boy, this series is perfect. Cute girls and guns. Did I mention that the girls are the guns? Assault rifles to be exact.

And you learn all about the rifles in question, fire and maneuver, hand signals, even how to bolt action fire an M16A1 using the forward assist.

But they left out how to take proper immediate action and clearing. Though the parts about the teething problems of the M16 and L85 was very interesting.

Funny how all the online wiki about it miss the fact that Garand isn't really the rifle he's actually John C. Garand the weapon designer. Looks exactly like him.

Now I am back to Sword Art Online. In series 2 it gets all cyberpunk and becomes an obvious tribute to Star Wars and Jedi.
Ozoneocean at 10:59PM, Oct. 7, 2016
(online)
After you posted about SAO I started watching it again. It jusmps around a lot for me. Hard to get into because of that. I like characters in anime, and you don't really get enough time to grow with them, from what I've seen so far.
Ozoneocean at 4:29AM, Oct. 8, 2016
(online)
SAO is slowly going on me- the stories, not the characters.
As a show about an RPG world though I don't think it's as good as the others I've seen at the stage.

They haven't set up the rules of the world very well. It's all relying on viewers to fill in the details themselves- that is fine for real world settings where we already know the rules of the world (so to speak), but a videogame world has it's own specific rules that are very different from game to game.

My fave videogame show so far was Log Horizon. They established the rules of the world perfectly, that was a big pat of the story actually. It was very strategy based, which was really interesting, and the fact that they went further and thought about things like the economy, diplomacy, trade, politics and more was amazing!
On the downside there were way too many characters for me to follow and the voice acting in some cases was pretty bad.
moizmad at 7:11PM, Oct. 8, 2016
(online)
Approaching The Unknown - Mark Strong, Luke Wilson. Only 80 minutes long but seemed like 3 hrs. it's so boring. Mark is sent to Mars to set up our first human base. So many technical things wrong, no time delay with communications with Earth, artificial gravity not only on his ship but also at the ISS. Never before seen nebulae between Earth and Mars? And personally, I think he dreamed the whole thing.
bravo1102 at 9:07PM, Oct. 10, 2016
(offline)
Where I work it is best to watch everything with subtitles. So I generally watch most Japanese shows with the original soundtrack.

Dot Hack has a lot of series being that it is a shared world just like as in the news post. A series that has seen four reboots is Great Teacher Onizuka or GTO. My nephew turned me on to it as the manga had come out in English. I found the early 2000s anime and in addition there have been three live action series the most recent started in 2012-13 with another season in 2014 plus specials and a movie. If only we ever get the series promised at the end of the anime: GTO in LA.
ashtree house at 1:04PM, Oct. 12, 2016
(offline)
Westworld, ahh right up my alley. Also, James Marsden.
Banes at 1:15PM, Oct. 12, 2016
(offline)
Ashtree House wrote:

Westworld, ahh right up my alley. Also, James Marsden.

May have to check that out! I saw a bit of the original movie. And hey, James Marsden played Cyclops! Underused in the X-Men movies back in the day!

I just watched The Strange Calls. An Australian production from a few years ago that was apparently not widely seen.

It was so darn good! The cast and ‘world’ of the series was kept very small, but the characters were overstuffed with heart and charm. And a half hour is a great length for a comedy-paranormal show.

It was so disappointing to find out there was only the one six-episode season.

last edited on Oct. 12, 2016 1:16PM
Jeremy Ray at 6:53PM, Oct. 12, 2016
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Anime: Grimjar of Fantasy and Ash

This is about a bunch of kids who wake up in a fantasy land with no memory and have to get by in the usual Dungeons and Dragons inspired dungeon crawling way that you do in computer RPGs.
Except for them this RPG is solid reality.

There are a LOT of shows in that genre

Are there ever! I finished watching Re:Zero a couple days ago, which was one of my favorites when it was a murder mystery but fell apart when it wasn't. I don't know if there are more episodes planned or not. If not it's sad that they ended it where they did. We still don't know why Subaru was summoned into the fantasy world. For some odd reason he doesn't seem interested in finding out either. Nor does Beatrice, it's bizarre how disinterested she is in him. There may be reasons that are revealed later, but they've left the audience hanging a long time.

I'm currently watching Ergo Proxy, which is basically Ghost in the Shell. I'm five episodes in and I can't call it good yet, but I like Re-L's character design.

bravo1102 at 7:32PM, Oct. 12, 2016
(offline)
Grimgar is basically a war movie buddy story transposed to fantasy role playing.

The disparate characters thrown together.
The tough old hand who introduces them to their new way of life.
Coming to work as a team.
Finding out how hard it is to kill.
Getting used to it and the first one gets killed.
The ambush in the city was right out of an old episode of Combat.

And I just steal the whole plot, dress them up in WWII uniforms and call it a comic.
ayesinback at 7:34PM, Oct. 12, 2016
(online)
I am writing in here instead of keeping an eye on the movie I have playing. Guillermo Del Tortoise does creepy so well. This one is his remake of Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark.

The original (1973) had young adult Kim Darby targeted by some nasty gremlin-type creatures who lived in the nooks and crannies of her new domain. Del Torro has a young girl targeted by nasty fey. But the big difference is that atmosphere he creates, bigger than RL. And again, the house almost becomes a character itself as it embodies the history of previous inhabitants.

Last week was Crimson Peak. Costumes and details stole the film from the heroine (but then I don't have much appreciation for the acting abilities of Mia Whats-her-name), The rest of the cast was solid.

Of the two, tonight's showing is creepier, imo, probably because houses can make weird sounds, which I relate to, versus the hazards of being an orphaned heiress who transplants herself to a creepy house. But the eye candy in Crimson is luscious.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on Oct. 12, 2016 7:35PM
Ozoneocean at 9:06PM, Oct. 12, 2016
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Grimgar is basically a war movie buddy story transposed to fantasy role playing.

The disparate characters thrown together.
The tough old hand who introduces them to their new way of life.
Coming to work as a team.
Finding out how hard it is to kill.
Getting used to it and the first one gets killed.
The ambush in the city was right out of an old episode of Combat.

And I just steal the whole plot, dress them up in WWII uniforms and call it a comic.
Insightful interpretation!

Jeremy Ray wrote:
I'm currently watching Ergo Proxy, which is basically Ghost in the Shell. I'm five episodes in and I can't call it good yet, but I like Re-L's character design.

Ergo Proxy is strange. It gets stranger. Just you wait. Very different from Ghost in the Shell.
Genejoke at 11:33PM, Oct. 12, 2016
(online)
Banes wrote:
Luke Cage. It started a little slow, though from the jump it was very good and quite…mature, I guess one could say?

But after the slowish build up in the first two eps, the third was terrific.

I also just saw The Witch. Wow, it was intense! Mismarketed as a typical jump-scare horror flick, though. It's a very unusual, slow moving but compelling creeper. Amazing characters and some chilling parts that stayed with me afterwards. A big Halloween season recommendation there!

Just started Luke Cage, loving it from the get go. Love the slow build up, it relishes in the setting and characters.

Also really enjoyed Witch, very unsettling feel to the film. It wasn't badly marketed over here, the trailers we had really sold the film as it is. Shame I missed it at the cinema.
Jeremy Ray at 5:45PM, Oct. 13, 2016
(offline)
Ergo Proxy is strange. It gets stranger. Just you wait. Very different from Ghost in the Shell.

I hope so but geez it would have been easy to give up on this one by now. I watched episode 5 and I don't remotely care about anything except for Re-l's character design yet.
Ozoneocean at 6:01PM, Oct. 13, 2016
(online)
Jeremy Ray wrote:

I hope so but geez it would have been easy to give up on this one by now. I watched episode 5 and I don't remotely care about anything except for Re-l's character design yet.
I was the same. And every time you DO start to care about something, they kill it off. :)

I stuck with it for the amazing music and to try and work out the mystery of what's behind the destruction of the other domed city… and the whole world.

In theme I think it's a lot more like Aeon Flux, but without the sexuality.
Jeremy Ray at 6:26PM, Oct. 19, 2016
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Jeremy Ray wrote:

I was the same. And every time you DO start to care about something, they kill it off. :)

I stuck with it for the amazing music and to try and work out the mystery of what's behind the destruction of the other domed city… and the whole world.

In theme I think it's a lot more like Aeon Flux, but without the sexuality.

I'm up to episode twenty and so far I don't think it works. I'm surprised it got made at all, let alone ran for two seasons. The first episode was promising, but I haven't been able to care about whatever the series is building up to. Whatever is happening doesn't seem important. The oddball episodes with the gameshow and Disneyland are weird but not the good kind of weird. Neither Vincent Law or Re_L are likeable characters. I'll be glad to be done with them and Ergo Proxy, unless there is an incredible turnaround in the last few episodes.
fallopiancrusader at 12:20PM, Oct. 21, 2016
(offline)
I am currently watching “Haters back off”. One of the strangest TV shows I have seen in some time! Next stop: “American Horror Story: Hotel”
ashtree house at 12:33PM, Oct. 21, 2016
(offline)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
I am currently watching “Haters back off”. One of the strangest TV shows I have seen in some time! Next stop: “American Horror Story: Hotel”

That was filmed in Vancouver, my friend worked on that show..she does film lighting. She hated it and said it was the least organized show she has ever worked on. She wants to get ridiculously drunk and watch the completed thing.. so that is what I am doing this weekend haha.
Genejoke at 1:34PM, Oct. 22, 2016
(online)
I finished luke cage which was great. Loved the soundtrack.

Then I did the latest series of red dwarf which was funny but rehashed a fair few old ideas.

Next up the last Kingdom or maybe American horror story hotel.
fallopiancrusader at 4:44PM, Oct. 24, 2016
(offline)
ashtree house wrote:
fallopiancrusader wrote:

That was filmed in Vancouver, my friend worked on that show..she does film lighting. She hated it and said it was the least organized show she has ever worked on. She wants to get ridiculously drunk and watch the completed thing.. so that is what I am doing this weekend haha.

@Ashtree House: How was the ridiculously drunk binge-watch? I am currently trying to watch season 2 of I: Zombie, but I'm afraid I will have to drop it. The first half of the first season sustained itself nicely by milking the quirkiness of the initial premise. After that initial rush, I feel that the only thing which really came to the fore was the mediocrity of the writing.
ashtree house at 8:52AM, Oct. 27, 2016
(offline)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
ashtree house wrote:
fallopiancrusader wrote:

@Ashtree House: How was the ridiculously drunk binge-watch? I am currently trying to watch season 2 of I: Zombie, but I'm afraid I will have to drop it. The first half of the first season sustained itself nicely by milking the quirkiness of the initial premise. After that initial rush, I feel that the only thing which really came to the fore was the mediocrity of the writing.

It was amazing! Good beer, and we basically just made fun of the show the entire time. It is.. very strange indeed.
ashtree house at 8:53AM, Oct. 27, 2016
(offline)
I have been watching a lot of Brooklyn Nine-Nine lately. I didn't think I'd like it because I am not a huge Andy Samberg fan, but he's not bad in this.. and the rest of the cast is just fantastic!
moizmad at 6:33PM, Oct. 27, 2016
(online)
ANTHROPOID - Cillian Murphy, Jamie Dornan, Toby Jones. The Czech resistance assassination of Hitler's #3 man, Reinhard Heydrich, the Butcher of Prague.
Very well done and closely recreates those events. I think I'm going to watch it again!
Genejoke at 7:55AM, Oct. 29, 2016
(online)
Black mirror. Why did no one tell me how good that show is?
Banes at 8:37AM, Oct. 29, 2016
(offline)
@Genejoke - I started that one too. Holy smokes, it's great. It's such a cool idea for an anthology: the dark, tech, “15 minutes in the future” thing. I'd never heard of it before it popped up on Netflix (I think we only have the most recent season in Canada).

Looks like one guy is writing all of them, too. Impressive!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon