Comic Talk and General Discussion *

For those of you with this illness/annoyance, i feel for you :3
Peipei at 7:51PM, April 19, 2007
(offline)
Well, I don't know exactly where this thread would fit in, so im just gonna throw it in general forums :3 This is a comic site so this topic doesnt really belong in the first place. So, yea. I made this thread because I need to get this out and I wanna let people with this problem know that they aren't alone ><.

Sure. You may think, this isn't a real illness because it can't kill you, but for anyone who is going through this right now (currently around 1 in 5 people will get this problem), it's an annoyance and a disturbance to your life. And im so crushed because I can't eat my precious ramen noodles and my spicy food anymore T_T (i've been on a fruit, yogurt and bread diet lately)

For those of you who don't know about IBS, take a look at this site :3 and for anyone who suffers from this illness, this is also a good site for you ^^ If you browse through the stories of these people with IBS, you can see the physical and emotional changes that can occur during the illness. There is currently no cure for IBS, and one may experiance symptoms of IBS for months, years, even decades…

http://www.ibstales.com/

sites like these give me hope in knowing that im not the only one experiancing this problem :3 Take care ^.~

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Ozoneocean at 7:58PM, April 19, 2007
(online)
Ahhhh… Yep, it's a very real problem, but the symptoms and the name are OH so funny! lol!

-That said I would absolutely HATE to suffer from it and truly feel very sorry for you Peipei. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Rainyday2 at 9:35PM, April 19, 2007
(offline)
I feel for you. I wouldn't want to have that.

Come read

Kitty!

Pretty please?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
skoolmunkee at 1:19AM, April 20, 2007
(offline)
Actually I was diagnosed with this several years ago, after I ended up in the emergency room a couple of times from going into shock from the crippling abdominal pain. (The first time the attending doctor was a jerk, just saying ‘okay, what’d you do?' Then he left before he could see my lips turn blue.)

In my case it was largely brought on by stress (I was doing my student teaching at the time, haha) but other factors influenced it too. It sounded awful at first- restricted foods, etc (plus the fear that I'd get another pain attack), but once the stress went away, all the rest went away too. Of course I still try to eat healthy (ish T_T). Occasionally if I eat something like Chinese food my stomach gets upset, but that's probably because I try to avoid that kind of stuff now and my system is unhappy about it on principle. :D

I think a lot of people get affected by it because it's still not a very well understood thing, plus there's a big range of symptoms and levels. Mine was brought on by stress but other people have it on a constant level more like Chron's disease. Others just have it because they don't want to stop eating greasy food, etc. That also makes it hard to treat too, there's never one thing that fixes it for everyone. :/
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
Peipei at 2:05AM, April 20, 2007
(offline)

skoolmunkee
Actually I was diagnosed with this several years ago, after I ended up in the emergency room a couple of times from going into shock from the crippling abdominal pain. (The first time the attending doctor was a jerk, just saying ‘okay, what’d you do?' Then he left before he could see my lips turn blue.)

yea ; ;…and the doctors are always assholes about IBS ; ; it always seems they don't quite understand how to treat the thing, since it's a pretty complexe problem.

skoolmunkee
In my case it was largely brought on by stress (I was doing my student teaching at the time, haha) but other factors influenced it too. It sounded awful at first- restricted foods, etc (plus the fear that I'd get another pain attack), but once the stress went away, all the rest went away too. Of course I still try to eat healthy (ish T_T). Occasionally if I eat something like Chinese food my stomach gets upset, but that's probably because I try to avoid that kind of stuff now and my system is unhappy about it on principle. :D

Yea, i'd have to say about 90.5 percent of my IBS is due to stress ; ; I was stressed alot right before I was diagnosed with it. And yea, im ok if I stray away from those foods that upset my tummy (too much cheese, spicy food, soups).

skoolmunkee
I think a lot of people get affected by it because it's still not a very well understood thing, plus there's a big range of symptoms and levels. Mine was brought on by stress but other people have it on a constant level more like Chron's disease. Others just have it because they don't want to stop eating greasy food, etc. That also makes it hard to treat too, there's never one thing that fixes it for everyone. :/

Yea :( you wouldn't believe how much it's changed my every day life and how I do things. I used to not eat too healthy before, now im forced to eat healthy. And the thing that drives me absolutely insane is that my family just doesnt seem to care or understand my IBS problem, so instead of helping me to eat better, they say shit like “well, this rice/chinese food never used to bother you before…” “I think it's all in your head. Mind over matter.” It really sickens me how cruel even your own family can be ><.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Tantz_Aerine at 2:47AM, April 20, 2007
(online)
Just wait until one of them gets it. :evil: It usually will manifest with a touch more Tabasco.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Chelano at 6:59AM, April 20, 2007
(online)
I have IBS too. It sucks. One thing that helped was natural fiber pills. But only a little. It has changed my life too. I know how you feel. It sucks. But it is life. You have to live with it and find ways to help yourself and get around it. I am on this diet thing where I have to watch what I eat. So in a way, IBS has made me really healthy. Hahaha.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
junoblairb at 9:58AM, April 20, 2007
(online)
IBS is terrible. I never got diagnosed with it but I had a similar problem, having to leave early from work everyday. I had to go on a bland diet and the like. I got away from the stress and now it only reoccurs with certain foods every so often but yeah, the pain is debilitating. So I feel for all of you.

My mom actually does have IBS and it's so sad. She also suffers from Diabetes so it's like she can't win. She tries so hard to keep the 100lbs she has.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 10:37AM, April 22, 2007
(offline)
Oh wow… I really don't know how that feels… I'm sorry for the people that have IBS…

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
mechanical_lullaby at 11:16AM, April 22, 2007
(online)
A similar illness runs in my family. There's almost no doubt I'll get it/something almost, maybe exactly, like it. :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Ozoneocean at 11:55AM, April 22, 2007
(online)
mechanical_lullaby
A similar illness runs in my family. There's almost no doubt I'll get it/something almost, maybe exactly, like it. :(
You know what they say about diarrhoea? It runs in your genes…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
mechanical_lullaby at 11:56AM, April 22, 2007
(online)
I think my spleen just exploded.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon