Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Bottled Water? Filtered Water? Or something else?
Lonnehart at 12:32AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
Which do you prefer?

I like my house filtered water. I buy a good filter which lasts me for a couple of months (I live by myself). Plus I save money on the fuel I would've used to go to a professional filtering business. And that's better than the times of long ago, when everyone (even children) drank beer instead of water ALL THE TIME. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
skoolmunkee at 1:34AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(offline)
Man, tapwater's good enough most of the time. I use a brita pitcher when I'm feeling picky. Bottled water is a huge waste and hurts the environment for no good reason. The only time I'll drink bottled water is if my bottle from home has run out and there's no real alternative other than public bathroom tapwater.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Product Placement at 1:48AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
:P There's nothing wrong with the tap water where I live which means that I can drink from the tap to my hearts content.

US tap water is atrocious, I could never drink that. Whenever I'm over in the states, I drink only bottled water.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
Ironscarf at 1:52AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(offline)
Here in London they say every glass of tap water you drink has been drunk by nine people before you. Well it didn't do them any harm, so why should I worry?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
HippieVan at 2:24AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
Tap water. Sometimes I use those little flavour packets.

My parents drink only that carbonated water stuff, which I think is weird.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Ozoneocean at 2:58AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
There was a time long ago when if you went out and about, to events or whatever, there was no way to get a drink of water. You could buy coke, and apart from that the closest you could get was “mineral” water, which tasted utterly foul.
At least it was like that here in Australia.

And none of those drinks was good to replenish you, or really thirst quenching.

When bottled water came out it was a godsend! Finally you could get something that didn't taste either sickeningly sweet or unspeakably foul that would actually genuinely satisfy your thirst!
—————

So, bottled water as an alternative to crap like coke etc is great and I support it.
Bottled water as an alternative to tap water, when tap water is freely available is very bad however. That does hurt the environment and it's basically conning fools out of their money, making them pay many more times for the same resource:
You pay in taxes and local rates for the tap water, you pay for the bottled stuff, and you also subsidise the expenses of the bottled water company because those companies take the same damn tap water but they get to buy it cheaper than what YOU pay for it. Not to mention the useless shipping and the plastic of the bottles which harms the environment needlessly.

So, bottled water is ok in some respects, but not for home, school or office use as an alternative to tap water. And if the water in your normal supply is bad, get a filter or a more sensible and economic supply alternative to bottles. …water cooler thingos perhaps?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Redemption at 3:47AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
And if the water in your normal supply is bad, get a filter or a more sensible and economic supply alternative to bottles. …water cooler thingos perhaps?

Depends on your water, but boiling it for five minutes kills bacteria somewhat. I'm supplied by a dubiously sealed water tank so it gets the filter and boil treatment.

In the city you don't have to worry about whether tap water is safe, so to buy it in a bottle is really a bit of a con. Its also sad to see that same water priced higher than soft drinks…

Updates Thursdays.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM
ParkerFarker at 4:56AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
tap water is fine. It is even better (in some places) than bottled water because it has something in it which is good for you in some way, I forgot what that was exzactly but yeah. Where I lived it had that at least.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
zaymac at 5:12AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
I could drink tap water. But my wife has to have bottled water, so… But we do recycle all our bottles. :)

I'm so green! Ok, not really. But I do what I can.

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:55PM
usedbooks at 6:32AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
Depends on where I live.

Here and where I grew up, tap water. I'll drink tap water if I can (cheap, and I need the flouride!)

However, the city where I went to college had water that literally made me sick (vomiting and everything – which sort of counters the use of water for hydration). I filtered it with Brita, Pur, anything I could think of, and that made it *taste* better, but it still made me ill. So, I had to admit defeat and buy bottled water. Also, my parents would fill bottles up with their town's tap water and bring it to me.

I can't drink well water. I've seen things in microscopes. Scary things.

Of course, there's also this. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
lothar at 7:12AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(offline)
Tap ! its gret . i prolly consume more tap water than anyone i know
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
DAJB at 8:20AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
Yup - I'm an old-fashioned tap-water kind of guy.

It makes me laugh when I see people in offices who can't seem to get from one room or floor to another unless they carry a bottle of water with them. It's as if they expect the whole area to be suddenly hit by a drought during the five seconds they're between floors!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Ozoneocean at 8:42AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
DAJB
It makes me laugh when I see people in offices who can't seem to get from one room or floor to another unless they carry a bottle of water with them. It's as if they expect the whole area to be suddenly hit by a drought during the five seconds they're between floors!
You laugh now, but it's hell when it happens :(
HippieVan at 11:20AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
DAJB

I'm actually one of those people these days. It's not because I'm retarded though, if I don't carry a water bottle around then I get dehydrated and I get headaches. Especially at school, where I'm more prone to headaches anyway(fluorescent lights, noisy kids…school is an evil place).

zaymac
I do what I can.

That expression bugs me.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
usedbooks at 11:29AM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
Hippie Van
DAJB

I'm actually one of those people these days. It's not because I'm retarded though, if I don't carry a water bottle around then I get dehydrated and I get headaches. Especially at school, where I'm more prone to headaches anyway(fluorescent lights, noisy kids…school is an evil place).
I carry water with me everywhere, but my boss told me to. Plus, I don't work in an office/school. I work in a state park, and you don't want to be caught several miles away from a water source in 90+ degrees.

I too am an idiot who will get sick dehydrated by not remembering to drink water. These days, I force myself to drink quite a bit regularly whether or not I'm thirsty.
seventy2 at 3:01PM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
i drink well water, from the tap, when i'm back home in indiana. but here in nebraska, i get really bad gas when drinking tap water. we have a pur filter on it, so i dont get the gas.

but it sucks that i only have one refillable bottle, and i workout alot. i drink the base water, which does the same thing!! but i have to have the water. :(
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
Lonnehart at 3:34PM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
usedbooks
I can't drink well water. I've seen things in microscopes. Scary things.

Really? All I saw was food. Albeit microscopic, but it's still food. Lots of protein in there. As long as it didn't come from a farm or the Ganges (spelling) it should be okay….

I gotta try that one filter that a city had in Europe (don't remember what country). It was a caldera full of sand and a bowl on the outside. I'm sure if that tech hadn't been forgotten somehow we wouldn't have had to resort to drinking beer all the time (it made sense since the water at the time did make you sick while beer was bacteria free… not that they knew about what was in it at the time…)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Polkster at 3:36PM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
Why do half of these threads seem like stilted first date attempts at discussion topics?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
seventy2 at 3:50PM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
Polkster
Why do half of these threads seem like stilted first date attempts at discussion topics?

honestly? because i find you quite attractive, but i'm not that good at speaches.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
kyupol at 4:08PM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
Choose from these 3.

1) Fluoride Filter
- Good if you're on a budget
LINK

2) Reverse Osmosis Filter
http://ca.drinkqualitywater.com/sos

3) Atmospheric Water Generator
http://www.ecoloblue.com/en/home-office?location=feature_link

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Polkster at 4:17PM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
seventy2
Polkster

honestly? because i find you quite attractive, but i'm not that good at speaches.

Just be yourself, buddy… and maybe buy me some flowers.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Ozoneocean at 5:52PM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
kyupol
Choose from these 3.

1) Fluoride Filter
- Good if you're on a budget
LINK

2) Reverse Osmosis Filter
http://ca.drinkqualitywater.com/sos

3) Atmospheric Water Generator
http://www.ecoloblue.com/en/home-office?location=feature_link
Oh, I'll just get one of those still suits they wear on Dune. I can drink my own filtered wee as I walk. WOOT!
Aurora Borealis at 6:08PM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
If I could, I'd drink nothing but mountain water. But I'd have to live in the mountains to do that. I can say I have tasted the BEST water while spending a week in the mountains years ago.

Clean water, straight from the source …OR straight from the melting snow (and then filtered through the sands it was trickling through), even tap water was good. I have never tasted water so good :D

Anyway, normally I just drink tap water. Boil it, let it cool down, drink. That or tea.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
usedbooks at 6:38PM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
Lonnehart
Really? All I saw was food. Albeit microscopic, but it's still food. Lots of protein in there. As long as it didn't come from a farm or the Ganges (spelling) it should be okay….
Well, I was being sort of um, well just meant in terms of unsafeness. It's not the critters that are the worry. It's the chemicals. In most towns near where I grew up, the water was severely polluted from coal mines and other industrial or agricultural activities. My roommates grew up with opaque water – btw, they do not drink water at all, even though they live in the city now. They drink only soda.
Chernobog at 9:01PM, Aug. 3, 2009
(offline)
I drink tap all the time, although I don't mind it from those quasi cooler machines that pull it from the air like a dehumidifier. My fish used to love that stuff.

That said, there's some towns and buildings around here you couldn't pay me to drink from the tap. I worked at one place where the water turned thick grey in several seconds. Cheap boss wouldn't spring for a water cooler and insisted it was fine to drink from. Yeah right!
Down in Toms River here in NJ, several of the wells were contaminated by chemical/plastic manufacturer Ciba Geigy (local monsters prominent in 1980's NJ) and others were flat out radioactive. Water company knew about it and wouldn't close the stuff for 6 months. You better believe cancer rates were up in that town. I still wonder if my mother's cancer was a result of that or hereditary genes. Either way, she beat it and that counts more than anything.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
JoeL_CQB at 11:14PM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
i used to run a filter, and then i got lazy, and started drinking tap.

it's funny how the water tastes different varying from city to city around here.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
lefarce at 11:47PM, Aug. 3, 2009
(online)
Bottled water is for sissies (which apparently all of you are, you water drinking girls).

I dont drink from the tap, filter, or bottle. I just carry a flask of whiskey around to keep hydrated. The sharp sting in the back of your throat when you down a refreshing gulp of that golden brown nectar?

That's the feeling of being a man.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
ParkerFarker at 1:37AM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
lefarce

That's the feeling of being a man.

…with a tiny penis.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
Ozoneocean at 1:55AM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
ParkerFarker
…with a tiny penis.
Man, that is his penis.

Lord knows what happened to the rest of hm :(
skoolmunkee at 5:38AM, Aug. 4, 2009
(offline)
At least he's happy.

I'm getting the feeling that some people need to stop punctuating their recent posts with pictures and videos though :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon