Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What inspired your comics on Drunk Duck?
MattBoo at 3:18PM, Sept. 23, 2017
(online)
Is there anything that inspired or influenced your comics in any way? If so, then who or what was the inspiration?
MegaRdaniels at 10:58PM, Sept. 24, 2017
(online)
Well…pretty much this comic inspired me.

Sonichu was the first webcomic I have ever read. Yeah, I made fun of it, but overtime I was like, this is actually pretty good…in a so bad its good category. It actually got me INTO webcomics believe it or not. :)
Ozoneocean at 10:12AM, Sept. 25, 2017
(online)
Lots of things inspired me… but to do a webcomic specifically there were a couple. I think one was called “A Modest Destiny”, by Squidy. It was a cool pixel art comic- NOT a spirte comic ^_^
http://www.squidi.net/comic/index.php

Another was called “Sarah and David”, which was a 3D comic made with custom 3D characters, not poser figures.
http://www.sara-and-david.com/

And The Noob:
http://thenoobcomic.com/comic/1/

None of them are being updated now, but they showed me what you could do with online comics :)

KimLuster at 12:58PM, Sept. 25, 2017
(online)
No particular webcomic inspired me to begin with, as I really wasn't a big follower of them until I joined this site, but I do remember running across comics like Pinky T&A and Dasien back when I was googling my ideas…

The main idea for my story came from my own head, but the ideas from movies like the Matrix and Inception certainly played a part, as did a Manga I ran across way back, called Starlight Woman!
usedbooks at 4:54PM, Sept. 25, 2017
(online)
I started drawing rough storyboards about characters inspired by my roommates. My brother talked me into scanning and uploading them. My main goal was just to have a backup. I never read a webcomic before joining DD.

Since then, the story and subsequent characters have been inspired by any number of things. Favorite anime and adventure movies, RL and historical “bad guys,” etc. Technically, I started writing Used Books when I ran out of episodes of Detective Conan, so it had some influence. I wanted to try to write murder mysteries, but I didn't like killing characters, even minor ones. (Or I just have trouble writing one-off characters.)

Oh, and the art style had a weird evolution. It started with a “How to Draw Manga” book, but I sucked at emulating the style, so it gradually morphed into something completely different.
last edited on Sept. 25, 2017 4:57PM
fallopiancrusader at 5:34PM, Sept. 25, 2017
(offline)
I did printed comics in the early 90s, but the dismal state of independent comics back then was so depressing that I abandoned the genre for 20 years. Then in 2013 I started doing comics for my own amusement, and by then the webcomics movement was well established, so I started uploading my comics here, mostly as a lark. More specifically, Mindfold was somewhat inspired by “The Golden Witchbreed”, a science fiction book by Mary Gentle, which played with the concept of post-industrial societies.
Ozoneocean at 6:12PM, Sept. 25, 2017
(online)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
More specifically, Mindfold was somewhat inspired by “The Golden Witchbreed”, a science fiction book by Mary Gentle, which played with the concept of post-industrial societies.
I loved that book! The sequel was absolute pants (dirty old grandma pants), but Golden Witchbreed was awesome. It has a proud spot on my bookshelf! ^_^

@Kim- you really Googled Pinky TA back in the day? That's so cool! :D
KimLuster at 11:02AM, Sept. 26, 2017
(online)
@Kim- you really Googled Pinky TA back in the day? That's so cool! :D

Oh yeah, Many, many years ago… Well before I knew about DD (it didn't really register that I was seeing Pinky TA on DD :))… I was googling Female Protagonist, cool female charaters, etc… googling images too, and started getting hits on it. Read a good bit of it - thought it was awesome, esp. those reverse-stirrup pants :D!!

When I finally got to publishing on DD, I was quite elated to see Pinky TA's home was here!
last edited on Sept. 26, 2017 11:05AM
moizmad at 1:53PM, Sept. 26, 2017
(online)
I got booted off another site.
Ozoneocean at 9:25PM, Sept. 26, 2017
(online)
KimLuster wrote:
Oh yeah, Many, many years ago… Well before I knew about DD (it didn't really register that I was seeing Pinky TA on DD :))… I was googling Female Protagonist, cool female charaters, etc… googling images too, and started getting hits on it. Read a good bit of it - thought it was awesome, esp. those reverse-stirrup pants :D!!

When I finally got to publishing on DD, I was quite elated to see Pinky TA's home was here!
That's amazing! ^_^
Really encouraging to know.

moizmad wrote:
That's enough to incite fury :D
bravo1102 at 7:33AM, Sept. 27, 2017
(offline)
moizmad wrote:
You too? There's quite a collection here.

But then I'm an obnoxious jackass and cynical curmudgeon. I'd kick me off most sites.

I was working on a fantasy novel and joined some fantasy writing websites and Eragon-anti-fandom and one person suggested I try converting it into a web comic. I was already doing custom figures and designs based on the characters and had seen the crude photo stories of other figure collectors and knew I could do better.

A thousand archived pages and four completed comics, two(maybe three) on hiatus? I've made a go of it even if I am obnoxious, disliked and work in a medium that to most readers ranks my work below sprites and stick figures.

As for influence on my work? The world is my palette. Everything and anything is grist for the mill.

last edited on Sept. 27, 2017 7:34AM
MattBoo at 8:24AM, Sept. 30, 2017
(online)
As for myself, I'm not sure if there's an exact inspiration for my comic, “Something is Drawn Here”. Every comic is typically just a dumb idea that comes to my mind at random (although at least one of the upcoming ones is based on a real event). When it came to the humor, I just made what I thought was funny and what was going on in my head at the time. You'll notice the surrealistic humor kinda dies down as the comics progress, this is because I was bored when I started it.

Artistically, there is a little more inspiration. It's an extremely dumbed down version of the style of my flipnotes, which is VERY John K./Spumco influenced. Given the comics were intentionally drawn very crappy, there's little of my personal style in there. But the comic's art is somewhat inspired by Don Hertzfeldt, The Weaver (RubyQuest, Boxdog (a fellow Drunk Duck comic)), FlorkOfCows, and Regular Show. The art is really the closest thing I can think of regarding what inspired “Something is Drawn Here”.
last edited on Sept. 30, 2017 8:27AM
MattBoo at 8:29AM, Sept. 30, 2017
(online)
By the way, cool inspiration stories, guys!
cdmalcolm1 at 4:55PM, Oct. 8, 2017
(online)
I was doing my own comic book and then one day I got a message asking to draw a couple of pages for heroes alliance. Ever since then, I got hooked on that other creators share a universe of super meta humans. So then one day I decide to join these merry men and women of creativity and created a few characters of my own. The community is awesome, kind and understanding. That is one of the top reasons why I’m now on the duck via the HU/HA universe.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon