Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Childhood candies you remember.
Lonnehart at 6:22PM, Feb. 15, 2009
(online)
Ah… there was a candy I enjoyed as a kid. I always got a big package of it when I went to visit my parents relative in another country. Kyupol might recognize this one… It was a taffy wrapped in white paper with a rabbit on it. I forgot what it was called, though…

I just went through the trouble of checking it out on Wikipedia. It's a candy from China called White Rabbit Creamy Candy. Too bad I can't find it locally…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Faliat at 12:45PM, Feb. 16, 2009
(offline)
Fini Boom, Atomic Sourballs/Fireballs, Nerdz, Dweebz, Meteorites, Parma Violets, Double Dip, Jolly Rancher Hard Candy, Buttheads (They got discontinued pretty quickly so I only ever had about one or two.You can't forget squeezing jelly out of a brightly coloured arse with eyes and a hat.), Kinder Surprise, Irn Bru bars, Sour Eyeballs, Push Pop, Big Baby Pop, Fun gums (Foam teeth and toothbrushes), Mega Mouth Spray Candy, Highland Toffee, KP Chocolate Dip, Flump, Fizz Bombs, foot and a half long sticks of bubble gum (Didn't know the company name, but they did them in the local shop not long after we'd moved here nine years ago last week. Lol).

There's a lot of other ones, a lot of them are difficult to find on the internet since they were discontinued. I'll try and put some more up in the future and maybe a few unnamed ones to see if anybody remembers them better than I do.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
vexx78 at 6:27PM, Feb. 16, 2009
(offline)
Man this thread reminds me of all the good times. Here are some of my favorites from childhood; Nerds, Tootsie Roll, Tootsie Pop, all chocolate, and Now&Laters. I hated Now & Laters after it pulled out one of my fillings and gave me a wicked tootchache for days.
Life's a game… www.spadeanddiamond.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:40PM
Senshuu at 1:31PM, Feb. 17, 2009
(offline)
Wonder Balls were cool, but a little disappointing.

The Zebra gum was awesome, but its flavor always died too soon.

Do they still make the bubble gum with the comics printed on the wrapper? They also had short-lasting but sweet flavors.
:D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
MetalLuigi at 9:54PM, Feb. 17, 2009
(online)
SeriousQuiche
OH GOSH. All the old people in my neighborhood gave those out. Gross…They were like peanut butter taffy or something weren't they?

Oh and: I remember when they came with toys…

I came into this thread with EXACTLY those in mind! I remember buying one thinking that I would get a small figurine as advertised on commercials, but I was extremely disappointed when I found there was only a sticker inside.

On a different subject, I remember being scared of Jolly Ranchers as a kid because my friend had part of a tooth ripped off when one got stuck to it. I cringe whenever I see one these days >_<
My two comics: Bob the Alien and Tom the Turkey
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
MailOrderClone at 10:02PM, March 8, 2009
(offline)
I used to love Candy Corn when I was younger, to the point that I would play around with them by sticking a bunch in by mouth and acting like they were my own jagged teeth. But then I didn't have candy corn for a while and I forgot about the stuff entirely, until last Halloween when I went to a volunteer get-together at the museum, where they had a great big bowl of candy corn that was probably made in 1978. I tried some, and as it turns out, I still like it.
Freelance writer, editor, and creative consultant. Seeking artist for webcomic. Send PQ if interested.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Lonnehart at 4:15PM, March 9, 2009
(online)
MailOrderClone
…where they had a great big bowl of candy corn that was probably made in 1978. I tried some, and as it turns out, I still like it.

Wait… What was made in 1978? The candy? Or the bowl??? I mean well made fruitcake can last 30 years and still be edible and tasty, but candy corn?!?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
serra at 10:27PM, March 15, 2009
(offline)
I can't remember what they were called, but… the strips of paper with multicolored dots of sugar? You had to peel them off one at a time and the paper always got stuck to the back. Now that I think of it, they weren't that tasty. ^_^; But it was fun trying to eat them without eating paper.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
usedbooks at 10:42PM, March 15, 2009
(online)
serra
I can't remember what they were called, but… the strips of paper with multicolored dots of sugar? You had to peel them off one at a time and the paper always got stuck to the back. Now that I think of it, they weren't that tasty. ^_^; But it was fun trying to eat them without eating paper.
I'm eating those (Candy Buttons) right NOW! I found them in a bulk supply store. I found Necco Wafers there too. (Necco is the company that makes those buttons too.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Product Placement at 11:02PM, March 15, 2009
(online)
I can't seem to remember a candy that's ever been discontinued that I used to eat. Only stuff that's been changed and altered somehow. For example I hated it when they chanced the flavor of Fanta. It used to be my favorite soda drink but now I never touch it.

Allot of my candies are local stuff that you've never heard of. We have this really strong flavored licorice that incredibly hard to chew. We call it 'Opal. Hmm.. oh and there are two rival candy factories (called Noi and Freyja) that constantly try to out tromp each other, especially during Easter. What I like about the Freyja candy is that they always make these ridiculously silly names for their candies. Names like Stick, Deep, That, This, Dream, etc.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Jonko at 8:04AM, March 16, 2009
(online)
I always loved those weird lolly pops. Ring pops. melody pops, baby bottle pops, you name them. Do all of those still exist? Never really look for them anymore so I'm not quite sure…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Tedmund at 8:11AM, March 16, 2009
(online)
Gummie Bears!!!!!!!!
I eat BACONS :3!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
Hakoshen at 10:49AM, March 16, 2009
(offline)
Tedmund
Gummie Bears!!!!!!!!

Don't get me started on those. My new favorite gummies are the cola flavored ones.

When I was a kid, I hated jelly beans. Now I LOVE them to the point where I'm willing to drive 15 minutes just to get one bag.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
ifelldownthestairs at 2:23PM, March 16, 2009
(online)
pez! didn't anybody nag at their parents in the supermarket checkout line for those ridiculous dispensers? i know i did.

WONKA BARS. i can't believe those haven't been mentioned!

my favorite was and still is (even though as an adult i don't really care for sweets anymore) butterfinger, even before the simpsons commercials. did anyone else keep trying to buy more butterfinger bars during that who shot mr. burns era, when each wrapper had like a mini-dossier on different characters? oh man, those were the days. i also liked 5th avenue, the butterfinger rip off, and nerds. and smarties. and WARHEADS… which i guess aren't being made as strong as they used to.

anyone else remember those ridiculous bubble yum commercials?

SIX FEET OF BUBBLEGUM!!! FOR YOU!!!! notthem.

hahaha i remember seeing shit like that and then looking at my grandparents and their boring ass see's candy. this is the candy for MY generation, BITCH
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
http://www.drunkduck.com/i_fell_down_the_stairs
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
crazyninny at 7:07PM, March 16, 2009
(online)
Aurora Moon
Candy cigarettes (or Bubble Gum Cigars)– They were this gum-like candy that designed to look like cigarettes when wrapped. you could blow on it, and flour/something else would come out of it to simulate smoke. sometimes they looked pretty realistic, especially if you blew on it a certain way and held it like how you would do a real cigarette.
I remember I would get a few stares from adults when I was very young then because of that. Afterward I would just take off the wrapper and then chew it.
You can guess easily why this candy was discontinued.

Oh wow, I remeber those! I used to get Candy cigarettes for Holloween and special occasions! They were really good… To bad they got discontinued though…

I kinda want one of those now… ;_;
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
dcole at 9:30AM, March 18, 2009
(online)
Brach's Rocks! These were huge in the way of comic book ads back in the day!

Daniel Cole
Writer/Artist,Carbon and Space
Magazine Editor,The Frontiersman
www.brokenfrontier.com
Twitter:@CarbonandSpace

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
Freegurt at 5:53PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
Warheads.

Those things were the devil's food.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 11:16AM, March 21, 2009
(offline)
Tootsie rolls.

No Name chocolate bars.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
MetalLuigi at 12:25AM, March 25, 2009
(online)
Pez dispensers are all kinds of awesome.

The candies themselves not as much. Well, in my opinion they weren't anything special but there might be some people out there who loved them.
My two comics: Bob the Alien and Tom the Turkey
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
BffSatan at 2:54AM, March 29, 2009
(online)
Wagon Wheels, thoose things used to be huge. Now if I ever see them they're tiny little things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
Product Placement at 1:53PM, March 29, 2009
(online)
Aurora Moon & Senshuu
Cadbury egg
Loved those eggs. They're sold all year round in London… or at least used to do so while I lived there. I loved their stupid adds where a giant finger ran around town pointing at everyone, asking: “How do you eat your?”.

Now this startling announcement might upset you though.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Aurora Moon at 7:37PM, March 29, 2009
(offline)
More smaller and more expensive each year…

Ugh, how true that is. >=(

I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Product Placement at 9:30PM, March 29, 2009
(online)
I loved the reaction of the audience. It was as if he'd conclusively proven that there was a shooter on the grassy knoll.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon