Comic Talk and General Discussion *

7 wonders of the world
kingofsnake at 9:42AM, Oct. 18, 2006
(online)
http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php

6 out of the original 7 wonders of the world are gone. So they're naming new wonders.
They've got it narrowed down to 21 and people can vote.

I think this is pretty cool, I don't exactly agree with the 21 they've narrowed it down to (statue of liberty isn't that amazing but the panama canal is pretty freaking incredible)

My choices, of the ones they're offering are (in no order):
The Great Pyrimids
The Great Wall of China
The Colosseum
Christ the Redeemer
Petra
Taj Mahal
Angkor
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
CORY at 10:17AM, Oct. 18, 2006
(offline)
That is an awesome idea. As to which to pick I'm not so sure, but they would most likely be the older of the rest, on account that they did not have the technology we have in our civilization today when making them!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
Ozoneocean at 10:50AM, Oct. 18, 2006
(online)
I'd pick the Jahre Viking, (now the Knock Nevis). That ship is almost half a kilometer long!
The world's largest man made moving object…

But no one esle likes ships quite that much… :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
Knuckles at 12:30PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(offline)
What were the original 7 wonders of the world? It's been so long, I forgot.

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
kingofsnake at 12:31PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(online)
How about the spruce goose? I mean, largest plane that actually worked.

plus yogi bear flew it, so it's got that going for it :-P
Ozoneocean at 12:55PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(online)
kingofsnake
How about the spruce goose? I mean, largest plane that actually worked.

plus yogi bear flew it, so it's got that going for it :-P

I think the Russian Miryia is actually bigger. and that works fine, quite a bit better than the Goose ever did.
I think they made some hydro plains that were even bigger too (not completely sure how big), they don't fly very high but they fly better than the Goose. Then there's the new double decker Airbus. I don't think that's much bigger than the Goose, but it too works perfectly (they just have trouble producing them on time).
I belive the Spruce Goose is still the biggest wooden aeroplane ever, and I'm pretty sure it still has the longest wingspan (just by a small bit), of any aeroplane ever.

As to the original wonders, from memory the Pyrimids of Giza are the only one's still standing. There was also the Collossus of Rhodes, The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, The lighthouse at Alexandria (I think, somewhere Greek anyway) and I can't recall the rest… Maybe there was a statue of Zues or Athena that was really impressive?
Mimarin at 12:59PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(offline)
How exactly are we defining a wonder now?
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
pshumate at 2:40PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(offline)
The original Seven Wonders are/were the Great Pyramid of Giza, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, The Temple of Artemis (Ephesus), the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, the Mausoleum of Maussollos (this was the one I never remember), the Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria. As has been said, only the Pyramid of Giza remains.

There's also the somewhat ill-defined Seven Wonders of the Medieval World, a revised Seven Wonders of the Modern World and the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.
girl/robot - I'm a mean, mean man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM
Black_Kitty at 5:27PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(online)
I'm kind of a bit upset that the CN Tower isn't on there but I suppose that's just Canadian pride talking. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
sandy at 5:42PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(online)
I didn't see the leaning tower of Piza either. And shouldn't Niagra Falls be on that list too?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
hat at 6:52PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(offline)
Hands down

Easter Island statues (creepyness right there)

Then the Giza Pyramids… Stonehenge should be on there
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
kingofsnake at 7:02PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(online)
the tower of piza and the cn tower were both on the original list of the 77

Also I'm not that impressed by stonehenge, so they moved some heavy rocks a really far way, big deal. They didn't even do anything with them, they stood them up in a circle. the pyrimids they had to move more heavier peices of stone and build shit with them.
sandy at 8:49PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(online)
Ohh cool. I know, what about Spaceship Earth at Epcot? It's a wonder how they designed that big metal ball isn't it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
Terminal at 9:29PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(online)
kingofsnake

Also I'm not that impressed by stonehenge, so they moved some heavy rocks a really far way, big deal. They didn't even do anything with them, they stood them up in a circle. the pyrimids they had to move more heavier peices of stone and build shit with them.

..you try doing that.

(Anyways, the appealing thing about Stonehenge is the mystery.)

(edit: the internet should be on that list.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:10PM
draxenn at 11:41PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(online)
kingofsnake

they didn't have the man/slave power that the pyramid builders had.
And they treked those stones FAR.
And, no one is sure why they did this. Pyramids are evident. They're tombs.
Stonehedge? No one's sure. Some think it's a calender, others think it's a stargate and others think it's a place of power and ritual.

What about the coral castle? is that there? That's pretty neat, and the guy built it himself.
Screw the money! I have RULES!
. o O ( Evil )
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
Ozoneocean at 2:43AM, Oct. 19, 2006
(online)
The best thing about Stonehenge is that it's pre-celtic. All that stuff about Druids is silly… Well not quite all, they did take over the sites and use them after the original builders were long gone. Stonehenge is one of the relics of really old Britain.

-Niagra falls are natural, so they can't be on this list.

I don't think The Sydney Opera house should be there, it's really not that amazing. It's an interesting shape, but then there are a LOT of interestingly shaped BIG buildings in the world.
NASA's Crawler should be there… That gigantic moveable tracked launchpad, it's pretty amazing. One of the biggest land vehicles. Also that gigantic coal mining auger in Germany, it's collossal, a real engeneering feat.
Vaoni at 9:28AM, Oct. 19, 2006
(offline)
I personally dont think the Effiel Tower or Sydney Opera house should be on there..not really.. wonders..just popular.

It's a shame Notre Dame isnt on there though. That cathedral is absolutely gorgeous and amazing, in my opinion.
I'd love to see the Roman Colosseum make it in the 7, along with Stonehenge and the Statues of Easter Island.

- Updated! 1.10.06
“You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? ”Hey man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
Ozoneocean at 10:28AM, Oct. 19, 2006
(online)
I'd mostly agree with you Vaoni, but the Roman Colosseum is pretty much like the Eifel Tower and the Syney Opera house in that it's just popular. It's really half a ruin…
There are better preserved examples of antique mega-architecture. There's even an almost complete Roman Colosseum in Tunisia.
AQua_ng at 10:35AM, Oct. 19, 2006
(offline)
The Twin Petronas Towers need a mention.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
Vaoni at 11:16AM, Oct. 19, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean
I'd mostly agree with you Vaoni, but the Roman Colosseum is pretty much like the Eifel Tower and the Syney Opera house in that it's just popular. It's really half a ruin…
There are better preserved examples of antique mega-architecture. There's even an almost complete Roman Colosseum in Tunisia.

I was going by mostly the fact that its pretty amazing that they built such a thing. Plus i'm kinda biased because i think the Romans were awesome.
(I also never knew about the one in Tunisia)

But yea, so it's half a ruin, but unfortuately you cant preserve something forever.
Stonehenge is also only half of itself too from what researchers gather.

- Updated! 1.10.06
“You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? ”Hey man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"
Ozoneocean at 11:39AM, Oct. 19, 2006
(online)
Vaoni
I was going by mostly the fact that its pretty amazing that they built such a thing. Plus i'm kinda biased because i think the Romans were awesome.
(I also never knew about the one in Tunisia)

But yea, so it's half a ruin, but unfortuately you cant preserve something forever.
Stonehenge is also only half of itself too from what researchers gather.

Here you go:http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=365J-08-22 taking it apart to build and repair other structures, they did that for hundreds of years.
The Pantheon dates from around the same time and it's really much more impressive and WAY better ‘preserved’.

Yeah! Pedantic, opinionated, know-it-all Ozone is back!

The Petronus towers ARE pretty cool
kingofsnake at 11:52AM, Oct. 19, 2006
(online)
I haven't heard someone use the word pedantic since describing my senior thesis
Vaoni at 2:47PM, Oct. 19, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean
Here you go:http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=365J-08-22 taking it apart to build and repair other structures, they did that for hundreds of years.
The Pantheon dates from around the same time and it's really much more impressive and WAY better ‘preserved’.

Yeah! Pedantic, opinionated, know-it-all Ozone is back!

The Petronus towers ARE pretty cool

Coool, thanks for looking that up for me.
Didnt realise that the one in Rome had been rebuilt somewhat. Makes me wonder how many other ancient buildings have had that treatment.
Guess its necessary to keep them up longer. Better than tearing them down anyhow.

- Updated! 1.10.06
TdotOdot2k at 3:03PM, Oct. 19, 2006
(offline)
I'm half offended the CN Tower and Stonehenge aren't there. Both are archetectual masterpieces for the time periods they were built in.

…that and half the things on the list aren't that “wonderous”. >_>

Contestant of the 3x a Week Grind 2.0
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
Ozoneocean at 3:24PM, Oct. 19, 2006
(online)
TdotOdot2k
I'm half offended the CN Tower and Stonehenge aren't there. Both are archetectual masterpieces for the time periods they were built in.
Stonehenge IS there… Have another look at the list :)

I voted for Timbuktu! Yay! It was founded by the Tuareg's. My comic character is dressed as a Tuareg at the moment… I like those guys.
TdotOdot2k at 4:24PM, Oct. 19, 2006
(offline)
Oh! Well that's absolutely wonderful. There's two picks I can think of that DEFINITELY deserve it (Easter Island, Stonehenge, respectively). I read that Stonehenge wasn't here, and forgot to actually go and look for myself.

Contestant of the 3x a Week Grind 2.0
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
Mystic Hand at 4:36PM, Oct. 19, 2006
(online)
In Civilization, the computer-game equivalent of crack, if you can build the Hoover Dam great wonder you're almost guaranteed to win.

In real life I'd vote for the Apollo Program (man on the moon) for the way it changed the way humans think, and The Panama Canal because, aside from being the biggest engineering project in the history of mankind, it's hard to one-up carving a shortcut through a continent.

Person 1: “I stacked a bunch of rocks that align with the stars so perfectly I know exactly the best time to plant my crops.”

Person 2: “I carved a shortcut through a fooking continent because I hate long commutes.”

I mean, how do you top that?

And though it's no Hoover Dam, I'd say Niagara Falls counts because it's not natural anymore – we can turn it on and off with a lightswitch.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Ozoneocean at 4:54PM, Oct. 19, 2006
(online)
Mystic Hand
In real life I'd vote for the Apollo Program (man on the moon) for the way it changed the way humans think, and The Panama Canal because, aside from being the biggest engineering project in the history of mankind, it's hard to one-up carving a shortcut through a continent.
Heeeeeeeey… The Suez Canal did it way before the Panama project. Although it wasn't quite as large, it was pretty much the same thing, and without Suez, they probably wouldn't have had the impetus to go all the way with Panama.

On the same note, the Soviet space program got to most places first, and without that, there'd most likely be no Apollo.

So I wouldn't go for Apollo at all, that's really more of a cold war propaganda win. I would agree on Panama though, because it did take what had been done with the Suez and push though a much harder project that has been really useful too.
kingofsnake at 6:37PM, Oct. 19, 2006
(online)
panama canal was on the original list of 77, it would've gotten my vote too

no space programs are on the list becuase it's the 7 wonders of the world, THE WORLD. Not the world and the moon and the space in between.

Most people I've told about this think the great wall was one of the wonders of the world, my general response to this one is: it is now.

It's pretty much a no brainer, the only man made object visible from space.
Mystic Hand at 6:57PM, Oct. 19, 2006
(online)
kingofsnake
It's pretty much a no brainer, the only man made object visible from space.

–Except for the parking lot of Disneyland.

But yeah, The Great Wall kicks ass. A well-deserved win.

And it totally rocked the swimsuit competition.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon