Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Epic discussion: Post counts.
AQua_ng at 1:00AM, July 14, 2007
(offline)
Serious business now guys, serious faces on.

Does a high post count mean that you are respected in the forums? I was wondering, if post counts were taken away from viewing, will it all be better? Is it quality or quantity that matter?

In my opinion, a high post count has some part to play on how other people see you as a user at a first galnce. However, when they see you just posting utter garbage, that high post count may count against you.

What did you think?

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
mechanical_lullaby at 4:29AM, July 14, 2007
(online)
I think of the correlation between how long the person has been registered and how high the post count is. That'll earn 'em less respect… unless of course they live at Drunkduck in little tents scrawling things all day and having at least a hundred back up responses at a time.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Ozoneocean at 5:24AM, July 14, 2007
(online)
I dunno… half the highest post count people are junk posters anyway, in an obvious way, so I'd say that when people see their crappy posts it rubs of on the rest of us: ALL high post count people are just spammers…

Besides, all the postcount/respect stuff is minimised here thankfully. Other forums make a bigger deal out of it with graphics and ranks, but I mean; it's JUST a postcount.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
Cthulhu at 6:41AM, July 14, 2007
(online)
I think that this is a horrible place to put my 2,500th post in. Oh well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:57AM
LIZARD_B1TE at 7:28AM, July 14, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
ALL high post count people are just spammers…

Ozone is the king of spam!

Heh. Postcounts… Is a high postcount really something to be proud of? I mean, doesn't it just show that you have absolutely nothing better to do with your time?

Seriously guys, anyone with a postcount over 2000 needs to get a life.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
AQua_ng at 11:06AM, July 14, 2007
(offline)
U-Turn! Steer this topic back on track!

I guess that post count is a double edged sword (I just pissed off Ozone), people with a high post count have a decent possibility of also being experienced, case in point, Terminal.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
fern at 12:48PM, July 14, 2007
(online)
Well here's my outlook and I concur with most of you.

AQua_ng has a valid point in which how your name is ranked by size and boldness. But as a DD veteran being here for 1 year and 2 months I have quickly learn that it means nothing to me whether your name is in bold or not. The only affect it will have on other users are the newcomers but they will quickly learn it's meh to them as well.

Mech' has another good point, especially if you've only been in DD for a month and you already have 600+ posts, there's a good possibility that you won't be taken as serious as someone who's been in DD for a year and has the same equal posts but then again that's meh to me.

Ozone' has another compelling point that basically if your posts are in the, let's say… 1,500+ there's a good chance that a large percentage of that is considered spam. Though I haven't comprehended how ozone' has managed to have a post count of 7,000+.

And there is also the matter of who AQua_ng was directly referring to. Some of you may consider Cth' a spam poster, especially since he has posted twice and has yet to contribute a respectable response to this thread question. I frankly don't care if Cth' is a spam poster as long as he follows the rules which in some cases he doesn't. Also it would be nice if Cth' actually gave his opinion from time to time, especially in the respectable General Discussion forum. It would also be greatly appreciated if people kept their spam where spam is acceptable.

But then again—I'm one to talk! Yes I do have a high post count for a non-mod/admin user and I do spam from time to time. BUT I only spam in the Spam Thread and even there I continue to follow the no double-posting rules. But the forum where I only post like a madman is in Forum Games and even there I try to give funny responses worth reading while continuing to follow the rules. I do not spam in General Discussion nor have I not spammed in the TD's main threads for a long time.

And yes I am aware that I said I will no longer post here, but I am making an exception for this meaningful thread.

So I leave my rant with a request. That we all stop spamming in the non-spam forums/threads. No more white guys saying WTF pictures in the General Forums. No more of someone's cock in one's ear in the You Say Goodbye forum (or wherever, it's still shitful posting). No more meaningless and childish bashing all around us! I AM FUCKING FED UP WITH THIS SHIT! Not all of us are comedians! You can be a boring Hawk if you'd like! At least he gives his opinion when a thread question is presented. And this is not FERN BEING LOLLIES here, those fucking video game forums have really pissed me off, they are annoying and I do NOT want that to happen to DD. I am a pessimistic and depressed 20-year-old atheist but I sincerely hope that all is not lost in this world…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:27PM
Bocaj at 1:40PM, July 14, 2007
(online)
I feel the post count shows how much someone is in the forums. You either are a spammer, and oldie, or have a lot to say. From the post where you see the post count you can tell which they are.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
Cthulhu at 1:44PM, July 14, 2007
(online)
Now that I've reached my goal (yay.) I'm going to be more serious and… *never spam again.

Except in the spam thrend. But it's allowed there, so isn't spamming there the right thing to do? Is it spamming to create a topic, and be on topic?

* For realz.
TheTopHat at 3:32PM, July 14, 2007
(offline)
Well i personal haven't really looked at anyones post count untill i llok at this post. And well i have a little thing to say about this

What the! 7000+ what the hell!do you ever leave?

you know who you are
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
Ozoneocean at 3:49PM, July 14, 2007
(online)
TheTopHat

you know who you are
You're cute Top Hat, can I see a bigger pic of your avatar? :)

Well I left last year for about 3 months or so… Maybe longer.
Avalon comics at 3:51PM, July 14, 2007
(online)
Actually, I guess i respect peoples based on their comics (or if they have comics), freinds (if they have them) their spelling and their post count.

But not usually avatars, 'cuz often the really good GIFs often belong to really bad spriters. Or people with no freinds/comics.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
TheTopHat at 4:21PM, July 14, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
TheTopHat

you know who you are
You're cute Top Hat, can I see a bigger pic of your avatar? :)

Well I left last year for about 3 months or so… Maybe longer.

Well Mr ozoneocean i never *waves hangbag about*

just ‘cus you’ve out the better hair :b
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
TheMidge28 at 6:37PM, July 14, 2007
(online)
If you would like a new persons perspective…
I rarely look at the number of posts someone has made.
I look at who they are and what do they have to say.
Now if all they say is garbage or not witty then…
But what do I know…I'm new?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:20PM
ZeroVX at 5:59AM, July 15, 2007
(online)
I've been here for a year, yet I've only posted on the forums for about two months. In that time, I've accumulated well over 1000 posts.

But, considering a big chunk of that was spam, it's not really an accomplishment.

The point being, if I truly did care about my post count, I'd make them count.
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:58PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 12:17PM, July 15, 2007
(online)
Postcounts… How can you feel for them? They are but numbers. There is nothing personal about numbers. By putting them in number form, aren't we just taking away the value posts? Who can cry over a number? We see tham as nothing but numbers, never as the countless, unique posts that they truly are!

That is the true tragedy of body counts on the news– er, postcounts.
Priest_Revan at 12:32PM, July 15, 2007
(offline)
For me, no.

I come from another forum where people would literally get like 3k posts in a month (well, there were alot of discussions). But most of those people where just… idiots.

I mean, heck, when I left, I had 10k, but I wasn't respected. (Hell, the guy who had 40k was hated by most of the forum).

So yeah, if you spam alot that means you have alot of posts… but no real reason for people to like you.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
Terminal at 1:43PM, July 15, 2007
(online)
All of you, ask yourselves this: Does the world keep a track number of how many times you've opened your mouth to say something no matter what it could be?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
TheMidge28 at 7:26PM, July 15, 2007
(online)
No. It doesn't.
Was that rhetorical?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:20PM
LowResAtari at 11:39PM, July 15, 2007
(offline)
Terminal
All of you, ask yourselves this: Does the world keep a track number of how many times you've opened your mouth to say something no matter what it could be?

Yeah. Mine is 1,020,687,409,354
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
strong414bad at 4:09PM, July 19, 2007
(online)
I find I can post in a discussion and have something important to say, yet still find my post is completely ignored by the people. Is it because of my tiny post count? Or am I just really boring?
Why hello there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:59PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 12:12PM, July 20, 2007
(online)
strong414bad
I find I can post in a discussion and have something important to say, yet still find my post is completely ignored by the people. Is it because of my tiny post count? Or am I just really boring?

who're you again?
notlikelytocare at 10:58AM, July 26, 2007
(online)
well, I'm relatively new to the forums…… but i was chatting to lefarce on yahoo, and we were discussing something similar to this……. i honestly don't give a damn how many posts someone has…. you know what earns my respect? Intelligence. if you have 5 posts and seem to possess an above average intelligence, i am more likely to respond to your thread than say, someone who has 4000 posts and endlessly spams or possesses the intelligence of a elementary school student….. it seems to me that intelligent conversations have been long forgotten in the shadow of 1337 and noob-ism(don't get me wrong, from time to time its fun to make crude jokes or just act a fool, but keep it to the threads that are there for it)…. it would be a godsend if i could just have ONE thread based on intelligent conversation that someone could mod so than no one could spam/act like a fool….. just good, old fashioned conversation about topics that have an affect on our lives….. i attempted this with my “ask a soldier Q&A” thread, but the second post was “The plunger is stuck, It's overflowing everywhere! What do I do now?”…….. yeah, i was disappointed…. but still, i replied with a funny comment because i didn't want it to seem that i was picking and choosing who to respond to…. that just seems juvenile to me….

sorry about the rant… just had to get it off my chest…. but my point is, i believe that the post count should be removed…… to me it serves no purpose, and it shouldnt to anyone else….. the whole point of the forums is to create a social gathering place for like minds to discuss current events and things that are important to them, not posting shit like “LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOOLOOLORZ!!!!! HAHA!! YOUR FACE LOOKS LIKE A BUTT-MONKEY!!!!! READ MY COMIC, IT KICKS ASS!!!!”

so i BEG of you, my fine feathered friends….. just grant me 1 intelligent conversation thread, where I or someone who is more trusted among us, can delete posts as they see fit, as to better the thread!!!
My avatar is tiny because I'm compensating.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM
Bekefel at 11:09AM, July 26, 2007
(offline)
I don't mean to be rude, but I would respect you more if you used less ellipses and not so many exclamation marks. Just seems a bit unnecessary to be honest.

But I agree with what your saying, idiots spark a chain reaction. A few people have an interesting, intelligent conversation and then someone comes in and says something that sparks everybody else to start acting stupid.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
notlikelytocare at 11:36AM, July 26, 2007
(online)
Bekefel
I don't mean to be rude, but I would respect you more if you used less ellipses and not so many exclamation marks. Just seems a bit unnecessary to be honest.

But I agree with what your saying, idiots spark a chain reaction. A few people have an interesting, intelligent conversation and then someone comes in and says something that sparks everybody else to start acting stupid.
yeah, sorry thats one of the only noobish things i seem to cling to. it seems more of a twitch of my hand than anything, its involuntary, unless i really concentrate like i am now.

so yeah, you think they might be able to honor a request like that? i just wish there was at least 1 thread where intelligent people could go to escape ridiculous posts, while being able to have a decent conversation.
Bekefel at 11:39AM, July 26, 2007
(offline)
Should I create the top drawers very first Intelligence Thread, only those of higher mind may enter.

…which limits most of the Top Drawer.

WAAAAAAAAAAAARK!
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
notlikelytocare at 11:58AM, July 26, 2007
(online)
Bekefel
Should I create the top drawers very first Intelligence Thread, only those of higher mind may enter.

…which limits most of the Top Drawer.

WAAAAAAAAAAAARK!

Actually, ive also asked someone of a “higher power” about this, and im waiting on a reply. but if it doesnt work out, ill figure something out.

b.t.w. did you just complain about my punctuation addiction, and then scream "WAAAAAAAAAAAARK!"not 2 posts later? please tell me im just hallucinating………
Ozoneocean at 3:19PM, July 26, 2007
(online)
OK. This thread actually addresses an interesting subject that other forum posters might enjoy contributing to. In fact I'd say that this thread is probably better than 60% of the ones that have been posted in General in the last 4 months.

With that, I've decided to remove really silly spammy stuff (which I don't have to tell people about because it was posted while in the Top Drawer), and move it to General!

-The TD is not a good place to expect intelligent, respectful discussion. ;)
Cthulhu at 3:30PM, July 26, 2007
(online)
Woah, woah, woah, woah… woah.

I've heard of plenty of good TD thrends that started out in GD, but a good GD thrend starting out in the TD?!

You may need a miracle here, oz.
silentkitty at 4:56PM, July 26, 2007
(offline)
To be honest, I never even look at post counts or join dates. How many times someone has posted, or how long before (or after) me they've joined really has no bearing on how I view them.

Someone had a signature on another forum I visit that said something like “I don't care about your post count, only if your posts count”. That pretty much sums up how I feel about it. =p
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon