Networking & Community Projects*

Artist's and Writers needed for Short Stories
Mark at 7:22AM, Nov. 17, 2006
(offline)
Short stories is basically a project where artists and writers to cometogether and produce a short story.

The story shouldn't be too long, about 2-5 pages.

each writer will be paired up with an artistto create their story

Each team will have 3 weeks to complete their story

You can do whatever you want with the stories within reason. Ie no crazy-obsessively-gruesome-make-you-wanna-vomit-blood-violence, and no I'm-gonna-fuck-you-like-an-animal-and-jam-big-hard-things-into-your-openings-nudity

Note that a bit of violence and nudity are fine now and then just dont go overboard.

If you're interested, put you're name down followed by whether you wanna be a writer or artist. If you feel you need more team members feel free to ask, I'm flexible with that.

All finished subnissions will be sent to mrmarktang@gmail.com

Also if you have any comments/suggestions/queries, dont hesitate to ask

To anyone who responded to my last thread on this, feel free to rejoin if you're still interested. If you've got some stuff done, you can finish it on your own or finish it with an assigned teammate and I'll put it up anyways.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
Tantz_Aerine at 7:52AM, Nov. 17, 2006
(online)
I'm interested! I would do it as writer or artist. Yay!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
skoolmunkee at 7:16AM, Nov. 18, 2006
(offline)
So there's an old thread about this? That might be interesting to have a look at but I can't seem to find it. :/

Would the artist/writer pairs be assigned or could they choose themselves?

What's going to happen with the finished comics? :)
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Generic Human at 9:28AM, Nov. 18, 2006
(online)
I would be intentersted on the drawing front.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
mechanical_lullaby at 10:03AM, Nov. 19, 2006
(online)
let's go. I'm bored and totally … well totally bored. Count me in. Writing or drawing.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Aeon at 8:03AM, Nov. 20, 2006
(online)
Still interested in drawing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
Gregory at 4:28PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(offline)
Mr. Mark Tang (It's a kick in a glass!),

I would be interested in writing a short story for an artist, should we be paired up.

But please, give us a theme! I think a unifying theme would rock so everyone can see what everyone else did when presented with that theme. Besides, I write sooooo much better when I've got even the slightest motivation.

If you're short on writers, I've got a friend who would love to help out. She doesn't have a DD account though… One phone call and that's taken care of.

-Gregory
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
barbwired at 6:13PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(offline)
artist here!
<33
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
reboundcomic at 9:29PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(online)
I would be interested as both an artist and a writer. I am faster as a writer, so that is probably my first choice.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Aeon at 9:38PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(online)
Gregory
But please, give us a theme! I think a unifying theme would rock so everyone can see what everyone else did when presented with that theme.

Seconded! Something pretty broad like, “Love” or “Fright,” or “Green.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
skoolmunkee at 10:41PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(offline)
Paging Mark…. paging Mark… come back to your thread Mark!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Rich at 10:42PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(online)
I could more than happily write something if you'll be lenient about the ‘no overly awesome blood’ rule.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Mark at 5:05AM, Nov. 21, 2006
(offline)
I'm baaaack…..

Alright here's our list so far

Writers:
Tantz Aerine
Mechanical Lullaby
Gregory
Gregory's friend?
reboundcomic
Rich (the no overly awesome blood rule would be a matter of perception, show it to me, if I don't projectile vomit at the sight of it, I'll probably give it the go)

Artists:
Tantz Aerine
Aeon
barbwired
reboundcomic

For a theme, how bout “a description of life”? tell me if you like it

For pairings, I will do them next week, I'll give you until then to get into groups and I'll pair up all the singles, if anyone else joins after then I'll pair them up straight away

Gregory gets to help me with Nazi dictactorial control because he's NEAT-O

Also sorry for my absence, I've been incredibly busy with my school drama production (rehersals till 7pm) and came down with a slight flu during the weekend.
Tantz_Aerine at 10:29AM, Nov. 21, 2006
(online)
Decription of life sounds good, but isn't it a little vague? Perhaps a few more parameters or something? ‘Cos it could be anything, really… couldn’t it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
skoolmunkee at 12:13PM, Nov. 21, 2006
(offline)
It sounds good to me, sign me up for drawing I think. :) I am super rusty though so whoever I end up with, don't expect anything too crazy. T_T Hum, I guess that would cut into drawing time a little too…

I'll be in Egypt next week and a bit of the week after, so if no one hears from me until the 5th, that's why!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Generic Human at 1:14PM, Nov. 21, 2006
(online)
Mark
I'm baaaack…..

Alright here's our list so far

Writers:
Tantz Aerine
Mechanical Lullaby
Gregory
Gregory's friend?
reboundcomic
Rich (the no overly awesome blood rule would be a matter of perception, show it to me, if I don't projectile vomit at the sight of it, I'll probably give it the go)

Artists:
Tantz Aerine
Aeon
barbwired
reboundcomic

For a theme, how bout “a description of life”? tell me if you like it

For pairings, I will do them next week, I'll give you until then to get into groups and I'll pair up all the singles, if anyone else joins after then I'll pair them up straight away

Also sorry for my absence, I've been incredibly busy with my school drama production (rehersals till 7pm) and came down with a slight flu during the weekend.

Le Sigh…I was forgotten.
ccs1989 at 4:01PM, Nov. 21, 2006
(online)
I'll be an artist for it if I like the story.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Glarg at 4:05PM, Nov. 22, 2006
(offline)
I'll be more then willing to be a writer.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
PinkDiapers at 6:25PM, Nov. 22, 2006
(online)
OK, I'm down, I'll go for art. I'll be a switch too though, in case you get in a tight spot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Kira Dwenna at 11:19PM, Nov. 23, 2006
(online)
If I get this straight, we just speak up for artsy stuff, or writing stuff, and then you pair us up, right?

(I'd fail miserably if I had to do it myself. I don't know many people around here, yet)

O.O

*shifts eyes around the room of unknowns* Uhhh…hi everyone! Nice to meet you all! ^-^

I'm willing to do some writing for this. Are we going to get time to prep and go before the artists get their hands on the prose, or is it one of those “Ready, Set, GO TO IT PARTNERS!” kind of things?

I like “Description of Life” as the theme. How would you describe life? What makes life meaningful for you?
It might be a little too broad, but there's a fine line between that and too narrow. =^-^=
Why be a Lesbian if you can't be Serious about it?

“Webcomics should be as fun to write, as they are to draw, as they are to read.”
-Kira
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
skoolmunkee at 11:59PM, Nov. 23, 2006
(offline)
Kira Dwenna
I'm willing to do some writing for this. Are we going to get time to prep and go before the artists get their hands on the prose, or is it one of those “Ready, Set, GO TO IT PARTNERS!” kind of things?

I sort of got the impression from his description that although the writers write it, they have to work with the artists as far as execution… if there's something the artists suggest, like ‘there’s way too much uneccessary dialogue' etc, then it would be fair for the writer to take that into consideration. It could even go so far as the two of them saying ‘what kinds of things do we want a story about?’ and the two of them could figure out the basics, and once those are set the writer fills them out, and then the artist gets to draw them.

Then again, some people might be happy with using a script they wrote a year ago, and the artist just drawing it. I don't know how many people would be too happy about that though. Not many artists are happy to just take an assignment and do it like that.

Just as a general tip for the participants here… writers get to write the dialogue and stuff out, but try not to be too strict/etc on how things will be drawn. It's like standing over their shoulder, a script that details exactly what panels should look like etc sucks the enthusiasm out of the artist. :) And artists, if they don't like something or want to change it, should ask the writer first before doing the changes. Or maybe sketching out two versions etc and showing them to the writer so they can see what the differences are.

3 weeks might be pushing it if two people collaborate on writing a 5 page story, because the artist needs time to draw it too… but hopefully if everyone aims for 3 weeks, most people will make it.

Mark, you haven't answered a very important question yet, what is going to be done with these comics? No one I know will just work on a project without knowing what's going to happen with it. If you don't answer that here then I'm going to have to withdraw. I don't want my work posted somewhere without my consent, etc.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Mark at 12:36AM, Nov. 24, 2006
(offline)
hey guys,

Ok firstly to address some of the questions.

All finished works will go to http://www.drunkduck.com/Short_Stories/ where The story will be posted and credited to you, with link to your webcomics of course. I'll also probably put in my 2 cents of positive commentary and stuff. If you wanna put any authors notes in the comments, email them to me with the finished piece under “Authors Comments”

I decided to use the broad “description of life” theme so I don't limit you guys. I really dont want to get 5 stories or so saying the exact same thing. However, if you guys really don't like it I'm open to suggestions.

Kira, you got it straight, that's basically it. Skoolmunkee's explanation's pretty close to what I was thinking of, letting the writers and artists interact, but another reason was that it would be really hard to organise getting scripts from all over and giving it away, and making half of you wait while the other half work is also a bit unfair, this way, it would also (hopefully) get done faster. If it helps, I'll give the writers a week to come up with a basic storyline before shouting “Ready, Set, GO TO IT PARTNERS!”

The three week limit is really there so people get it done. I originally put down the three week limit to see what people can come up with under time constraints, some really good work sometimes comes up when the person is rushed.

If you feel however that you need more time, PQ me to argue your case and I'll grant you extensions if I feel it's reasonable.
Eg. Asking for 3 more weeks to finish 5 pages is fine, but asking for a month to finish two is just a little stupid.

Also sorry for being so vague on this whole thing. It's my first time trying to make one of these big community projects, and it's a bit confusing. Though, I'm trying my best to iron out any errors in this.

New and Improved list of volunteers:

Writers:

Tantz Aerine
Mechanical Lullaby
Gregory
Gregory's friend?
reboundcomic
Glarg
Kira Dwenna

Artists:

Tantz Aerine
Aeon
barbwired
reboundcomic
ccs1989
PinkDiapers

PS: Generic Human: LE GAWSH! Really? I cant find an earlier reply from you though, do you mind re-replying (<–cool word) and putting down what you wanna do.

Aaannnd yeah, that's about it, a reminder that I'll be pairing you guys up on monday night, it'll be a bit late cause I got a rehersal for “the scottish play” *cough*Macbeth!*cough*
skoolmunkee at 4:48AM, Nov. 24, 2006
(offline)
Thanks for answering those questions. :) You can count me back in, I just didn't want to find out they'd be used for some crazy thing (not that I thought you would). I signed up for art, if no one minds waiting until the 6th to hear from me. If that's too big a kink I don't mind sitting out.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Generic Human at 2:01PM, Nov. 24, 2006
(online)
Generic Human
I would be intentersted on the drawing front.
Kira Dwenna at 10:36PM, Nov. 24, 2006
(online)
Mark
Kira, you got it straight, that's basically it. Skoolmunkee's explanation's pretty close to what I was thinking of, letting the writers and artists interact, but another reason was that it would be really hard to organise getting scripts from all over and giving it away, and making half of you wait while the other half work is also a bit unfair, this way, it would also (hopefully) get done faster. If it helps, I'll give the writers a week to come up with a basic storyline before shouting “Ready, Set, GO TO IT PARTNERS!”

It'd be nice to get the extra week. That way, both partners can have time to take any idea/s they may have and see what works and what doesn't before starting - and whether or not they can work together at all. ^-^

I like what skoolmunkee mentioned, too:

skoolmunkee
It could even go so far as the two of them saying ‘what kinds of things do we want a story about?’ and the two of them could figure out the basics, and once those are set the writer fills them out, and then the artist gets to draw them.

That sounds like more of a partnership to me to give both creative geniuses some chance at working with the story idea. The writer gets to write it, of course, but this way the artist also has a say in what the tale is about. ~-^
Why be a Lesbian if you can't be Serious about it?

“Webcomics should be as fun to write, as they are to draw, as they are to read.”
-Kira
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Mark at 6:30AM, Nov. 25, 2006
(offline)
Skoolmunkee:I was actually gonna use them for world domination, but I changed my mind. I'll just let your teem start from the 6th onwards. No big deal.

Generic Human: Oh god I cant believe I missed that. I'm so sorry

So the artist list would look like this now

Artists:
Tantz Aerine
Aeon
barbwired
reboundcomic
ccs1989
PinkDiapers
Generic Human
skoolmunkee at 8:56AM, Nov. 25, 2006
(offline)
Mark
Artists:
Tantz Aerine
Aeon
barbwired
reboundcomic
ccs1989
PinkDiapers
Generic Human
skoolmunkee (from the 6th) :)

right right
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Generic Human at 12:48PM, Nov. 25, 2006
(online)
Mark
Skoolmunkee:I was actually gonna use them for world domination, but I changed my mind. I'll just let your teem start from the 6th onwards. No big deal.

Generic Human: Oh god I cant believe I missed that. I'm so sorry

So the artist list would look like this now

Artists:
Tantz Aerine
Aeon
barbwired
reboundcomic
ccs1989
PinkDiapers
Generic Human

it's all good, man. it just proves how stealthy i am. my ninja skills are improving.
Gregory at 6:41PM, Nov. 26, 2006
(offline)
Mark

Alright, time to drop the boot. Nazi-like control? How can I let that pass?

First things first, Skoolmunkee did a pretty damned good job summarizing. Listen to her and Mark. Two people, shared creative control, but the writers will write (with advice/input from artists) and the artists will art (with advice/input from writers). But the ideas and concepts and plot and characters almost have to be decided by both. It's gotta be something you both want to do, no? Plus, I'm positive interaction on both sides will make each project excell.

Regarding the theme, I thought it was a little watery at first too, but I thought on it for about half a minute and came up with a fantastic premise. Instead of “A Description of Life,” just look at it as “Life.” The biological process, spiritual life, living together, daily life, extraordinary life, lives would be acceptable, what is life/its meaning? It's actually an extrodinarily deep theme that really only limits your ideas to include something living in it. Just examples and thoughts if you can't quite dig it yourself. Plenty of angles to approach it from.

Finally, “Gregory's friend?” is only in the instance that we're short authors. So don't even bother listing it unless I need to call her up.

Pairings tomorrow night! I'm pretty excited, don't know about yous guys.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
Mark at 4:11AM, Nov. 27, 2006
(offline)
Now for the pairings *insert sfx of choice here*

Team 1:
Writer-Gregory
Artist-Pink Diapers

Team 2:
Writer-Kira Dwenna
Artist-Mechanical Lullaby

Team 3:
Writer-Rich
Artist-Generic Human

Team 4*:
Writer-ReboundComic
Artist-Skoolmunkee

Team 5:
Writer-Glarg
Artist-ccs1989

Team 6:
Writer-Tantz Aerine
Artist-Aeon

Team 7:
Writer-Mark
Artist-Barbwired

Alright that's all the teams set up you will officially begin next week

*Team 4 gets to begin on the sixth because of skoolmunkees absence

You will be getting three weeks starting next week so all submissions are due on the 24th of December. except for team 4 which is due on 27th of December

Just a reminder all submissions are to go to mrmarktang(at)gmail(dot)com

As always tell me if you are unsatisfied about anything

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon