Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Duck Ettiquite
magickmaker at 7:31AM, Feb. 11, 2006
(offline)
Does or doesn't Duck ettiquite say that if someone posts on your comic, it is the gentlemanly (or lady-like) thing to check out their comic? Can you think of more Drunk Duck ettiquite? Not complaining, just curious.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Black_Kitty at 7:36AM, Feb. 11, 2006
(online)
Not that I know of? Certainly it's not a rule but most people, after seeing you comment on their comic a few times, tend to get curious and check out yours.

I personally think that if someone took the time to make a thoughtful and reasonable critique on your comic, proper etiquette would demand that you don't blast them out of the waters, even if you don't necessarily agree with their critique.

.: Black Kitty :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
coinilius at 7:37AM, Feb. 11, 2006
(online)
That's always been the unwritten rule I operate by, but it's really up to the individual as to what they want to do - but it's also a great way to check out comics that you may otherwise have missed out on. I've found some great comics through checking out and replying to people who have commented on my comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
subcultured at 10:21AM, Feb. 11, 2006
(online)
most of the comic i add to my favorites list are the people who comment on my comic. It's like having a connection with that individual as both of us comment on each other's work.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Ozoneocean at 11:25AM, Feb. 11, 2006
(online)
Reciprocating comments isn't that important. I mean, you should never comment with the expectation of receiving a comment in return. What is important is being polite and friendly, taking the time to look around and leave a few good comments, and not being rude when you're being critical.

It's very important not to be rude when being critical because the critique you've taken the time to write will always been taken the wrong way and any helpful advice you've given will be ignored. So you'll really just be wasting your time…
But I find advice delivered in a friendly way is usually well received.

Another good thing is if you’re going to leave a really low rating, you should explain why. It’s just that people tend to get very offended by that sort of thing, and an explanation can help them by telling them what they did wrong in your eyes.

So that’s some etiquette.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
marine at 11:57AM, Feb. 11, 2006
(offline)
I give fives out to people who give me fives.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Terminal at 1:01PM, Feb. 11, 2006
(online)
Well it nice to comment on other people`s pages, You don`t always have to do it. But it`s nice to interact with other comicers that like your work, you might even find something good.

It`s better to comment with something meaningful and not just a 5, means more and is usually polite-r (That`s not a word, is it?)

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
marine at 2:55PM, Feb. 11, 2006
(offline)
I don't really like any webcomics. The ones I did like have long since ended.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Hawk at 3:01PM, Feb. 11, 2006
(online)
ozoneocean
But I find advice delivered in a friendly way is usually well received.

That reminds me of one time when I visited a comic made in MS Paint. It was almost completely impossible to understand because the font was so small and the .JPG compression was so cruddy that everything looked awful.

I left what I thought was a friendly comment answering the author's question about why nobody ever comments on his comic. I gave advice on choosing a better JPG compreesion and the possibility of leaving out l337-speak.

The very next day I returned to the comic, which had a new page stating that he was completely quitting webcomics because “apparently nobody can understand my comic”. Also, my comment was muted.

I almost felt bad, but then I had to laugh. This kid just wasn't ready for the internet. Maybe he's grown up a little since then.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
subcultured at 4:18PM, Feb. 11, 2006
(online)
i remeber the infamous rhino comic when dd was still starting.

i give advice when they really need it and i usually dont put anything lower than 5 unless i really dont get it. if i i think they can be heleped i just give advice without the 5.

but im a nice guy who give out 5's everywhere just for trying :D
J
spaz201 at 8:01PM, Feb. 11, 2006
(offline)
When I see a new reader in my commetn box I always click on their name and see what they've got. I may no comment or give a rating my first time, But If I see them one or two more times at my comic I'm usually commenting or giving a five. But some times I just skip the whole process and start commenting from the get go. It really depends on what I feel like doing at that moment.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Ozoneocean at 11:55PM, Feb. 11, 2006
(online)
Hahahahaha! Thanx man ^_^
I do actually read them all though. It can be very interesting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
MagickLorelai at 1:41PM, Feb. 13, 2006
(offline)
When someone leaves a comment on my page, I try to check them out when I have the time to. If I like what I see (and very often I do), I'll leave a comment and a rating. Typically. Sometimes, I don't have anything intelligent to say, so I don't comment.

I admit, I would like it if they did the same, but I don't have much of an archive, nor reputation, nor “quality of art” to incur much of a positive reaction. Still, I don't EXPECT reciprocation.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Terminal at 6:45PM, Feb. 13, 2006
(online)
Is it just me, or is the black links and grey been to links a good idea?

I mean, that`s how I tell when I been to a comic and liked it, or what comic I haven`t been to. And even what comic I despise.

I usually, just go around checking everything out, and sometimes commenting because I liked it, or not commenting because I`m lazy, even though I liked it. That`s how I do.

skoolmunkee at 1:42AM, Feb. 14, 2006
(offline)
Myxomatosis

I mean, that`s how I tell when I been to a comic and liked it, or what comic I haven`t been to. And even what comic I despise.

I removed the link in your post, because your use wasn't very nice ettiquitte. :) You can make your point without linking to any specific comics.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
Terminal at 4:21PM, Feb. 14, 2006
(online)
skoolmunkee
Myxomatosis

I removed the link in your post, because your use wasn't very nice ettiquitte. :) You can make your point without linking to any specific comics.

I see, it`s also very ironic.

sorry.. :(

Picselly at 5:47PM, Feb. 14, 2006
(online)
Whenever someone comments at my comic, I always feel obligated to comment on theirs and give them a 5… I know it's not good for me to do that though. But I don't usually post comments back anymore because it's easy to tell when someone's only commenting so that I comment at theirs. There was one person whose comic I commented on because they did so at mine, and then they started to post at my comic and email me every time they updated or when I wasn't visiting them or just pestering me for something about their comic. It was… very irritating.

And like, Jadedwinter71, popular comics are the ones I usually never comment on. There're just too many other comments there already so it feels pointless for me to repeat what was already said. xDD Plus, I feel like I'm sucking up. xD

So much repitition of the words “comic” and “comment”. ¬¬;;
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
subcultured at 5:54PM, Feb. 14, 2006
(online)
even though there might be a lot, i read all my comments and appreciate everyone commenting, it makes my day.
J
Gregory at 7:01PM, Feb. 21, 2006
(offline)
As far as Duck-iquette goes, I don't believe it's fair to obligate anyone to do anything. If someone puts up an amazing comic and everyone comments, but the author never visits a single commentor's comic, it wouldn't be considered rude, at least not to the extent that you would blackball that individual's work. I'm going to be completely honest when I lay down these three things that I most closely consider when deciding whether or not to visit a commentor's comic (because I don't visit them all):

1. Their reputation. Honestly, there are names you see more of than others. There are people you know who produce better work than others. It's a simple fact. So, get involved in the community and don't produce garbage.

2. Their avatar. This may seem shallow and childish, as if I were judging a book by its cover, but in my defense, if I don't judge books by their covers, I would have to read every single book start to finish to make a proper evaluation. I don't have time for that. So, when I see avatars that depict a Paint-drawn character with a bland expression, I feel very little desire to look at that person's comic.

3. Their message. If you say something smart and original on my comic page, or hell, on someone elses' that I'm reading, I'm tempted to see what more you have to say. This is the most important part of determining whether or not I investigate a commentor's comic. I love smart people. I love people who make me think and reconsider the world as I know it. I also love praise. If someone combines the two of them into one mega-comment, I'm almost certain to look at their comic.

Now…these criteria have little to do with etiquette, but I find that these are some subconscious factors that everyone is influenced by. Consider that when leaving comments. Myself? I prefer to silently read, though I realize how much everyone eats up positive feedback. So, I limit myself to one very long, truthful comment on the comics I like and read the rest silently. I'm probably wrong, but I like to think this is much more effective in redirecting traffic than someone who returns every day to a comic and leaves a ‘5’ with no comment.

Just look at this post here! It didn't need to be this long, but I'd prefer to get as much out of the way now than to return over and over again to clarify and debate small points. But, this is what I've learned over the years on the internet: Don't be a moron and people tend to listen and respect you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon