Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2017 Rant/Share/General Discussion Thread
usedbooks at 4:06PM, Jan. 23, 2017
(online)
Thanks. I'll manage. I used to work for the state, but a state hiring freeze basically made it a dead-end “career” (seasonal). It was a foot in the door and desperately-needed experience. I was/am seasonal in NPS with aspirations to stay in the organization, but it's not a stable situation. I've worked for four parks in two states.

My goal is year-round work, but at least my RV (and lack of social ties) gives me flexibility to follow jobs until that happens.
thunderdavid at 4:51PM, Jan. 23, 2017
(online)
It's a new year. Kinda of a new start for me. Decided I'll focus alot more on my family. Spending more time with my nephews (who's father isn't involved as much, my brother). Time to step to plate and be better uncle.
bravo1102 at 5:00PM, Jan. 23, 2017
(offline)
You'll persevere. Hiring freezes like most kinds of freezes tend to be seasonal.

So I had a sort of muddled dream about infiltrating a refinery and trying to collect my notes. I was supposedly working on a comic that was actually a code.
Then I went to meet my contact. It was a living, breathing completely human Belinda Brandon. My imagination must have worked overtime to create a totally realistic human from that action figure and webcomic appearances. KimLuster's influence was apparent because she was wearing a variant of the outfit from her cameo in the Godstrain but there was nothing drawn or plastic here. It was a total transformation into a living human. She even hinted at her career and how she was currently between jobs (and was that a glare at me as I am responsible for keeping her employed?)

But she wasn't a character confronting her creator. But a real person. Uncanny. And there was absolutely no thought of hitting on her either even with that heaving bosom.
KimLuster at 5:27PM, Jan. 23, 2017
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:

So I had a sort of muddled dream about infiltrating a refinery and trying to collect my notes. I was supposedly working on a comic that was actually a code.
Then I went to meet my contact. It was a living, breathing completely human Belinda Brandon. My imagination must have worked overtime to create a totally realistic human from that action figure and webcomic appearances. KimLuster's influence was apparent because she was wearing a variant of the outfit from her cameo in the Godstrain but there was nothing drawn or plastic here. It was a total transformation into a living human. She even hinted at her career and how she was currently between jobs (and was that a glare at me as I am responsible for keeping her employed?)

But she wasn't a character confronting her creator. But a real person. Uncanny. And there was absolutely no thought of hitting on her either even with that heaving bosom.

that is so intriguing!! I have a really good image in my head of how a real Belle would look!! I've dreamed my characters too, in varying detail… But not Eli…yet! Hope I never do…!
last edited on Jan. 23, 2017 5:28PM
MegaRdaniels at 4:10AM, Jan. 24, 2017
(online)
KimLuster wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:

that is so intriguing!! I have a really good image in my head of how a real Belle would look!! I've dreamed my characters too, in varying detail… But not Eli…yet! Hope I never do…!

What about a genocidal Peter Pan leading an army?
bravo1102 at 9:29AM, Jan. 24, 2017
(offline)
That was all part of the code I had to get from my contact so I could embed it in the comic.

It was part of the plan to defeat Peter Pan and thwart his plans for world domination. The refinery was their secret base.
lba at 5:33PM, Jan. 24, 2017
(online)
usedbooks wrote:
Thanks. I'll manage. I used to work for the state, but a state hiring freeze basically made it a dead-end “career” (seasonal). It was a foot in the door and desperately-needed experience. I was/am seasonal in NPS with aspirations to stay in the organization, but it's not a stable situation. I've worked for four parks in two states.

My goal is year-round work, but at least my RV (and lack of social ties) gives me flexibility to follow jobs until that happens.

I don't know what kind of physical shape you're in, but Ducks Unlimited is currently looking for research techs in the Nebraska prairie pothole region. they're looking for people who can manage 12 hours a day, 5 days a week of field work, but it's pretty much every biologist's dream job, getting to chase mating duck pairs all over the place, and it comes with housing and meals. Hell, I thought about applying to it, just because I like chasing ducks around.

I also just recently had a mildly insane idea I got from PWOT ( the Cracked forums.).

The Duck needs money right? Supposing that if everyone who is a regular on the site chipped in a few bucks and set up a DD Kiva account? It takes quite literally $25 to help fund a single loan so it's not a high barrier to entry, and it helps other people throughout the world, all while earning a small revenue stream for the duck. You'd have to work out who is going to manage the account and pick which loans to give to, but for $500, which is nothing in terms of starting capital, a group effort could potentially pool a decent enough bit of earning capital.

Plus, I've come to learn over the last few years that putting out a bit of goodwill to others has a decidedly karmic effect.
usedbooks at 5:59PM, Jan. 24, 2017
(online)
I'm honestly neither in shape for nor have the experience for field research – much as I like the thought. I destroyed my knees climbing a lighthouse twice a day for two summers.

I can kayak quite sufficiently, though. Heh.

I found a couple non-government full-time positions to apply for, and I have a place in my parents' house (and/or my camper) if nothing comes along for a while. Frustrating but fine. I am well-versed in being unemployed.
bravo1102 at 1:39AM, Jan. 25, 2017
(offline)
usedbooks wrote:
I'm honestly neither in shape for nor have the experience for field research – much as I like the thought. I destroyed my knees climbing a lighthouse twice a day for two summers.

I can kayak quite sufficiently, though. Heh.

I found a couple non-government full-time positions to apply for, and I have a place in my parents' house (and/or my camper) if nothing comes along for a while. Frustrating but fine. I am well-versed in being unemployed.
You know with driving your RV you probably have enough experience to do commercial truck driving(non-articulated) which is one of the top growing fields.

And then there's always security. Come to Port Reading NJ and work with me. Please, we need reliable people. :-D

—-

I should be getting my wacom tablet today. Just a super basic one off of Amazon. Let's see if I remember how to draw.

KimLuster drew Belle with longer hair. So I also bought some hair and I will be trying to add extensions to the figures head to match the illusrations. And there are also some new wardrobe so we'll see if I can crank up production again with all this inspiration.
Ozoneocean at 4:45AM, Jan. 25, 2017
(online)
Check out the new reply to comic comments feature. Reload the site first though.
Ironscarf at 6:32AM, Jan. 25, 2017
(offline)
Whoa, I just discovered that new reply to comments feature! Great feature, but does it allow the commenter to reply to your comment reply? Only one way to find out…

e: It doesn't.

ee: Or maybe the button is only visible to the comment reply recipient.
last edited on Jan. 25, 2017 6:44AM
Ozoneocean at 8:20AM, Jan. 25, 2017
(online)
You should be able to just keep hitting the same reply button and adding to the thread.
Ironscarf at 9:08AM, Jan. 25, 2017
(offline)
Good heavens you're right! I couldn't see the wood for the trees.
Ozoneocean at 9:37AM, Jan. 25, 2017
(online)
Glad it works! :D
Had me worried for a sec…
KimLuster at 7:36AM, Jan. 26, 2017
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:

I should be getting my wacom tablet today. Just a super basic one off of Amazon. Let's see if I remember how to draw.

KimLuster drew Belle with longer hair. So I also bought some hair and I will be trying to add extensions to the figures head to match the illusrations. And there are also some new wardrobe so we'll see if I can crank up production again with all this inspiration.

Oh Wow…! I so super-excited to see what you come up with!! If you haven't noticed, I really like your character… ;)
usedbooks at 7:50AM, Jan. 26, 2017
(online)
I found a couple job openings in WV Tourism. Permanent with good benefits (meager pay, but WV isn't terribly expensive). I never imagined job opportunities could draw me back towards my homestate after lack of them drove me out a decade ago. Job hunt is looking promising with my current resume and experience. Always a chance of getting turned away for being overeducated – it has happened before. -_-
MegaRdaniels at 6:09PM, Jan. 26, 2017
(online)
I have been struggling a lot lately. Trying to balance between work, school, and webcomics. I had to push the webcomic to the side because I am taking 5 classes for me to graduate from my 2-year College, not only that but my job is killing me. I hope I can update like normal once things blows over again.
MegaRdaniels at 6:10PM, Jan. 26, 2017
(online)
usedbooks wrote:
I found a couple job openings in WV Tourism. Permanent with good benefits (meager pay, but WV isn't terribly expensive). I never imagined job opportunities could draw me back towards my homestate after lack of them drove me out a decade ago. Job hunt is looking promising with my current resume and experience. Always a chance of getting turned away for being overeducated – it has happened before. -_-

It has happened a lot to one of my friends, but don't give up my friend, there is that one job out there that will appreciate on what you have to offer for the world. :)

“Never give up, never surrender” - Galaxy Quest (1999 - Dreamworks)
MegaRdaniels at 6:12PM, Jan. 26, 2017
(online)
KimLuster wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:

Oh Wow…! I so super-excited to see what you come up with!! If you haven't noticed, I really like your character… ;)

Hi, I just finished the first draft for pages 14, 15, and 16. The script was hell though. The toughest part of comic book writing are the revisions.
HippieVan at 12:19PM, Jan. 27, 2017
(online)
thunderdavid wrote:
It's a new year. Kinda of a new start for me. Decided I'll focus alot more on my family. Spending more time with my nephews (who's father isn't involved as much, my brother). Time to step to plate and be better uncle.

Good for you! My mom hasn't been around much since my little sister was eight or so, and I've always thought it was a shame that more people didn't step up to help out my dad. I've done my best to do some of the mom stuff for my sister, but there were definitely times when we could have used a helping hand. Even stuff like making dinner for them or helping clean the house once in a while is really helpful for a single parent.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
HippieVan at 12:24PM, Jan. 27, 2017
(online)
lba wrote:
I also just recently had a mildly insane idea I got from PWOT ( the Cracked forums.).

The Duck needs money right? Supposing that if everyone who is a regular on the site chipped in a few bucks and set up a DD Kiva account? It takes quite literally $25 to help fund a single loan so it's not a high barrier to entry, and it helps other people throughout the world, all while earning a small revenue stream for the duck. You'd have to work out who is going to manage the account and pick which loans to give to, but for $500, which is nothing in terms of starting capital, a group effort could potentially pool a decent enough bit of earning capital.

Plus, I've come to learn over the last few years that putting out a bit of goodwill to others has a decidedly karmic effect.

Could you be thinking of a different site with a similar premise? I don't see how money could be earned through Kiva.

From their site:
“Do Kiva and/or Kiva lenders receive interest on Kiva loans?
Kiva never collects interest on loans and individual Kiva lenders do not receive interest from loans they support on Kiva.”
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
kawaiidaigakusei at 3:28AM, Jan. 28, 2017
(online)
The death of John Hurt does not come as a surprise, but his death was one that I was not anticipating. He was the voice actor for Hazel-rah in Watership Down and Aragorn in Bakshi's Lord of the Rings animated film, which were both staples of my childhood. He made a small cameo in Harry Potter as Olivander, the wand expert. I really became a fan of John Hurt as an actor when he played Winston Smith in 1984, which had one of the greatest film endings in my opinion.

He will always be on my short list of favourite actors and I will always respect his life's work. It is a sad day.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Jan. 28, 2017 3:29AM
Ironscarf at 5:32AM, Jan. 28, 2017
(offline)
Fantastic in everything he did and one of the best voices ever. He could've recited this weeks winning lottery numbers and you'd swear it was Shakespeare.
bravo1102 at 8:59AM, Jan. 28, 2017
(offline)
I remember John Hurt going all the way back to his turn as Caligula in I, Claudius. That was part of my adolescence. I have an ancient Hammer film where he plays a shell-shocked WWI veteran and despite it being a rather lackluster film, his portrayal makes the film worth watching. In that film he played opposite Peter Cushing who was the first Winston Smith in a 1950s BBC-TV adaptation of 1984.

But his six decade career was great and very memorable. To have done that many films and always shine is something. Another tidbit, the reason he had cameos in Mel Brooks movies was that they were neighbors. His turn as Christ in History of the World Part I and the reprise of his Alien role in Spaceballs are one of the more memorable bits in both films.

It was always wonderful watching this otherwise run of the mill film and then you'd hear the gravelly voice and smile. “Cool, John Hurt is in this!”
Ozoneocean at 10:29PM, Jan. 28, 2017
(online)
The Storyteller was very influential to me as a child.
Lonnehart at 1:26AM, Jan. 29, 2017
(online)
Alien and Spaceballs are where I remember him best. It was funny when I realized that it was him playing his Alien role in Spaceballs.

*after alien baby pops out of his chest* “Oh, no. Not again…” :)
Genejoke at 1:36AM, Jan. 29, 2017
(online)
2017 started out very hopeful for me. After my battles with anxiety and depression things were looking up. I had a new girlfriend and things were looking promising and I was starting a new job. Within two weeks the job and the relationship had failed. So I took a trip to Spain to get away from it for a couple of weeks and recharged my batteries. Now it's time to get back on track.
KimLuster at 6:38PM, Jan. 29, 2017
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
2017 started out very hopeful for me. After my battles with anxiety and depression things were looking up. I had a new girlfriend and things were looking promising and I was starting a new job. Within two weeks the job and the relationship had failed. So I took a trip to Spain to get away from it for a couple of weeks and recharged my batteries. Now it's time to get back on track.

Spain is magical!
Ozoneocean at 11:21PM, Jan. 29, 2017
(online)
I agree. Spain is a rather nice place :)
Reminded me of Australia, but European…
Genejoke at 12:07AM, Jan. 30, 2017
(online)
funny part was that I left england where it didn't snow and got to spain and the next day had 3 inches of the stuff. The most anyone remembers there being in that area. usually it's just the mountains that get it.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon