Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Fictional things you made up
Evil Emperor Nick at 8:02AM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
I was recently making had a lot of fun comming up with some band names for a project I was working on and it made me wonder what other people have come up with.

So the question is have you ever made up a business, band, invention etc. etc. which you like to reference a lot? If so tell us about it and link us to the comics where it appeared.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
AQua_ng at 8:22AM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
I remember making something up to entertain my cousins while we were waiting in an airport. Ninjas from Malaysia, a malinja. They sneak inside people's luggage and surprise/kill them when discovered. They are also scared of Tuesdays. I had one in my comic and everything. Seriously.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
skoolmunkee at 9:32AM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
What about non-fictional stuff you've made up?
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
Evil Emperor Nick at 9:46AM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
I guess non-fictional stuff you made up is fair game too.

WingNut at 10:14AM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
Ooo! Oo! I love this game.

I appreciate the fine art of the BS. It's one of my little joys in life, and thusly I have some grand yarns to tell.

1. I convinced my best friend in 6th grade that the banana republic is a country in south Africa.

2. I convinced my roommate that giraffes were the only creatures in the animal kingdom that are mute.

3. I convinced another friend that due to selective breeding, and an innate knowledge of genetics, Benjamin Franklin is responsible for the invention of the turkey that we know and love today. Back then, the turkey was much more akin to the modern guinea hen.

-W
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
warren at 11:14AM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
I convinced poeple that due to voltage variations, CDs from Europe play backwards when put in US CD players.
Warren

On the Duck:
Title -updating! ~30 strips!
PAC -New! >10 strips.

Others:
Spare Change -updating! ~2000 strips!
Mass Production -hiatus. ~300 strips.

This guy does Piss Mario, Stick, and Filler!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
Lord Shplane at 11:49AM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
Kitten Mace.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:40PM
Evil Emperor Nick at 11:51AM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
I think you guys are missing the point of this thread (except for AQ). The idea is to tell us about something you made up for your comic like a band or a sports drink etc. etc. and then link us to where it showed up in your comic.

For example in my comic I created the Magic Space Ducks as a fictional TV show. It is about a bunch of alien ducks who fly to earth to protect it from alien invaders with their super ultra magic powers and I referenced them once, twice, three times (here too), and you can find a picture of them on deviant art.

They are a cartoon I just made up for my comic even though the comic has nothing to do with Magic Space Ducks, just like strongbad e-mails made up Limozeen(SP) as fictional 80's band and talks about them all the time even though they are not character in the Homestar Town.

So I'm asking what other people have made up like that for their comic universes.

Lord Shplane at 11:54AM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
Evil Emperor Nick
I think you guys are missing the point of this thread (except for AQ). The idea is to tell us about something you made up for your comic like a band or a sports drink etc. etc. and then link us to where it showed up in your comic.

For example in my comic I created the Magic Space Ducks as a fictional TV show. It is about a bunch of alien ducks who fly to earth to protect it from alien invaders with their super ultra magic powers and I referenced them once, twice, three times (here too), and you can find a picture of them on deviant art.

They are a cartoon I just made up for my comic even though the comic has nothing to do with Magic Space Ducks, just like strongbad e-mails made up Limozeen(SP) as fictional 80's band and talks about them all the time even though they are not character in the Homestar Town.

So I'm asking what other people have made up like that for their comic universes.

Well, when I stop being lazy and make my comic I'll tell you where I reference the Kitten Mace. Because I will.
Evil Emperor Nick at 12:03PM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
Is it anything like a Rat Flail?

Lord Shplane at 12:07PM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
Evil Emperor Nick
Is it anything like a Rat Flail?

A little.

Oh, and don't worry about the kitten. It's into that kind of stuff.
Aurora Moon at 3:14PM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)

Well, I did create a whole different history-world for my parrell earth in Magical Mania.

examples of the differences from our earth:

1. The conitents did not drift apart like in our earth. As an result, the countries and conitents are much closer together… and affected certain parts of history very much. Click here for more information.

2. I've made a lot of fictional but imporant places/Tv shows for the world of Magical Mania too. For example: “CTV”–a fictional TV channel akin to MTV, only expect its' short for “Cool Trash TV”…. and it's an enterianment/news combo…but often a lot of times they don't really report things that happens to be true at all… mostly they report the latest rumors, etc. Yet at times a lot of people happen to believe that TV channel, which would later on create a lot of trouble. Not yet showing up in my Comic, but it will soon eventally.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Neilsama at 7:12PM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
During the mall sequence, I was making up a lot of one-time-use store names, such as Annie Maye's (anime store), Goth Topic, Kid Video, and We “B” Toys. (The last one actually ended up being covered up by a forground element, sadly)

My personal favorite is my reference to the Regal Cola Corporation, which is a dual parody of Coka-Cola and Royal Crown. Moreover, it's their lemony-smooth flavored Spurt that actually produces my single favorite sign gag in the entire series, which urges consumers to “Gulp It Down!”.

However, the one product that most people probably remember is Dance Dance Evolution. This machine WILL make more appearances in the future, including the yet-unreleased Drunk Duck Anthology Vol. 3. (See forum signature below)

Additionally, we haven't seen the last of Spurt and it's suggestive advertising.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
bongotezz at 8:03PM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
some things that i made up for my comics are

rexcorp - shown on page 28 also in superteam 2
S.U.N. labs - scientific unification network Laboratories - soon to be released
splice girls - appearing on a poster on page 97 - they are a geneticly engineered singing group.
G.U.A.R.D. - globally united against rampant destruction - superteam 2

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
Coyotejeff at 8:04PM, Aug. 13, 2007
(online)
I made up a Buffet for my characters to go to called “Big Mouth Buffet”. My friend liked the name so much he actually named his catering business “Big Mouth BBQ”
Welcome to Roadkill Valley
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
patrickdevine at 9:25PM, Aug. 13, 2007
(online)
“Saint Lorraine,” is a ridiculously doomed metropolis I invented for a comic that went nowhere. Now Saint Lorraine is the name I use for any fictional city that's screwed for some reason.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
marine at 11:31PM, Aug. 13, 2007
(offline)
I mostly use real products. I've made up all sorts of crap over the years, I think my favorite was a burger chain that occasionally shows up in my works as a bridging plot device. I've done tons of things like this. I can't think of any off hand though…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
AQua_ng at 12:41AM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
bongotezz

Heh, I made up a G.U.A.R.D too, for DruinkDuck Civil War. It stood for Government of Universal Authorites Restoration Division. I believe this means we should fight for that acronym.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
SteveMyers22 at 1:22AM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
Evil Emperor Nick

I have an entire sport that's going to be debuting in my comic pretty soon. It's something I made up ages ago when working as a graphics artist for a Pennsylvania newspaper.

I googled the concept the other day and found out that something similar takes place in the U.S. right now. Which I rather suspected. But I'm going to be presenting it on a much grander scale.

I'd say more, but I want people to read my comic and be surprised. I bet the few friends of mine that were there when I was going on and on and on about how “cool” this ridiculous sport would be won't even remember it. So it's going to be almost a stealth punchline for them.

And it fits SOOOOOOOO perfectly into my plot!
– Steve Myers, Creator of The Adventures of Superchum on Drunk Duck, and at Superchum.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:58PM
usedbooks at 1:30PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
It's not in a comic, but for a story I'm writing, I made up an organization called FARCE: Federal Agency for the Regulation of Cryptozoological Entities
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
Red Slayer at 2:10PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
Evil Emperor Nick

Evil Couch™

monster cookie ™

PiRat™

iPatch™

and the Mercury armor that my character uses.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
mapaghimagsik at 2:19PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)

For my comic, I made up a corporatist state.

www.foxnews.com

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
strong414bad at 2:25PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
I had a band once with one other friend called Jimbob. However, the other friend joined and quit the band in the same day, leaving me with a band name but no band. I still reference Jimbob constantly, though. It has since turned into a joke band singing songs about poo.
Why hello there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:59PM
bongotezz at 7:45PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
AQua_ng
bongotezz

Heh, I made up a G.U.A.R.D too, for DruinkDuck Civil War. It stood for Government of Universal Authorites Restoration Division. I believe this means we should fight for that acronym.

aww man. it's gunna be like WWF sueing the WWF :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
kitty17 at 8:03PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
MooCow- an awesome cow that has the ability to spontaneously combust and eventually explode.

MooCow disease- the spread of MooCow's misfortune by a simple touch.

A friend and I ended up playing one of those games where you draw and guess what it is. We teamed up to mess with people and not actually draw what we were supposed to. I ended up drawing a cow, she drew flames and thus MooCow was born.
MooCow ended up being our mascot and appears in my Unsound of Mind comic.

K.A.L.A.-dan! Moe Maid ;3
Pastel and Kitty :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:17PM
kennatsu at 12:10AM, Aug. 15, 2007
(offline)
I made up… an organization!

L. A. M. E. (Ladies Against Mature Entertainment) is an all female semi-military/convent type group that's dedicated to bringing down people who produce “Adult Entertainment” by any means necessary. Yep, when need be they do carry all sorts of devices, vehicles, weapons, etc… but they're limited by the law (they can't just blow up the studios unless they get permission from the governments they've established their organizations in)…

I hope that qualifies for this thread.
Warning: Pr0nCrest is for ADULTS ONLY!!!

and here's the address since I don't know how to post links…
http://www.drunkduck.com/Pr0nCrest/index.php?p=16174
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
Evil Emperor Nick at 6:12AM, Aug. 15, 2007
(offline)
You just need to have URL tags for a link. (url)the link(/url) but replace the ()'s with .

warren at 6:56AM, Aug. 15, 2007
(offline)
Well, in Spare Change, one character owns “The Time Channel”. Just like “The Weather Channel”, only much much stupider.
Warren

On the Duck:
Title -updating! ~30 strips!
PAC -New! >10 strips.

Others:
Spare Change -updating! ~2000 strips!
Mass Production -hiatus. ~300 strips.

This guy does Piss Mario, Stick, and Filler!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
MagickLorelai at 6:12PM, Aug. 15, 2007
(offline)
It hasn't shown up in any comics I have online(yet), I don't think…but throughout drawing comics in my lifetime, my drawn avatar always had a tazer, named “Mr. Tazer”. This theme WILL be ressurrected soon.

Another thing I made up for my comic Elementary Aspects was this I-don't-know-what series of food items. I don't know if it's candy, fruit, juice, all the above, but I reference it twice: Cherry Slave, Grape Obsession, and Orange Domination. First referenced Here, and mentioned again here.

There will probably be more flavors. I think it's some fruit-filled pie-like pastry. XD
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Rori at 7:19PM, Aug. 15, 2007
(online)
My friends and I made up a band we're “in” called “Feed the Kitty”. It appeared in all of my old comics, but nothing online :( The price of being old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:11PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon