Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2017 Rant/Share/General Discussion Thread
Ozoneocean at 2:38AM, Aug. 31, 2017
(online)
I dropped out of the Battleship/battlecruiser and Dreadnought groups I was in after the millionth time the same arguments were posted.
Not to mention reposting of the same ship photos over and over.

“Bismark VS New Jersey”, “Yamato VS New Jersey”, “Iowa class had superheavy shells and were the best ships at sea!”, “Vanguard was the most modern battleship and the best”, “Look at this photo of an Iowa shell through Yamato class turret armour, this PROVES the Iowa could have beaten it”, “The Iowas were battlecruisers!”, “The Alaska class weren't battlecruisers! ”Trump will recommission the Iowas!“, ”Could they bring battleships back?“, ”Here's my design for a modern battleship, it's gonna have 1m thick Abrams tank armour, 16 inch railgins and laser for anti-aircaft…"

All that and more repeated endlessly by about 30 thousand people, every day.
bravo1102 at 3:15AM, Aug. 31, 2017
(offline)
I filter out a lot of that and look at the stuff from veterans, or the rare pictures like KGV and POW all weathered.

And then there are the tank ones where you see the WOT players get smacked down by retired master gunners. Tee-hee
Ozoneocean at 8:01AM, Sept. 3, 2017
(online)
Facebook thinks I'm an American :)

bravo1102 at 9:06PM, Sept. 3, 2017
(offline)
It just thinks that no one with your interests could be a native Australian. It goes against all the behavior models!

I keep getting things in Spanish. After all I live in NJ so I must be a Spanish spesker.
Ozoneocean at 2:02AM, Sept. 6, 2017
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
It just thinks that no one with your interests could be a native Australian. It goes against all the behavior models!
Actually it's probably right in that, not many Australians think I'm really Australian. Even recent immigrants seem more Aussie than me :)
I am quite an odd duck.
bravo1102 at 2:22AM, Sept. 6, 2017
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
Actually it's probably right in that, not many Australians think I'm really Australian. Even recent immigrants seem more Aussie than me :)
I am quite an odd duck.
And you're often drunk, which makes you a perfect fit with this place. Me, I keep shooting my mouth off – just like the duck in my avatar. ;)
Genejoke at 4:16PM, Sept. 6, 2017
(online)
Hello, I'm back after a bit of an absence.
Ozoneocean at 1:54AM, Sept. 7, 2017
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
hello you ^_^
Tantz_Aerine at 5:36AM, Sept. 7, 2017
(online)
Genejoke wrote:

Hi! Hope everything's all right :)
Genejoke at 8:13AM, Sept. 7, 2017
(online)
Tantz_Aerine wrote:
Genejoke wrote:

Things will be okay, just haven't been in a creative place and tied up adjusting to changes in life.
bravo1102 at 11:03PM, Sept. 10, 2017
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
Tantz_Aerine wrote:
Genejoke wrote:

Things will be okay, just haven't been in a creative place and tied up adjusting to changes in life.

You always have a home here. You were missed.
Ozoneocean at 5:47AM, Sept. 15, 2017
(online)
Tomorrow I have a photoshoot in my hussar gear… it could be cool… Or it could be shiz.
I am unphotogenic so probably the latter.
MegaRdaniels at 5:14PM, Sept. 15, 2017
(online)
Hi there! I would like to make an order today!
MegaRdaniels at 5:15PM, Sept. 15, 2017
(online)
Also hey guys, I'm back from the dead. lol
Ozoneocean at 3:06AM, Sept. 16, 2017
(online)
Cool beans :D
Ironscarf at 6:20AM, Sept. 23, 2017
(offline)
Everyone is worrying about Kim Jong-un’s nuclear capabilities, but what's really playing on my mind is the use of the word ‘dotard’ in his latest statement. Nobody uses that word anymore and the original statement translated from the Korean reads more like ‘old man lunatic’, so where would he find a translator who speaks Victorian?

Is it possible he's developed… a time machine???
last edited on Sept. 23, 2017 6:21AM
bravo1102 at 8:20PM, Sept. 23, 2017
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
Everyone is worrying about Kim Jong-un’s nuclear capabilities, but what's really playing on my mind is the use of the word ‘dotard’ in his latest statement. Nobody uses that word anymore and the original statement translated from the Korean reads more like ‘old man lunatic’, so where would he find a translator who speaks Victorian?

Because of all the trade sanctions North Korea hasn't been able to update their English dictionary since 1950.
Mika_yi at 9:48PM, Sept. 24, 2017
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:

I been in korean aug of this year visiting family, it seems that people are more worried and upset as to how Trump is handling the situation that they still text to us and ask us about what's going on; friends and students from teaching So more or less the issue with North Korea being going on for so long no one really cares they just went about their day. It's the idea that trump is provoking the North Korean leader and as he threatens North Korea the south knows they will be in the cross fire.

As for the words, North Korea actually does use an old way of speaking that they don't even have the correct vocabulary to speak to someone in the south that it does become hard to communicate. They don't have the borrowed words in the south, and the accent is a bit hard to understand. Because they are so closed off the communication gap is there. So him using that word is fairly normally in how they speak there.

If that makes any since. Not sure how to explain it.
last edited on Sept. 24, 2017 9:49PM
Ozoneocean at 8:31PM, Sept. 27, 2017
(online)
Jong is right, Trump IS a dotard. Like a lot of conservatives his ideas are from 40 years ago. People like that don't think of the past with nostalgia, a source of retro cool or a mine of interesting ideas like the rest of us, they see it as the golden model for how life should always be.

That said, Jong is a sad little megalomaniac.

-I don't like change myself, I'm stodgy and I like to retain old traditions and things, but I know it's very harmful to fight against change and progressive social movements: they become social movements for a reason; conditions change and people need societal change in order to accommodate them, or else things will break and result in disaster, war, crime etc.

It's like a couple having children and not changing their routines to accommodate them, or buying enough food for more than themselves, just imagining that retaining the old status quo will always be good enough.
bravo1102 at 11:39PM, Sept. 27, 2017
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Jong is right, Trump IS a dotard.
The first time I saw it, I said “the perfect word to describe Trump”. Resistant to change, impulsive and forgetful and always using silly expressions because they're at a loss for anything else to say. “Great, best”

Yeah, just shut up.

The list of things we forgot grows and I'm getting sick and tired of all the German tourists. I understand there are more Germans in Rome now than there were during the occupation in World War II. I even had one yell at a pigeon I was commiserating with.
Another must have overheard me complaining and rudely nudged me aside saying “raus, raus” (equivalent to saying "get out of my way!) And at every monument the military presence is amazing along with the carabineri and police, there's the army in full combat gear. Mere presence works wonders to deter crime and violence.
last edited on Sept. 27, 2017 11:44PM
Ironscarf at 3:31AM, Sept. 28, 2017
(offline)
It makes perfect sense Mika_yi and turns out to be exactly as you and Bravo described:

One possible explanation for Kim’s use of the antiquated insult came from Joan H. Lee*, who covered North Korea for the Associated Press. She said on Twitter that she had visited the offices of the government’s propaganda arm, the North Korean state news service, and “found the agency using very old Korean-English dictionaries for their translations.”

I wonder what else is in those dictionaries? It would be nice to see a few more old words making a comeback. I hardly ever encounter a rapscallion, poltroon or coxcomb these days, let alone a doxy or a strumpet.
Ozoneocean at 9:39PM, Oct. 1, 2017
(online)
“Strumpet” always sounds to me like a woman who's strutting around in thigh-high stockings :D

Wow, after finishing a comic page that takes ages to create I always feel so creatively spent, a little fat, and depressed.
fallopiancrusader at 5:32PM, Oct. 2, 2017
(offline)
Wow, after finishing a comic page that takes ages to create I always feel so creatively spent, a little fat, and depressed.

I always feel super energized to get right up and running on the next page. Then I realize it's going to be weeks before I can work on another page because my day job is going to be taking a front seat for a long time to come.
last edited on Oct. 2, 2017 5:33PM
Ozoneocean at 8:48AM, Oct. 3, 2017
(online)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
I always feel super energized to get right up and running on the next page. Then I realize it's going to be weeks before I can work on another page because my day job is going to be taking a front seat for a long time to come.
Really? I wish I could.
Though I really, really wanted to work on a page of Bottomless Waitress today and yesterday, and even the weekend too but I couldn't because Drunk Duck work took priority, So I know what you mean :(

On the weekend I was designing a notification page for comments on your comic and comment replies, yesterday was the Quackcast notes and editing and today is the featured comic, ugh!!!!

————

That horrible shooting happened and already the F**king conspiracy theorists have started up. -_-
lba at 1:47PM, Oct. 4, 2017
(online)
I finally managed to start on a new comic, right before work began occupying 99% of my waking hours. I'm moving into a new and bigger studio space where I'll have more room for my screen print equipment, be able to work more comfortably, and be able to add new equipment. I'm ultra geeked out about it, because now I might be able to finally start working efficiently enough to get enough down time to start working on comics again.

I've also spent a lot of time doing hiring interviews with potential apprentices, which is… not so enjoyable, but still teaching me a lot about being a boss, mentoring and a lot of other stuff.
Ozoneocean at 9:41PM, Oct. 8, 2017
(online)
Good luck with being a boss :)

————

I was just thinking how your body shape changes as you age, due to whatever metabolic stuff is going on under the surface and whatever lifestyle stuff you have going on…
You never have a standard “you”. You're ALWAYS changing.
There are times when you change less and you seem to look the same way for a long time, but that's just an illusion.

For men, we tend to get fatter as we age, so if we want to improve we tend to exercise and bulk up. You end up with people like David Cross- was always slim and now he's a buff guy.

I think that sort of bulked up exercise look is a trap though. The idea is appealing, and it's not hard to get there if you're willing to put in the work, but once you ARE there you are locked into maintaining that for LIFE, because if you slip then you lose it hard. To be that size you need to be eating a lot and that eating habit is a lot harder to lose than the exercise habit.
Plus it ages you, A LOT.

So I'd rather eat less than bulk up- Go for a lean look.

——-

Congratulations Bravo on meeting Tantz! :D
bravo1102 at 10:02AM, Oct. 9, 2017
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
“Strumpet” always sounds to me like a woman who's strutting around in thigh-high stockings :D

Fishnet stockings. In my current comic I do use “doxy” and “strumpet”. Those words imply a loose woman as opposed to one who sells her body. But face it Union general Joseph Hooker is to blame for “doxy” and “strumpet” fading from use. He had the prostitutes registered and regulated and they came to call themselves “Hooker's whores”. That got shortened to “hookers” and the rest as they say is history.

Meeting Tantz was the absolute high point of my trip. Everything else was crowds, tour buses and rush, rush, rush. Worse yet my wife broke her hand in Rhodes, we forgot the converter plugs and my camera wouldn't work. My phone takes great pictures but I missed the zoom and much longer battery life.
Ironscarf at 5:42AM, Oct. 11, 2017
(offline)
Yay - drawing tablet finally fixed!

It was just a faulty usb cable as I suspected, but soldering those little pins is not a lot of fun. It now works on my newer pc, which it never did before so the thing was obviously compromised years ago. Now all I have to do is remember how to use it. Another page is somewhere on the horizon.
mks_monsters at 5:48AM, Oct. 11, 2017
(offline)
I like it here. The people are fun and there are less frills. Though sometimes I like frills. Ha!
Ozoneocean at 6:35AM, Oct. 11, 2017
(online)
@ Bravo- your wife is quite fragile :)
Tantz liked meeting you too! :D

@Scarf- wow, you fixed it yourself? That's pretty hardcore man.
mks_monsters wrote:
I like it here. The people are fun and there are less frills. Though sometimes I like frills. Ha!
We love new people! Welcome Monsters!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon