Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Energy Drinks/'Shots'?
Skullbie at 3:05PM, April 26, 2008
(online)
Do any of you like energy drinks? What's your favorite and why is it good?

I dislike the taste of energy drinks personally; but I'm going to try a tiny pack of ‘SCREAMIN ENERGY’ diluted in some water so it doesn't kill my taste buds come Monday.

Would you recommend energy drinks to someone who wanted a lift in spirit or just for people working out? :)

(shots are what they call really small energy drinks I guess)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:45PM
kyupol at 4:07PM, April 26, 2008
(online)
Those things are bad for your health. Stay away from them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Lonnehart at 5:49PM, April 26, 2008
(online)
Never tried those drinks. Watched a friend do that to stay awake at work, and didn't like the fact that he was constantly trembling.

If I want to stay awake, I bring some fresh fruit to work. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
HippieVan at 7:17PM, April 26, 2008
(online)
Two friends of mine are filling their locker with empty energy drink cans.

Personally I can't drink energy drinks because I'm very twitchy even without caffeine, and with it I can't stop moving and I scare people.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
lothar at 7:25PM, April 26, 2008
(offline)
hahahah , i buy them by the dozen , or ten , metric system here . mostly stuff with taurine or guarana . Energy drinks are everywhere in Japan and Everybody drinks them , from 3 years old to 90 . the average vending machine is almost exclusively devoted to a mix of 50% energy drinks and 50% coffee . i just drank one rite now while i was writing this , theres no escaping them
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
TheTopHat at 7:59PM, April 26, 2008
(offline)
I don't really like the taste but i drink alot of coffie.

But i have seen my bother have his liver fail from drinking to must redbull.

But he was drinking it again in a mouth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
Baconators at 11:49PM, April 26, 2008
(offline)
I've taken sips of a few different ones, and they tasted alright, but not enough to turn me into a regular. Doesn't make me much better than people who drink ‘em though, since I still drink excessive amounts of coffee. And that’s not even to keep awake, but rather just because I love the taste of coffee =P
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
imshard at 12:33AM, April 27, 2008
(offline)
hehe Caffeine.
Energy drinks (aka shockers, juicers, happyhappyfuntimers, joydrinks, kicks in a can, etcetera) are Extremely bad for you and should be avoided if possible.

Myself? I live on them. In my line of work it is necessary to stay awake and focused, on very boring material, for very Loooong periods of time. It wreaks havoc on your health, sleep pattern, and state of mind though.

Don't use unless you REALLY need to stay awake, and try standard soda drinks first with smaller amounts of caffeine in them.
Use good old fashioned water and or gatorade for working out.
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:58PM
DAJB at 12:57AM, April 27, 2008
(online)
They're a fad. It amazes me that people can get so worked up about the “additives” in ordinary juices and then argue that energy drinks have all this good stuff inside them.

Eat and drink sensibly and you don't need to pour that junk inside you!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Frostflowers at 1:01AM, April 27, 2008
(online)
All the energy drinks I've ever tried all taste so… chemical. And they don't really do anything, either. If I want to be able to stay awake for longer, I'll resort to sugar and willpower (because coffee tastes like eurgh.)
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Pineapple at 1:15AM, April 27, 2008
(online)

If I need to stay up to study I get myself a can of coke. That usally does me for he small scale stuff, but when I need to stay up all night I go for the Red Bull or those Monster enery drinks. Has anyone ever read the side of one of those monster cans? It's quite funny. It says “we made an enery drink because… we tried to make a relaxation drink but we all fell asleep, we didn't want to pretend that it's good for you and it turns your pee a really cool colour” (it has a lot of vitamin B).

Anyway, just for the fun of it, do a wiki search on Red Bull, or more specifically on tuarine (or however you spell it). I found it quite enlightening. Enjoy!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Custard Trout at 2:55AM, April 27, 2008
(offline)
They taste disgusting, like drinking distilled factory waste.

Unless Irn Bru counts, I like that.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
Ozoneocean at 5:30AM, April 27, 2008
(online)
You want a true artificial energy boost? Screw energy drinks and caffeine! What works is a lot of glucose, ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, adrenaline, amphetamine, coca, cocaine…

And some of those truly are seriously bad for you. But they will work ;)

But mild stuff like Coffee and energy drinks will still give you a bit of a boost, especially if your body isn't used to them. I remember when 3 cups of brewed coffee would leave me twitchy for the rest of the day. lol!

In the end, that's the thing , your body becomes used to it and the effect doesn't work. You just think it does, which is sort of the same thing to most people… Thank goodness coffee and energy drinks aren't as dangerous as cocaine and amphetamines though. People still become as dependent of them…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
Pineapple at 7:12AM, April 27, 2008
(online)

Since no-one looked it up: “Taurine is named after the Latin taurus, which means bull or ox, as it was first isolated from ox bile in 1827”
Ozoneocean at 7:28AM, April 27, 2008
(online)
Wiki says it naturally occurs in the bile of most creatures including humans, but that it doesn't actually do much that's proven when used in energy drinks… except that I suppose it simulates some of the taste of the worst part of vomit: when all the acid is puked up and all you're left with is stinking yellow bile. :)

I did that last week. YUCK! >.<

It might perhaps reduce muscle fatigue, but no one knows for sure. Seems the only creatures that really benefit from it are cats. But then this is wiki…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
Raccoo at 10:33AM, April 27, 2008
(online)
I tried red bull once, but it didn't give me wings. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM
Skullbie at 11:14AM, April 27, 2008
(online)
Huh. Taurines supposed to be really healthy for your cat and needed for their vision too,

I tried 1/3 bag od screamin energy in a full bottle of water. The taste was fine but just 1/3 the packet had me pretty twitchy. lol!
Hate to know what the full thing would do.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:45PM
Arashi_san at 11:34AM, April 27, 2008
(offline)
I think that energy drinks are generally less healthy than water, which is usually a better alternative for universal purposes, though there are exceptions. If you don't want to drink an energy drink that's unhealthy, I suggest doing a little research and find those with nutritional value that don't have any detriment.

They are out there… though they may taste like crap.
shifting in the wind… is a baby.
K.A.L.A.-dan! Ronin!
also here
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:00AM
SuperBiasedMan at 12:45PM, April 27, 2008
(offline)
Arashi_san
I think that energy drinks are generally less healthy than water, which is usually a better alternative for universal purposes, though there are exceptions. If you don't want to drink an energy drink that's unhealthy, I suggest doing a little research and find those with nutritional value that don't have any detriment.

Really though, pretty much anything is bad for you.
Drinking too much water for example can be incredibly dangerous. Drink a lot of anything and it's really bad for you. But only drink a little once in a while and you should be fine. (this obviously excludes things like mercury…)
cosB<sinFELD
If you've done trigonometry, like me, you smile at this.
Then realise what you've done and die a little inside.
No need to thank me for that. :D
Now read this: http://www.drunkduck.com/Super_Biased_Man/index.php?p=395506
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
patrickdevine at 8:36PM, April 27, 2008
(online)
The last few times I've had energy drinks I've had to sit still and take calls. It made me a bit too aware of my racing pulse and increased body temperature. In hindsight having a 24-oz caffeine bomb was probably a bad idea. I actually sort of like Red Bull, and even though it's not quite an energy drink I can't stand Mountain Dew. I tried Brawndo the Thirst Mutilator a while ago, it tasted like lime Jello and tooth decay. All in all I'm more of the coffee/tea persuasion.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
dueeast at 9:07AM, April 28, 2008
(offline)
I have a few favorites:

Red Bull - it works, tastes good and has 3 sizes, depending on how tired you are and how much money you're willing to spend.

Full Throttle - usually works, tastes good. 2 variations.

AMP - Super Mountain Dew, in regular and Cherry, and it works. Nuff said.

I will not drink any drink with sweeteners (personal taste preference and I don't 100% trust sweeteners), which is why I've never tried Monster or Rock Star or some of the others. Rock Star also uses milk (why?) so I can't drink that (I'm lactose intolerant).

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
carly_mizzou at 5:05PM, April 29, 2008
(online)
patrickdevine
… it tasted like lime Jello and tooth decay.

That's the best taste description ever! I do energy drinks but 99% of the time the taste is killer bad. The ones that are the worst are the little shots! The ones in the little red bottle.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
lba at 5:36PM, April 29, 2008
(online)
The glaceau vitamin water energy drinks are pretty good. They taste kind of weird, like juice and sparkling water mixed, but they have a pretty big effect compared to other energy drinks. Especially if you've built up a tolerance to caffeine since they only have a small amount and use vitamins and other stuff to give you energy instead.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Arashi_san at 5:52PM, April 29, 2008
(offline)
SuperBiasedMan
Arashi_san

Really though, pretty much anything is bad for you.
Drinking too much water for example can be incredibly dangerous. Drink a lot of anything and it's really bad for you. But only drink a little once in a while and you should be fine. (this obviously excludes things like mercury…)

yes, moderation and not excess.
shifting in the wind… is a baby.
K.A.L.A.-dan! Ronin!
also here
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:00AM
Pineapple at 8:23PM, April 29, 2008
(online)

Red Bull has the same amount of caffine as a cup of coffee. You would think there was more.
kingofsnake at 12:37PM, April 30, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
In the end, that's the thing , your body becomes used to it and the effect doesn't work. You just think it does…

Thats not true. It still works. It just holds the caffiene hangover terrors at bay. Its like once you get addicted to heroin, the heroin doesn't do as much anymore, rather, you just need it to be normal. I gave up caffiene for lent, and those first few days… phew. Just from that experience I know I'm not giving up junk anytime soon.

{quote=OO]but that it doesn't actually do much that's proven when used in energy drinks

Taurine, supposedly, opens up the veins to the brain so that blood and thus the caffiene, can reach it faster. Thats the story I heard anyway.

kypol

Everything is bad for your health. Sometimes you gotta live the for the day dude.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
dueeast at 6:48AM, May 1, 2008
(offline)
kingofsnake
{quote=OO]but that it doesn't actually do much that's proven when used in energy drinks

Taurine, supposedly, opens up the veins to the brain so that blood and thus the caffiene, can reach it faster. Thats the story I heard anyway.

Very interesting, if accurate. I may have to research that some, since it makes sense.

kingofsnake
kyupol

Everything is bad for your health. Sometimes you gotta live the for the day dude.

Words to live by… :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
usedbooks at 9:04AM, May 1, 2008
(online)
No way. I can't drink anything like that. Plain ol' Pepsi gives me insomnia for a week. I drink water and skim milk (not mixed together ;) ). On special occasions I have kool-aid or cream soda. – I actually drink Coca-cola as part of a migraine cure, but I don't drink caffeinated things just as a beverage unless I have no other choice.

Also, I can't drink anything I don't like the taste of. That includes coffee, tea, alcohol, many kinds of juice, most kinds of soda, etc.

(I won't pretend any of it is “for my health” though. I'm not a shining example of good health in any respect. Alcoholic chain smokers will live longer than me regardless of how “well” I live, eat, or whatever.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
seventy2 at 4:24PM, May 1, 2008
(online)
i stay away from caffine most the time…(not because i'm mormon)….just because…

i've hated every energy drink i've tasted….and the last one i had, (because i needed to pull a 20 hour shift)was an 8 ounce can of Ripit. it made me sick to my stomach. but i was awake for that 20 hours…..
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
herio at 6:02PM, May 1, 2008
(online)
i like most enarydrinks and coffy haveiung asbargers i like to thik that
it helps me think cleener

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon