MAFIA... and other forum games

Forum Fighters! By Mettaur, Hakoshen, and TheFlyingGreenMonkey!
Hakoshen at 9:12PM, June 18, 2010
(offline)
I hated Beowulf (okay, what I hated was reading it in Middle English) I also didn't know who Saint George was until about 10 minutes ago when I had to wiki him.

Dragonslaying myths are in pretty much every major cultural development from India north and westward. Technically, dragons themselves originated in the east, migrated west through India and Arabia to Rome, then migrated north, or something like that. So everyone was running around slaying dragons; it just depends on what strata of history you want to look at and which culture moved in to influence them beforehand.

Product Placement
Dragons are also predominant in Nordic mythology. A faith that predates Christianity

Christianity by means of Jesus and the New Testament yes, but you're skipping all that good Old Testament stuff which goes back to about 1800 BC.

Either way it doesn't matter who did it first, a knight would be much more suited to do so, what with higher mobility from a horse, a lance, and a fully metal shield.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
alwinbot at 9:54PM, June 18, 2010
(offline)
Hakoshen
I hated Beowulf (okay, what I hated was reading it in Middle English) I also didn't know who Saint George was until about 10 minutes ago when I had to wiki him.

Dragonslaying myths are in pretty much every major cultural development from India north and westward. Technically, dragons themselves originated in the east, migrated west through India and Arabia to Rome, then migrated north, or something like that. So everyone was running around slaying dragons; it just depends on what strata of history you want to look at and which culture moved in to influence them beforehand.

Product Placement
Dragons are also predominant in Nordic mythology. A faith that predates Christianity

Christianity by means of Jesus and the New Testament yes, but you're skipping all that good Old Testament stuff which goes back to about 1800 BC.

Either way it doesn't matter who did it first, a knight would be much more suited to do so, what with higher mobility from a horse, a lance, and a fully metal shield.
Viking catapult along with natural badassery beats the knight.

Read this comic. It is the greatest journal comic ever written and drawn. Trust me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
Product Placement at 4:56AM, June 19, 2010
(online)
Hakoshen
Technically, dragons themselves originated in the east, migrated west through India and Arabia to Rome, then migrated north, or something like that.
Actually. It is believed that dragon mythology originated separately in the east and the west. The Western dragon are believed to have originated from the Greeks or Babylonians. In fact the word “Dragon” comes from Greek. Then again, you did mention Hebrew dragons and their origin seem similar, yet separate from the Greek dragons so it's not a stretch to assume that dragon tales originated from an even older society.

The common theory is that dinosaur bones triggered the first believes in dragons.

But regardless of where it first originated. Vikings were slaying those foul beasts long before the knights popped up. :Þ

P.S. I mentioned Christianity because the most famous dragon slaying knight was Saint George. I've never heard of a dragon slaying Rabbi but you're more then welcome to inform me of one if you can find him.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
Hakoshen at 9:19AM, June 19, 2010
(offline)
A dragon slaying Rabbi would be twenty shades of epic, but I doubt we'll find that on the net with any great ease.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
Product Placement at 9:40AM, June 19, 2010
(online)
Well, I'll be… I found one.

His name was Rav Aha ben Jacob, a Jewish Scholar who was born in Babylon and settled in Israel. This passage is from the Talmud:

"…Jacob the son of R' Aha bar Jacob: his father sent him to Abaye . When he returned, he saw that his lessons weren't sharp. He said to him, "I take priority to you; you return so I can go ". (faced with limited resources, the most capable student is should study - perhaps too Aha wanted to see what was wrong). Abaye heard that he was coming. There was a sheid in Abaye's Rabbinical academy, such that when they entered in pairs, even during the day, they would be hurt. He said to them , "Let no person offer him lodgings . Perhaps a miracle will occur ." He entered and slept in the academy. It appeared to him as a seven-headed serpent. Every time he prostrated himself , another head fell off. In the morning he said to them, “Had a miracle not occured, you would have endangered me. (Kiddushin 29b)”

tl.dr. version: He slept in a place that was being terrorized by a seven headed hydra. Instead of attacking it, he prayed to god and after every prayer the hydra lost a head. A rather peaceful way of defeating it, I'll admit but defeat it he did.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Mettaur at 5:48AM, June 23, 2010
(offline)
Only a few hours left to vote! Unless those Knight fans from the first game come around, looks like the Vikings have this all wrapped up!
Been years since I was here. I've been at rehab since. So uh. Yknow, things got interesting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:00PM
same at 6:21AM, June 23, 2010
(online)
Yeah. im voting viking.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
rokulily at 10:01AM, June 23, 2010
(online)
sigurd vs fafnir is one of my favorite dragon slaying storys so i says viking.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:09PM
Product Placement at 10:21AM, June 23, 2010
(online)
I had to read about Sigurdur Fáfnisbani (dragonslayer) in high school. Where and when did you read it, rokulily? Is it popular in the states?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
rokulily at 12:26PM, June 23, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
I had to read about Sigurdur Fáfnisbani (dragonslayer) in high school. Where and when did you read it, rokulily? Is it popular in the states?

meh, read it in middle school and no- it's not popular at all. i collect stories so when i was little i would go to the school library everyday, grab a book, read it, and return it and repeat. i read about… 250 books per year in middle school. soooo… about 750 total before i left that hole. i could pretty much read 100 pages in somewhere between a hour and a hour in a half depending on page size and how interesting it was. i remember almost none of the title because for whatever reason i suck at remembering names. myths and fairytales were my favorites though.
I Am The 1337 Master at 12:34PM, June 23, 2010
(offline)
if vikings are a part of it I vote them.

wait…dick cheney?

he could kill them all…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
Product Placement at 12:48PM, June 23, 2010
(online)
Fortunately, Dick is not present in this fight. Otherwise… God help us all!
rokulily
meh, read it in middle school and no- it's not popular at all. i collect stories so when i was little i would go to the school library everyday, grab a book, read it, and return it and repeat. i read about… 250 books per year in middle school. soooo… about 750 total before i left that hole. i could pretty much read 100 pages in somewhere between a hour and a hour in a half depending on page size and how interesting it was. i remember almost none of the title because for whatever reason i suck at remembering names. myths and fairytales were my favorites though.
That's pretty admirable. I used to be a big book worm back in those days but I focused more on modern day stories and fantasies. I particularly liked the works of H.C.Andersen and Astrid Lindgren among many others and spent most of my evenings lying over books. I loved studying Norwegian mythology in highschool and thanks to the fact that the church and state is not separated, I ended up learning allot of bible stories.

I'm not much in books nowadays but I'm writing for leisure I read extensively on the internet. Hope that counts for something ^^'
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Mettaur at 1:34PM, June 23, 2010
(offline)
This epic battle is beyond over, the brutal,mighty, craftsman of combat we know as the Viking has won! Oh, and after a few fights, Cheney will fight the greatest evil you guys can come up with! Send in requests today! Oh, and carry on with what you were saying.
Been years since I was here. I've been at rehab since. So uh. Yknow, things got interesting.
same at 2:33PM, June 23, 2010
(online)

Pope Benedict!
Mettaur at 6:42PM, June 23, 2010
(offline)
Same, you are suggesting that Pope Benedict fight Dick Cheney? Well, if no one else suggests something, that may well be what will happen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
rokulily at 8:45PM, June 23, 2010
(online)
Mettaur
Same, you are suggesting that Pope Benedict fight Dick Cheney? Well, if no one else suggests something, that may well be what will happen.

… actually that might not be a bad match… i think benedict could throw a decent punch and hide in his popemobile when cheney tries to shoot him in the face… hm.
shirkersama at 9:34PM, June 23, 2010
(online)
Pope Benny wins, he just has too much going for him. He's the pope so he gets Jesus powers and infalability (or however you spell that), he's darth Sidious so he can shoot lightning out of his hands, AND he was in the hitler youth so he can do…nazi stuff. Dick has finaly met his match.
Meh
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
Mettaur at 6:52AM, June 24, 2010
(offline)
Let's get some other ideas, it's not that big a match if there was only one contestant.

Also, remember last time nazi's fought America?
Product Placement at 7:05AM, June 24, 2010
(online)
Mettaur
Also, remember last time nazi's fought America?
True, true but did they have Darth Sidious on their side, at the time?

Definitely voting for the pope.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Mettaur at 7:15AM, June 24, 2010
(offline)
Non e of you are supporting your cou- oh, right, this is a world-wide site. But we still have a few fights to go before the old dude brawl. Vote your favorite two out of our surviving warriors! Cept the Viking, and Dick Cheney.
Product Placement at 7:22AM, June 24, 2010
(online)
Huh? The Viking and Cheney are fighting now?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Mettaur at 7:48AM, June 24, 2010
(offline)
Since everyone is feeling so goddamn American, here is our next fight! The English versus America, with a little twist! Feel free to write a narration for it, best one will be used for the comic, with credit to the writer.

It's our favorite techie, baptized in blood and fire, the Paladin of the Brotherhood Of Steel! And in this corner of the ring, with is trusty bow and arrow, the one, the only, English Bowman!

*grabs popcorn, soda, and Mike & Ike's*
Mettaur at 7:59AM, June 24, 2010
(offline)
This post is reserved fr voting only.
BOS Paladin Votes: One. :)
English Bowman Votes: Zero. :(
Who voted for the Paladin: I Am The 1337 Master. :)
Who voted for the Bowman: Nobody. :(
I Am The 1337 Master at 9:29AM, June 24, 2010
(offline)
Wait…there's a Forum Games comic?

The paladin obviously overcomes the bowman. He's just got better stuff.

And write…Naw. Too busy being lazy for that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
Hakoshen at 11:58AM, June 24, 2010
(offline)
Was I supposed to write some sort of narration? Sorry… work has a special kind of insane lately, and I know that's my excuse for everything but it's especially true this time! On call weeks are always brutal.
-Harkovast
Mettaur at 12:02PM, June 24, 2010
(offline)
Hakoshen
Was I supposed to write some sort of narration? Sorry… work has a special kind of insane lately, and I know that's my excuse for everything but it's especially true this time! On call weeks are always brutal.
It's alright, if you can't write it right now, you can write it up later.
Product Placement at 12:25PM, June 24, 2010
(online)
Wait, we're doing fictional character from a post apocalyptic world vs a medieval soldier now?

I thought we were doing Pope vs Cheney first. Why are we constantly switching characters?

Also, how the hell is the bowman capable of winning this one? His opponent is wearing mechanized armor, made out of futuristic bulletproof materials and he probably has a gun that can melt people.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Mettaur at 2:14PM, June 24, 2010
(offline)
Turn them to cinders actually, but I told Hak to start them out even. Or did I forget? I'll go tell him the terrain and such.
Product Placement at 2:32PM, June 24, 2010
(online)
What kind of terrain will give the archer a big enough advantage to match the paladin? A field of forcefields that only arrows can pass through?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
same at 2:54PM, June 24, 2010
(online)
Replace that paladin with a celtic warrior.

Unfair match otherwise.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon