Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Fringe / bangs What's your method?
Ozoneocean at 8:15PM, Nov. 15, 2017
(online)
For some reason I always have trouble with the forehead aspect of hair! I manage it ok in the end, maybe… usually because, I don't know. Magic? It eventually works out.
But for some reason it always trips me up at some stage.

I mean where to part it? How much should be there? How long? Messy, neat… I don't know. Easier to put everyone in hats or make them bald.

Pinky is a nightmare!!!!!!
Emevsa at 3:39AM, Nov. 16, 2017
(offline)
Drawing bangs/fringes, totally fine.
Colouring bangs/fringes… god f**king help me!

I go ham on hair nowadays but colouring it takes me an age and half, trying to figure out how to make it look good. There's a reason why our first two characters were in space suits for a good 20 pages. :P

It's a matter of luck I feel, every time I draw/colour their hair. Some days it's fantastic and I love it. Other days I walk away from my desk defeated.

… I'm starting to think this is part of the reason why I like painting landscapes. Ain't no fringes there. :P
Ozoneocean at 4:30AM, Nov. 16, 2017
(online)
Emevsa wrote:
It's a matter of luck I feel, every time I draw/colour their hair. Some days it's fantastic and I love it. Other days I walk away from my desk defeated.
Exactly this.

For the latest page of Bottomless Waitress I got Polly's hair all drawn, including her fringe, I got it all coloured up in two big panels… Looked at it the next day and realised I'd do it all wrong! She looked super weird.
Had to look at older pages and try and recreate the style. D:
bravo1102 at 4:42AM, Nov. 16, 2017
(offline)
Drawing is easy for me because it can be reduced to shapes and a couple of lines.

But styling hair on those damn figures and I can't just draw it longer for a change-up. And there at least two ladies in line to get new wigs. I love my hot glue gun. Burn my fingers every time.

Painting hair in a head is fun. Sometimes I just lay in the basic color and mix up the tones in the still wet paint.
KimLuster at 6:58AM, Nov. 16, 2017
(online)
Sometimes I love how my hair turns out (bangs, parts, strands…) and then the next time I try I can't make it look worth a crap!! I really hope I come up with a technique that works consistently someday (and yeah, trying other suggested techniques results in the hit-or-miss I experience - gonna have to be my own…)
usedbooks at 4:02AM, Nov. 17, 2017
(online)
I tend to draw and color figures more like plastic models, so the hair is not fine or loose but in pieces. When I draw looser styles, figuring out coloring is tricky, although it can look pretty nice without outlines. – the tricky part for me is deciding how to do the eyebrows. I hate for hair to cover them because I rely on them for facial expressions.
Ironscarf at 5:18AM, Nov. 17, 2017
(offline)
I just tend to draw a line for how far down the forehead the fringe would extend then think about head movement or wind conditions etc, to decide where individual strands might be heading, then just sort of go for it. For colour, I'll just paint over the whole area and then cut into that when I'm colouring the face, or the other way around if I colour the face first. I tend to have them on the same layer but a temporary seperate one is a good idea sometimes, if you want to go really wild.
fallopiancrusader at 6:25AM, Nov. 17, 2017
(offline)
I love drawing hair, because it covers up all of my anatomical mistakes. Can't get the neck muscles to look right? Just throw a tuft of hair over the whole thing! The worst hairstyle is bald. So much more anatomy to figure out.
bravo1102 at 7:19AM, Nov. 17, 2017
(offline)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
I love drawing hair, because it covers up all of my anatomical mistakes. Can't get the neck muscles to look right? Just throw a tuft of hair over the whole thing! The worst hairstyle is bald. So much more anatomy to figure out.
The back of the neck, ugh! And doing bare heads that don't look like Vincent Price as Egghead in the old Batman.

I love sculpting hair. Doing all the beards and hair extensions on the Vikings and dwarves was fun. Soon I'll get a chance to add hair to a John Cleese sculpt.
Ozoneocean at 6:04PM, Nov. 17, 2017
(online)
Haha, wow!
At one stage Cc was going to be bald!
Bald is no worries to me because I struggle with anatomy every single time anyway and add the hair afterwards :D
Everyone I draw starts off bald.
Tantz_Aerine at 11:50AM, Nov. 19, 2017
(online)
The 40s help a ton in this issue, as everyone seems to have had side parts, or some sort of part and side fringe.

In my case, I tend to favour sweeping all of my hair back in real life, or a side fringe. I love bangs but after two hairdresser disasters, I'm taking a break from them.
Ozoneocean at 3:09AM, Nov. 20, 2017
(online)
Ohhh, side parts! D:
I'm so crap at drawing those!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon