Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Free Comic Book Day
JabberwockyJones at 3:45PM, May 1, 2010
(online)
Today was a great day, free comic book day!

Did anyone head out to their local comic shop and pick up anything interesting? :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
lba at 4:40PM, May 1, 2010
(online)
I completely forgot. :( I don't even really have any comic book stores near me, but I'd have done something for it if I'd remembered.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
Product Placement at 4:43PM, May 1, 2010
(online)
There was a store nearby that's part of that free comic day thing but I didn't go.

The things they tend to give out tends to be low quality stuff or the 1 part of a 20 part story.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
JabberwockyJones at 4:55PM, May 1, 2010
(online)
Really? That's too bad :C

Where I live, they had a contest. If you visited all 5 local comic shops you get entered to win all kinds of geeky stuff. I won a Boba Fett Bust from a contest at one shop. There were a ton of great deals, everything seemed to be half priced.

Despite the abundance of 20 part story arc marvel comics, there was A LOT of smaller indy comics that were easy to pick up and get into. A ton of teasers for new series, some of which looked really cool too. There was no skimping and handing out low quality stuff, least I didn't see any of that :P
Product Placement at 5:19PM, May 1, 2010
(online)
JabberwockyJones
teasers for new series
Yeah, that too.

I'm sure they had some good stuff but I HATE reading something that's interesting and suddenly stops. I tend to buy the complete story, nicely collected together into bundle and I understand that they don't hand stuff like that out for free.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
alwinbot at 7:32PM, May 1, 2010
(offline)
Product Placement
JabberwockyJones
teasers for new series
Yeah, that too.

I'm sure they had some good stuff but I HATE reading something that's interesting and suddenly stops. I tend to buy the complete story, nicely collected together into bundle and I understand that they don't hand stuff like that out for free.
I just pirate my comics.

So everyday is free comic day for me.

Also, was Brightest Day part of this free comic thing? I might look into that. Deadman's gonna be a motherfucking white lantern!
Read this comic. It is the greatest journal comic ever written and drawn. Trust me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
Kroatz at 12:17PM, May 3, 2010
(online)
alwinbot
I just pirate my comics.

Assholes like you are killing the comic book industry.

Aspiring artists and writers are left without money because you don't save up enough to buy the occasional comics. I have some of my works for sale in a special part of my local comic book store, I've seen people looking through it in the store, reading the entire thing and then putting it back again.
That's just as bad as just reading stuff online. You should only read stuff that's put up for free by the original creator. just like Drunk Duck.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
ImaginaryGirl at 12:58PM, May 3, 2010
(offline)
I….I completely missed free comic book day. T__T Oh well, I likely wouldn't have gotten their early enough to get any of the good issues even if I did make it. I'm just glad I got that Hellboy short story several years ago.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:57PM
alwinbot at 1:08PM, May 3, 2010
(offline)
Kroatz
alwinbot
I just pirate my comics.

Aspiring artists and writers are left without money because you don't save up enough to buy the occasional comics. I have some of my works for sale in a special part of my local comic book store, I've seen people looking through it in the store, reading the entire thing and then putting it back again.
That's just as bad as just reading stuff online. You should only read stuff that's put up for free by the original creator. just like Drunk Duck.
How much money could they possibly lose from me not buying them?

Comics aren't something many people steal. The only comics I've ever pirated are those mainstream ones. And I doubt they're losing that much money from me reading their comics every once in a few months.

I can't find indie comics for free. I have to buy those. So it's not like I'm taking things from you.

Also, it's pretty fucking cool you have your comics on the shelves.
Read this comic. It is the greatest journal comic ever written and drawn. Trust me.
JabberwockyJones at 1:13PM, May 3, 2010
(online)
Kroatz
alwinbot
I just pirate my comics.

Totally agree. The comics at the shops in my town are like, 3 bucks per new comic, a dollar or 50 cents for back issues n' such. With only 20 bucks, my friend got a huge stack of old comics from the 60s and 70s.

Pirating stuff is alright and shouldn't be outlawed, but if you like it, I feel obligated to buy it to support the guys who I one day wanna be like. 3 bucks ain't much.

I do find it ironic I seem to be the only person on a comic centric forum who actually went to free comic day though :P
AQua_ng at 1:40PM, May 3, 2010
(offline)
Webcomics are free so does that count? :3

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 3:26PM, May 3, 2010
(offline)
JabberwockyJones
Kroatz
alwinbot
I just pirate my comics.

Totally agree. The comics at the shops in my town are like, 3 bucks per new comic, a dollar or 50 cents for back issues n' such. With only 20 bucks, my friend got a huge stack of old comics from the 60s and 70s.

Pirating stuff is alright and shouldn't be outlawed, but if you like it, I feel obligated to buy it to support the guys who I one day wanna be like. 3 bucks ain't much.

I do find it ironic I seem to be the only person on a comic centric forum who actually went to free comic day though :P

I mean, I know that they're putting more work and all this fancy-pancy stuff into the comics now, but $3 for ONE issue? Especially when there's…at least 15 issues per storyline? I understand you don't have to purchase them all, but then you don't understand the story.

I mean, I could understand if you pirated everything, but maybe after a while when the issues aren't even on shelves, it doesn't really matter then. My local comic-store doesn't carry any trades, so I'd have to go to Barnes N' Noble. So whenever I go to the comic store, I end up getting old issues of stuff, because the new stuff is just too expensive.

It's getting ridiculous.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Kroatz at 3:42PM, May 3, 2010
(online)
AQua_ng
Webcomics are free so does that count? :3
Na, that's cool. The artists put it there themselves, webcomics are all about attention instead of actually making money.

alwinbot
Also, it's pretty fucking cool you have your comics on the shelves.
Thanks, it's some older stuff, My comic book store has a special section for their regulars where we can put our own stuff.

The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
Air Raid Robertson at 3:58PM, May 3, 2010
(online)
I missed Free Comic Book Day as well. I had to work all day,

I'm a little bummed since I usually made it to all the prior ones they had.

Still, not much on the giveaway roster piqued my interest anyways. DC was offering a tie-on to some Superman event I couldn't possibly care less about. Marvel was giving away some Iron Man/Thor comic, and I'm not reading either of those titles right now. The Simpsons collection was probably all reprints. I don't read all that much Image or IDW and I don't read any Archie at all. Maybe Dark Horse or Fantagraphics had something good, but I had no idea what their plans were.

If that sounds like sour grapes it's because it probably is. I missed Free Comic Book Day and I'm pissed. Boo hoo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
JabberwockyJones at 5:43PM, May 3, 2010
(online)
Ryuthehedgewolf
I mean, I know that they're putting more work and all this fancy-pancy stuff into the comics now, but $3 for ONE issue? Especially when there's…at least 15 issues per storyline? I understand you don't have to purchase them all, but then you don't understand the story.

I mean, I could understand if you pirated everything, but maybe after a while when the issues aren't even on shelves, it doesn't really matter then. My local comic-store doesn't carry any trades, so I'd have to go to Barnes N' Noble. So whenever I go to the comic store, I end up getting old issues of stuff, because the new stuff is just too expensive.

It's getting ridiculous.

Perhaps it's just where I live, but 3 bucks isn't really a lot of money for a comic. A small fry is around the same price at my school cafeteria. So spending 12 bucks on a 4 part comic arc? Really not that bad for me.

I'm a spoiled punk. :P

alwinbot at 6:24PM, May 3, 2010
(offline)
JabberwockyJones
Ryuthehedgewolf

It's getting ridiculous.

Perhaps it's just where I live, but 3 bucks isn't really a lot of money for a comic. A small fry is around the same price at my school cafeteria. So spending 12 bucks on a 4 part comic arc? Really not that bad for me.

I'm a spoiled punk. :P

You young people with your disposable money and expensive comic books!

Back in my day, we honored thrift and cheap small fries!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon