MAFIA... and other forum games

Discussion about Mafia
Product Placement at 10:49AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
Salsa
I have an excellent idea for that.
I thought the “Meet the townsfolk” comic was my idea. Unless you have a different thing in mind.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Niccea at 11:00AM, July 12, 2010
(offline)
I just need to know who is doing it and where it is going to be.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:14PM
Salsa at 3:34PM, July 12, 2010
(offline)
Product Placement
Salsa
I have an excellent idea for that.
I thought the “Meet the townsfolk” comic was my idea. Unless you have a different thing in mind.
Oh no for your page. I just told Niccea I'd maintain it, unless you want to do it.
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:18PM
Product Placement at 5:20PM, July 12, 2010
(online)
Don't worry you can maintain the comic if you want. Your post just reminded me of those sketches where someone says “I have an idea” and then someone else say “I have an even better idea” as soon as the first person has explained his. Just wanted to throw a shot at you for that :P

I figure it's only gonna contain 20 pages max, as there aren't that many players around with titles yet. However, if allot of players want to draw themselves or each other then I don't think we should ban multiple versions of the same players.

I also think it would be a good idea to name Niccea or some other veteran as an assistant to the comic to ease everyones access to it.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 6:00PM, July 12, 2010
(offline)
Sorry for stepping on your toes PP. I'm in hyper delegation mode right now.
Salsa at 7:31PM, July 12, 2010
(offline)
Product Placement
I also think it would be a good idea to name Niccea or some other veteran as an assistant to the comic to ease everyones access to it.

I think I hear a volunteer. >:)
RAGE!
Salsa at 4:12PM, July 14, 2010
(offline)
Done.

RAGE!
Hakoshen at 2:48PM, July 16, 2010
(offline)
I'll help with the comic. If the help is still needed.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
Niccea at 3:25PM, July 16, 2010
(offline)
It is it is.

List of who is working on what

We don't even need a full comic. Just a quick overview of what happened.
Product Placement at 10:09PM, July 18, 2010
(online)
Hey, I just reviewed a very old concept from one of the early games. Mafia recruiting townsfolks.

My current game concept has a Godfather who has this additional power:

Welcome to the family:
The godfather can turn one of the villagers into a made man, causing him to become a member of the mafia and can thus share in their victory. The target has to be a willing applicant and thus can not be changed into a mafia member without his permission. This will alter his alignment, turning him into a criminal (if he isn't one to begin with), and thus he needs to be lynched/killed in order for the town to win. This will not alter the role of the player in any way and he will still have access to his original powers. This power can only be used once.

I'm posting it here in the mafia discussion thread for storage.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Salsa at 11:21PM, July 18, 2010
(offline)
Although, that's interesting, It seems like the mayor could groom someone to be a mole. But then again if you have it where they can't switch back not many people would be interested.
RAGE!
Niccea at 6:18AM, July 19, 2010
(offline)
Yes. But the problem with that concept is it screwed up the numbers and made it hard to keep track of.

If you took a number off the role count without explanation, it would be obvious who was changed into a mafia. And when it comes to deciding if the mafia outnumbers the townies, you have to remember to count that one person as a mafia, not a townie.

But you also have to let them know that there is a “Made Man” so you have to add a number to the mafia tally.

….it caused me a headache and got me off on the calculations for my first game. It also didn't help that the random accepted to be a mafia. In that game, the random role was called the thief. He pretty much carried out the equivalent of horse heads in the name of the town.
Product Placement at 6:30AM, July 19, 2010
(online)
Well the other times it was used, the switch over to the mafia was always unofficial. The traiter was always in theory, still a townie.

Switching to the other side will have consequences. You are now mafia. This will give the mafia a better reason to trust the player who decided to move over to the other side. It will give the player a better reason to trust the mafia in return (since he now won't have to worry about them backstabbing them).

And of course, the act will be announced in the narration. The town will get to know that someone became a traitor.

I don't know. I want to experiment with this so I'm willing to deal with the extra “paperwork”. This might be the only time this power is ever given to the godfather.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 6:36AM, July 19, 2010
(offline)
I don't know what you mean by unofficial. Waff pretty much got a free-with-membership fedora.

-edit- But now going back, I remember what I did. I made “Converted Townie” a special role. But I'm pretty sure Waff was allowed to stab someone in the face every night. I cannot remember. And it looks like I never put up a list of roles because it was the third mafia game and it was a classic.
Product Placement at 6:47AM, July 19, 2010
(online)
Did the town have to kill waff, in that game, for it to win?

I'm not planing on granting the converted townie a killing power. All this does is allows the traitor to trust the side that he converted to better, since he now doesn't have to be killed by them in the long run. Of course, should they convert the serial killer or the vigilante, then in effect they've gained another hitman, but they could also try to convert the veteran, bodyguard or the paramedic. This all involves some risks though, since someone from the mafia will have to contact that player to see if he's interested in the conversion. That is the time they become vulnerable for becoming discovered.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 7:18AM, July 19, 2010
(offline)
Oh. Conversions were handled via GM.

The godfather would tell me who wanted to convert.

I would PQ them and say. The godfather requests that you join his family.

And they could say yes or no.

If it is a yes. The godfather contacts him afterward.

And I don't know about townie win conditions because the mafia won by numbers in that game
Product Placement at 7:27AM, July 19, 2010
(online)
Well. If the Mafia is steamrolling through the game with minimal casualty, then they wouldn't really need to use this ability of theirs, in theory. It was just something I thought of using in case the mafia was in a trouble, to extend their lifetime.

I don't think I've ever been in a game where the mafia is allowed to recruit players. People were just talking about it when I first joined.

The closest incident that I remember is when RedBaron joined the agents in the reverse mafia but since I was handling the final narration, I decided back then that he should have to die since he was pro-town and the agent victory condition was to get rid of all their enemies.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
crocty at 11:07AM, July 19, 2010
(offline)
Product Placement
Well. If the Mafia is steamrolling through the game with minimal casualty, then they wouldn't really need to use this ability of theirs, in theory. It was just something I thought of using in case the mafia was in a trouble, to extend their lifetime.

I don't think I've ever been in a game where the mafia is allowed to recruit players. People were just talking about it when I first joined.

The closest incident that I remember is when RedBaron joined the agents in the reverse mafia but since I was handling the final narration, I decided back then that he should have to die since he was pro-town and the agent victory condition was to get rid of all their enemies.
I can't remember if Hark actually told Baron his role, or if he just convinced him to protect him no questions asked.

I thought of another idea that may work well in practice. (But in theory I figure it'll be an annoyance)
Because in the first game, day cycles lasted two days, while night cycles last 1. This was to make campaigning for mayor, discussing clues etc. easier because you had much longer to do it.

I thought that maybe if the mayor had the ability to extend the day, or maybe there would be a vote on whether to extend it, in the case of there being arguments over who to vote for etc. I'd imagine the campaign day would be 2 days long anyway. Like I said, it may be an annoyance if the mayor chose to extend the day when it wasn't needed, so I'd probably make it 1) Limited probably to 1 use, and 2) An anonymous vote. I dunno why anonymous, I just think it'd be cooler.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Niccea at 9:01PM, July 19, 2010
(offline)
Ok. Crocty and I discussed this before. Would a horse head actually work on the paranoid? It has already been established that the godfather can successfully plant one without dying. Right now Crocty and I have been at the point that a paranoid can't not kill. So technically speaking…the paranoid might even be more jumpy after seeing a decapitated creature of the equine species.
Product Placement at 9:34PM, July 19, 2010
(online)
Heh, yeah. Logically, you're right.

I think this was discussed with responsive powers vs activating powers.

Responsive powers are abilities that players can't control, that are activated upon certain conditions (like the veterans ability to dodge danger).

Activating powers are abilities that players need to specifically activate, by PQing the GM (stuff like voting, killing, using detective powers, paramedic, similar).

The horsehead power should only affect activating powers, while responsive abilities remain in effect.

Since the bodyguard, veteran and paranoid, all have responsive abilities, they are not affected by the horehead attack (although they can't vote).

Alternatively, I've used a variation of the horsehead attack, where the player literally skips town for an entire day/night cycle. During this time, he can't be attack since he's not around to be targeted.

I guess in theory, the bodyguards ability to guard the leadership will be suppressed, since he's not around to perform his guardly duties ^^'
Of course, the mafia may not know that they just sent a bodyguard away…
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 7:10AM, July 20, 2010
(offline)
I allow people to vote after horseheading. But that's just because that is how BK did it.

I was just making sure. It really didn't come up in my game because Roku was horseheaded on one night and attacked on the next. Any horsehead effects would have worn off.
Zeph at 8:40AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
Never understood the point of horseheading…
You just throw a disembodied mare/stallion's head in someone's house, and what?

They eat it?

I mean if it doesn't have an effect to cancel voting, its pretty much a useless skill when used on a townie.
Comic The Mutha Flippin God of Airsoft

Rockin the WTF face.
CLEARLY AN OUTRAGE! CLEARLY!
wait what?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:56PM
Niccea at 8:51AM, July 20, 2010
(offline)
I always interpretted it as a counter to the paramedic. The paramedic prevents someone from killing a target. The horse head prevents a target from killing (or healing, detecting). Either way you don't know what is going to happen to your target.
Zeph at 8:56AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
I see.

Any thoughts on making a Clue Like mafia game?

Just with funny roles like Colenal Mustard….

Shut up, I find it funny that a fat man in a yellow coat is named after a bitter/sour… I can't quite pick out the taste spicy maybe? no… Tangy? Condement.

Rockin the WTF face.
wait what?
Niccea at 8:59AM, July 20, 2010
(offline)
the coat is mustard yellow.

Besides we will be less like the game and more like the movie.

Zeph at 9:03AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
Yeah I know where the name comes from.

but seriously, anyone think clue could be incorporated into it?

Actually, the more I think about it, the harder it is to put the two games together.

Damn.

I also had another thought. Possibly splitting mafia's gameplay.

Like two mafias, one for the classic styled games, and the other for grid based war games.

Well I guess it'd more be split into Mafia, and Chess/Battleship War. Just a suggestion.

Rockin the WTF face.
wait what?
Product Placement at 9:07AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
Zeph
Never understood the point of horseheading…
You've never watched the Godfather?

A singer named Johnny Fontane, who has mob ties, asks the godfather to help him land an important movie role. He sends a representative to Mr. Woltz, a big time Hollywood producer in order to convince him to cast Fontane. Mr. Woltz is promised mafia aid in order to deal with labor issues that he's having but he responds very unkindly and vows to make sure that Fontane will never get a good part in any movie. The Godfather asks that Mr. Woltz is sent a message and the next day he wakes up, finding he severed head of his price winning horse in his bed. The message of course was “You're next”. Naturally, Mr. Woltz cooperated from that point onwards.

Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Zeph at 9:15AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
Never really cared for the movie. No.

So about the idea to create two categories. Worth considering, or do you want to hit me for babbling?

Rockin the WTF face.
wait what?
Product Placement at 9:37AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
Zeph
Never really cared for the movie. No.
Your manhood card.

Hand it over.

As for your question. Well, you could always try and launch an independent grid based/battle game that's unrelated to the main mafia game and see if people are interested in it.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Zeph at 9:46AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
I don't watch many movies PP.

So it's no suprise I haven't seen God Father, getting me to sit down and watch a movie is like getting a cat to drive the car, very tedius, and annoying, and in the end its disasterous… as I walk away five minutes in cussing about how I'd rather be shot by a beanbag gun rather than sit through another cliche minute of lord of the rings.

Rockin the WTF face.
wait what?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon