Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Do you buy "outdated" or "damaged" stuff at your supermarket?
Lonnehart at 11:22PM, June 13, 2009
(online)
I tend to do this a lot, but mostly with outdated stuff. It tends to be cheaper, and I also use them as soon as I can. Of course, I do examine the stuff I buy. Dry goods are usually better than stuff stored in cans or jars. And the closer it's passed from its expiration date the better since there's less chance of mold growing on the stuff or having the thing gone bad.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Ozoneocean at 12:57AM, June 14, 2009
(online)

Uep, I buy outdated stuff sometimes. For some things it's better than others.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
HyenaHell at 3:32AM, June 14, 2009
(online)
Buy it? Why buy it when you can get it from their dumpster?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Skullbie at 3:35AM, June 14, 2009
(online)
Hyena H_ll

xD
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Ozoneocean at 5:39AM, June 14, 2009
(online)
Well no actually. :)
There's “best before” and “use by”, in Australia at least.

Many products have to have “best before” on because of government guidelines, it doesn't mean they'll go rotten by the date, it's just something they have to have. It's too complicated to explain why here, but onece they get close to or pass that date they can still be sold but because they've passed or neared the date they're less atractive to consumers so the only way to sell them is marking them down.

“Use by dates” are different, you can't sell stuff that has gone beyond that date. This one IS an indication that the item will probably be spoiled. If you buy something and keep it till after that date, it may go bad or it may not… usually it does.
But that's obvious…
parkbenchbook at 6:09AM, June 14, 2009
(offline)
Many supermarkets, in the U.S. anyway, will have a rack of flawed or changed out produce. Produce is expensive and you can save a lot of money if you pick up items from there. I would suggest not planning to store it too long (a night or two) and inspecting it as you would anything from regular produce.

Here's the thing though a blemish or small black spot (rot) on a (let's say) green pepper is no big deal. You just hack it off and toss it. It's not like meat, where it could actually be dangerous. You still want to make sure anything you buy is quality. Celery that has turned into rubber and will bend every way without snapping isn't going to taste the freshest.

Also, you're most likely eating produce with the less desirable parts cut out anyway. I worked in a food factory where you had to assembly-line-up, clean, and cut through hundreds upon hundreds of pounds of tomatoes. No factories going to sink the bottom line tossing whole tomatoes because one little piece doesn't look perfect. You slice off that section and the rest is perfectly fine. If you eat packaged foods, produce prepared in this fashion is in there and the same holds true for restaurants.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Hero at 6:22AM, June 14, 2009
(online)
When it comes to non-food merchandise, if it's still in tact or if still works despite damage to it or the packaging, I tend to buy it. Not because I want to save a dollar, but because I tend to feel sorry for stuff I know other people will be less likely to buy just because some jerk roughed it up. I'm a terrible consumer.
K.A.L.A-Dan: Rival!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
usedbooks at 6:25AM, June 14, 2009
(online)
As Ozone said, there's a difference between a “sell by” and “use by” date (and “best before” means practically nothing at all). Most stuff in grocery stores are marked with a “sell by.” They usually have a decent shelf life.

I used to work in a supermarket deli, so part of my job was checking the dates on things. And, of course, we had to stamp a “sell by” date on everything we sold. As far as I know, stores can't legally sell products after the sell by date… In my job, we would drastically mark down (to about half) nearly all deli and bakery products that were on the last day they were allowed to be sold. The next day, however, those items were thrown away. My biggest lament was that hot food was made daily and thrown away at the end of the day if not sold. I remember often throwing away 20 chickens a day and thinking about all the hungry people in the world. -_-

Anyway, for your question, yes, I buy marked down food a lot. I did it a lot when I worked in the deli because I was present when food was marked down, so I could snatch up the good deals for myself. “Best before” means very little to me, and “sell by” means a consumer will be able to keep the food for a decent shelf life. I trust myself to know when something is spoiled or stale. (I bought spoiled milk before, but it was not past the “sell by” date. The grocery store refrigerator was malfunctioning.)

Hyena H_ll
Our tasty deli chickens went into a trash compactor along with all the raw chicken garbage, cans, cleaning supplies, and everything else. It was then neatly compacted so no one but very ambitious mice could get to it. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
skoolmunkee at 6:35AM, June 14, 2009
(offline)
I only buy the stuff if it's something I was gonna buy anyway. :] The store I go to doesn't have much of a markdown rack because they keep on top of their turnover pretty well. It's usually just a few products they're discontinuing. They tend to keep their markdowns on the shelves and just advertise them as price points, and it seems to be usually because they have too much when they're expecting a new shipment and not because something about the merchandise is defective. If a box just gets roughed up or something they leave it in its normal shelf spot til someone buys it. England might be more practical about that kind of thing than America.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
usedbooks at 6:53AM, June 14, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
I only buy the stuff if it's something I was gonna buy anyway. :] The store I go to doesn't have much of a markdown rack because they keep on top of their turnover pretty well. It's usually just a few products they're discontinuing. They tend to keep their markdowns on the shelves and just advertise them as price points, and it seems to be usually because they have too much when they're expecting a new shipment and not because something about the merchandise is defective. If a box just gets roughed up or something they leave it in its normal shelf spot til someone buys it. England might be more practical about that kind of thing than America.
That's the way most stores I've been to in America are. Only really well-staffed stores or ones undergoing major renovations/changes have a “mark down rack.” Most I know just go through with a pricing gun (or stickers) and reprice any merchandise that isn't selling as it should. Some are different, though. There are actually chains (Big Lots, for example) that sell only overstocked or outdated goods.

I usually buy only what's on my list too, but there's a selection to choose from. Like if I'm buying spaghetti or something, I'll usually buy the generic brand unless there's a sale or markdown on a different one.

However, some items, like ice cream, are never on my shopping list but I buy them as a treat when there is a really good deal.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Aurora Borealis at 7:02AM, June 14, 2009
(online)
Well, over here they use one expiration date and theoretically it is illegal to sell anything after that date. Theoretically, as plenty of supermarkets have been caught doing it otherwise, for example old meat (forgot what is is but you soak the meat in it and it starts “looking” fresh again)… another case was with a supermarket that sold bundles of expired cans, wrapped in such fashion that you could NOT see the date on any of them.

Usually though they just lower the price and put it on sale a week or two before the date is up. Like recently, there was a long weekend (we have two holidays that happen pretty close and it overlapped with a weekend too so it was 4 days total) during which the 24h supermarket was closing. As a result, all their baked goods were discounted 75%-80% during the last four hours of the store being open. Yay me totally oblivious to that and walking into the last hour and picking up some good stuff for almost nothing (I regret I didn't have more money though)… it was still going to be good for two days, but it'd expire BEFORE the store would reopen…

Damn, now I'm hungry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Scribe_Drizz at 2:09PM, June 14, 2009
(online)
I've never done this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
Ryan_Scott at 2:26PM, June 14, 2009
(online)
When supermarket shopping I tend to keep an eye open for “outdated” and/or “damaged” women…

Marmite, on the other hand, I always buy fresh! Vegemite I believe has no ‘use by’ date as it's already motherfucking RUBBISH!!!

Just throwing that out there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:15PM
HyenaHell at 2:31PM, June 14, 2009
(online)
Ryan_Scott
When supermarket shopping I tend to keep an eye open for “outdated” and/or “damaged” women…

Marmite, on the other hand, I always buy fresh! Vegemite I believe has no ‘use by’ date as it's already motherfucking RUBBISH!!!

WTF is with you and the Marmite/Vegemite thing, dude? ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Ryan_Scott at 2:34PM, June 14, 2009
(online)
Dude I'll send you a jar of each and you can find out for yourself!!!
parkbenchbook at 2:36PM, June 14, 2009
(offline)
Lonnehart
I tend to do this a lot, but mostly with outdated stuff. It tends to be cheaper, and I also use them as soon as I can. Of course, I do examine the stuff I buy. Dry goods are usually better than stuff stored in cans or jars. And the closer it's passed from its expiration date the better since there's less chance of mold growing on the stuff or having the thing gone bad.

What I like best about your posts, is that you talk about food all the time. I'm remembering the crock-pot conversation; I still haven't come through with a recipe for you. I respect your sense of economy when it comes to making a quality meal. I've been known to cross-shop three different markets after reviewing as well as making notations from store-flyers, to build a reserve. I practically run a restaurant-stock in my apartment kitchen. Did you start the “What do you put in your coffee” thread? Seriously, keep it up. I'll talk about food until the windows are knighted by night, morning has snuffed the stars or I'm two parts got to eat hungry to one part creative.

parkbenchbook at 2:56PM, June 14, 2009
(offline)
Scribe_Drizz
I've never done this.

You must.
Scribe_Drizz at 3:31PM, June 14, 2009
(online)
parkbenchbook
Scribe_Drizz
I've never done this.

You must.

When I want to save money, I photosynthesize.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
Ryan_Scott at 4:51PM, June 14, 2009
(online)
Foraging is always good too… you'd be surprised the everyday garden plants which have edible roots and leaves…
ParkerFarker at 5:22PM, June 14, 2009
(online)
I live in America right now, so we ordered some Mint Slices off this Aussie catalogue website (like 2 packets) and we got a full box of packets, like 10 packets because they were outdated. That was great.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
HippieVan at 5:31PM, June 14, 2009
(online)
No, in my family we're the type who take the food at the back of the shelf(because they put the older stuff in front). We're a fussy lot.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
ParkerFarker at 5:34PM, June 14, 2009
(online)
Hyena H_ll
Ryan_Scott

WTF is with you and the Marmite/Vegemite thing, dude? ;)

yeah man, Vegemite is the fuckin shit. Not shit, THE fucking shit! Marmite is similar in tastes to a shit's shit.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
Ryan_Scott at 6:02PM, June 14, 2009
(online)
I'm going to write a comic dedicated to the marmite vs vegemite debate!!! That'll show you fuckers!
HippieVan at 6:37PM, June 14, 2009
(online)
…but they both taste like crap…
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Chernobog at 7:00PM, June 14, 2009
(offline)
I like to buy reduced produce. Usually means it'll turn in 2 days or so, but it's an excellent deal if you're using them imminently.

Years ago, there was a discount grocer at a flea market. It used to help me quite a bit during those poor years, but every so often I'd find an oatmeal pack with a millipede or two inside.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
parkbenchbook at 7:57PM, June 14, 2009
(offline)
Hippie Van
No, in my family we're the type who take the food at the back of the shelf(because they put the older stuff in front). We're a fussy lot.

Well, I do this too if paying full price. Who wants someone's browsing germs on the package, if it's not a deal?!
bravo1102 at 8:38AM, June 15, 2009
(offline)
The wife does. She also religiously cuts coupons and we get $100 worth of food for $50. You have to when you're poor.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Ozoneocean at 8:44AM, June 15, 2009
(online)
Hippie Van
…but they both taste like crap…
You're obviously deranged. :(
ParkerFarker
yeah man, Vegemite is the fuckin shit. Not shit, THE fucking shit! Marmite is similar in tastes to a shit's shit.
I hear ya man! Preach it!
Ryan_Scott
I'm going to write a comic dedicated to the marmite vs vegemite debate!!! That'll show you fuckers!
It's about time. get the word out man!

Seriously though, with Vegemite, it tastes better the older it is. It gets this lovely beery taste. Except better, like the best beer ever!
Which is saying something, since I don't like beer that much…
patrickdevine at 9:23AM, June 15, 2009
(online)
That's really just about all they sell at Grocery Outlet. I remember once my family got three-year old soda there once. So yeah, I buy stuff that's a little past it's sell-by date.
(By the way does this mean that I'll be seeing a comic of Ryan_Scott vs. Ozone? That would be cool!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
ParkerFarker at 4:36PM, June 15, 2009
(online)
we definitely need a Vegemite Vs. Marmite comic. And while we're at it we need a Forum Category.

Vegemite Vs. Marmite

before posting in some random food thread in General
Discussion about how much Vegemite pwns Marmite, post it here,…………………………………1,098,756
they are too annoying NOT to have their own category
Mod: Ozoneocean,Ryan_Scott

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon