Comic Talk and General Discussion *

I'm elderly and know all things...just ask..
Zaptoid56 at 1:53PM, April 30, 2017
(offline)
I have seen AND USED a phone with a rotary dial..I'll wait as a hush falls over the audience….I watched Walt Disney presents on Sunday nights..when there were only 3 channels on tv..WAIT..try to bring this into your mind..there was only tv..no other electronic images…I know..how could this be? Walt was cartoons…you don't know who Walt was? I'll end here. Awaiting your questions as an elder…
last edited on April 30, 2017 1:56PM
Ozoneocean at 12:07AM, May 1, 2017
(online)
LOL! I used a rotary phone, grew up with black and white TV that I had to change the channels on with a dial, watched Disney on Sundays, listed to plays on the radio, went to drive-ins, when car windows had to be rolled down by hand, only had AM radio and no air-conditioning… And we all worried that nuclear war was coming and the sound of that roaring jet engine thundering through the sky at 3am just might be a Soviet ICBM. Different times! ^_^

The world has changed a lot in the last few years!!!

There are a lot of things I don't miss to be honest. But I do like how the world moved a bit slower back then without the instantaneous communication of everything- no just telecommunication, but pop-culture, news, styles etc.
Things are better when they have time to stew and percolate for longer. When they flare up and burn out so fast it's harder for things to make as much of an impact.
When the spread of pop-culture and ideas around the world is a bit more gradual, happening in stages, then there's more of a chance for local flavour to change it and make it more interesting. It still happens but not as much.
bravo1102 at 5:44AM, May 1, 2017
(offline)
Nuclear war. I wrote an in-depth report on comparative strength of the U.S. and Soviet Union in Middle sccool. Just ate up books on the effects of blast and radiation. I didn't get depressed or worry about it, I researched the hell out of it.

But I just missed “duck and cover” drills though we were shown the movie in class. Yeah, survive the blast but after that you're on your own. You and Burgess Meredith in Twilight Zone.
last edited on May 1, 2017 5:49AM
usedbooks at 12:28PM, May 1, 2017
(online)
Our TV had a dial and just a couple channels. We had one of those stand-up rotaries with the separate ear piece but you had to talk into the phone.

Don't take it entirely as a sign of age. I grew up in a small WV town that still required long-distance dial-up connections into the 21st century. When I came home from college, if I needed to download a file that was over a MB, I had to set it up to download overnight and pray no one called or picked up a phone.
Ironscarf at 1:00PM, May 1, 2017
(offline)
Our TV had sliding hardwood doors on the front with brass handles. When it died my parents had it made into a cocktail cabinet, with a glass shelf, a light and a mirror at the back.
It had bottles of gin, whisky, vodka, brandy and all kinds of interesting liquors from exotic locations. TV was definitely a bad influence in our house lol!
KimLuster at 1:33PM, May 1, 2017
(online)
Ha, we just have to bring age up…huh :D

When we were kids, if my grandmother couldn't get good reception on the TV, me and my brother were sent out to rotate the antenna, which was a 3-inch pole probably 25 feet or so tall - very hard to turn for little kids… and gramdma would be hollering out the window, “Too far! Turn back the other way just a smidgen!”

bravo1102 at 6:43AM, May 2, 2017
(offline)
I was lucky to live in an area halfway between Philadelphia and New York with crappy reception that was one of the first to go cable around 1982. Remember the first “I want my MTV!” commercials? About a year later we had cable. Still had a dial TV but we had the box with the remote.

And living halfway between NY and Philly we never just had three stations. I grew up with the big three, three independent stations in NYC and two PBS stations (NY and NJ). There were UHF stations if you wanted to be bothered with going into the upstairs bathroom and playing with the wing antenna. I didn't always watch cartoons but instead watched old serials, Abbot and Costello or 1960s TV series Saturday morning on channel 9 or 11. Channel 5 had Wonderama.
last edited on May 2, 2017 6:51AM
Zaptoid56 at 8:26AM, May 2, 2017
(offline)
Well…no one asked me a question and now the time period has expired. I..who watched original episodes of 77 Sunset Strip…Route 66 and The Outer Limits…yes..my knowledge is vast…bid you adieu…..P on the S…I had no idea that so many age enhanced people were on here…
last edited on May 2, 2017 8:35AM
PIT_FACE at 5:35AM, May 5, 2017
(online)
You been drinkin, grandpa?

Zaptoid56 at 8:31AM, May 5, 2017
(offline)
You are correct sir…Vanna..what does this contestant receive?
Banes at 10:21AM, May 5, 2017
(offline)
Dammit, I just saw this thread. I had questions!

Zaptoid56 at 10:56AM, May 5, 2017
(offline)
Well Banes, I'll open the thread again…but just for you..but only for 2 hours..after that I need a nap.
Banes at 3:03PM, May 8, 2017
(offline)
hahaha!

Hmmm…well, if you ever make it back…

do i learn a musical instrument or work on making more money?

Buying or Renting? Which is the better way?

Do you advise younger folk to get married, or stay single?

What was a Zoot-Suit, anyway? Some kind of legal battle?

Ironscarf at 6:27AM, May 9, 2017
(offline)
Banes wrote:
hahaha!

What was a Zoot-Suit, anyway? Some kind of legal battle?

I'll say - those things were banned during the war!
Zaptoid56 at 10:44AM, May 10, 2017
(offline)
Though I rarely answer questions past the allotted time I shall do so for Banes. (My half brother twice removed).

Your first question involving making money. I've found that even with the most advanced IBM copy machine…a prison sentence is involved..but..I found that playing instruments in prison(skin flute) will gain you extra carrots on your lunch tray.

Second question…you need never buy or rent if you become a pimp and have your stable of girls provide funds to stay in the local Super 8 motel for free.

Third question…NEVER Mary! She has an untold number of privy member encumberments..really…don't go there…

Last question….really sir..must I explain the game of Bridge to you? The Zoot suit involves overtaking the Jack while the Queen is at rest. You art folk…
Ozoneocean at 11:10PM, May 10, 2017
(online)
What was the first band you saw in concert and were they selling wax cylinders or the newfangled shellac disks?
PIT_FACE at 4:43AM, May 11, 2017
(online)
Who the fuck shot JR!!!AAARRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

bravo1102 at 7:43PM, May 11, 2017
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
What was the first band you saw in concert and were they selling wax cylinders or the newfangled shellac disks?
Discs, cylinders? All I could get was sheet music and papyrus was so expensive back then.
bravo1102 at 7:46PM, May 11, 2017
(offline)
PIT_FACE wrote:
Who the fuck shot JR!!!AAARRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
None of it mattered once Bobby Ewing walked out of that shower. It was all a bad dream.
Zaptoid56 at 9:52AM, May 12, 2017
(offline)
Ozone…my first band…ah..great memories. It was the Glenn Miller orchestra. Bongo the drummer was very popular..but I thought the lead trombone player had great skill. Sadly, he became involved with a Japanese rice artist who I believe was responsible for Glenn's plane being shot down in WW2. Later the trumpet player got involved with Indian music and mystics which caused him to put out records featuring repetitive lyrics. Finally, the cute one of the orchestra..Saul..violin bass player…continues to stroke his ego. Oh yeah…fine music is on records called 78's. A quarter inch thick they are…you can't break 'em with a hammer.
Zaptoid56 at 10:00AM, May 12, 2017
(offline)
Pit, J.R. was shot by Lee Harvey Oswald. An unbalanced but somehow expert marksman with an inferior rifle. Yes..believe it…or be visited by the CIA..NBC..or by the Martha Stewart fan club.
PIT_FACE at 5:57AM, May 13, 2017
(online)
oh…….

my world.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon