Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Are we getting a little too political?
Hawk at 1:18PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
This may be a little bit touchy… and I'm worried that if I say it, it'll look like I'm protecting/supporting whackjob racists, homophobes, pedophiles, and whatever.

…but it feels like every time I log into this forum there's a new thread whose basic tune is “Here's a group or person I don't agree with. Let's talk about how stupid they are.” What then follows is angry ranting and blanket statements made about nationalities, beliefs, and religions.

Now don't get me wrong, we're all free to think what we want (and I think you'll agree with me, even as you lambaste somebody for thinking what they think). I even believe we're free to say what we want. But can we please say it in the Debate Forum instead of everywhere else? All this hate flying from comic authors I respect and admire really kills my good mood when I come here.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 1:21PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
Hawk
…but it feels like every time I log into this forum there's a new thread whose basic tune is “Here's a group or person I don't agree with. Let's talk about how stupid they are.”

Um… where?

I only noticed that today.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Neilsama at 1:37PM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
Yeah, I think you're right about at least keeping it in the debate forum. There are times that I just don't want to come here and see political statements in a general topic forum. The problem is that I have a pretty hefty opinion that is going to come out no matter what, but then I also have to exercise restraint while saying things that will almost certainly offend. And even then, that's not why I come to this particular section anyway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
Ozoneocean at 1:43PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
Good idea, it's getting a bit serious for General and darkening the tone of the place a bit much.
Well spotted Hawk!
…They're not strictly in a good debate style, but they're great for discussion and we don't want general getting too “mean”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
kingofsnake at 1:48PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
i also agree. sometimes its tough for the initial poster to decided if its something that deserves to be in the debate forum, but then the was DDers respond incite debate, but really, isn't that what our mods are for? moving that sorta stuff around?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
hpkomic at 1:50PM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
I'm under the impression anything that can devolve into an argument easily should be in debate and discussion, thus all topics on religion, race, sexuality and politics should be lumped in.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
reconjsh at 1:53PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
What if you don't want to “Debate” or “Discuss”? What if you just want to “vent” or “rant”? General Forums are for that, right? There ARE a lot of topics, IMO, that don't belong in General Forums once they become debates. But rantings and venting, even political, seem at home here by the description of the “General Forums”.

This thread is next to a Potluck Dinner thread, Westboro Church thread, Why your name thread, impeach Bush thread, Make a Friend thread, wizard world thread, random talents, fandom, mythology,… etc. It seems that there's a healthy mix of topics.

I do find it ironic that this thread is a “Here's a group or person I don't agree with.” thread itself.

I enjoy DD though. It's nice that the general populace here is more educated and informed than that of some other forums I frequent. So, if not talking politics or debating in the general forums will keep those types of people active on the DD forums, then I'm in favor of whatever it takes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Ozoneocean at 1:59PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
It's perfectly fine to start a rant on politics in the General forum! Perfectly ^^
As Kingofsnake says though, that's what mods are for; when things start to go a certain way and someone like Hawk notices and comments, then that's a good sign it's prolly right to move things around.
Happens all the time! :)

THIS thread could almost go there…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
hpkomic at 2:13PM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
Any time politics is involved, it devolves into an argument, or annoys someone, there's no other alternative to these situations.

So really, all rants about subjects which can possibly start an argument should be kept out of general and moved to top drawer or debate and discussion.

The Westboro Church thread and Impeach Bush threads SHOULD be moved, because those act as argument bait or promote dislike or hatred of other groups, not matter how justified it may seem, same with the topic on that conservapedia. Their views, I find to be false and unusual, but starting a thread in general discussion to hurl insults at them is very wrong, and if you want to discuss how wrong those views are, they should be in the debate and discussion forum, not general, because those threads seek to divide people.
subcultured at 2:19PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
anything can start a debate, so i don't see your point.
someone could start a debate about the st.patricks's day thread, that it causes people to celebrate alcoholism rather than the saint.

like oz said if the thread starts to look like more of a debate/discussion it would be moved.

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
AQua_ng at 2:24PM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
I blame subcultured for this. :kitty:

But seriously, some people may just have a different view of what general is for General Discussion. Some people are surround by intellects like them whilst others do not.

General discussion
Step in and chat. Vent. Rant. Talk about anything you want that doesn't belong in the other forums.

Debate and Discussion
Got a pressing issue in your mind? Need to get something off your chest? Then come on in! Just remember to be respectful. :)

So, the descriptions kind of explain it. Politics, religious views and what not are pressing issues.

And if you don't know what to put it in, just ask! Not me though. I'm just the baby-sitter.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
hpkomic at 2:26PM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
So essentially, if the majority of people agree in the thread, then it won't be moved right? ;)

And no, there is reasonable doubt with what can be turned into a debate or not, don't try making generalizations here. A Saint Patrick's day thread has less of a chance of spiraling into a feud than a thread on Iraq does. It's common sense and you can trace a history of these things happening.

So don't use the excuse that “well anything can be a debate” because that's a given, but it doesn't address the issue of dealing with the ones that are 9/10 intent to argue and will go down that path, cluttering up a forum for general discussion.

So, simply said, keep the threads that ALWAYS spiral out of control (sex, religion, politics and race) away from the section geared for everyone.

It makes the forum look bad.
Hawk at 2:35PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
Yeah, I can agree with a lot of what is being said here. And I did hesitate to even say anything… I'd hate to assume to dictate what we here at the Duck may talk about casually. In fact, the debate-worthy posts in this forum weren't begun with a debate-like tone, so their initial placement in the general section is understandable.

I guess if one were to read an interesting article about abortion or find a Youtube video on gay rights, it would just be more sensible to bring it up in the Debate Forum than in the same section where we talk about pets and odd habits.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
skoolmunkee at 3:31PM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
I think it's a slightly confusing issue, the topics are those of D&D but the way they're discussed isn't. I've noticed a number of them in General though myself and been wondering if I should move them or what. I felt though that if I moved them do D&D they'd just get moved back out since that forum is more strict.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Eviltwinpixie at 3:41PM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
Hawk
I guess if one were to read an interesting article about abortion or find a Youtube video on gay rights, it would just be more sensible to bring it up in the Debate Forum than in the same section where we talk about pets and odd habits.

Yeah, on a forum I frequent, the debate section is unofficially called “Politics, religion and philosophy”, because ANYTHING on those topics is gonna turn into a debate, and generally should be put there. Seems to work well. ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
Alexis at 3:59PM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
Yeah, I think people can talk about whatever they want, but if you piss people off in the forums it will affect how they look at your comic. I'm a fan of not taking anything too seriously, personally, especially when you are talking online.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon