MAFIA... and other forum games

DrunkDuck Mafia!
Ozoneocean at 10:57PM, Jan. 22, 2009
(online)
I for one don't want the mafia to win either.

To that end I will assure people that even if I DON'T get voted in, I'm not going to be holding any grudges and will in fact work WITH whoever does and support them to the best of my ability- as long as they're focused on protecting us townies!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
skoolmunkee at 2:03AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
I am surprised and humbled by my votes, I never considered myself in the running. I had always thought that other, more capable people would step forward. I would not want to be mayor but would consider the job if enough people felt that there was no better candidate.

Ultimately these candidtates leave me with doubt about their ability to fulfil their promises!

How can these candidates protect us from the mafia, as they promise so strongly to do? The most they can do is protect one person at a time, and only if they are up for lyching- playing favorites if I ever heard it! Do you want that kind of corruption in your public office? Mafia is a dirty business but in today's modern world politicians are least trusted of all.

How can these candidates protect you from the mafia? They don't even know who they are, if they are honest people- only if they are mafia themselves will they know who of us is mafia (and in that case, I would not want them as mayor)! Of course he can make big promises about keeping people safe from Mafia- he has two bodyguards of his very own, he feels twice as secure as any of us. I have lived a long time in this Mafia-infested town and haven't died yet, but two bodyguards would sure make anyone feel more confident about their chances.

Surely he can use ‘clues’ to try and puzzle out who are Mafia… but clues must be interpreted and can be interpreted wrongly. The mayor can lynch up to 3 people (and the pardoner may or may not decide you are worth saving)- are you, as an innocent person, willing to sacrifice your life in a mayor's singleminded purpose of wiping out Mafioso? Don't forget that the Mayor gets 3 votes, so even if your friends vote not to lynch you, the mayor may outvote them! And any mayor would surely use the town's vigilantes and detectives as much as he could- do you want a vigilante killing you in the night, or a detective digging into your past, just because you have done something that made him suspicious?

These are not accusations against current candidates, nor am I trying to scare you- but I think we should consider the ramifications of our decisions. I don't know the solution to the mafia problem other than simply doing our best to keep on top of all clues, use our resources to protect one another, pool our information, and organize our skills to most effectively investigate suspicious people. I'm sure any of the mayoral candidates are saying ‘yes, of course’ at this point, but none of them have come up with a plan to do these things. Thus I have decided to share some of my ideas.

I have not had much time to think about these, and I welcome debate, but these are the things I would do if I were mayor, and hope any mayor of our town would do, to protect its people:

A. Give my bodyguards to townies at night, so everyone has an fair chance at extra protection. (This would also leave the Pardoner without extra protection, but as runner-up to the mayor he should be willing to make this sacrifice- we can also ask a bodyguard or paramedic to watch him as he is a known townie in danger)

B. Ask ‘special role’ townies to identify themselves to me in private, and agree to work with me to find out clues, protect townies in danger, consider doing as I ask when it comes to their skills, etc

C. Ask detectives to investigate specific suspicious people, and I can announce their findings to the town each morning so the knowledge can be used for the town's benefit

D. Assign bodyguards and the paramedic to watch over any specifically endangered townies at night, for example someone who has been targeted but survived in the past

E. Ask Paramedics and any other ‘saving’ roles to report whether a person they were watching was targeted, and any clues

F. I will not assign anyone to the Paranoid townie (if he makes himself known to me, as a special townie I hope he would) as anyone who targets the Paranoid will be killed (in every case or just once BK?)

G. Ask vigilantes to work WITH the mayor's office and the town rather than independently, so we may pool our clues and learn if a vigilante's action was prevented, or make use of a vigilante's action to elminate a known mafia before he can kill in the night

H. Use the mayoral and Pardoner powers to protect valuable townies from lynching (who will have made themselves known to me - otherwise there may not be certainty about them at lynch time)

I hope this information helps us make a wise decision for Mayor. This is a complicated business and there are no easy solutions, but there are certainly actions we can take. It worries me that no one to this point has figured them out as I have.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
Ozoneocean at 2:41AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
Well there's NO denying Skool is a clever cookie and if I'm voted mayor I'd definitely take all this advice to heart and work with it as much as I can.

…But…
I don't want to be negative here, but…
Perhaps there's a reason that Skoolmunkee as mayor wouldn't need those bodyguards?

I'm just pondering here, but it's best to be cautious. She makes a great and convincing case and even I am tempted to change my vote for myself to one for her… But do we really know who we're electing? And if we don't, is it safe to tell them all our special identities?

That doesn't seem like such a good idea to me.
skoolmunkee at 2:53AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
Everyone takes a risk just by living in this town, but it will be up to people to report whether they have a special role or not. If they do, the mayor can use their skills and then protect them from mafia hits or lynching or whatever… it would be better if all the townies knew who each other were, but because we can't tell yet who the mafia are we can't just go making everything public. But that is a direction to move toward. People could choose NOT to reveal themselves and to work independently, but that would make the town less effective, and would leave them open to being lynched, or losing the possibility of getting a bodyguard for a night.

I did also just realize that leaving the mayor totally unprotected is probably a bad idea! I'll admit there is a reason there that my thinking was weak (beyond being caught up in big promises) but it's probably not the reason you think. So I suppose it would be prudent for a mayor to keep one bodyguard. That still leaves one to be assigned to other people (which is more than they would have got otherwise), and hopefully the Paramedic too. Even with three ‘free’ bodyguards that would not have been enough to protect all townies so I couldn't promise that everyone is protected all the time, but at least it's better than the mayor keeping both and the paramedic choosing to protect a person out of preference or at random (or not at all). Some people like the Paranoid won't need protection so it isn't like everyone has to be covered.

Let's face it, everyone running for mayor WANTS to be mayor for SOME reason, and it's a bit useless to try and second-guess why. Everyone ought to be suspicious of every candidate lol! If I were cynical I could guess that EVERYONE running is mafia and the whole thing is a big organized conspiracy… I thought at least I could try running on the basis of good ideas and not suspicion!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
gullas at 3:00AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
But really it dosen't matter who the mayor is cause the mayor will get the bodyguards and can't be killed untill those two are dead. So it pretty reasonable why many townsfolk want to become the mayor, including myself. It is my believe that those who put much effort into their capaigns are either pretty paranoid about their status or might be a part of the mafia. We don't know. All I am saying is that even though we try and try as we might, the status of an mayor is a corrupted position wich many people would kill for.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
skoolmunkee at 3:19AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
Well, why do you think I said that the mayor should be willing to give up at least one of their bodyguards? I initially said both but I guess that was really unwise, they need one if they're to know privileged information about townies and be able to stay alive long enough to coordinate a good effort. Townies could get along without any mayor but I imagine it's a lot more confusing.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ozoneocean at 3:22AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
Well with me, I'm not in it for myself. What does it matter if I'm protected by bodyguards and the mafias kill most of the own anyway? I still end up dead in the end regardless. You'd be an idiot to want to be mayor for the protection ofthe bodyguards alone.

Skool has the right idea in that keeping the TOWN safe keeps YOU safe.

She has an analytical mind and plans things out well, while I'm more of a big-picture, concept thinker. I like to take all aspects on board and then see what can be done about it. I assimilate all the knowledge I can before going out and taking action- Just so that when I DO take it, I take the RIGHT action.

But the last thing I want to do is compromise anybody, or convince them they need to be compromised. Whoever you elect mayor could be mafias, and because of that, info shoud be kept secret. Just in case.

Besides. I know if I was mafia and the mayor asked people to reveal their special roles, I'd say I was a paramedic or something, and where would the plan be then?
skoolmunkee at 3:37AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
Besides. I know if I was mafia and the mayor asked people to reveal their special roles, I'd say I was a paramedic or something, and where would the plan be then?

Not much you can do if people decide to do that, but hopefully a mayor would be able to gather information to weed out the liars, or find fakes by their inability to perform a task. :] There's not enough mafia to fake everybody. I still think that kind of thing is preferable to everyone going around acting independently and possibly killing innocent people and such. As you said, not everything would become clear, so it would take an analytical mind to work out the right decisions. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ozoneocean at 4:00AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
Well, we can agree that your analytical skills are valuable. But it takes a big picture thinker such as myself to see things from all angles and see any potential pitfalls that might finish us.

As such, I'm ideally suited to be in a position of oversight: mayor :)
skoolmunkee at 4:12AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
Just because you say I'm not a big picture thinker and that you are, doesn't make it true. T_T The whole reason my ideas sound plausible is because I can see how they work in the big picture. I'm the only one here who has actually already DONE something useful and we haven't even started yet lol!

I've at least put an effort into making plans and working some things out ahead of time, and proven my thinking ability- what do you do? Promise to use my ideas and then continue talking rhetoric or just making things up.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ozoneocean at 4:28AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
I don't come up with any counter plans because YOU have been clever enough to have thought up a decent strategy already! It would be foolish of me to confuse things and muddy the waters by copying you and offering cheap imitation alternatives!

—————-

All I can say is that as mayor I would pledge to make use of that magnifficent brain of yours, as well as anyone else who comes up with some great ideas like that.

Because coordinating people and giving everyone's ideas consideration, equal weight, and careful scrutiny is one of my biggest strengths :)

Here's my campaign poster on my comic page;
http://www.drunkduck.com/white_and_black/?p=511348
Niccea at 5:46AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
Ahem! Since my vote for Ozone still has not been tallied yet, I switch over to Skoolmunkee. Congratulations on the compelling speech. I might get over the fact that you said my name sounded like a high end tea…maybe not.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
skoolmunkee at 5:53AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
I am flattered. :) Thank you Niccea, martinlo_23, and odysseus55 for your confidence in my ideas!

I can draw a picture of me in a hat too! And I'm gonna!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Niccea at 6:11AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
Ahem. I would like to through one more thing into the pot. I was reading up on the role rules and I would advise you to be careful who you vote for. The Mayor can declare one insta-lynch per game. There is no way out of this lynch. Not even the pardoner could help the sorry soul. So I would advise that you don't piss off the new mayor.

I would recommend that we choose a mayor that we think will not abuse the insta-lynch power. Even though it only happens once. The two candidates with the most votes right now are Ozone and Monkee. It may seem that they are almost tied, but I know that BlackKitty forgot to count poor harkovast's vote.
Ozoneocean at 6:25AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
That's not a worry in my case Niccea.
You changing your vote stings, I can't deny it. But I'd never hold that against you or anyone.

If I get voted in there will be no reprisals. I'll only use my powers to go after the guilty. And even then I'll have to work long and hard to find out who those are. :(

Wasting lives by lynching people just because they changed their vote would be shooting myself and our whole town in the foot!
The only way this town is going to beat the mafias is by trying to keep the good guys alive!

—————-
I know I'm sabotaging my own campaign for mayor by telling you you can change your votes without worry that I'll try and get revenge on you because of it, but that doesn't matter. What matters right now is our town and running a positive campaign free from fear and intimidation!

BTW, here's my poster from my comic:
Niccea at 6:49AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
Like I said. You already have to position clenched and the voting machine was broken. I'm trying to make sure that two people that seem trustworthy get the jobs they deserve. If we can't trust our admins who can we trust.

You have my support just not the vote.
odysseus55 at 7:54AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
Niccea you must PQ your vote to BK for it to count.

Where did you find the rules? I followed the link Black Kitty put up but did not see rules anywhere. I am soooo lost.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
skoolmunkee at 8:00AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
Black Kitty's first post in this thread goes over some basic rules (no sharing info after you're dead, etc), and in the thread she linked, in the first post THERE she describes how the game ‘goes’ in voting cycles. Then, if you scroll a little ways down to a large blue quoted section, she describes each role and its powers which is really where the interesting aspects come into the game. :]

If you have any specific questions I'm sure she would be happy to answer them, I've already asked her a few. I think she said she would not be back onto the internet today until it was time to tally mayoral votes though.

I bet a lot of us have never played this before so for people who are really unsure, just play as best you can and things will become more obvious after seeing the game being played.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Vakanai at 8:11AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
the2ndredbaron
Do as you say, not do as you do?
All you seem to do is misquote people and take things out of context. You seem to have missed this form that very same paragraph:

"Especially since you have no clues or evidence to go on yet"

The entire context of what I was saying there is that I had been in extensive communication and SO had reason, not just that I did suspect.

In fact I'm STILL in communication with him and I reserve my judgement till further on in the game. That's how I roll.
-Unlike some it seems. Unfortunately. :(
All I know is that I better not be on your ‘possible mafia’ list just because I'm running against you. If I'm the first guy you hang we'll all know you can't be trusted. Just saying, I'm watching you.O_o
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
the2ndredbaron at 8:28AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
I here by withdraw my nomination as it has become apparent the little man can not compete with the power of the admin. And although fun it would be foolish to try.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
skoolmunkee at 8:39AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
I hope no one thinks we should be mayor because we're admins. :] We're just the ones putting up the most fight I think!

(I can never let ozone have an easy win)

edit: speelign
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Black_Kitty at 9:29AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
I'm kind of around it's just that work is going through exam period right now so I'm usually called to supervise an exam. I have some votes in my PQ box but I rather tally them at home (on a computer that is not haunted >.>)

Quick Q ~; )

Do I have to PQ you my vote?
Yes you do. I won't count it unless it's PQed. This is so that if I have to double check the votes, it'll be easier and it is a nice neat way to abide by the first come first serve rule.

How does DAY 1 cycle (election) work?
Players cast a vote for one player and the player with the most vote is mayor. The player with the second most votes is pardoner.

Can bodyguards be allocated to another person?
That is a very interesting ability and I would totally put that in for game 2~ Unfortunately for this particular game no. The bodyguards only protect the mayor and the pardoner. Only the mayor knows who the bodyguards are.

Halp! Where are the roles?
In the sign-up thread but when I get back home I'll edit my first post and put that in for easy access.

I feel kind of bad that it is not clear. I was reluctant to throw all these rules out because I didn't want to overwhelm everyone with rules. So I figure I'll go bit by bit. Guess that didn't go over too well. ^^;;

Halp! What happens afterwards?
At around 8 PM EST the polls will close. (I will be online earlier than that though.) I will then calculate the votes, inform the mayor/pardoner, ask the mayor who he/she wants to insta-lynch (mayor can also choose to abstain), inform the bodyguards, and then write a narrative. Then the night cycle will begin.

Because there are limited number of players with a night ability, the night cycle is shorter. Instead of 48 hours it will be 24 hours. The count will start once the narrative is up. All actions will be taken on a first come first serve basis.

Then I will close the night cycle, write a narrative with clues/red herrings, and post it up. Then it will be a day cycle! .>
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
skoolmunkee at 9:35AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
Black_Kitty
Can bodyguards be allocated to another person?
That is a very interesting ability and I would totally put that in for game 2~ Unfortunately for this particular game no. The bodyguards only protect the mayor and the pardoner. Only the mayor knows who the bodyguards are.

Boooooo :[

But a person could still voluntarily identify themselves, and then cooperate through PQs to protect a given person?
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Mutation at 10:29AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
Can't our votes be anonymous as a question? Also, I totally didn't notice the PQ vote rule. Whoops. u.u

KALA-Dan! Reverse Trap!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
waff at 11:43AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
i agree with mutation

'there is no “overkill” there is only “open fire” and “time to reload” rule #37
the things on my box are a dead squirell, a medal and a paper bag hat.
ow! I have shards of the fourth wall in my eye!
WAFF-MAN!! as of mafia VI
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:43PM
Vakanai at 11:53AM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
I voted skoolmunkee. Cause voting for yourself is cheap.
And Ozone seems shifty…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Niccea at 12:12PM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
Vakanai
voting for yourself is cheap.

Actually, someone told me once: “If you aren't going to vote for yourself, why the hell are you running?”
Black_Kitty at 12:16PM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
Boooooo :[

But a person could still voluntarily identify themselves, and then cooperate through PQs to protect a given person?

You can definitely voluntarily identify yourself. (You just can't screenshot the PQs I send.)

Just that the bottomline is that the bodyguards protect the mayor and the pardoner. If a paramedic identified themselves to you and offered their services to whomever you please, then yes~ It's just that the bodyguards do not possess medic abilities. It is simply their presence that offers protection to specific individuals.

I'm sorry guys if I'm not clear. :( I'll try to be more clear in the future.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
skoolmunkee at 12:49PM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
I think it's just that we haven't played it yet (or most of us haven't I'm guessing) so we aren't sure how everything might work :) I think you are explaining things fine.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ozoneocean at 1:00PM, Jan. 23, 2009
(online)
No one is going to get any extra protection from Bodyguards, so Skool's plans are only semi-possible to impliment. Turns out her plans weren't as careful as she thought.

That said, they were still a good idea based on what she thought she knew! But as mayor I won't be basing my strategies an incorrect assumptions :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon