Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Get your name out there. (Or: How to Sell More Books)
Eleika at 3:38PM, May 16, 2006
(offline)
posts: 50
joined: 1-5-2006
For those of you who have managed to move to print publication, or are considering it: I have a suggestion to help you increase your revenue.

Donate a copy of your book(s) to your local public library.

I'm a library technician student specializing in public services, particularly for young adults. I work in a library shelving books, half the time in the youth department. Guess what the biggest new medium is? Graphic novels. In fact, it's such an expanding market, public libraries can't keep up, especially when they have a limited budget for ordering such things. So when it comes to accepting donations of a pristine graphic novel, chances are, they'll jump at the opportunity.

"But how can that increase my sales?"

Simple: it'll increase your readership tenfold. People who wouldn't otherwise come across your work are suddenly presented with an opportunity to read it - for free - in a medium they like. If your books are anything like Ronson's (professional-looking) and you make sure to include your URL in the pages, people will want to check it out. In fact, they'll be beside themselves with glee, because something they've read and liked is now something they can interact with on the web. One thing will lead to another, they'll probably tell their friends. If they like your story enough, they'll want their own copies.

It's not a guaranteed strategy for profits, but it's guaranteed to get you more readers … and more readers is always a good thing, right?

Well, one can only hope.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
stardusty at 4:50PM, May 16, 2006
(online)
posts: 236
joined: 1-2-2006
This is actually a rather good idea. I'll keep it in mind.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
marine at 6:28PM, May 16, 2006
(offline)
posts: 2,417
joined: 1-6-2006
I'm too popular as it is. I'm trying to keep a low profile as possible now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Adariel at 8:29PM, May 16, 2006
(offline)
posts: 913
joined: 1-1-2006
lest the squirrels find out where you've been hiding all this time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Eleika at 9:50PM, May 17, 2006
(offline)
posts: 50
joined: 1-5-2006
I am constantly shelving graphic novels and comic books. They're hot, man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
lukee at 11:39PM, May 17, 2006
(offline)
posts: 572
joined: 1-1-2006
I think I'll donate a copy of my en-progresse book to a local library once it comes out. Thanks for the tip!
–LUKEE Q. FINKLEBERG
Genuine President For Life No Seriously Guys I Mean It For Reals of the Top Drawer
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
Eleika at 11:22PM, May 18, 2006
(offline)
posts: 50
joined: 1-5-2006
Well, let's put it this way: they'll take a graphic novel if it is professional looking, isn't obscene, and looks good.

So if you're someone who doesn't edit her/his typos, you might have issues.

But here's a successful example: Today the Donations Librarian accepted The Gods of Arr-Kelaan: Myths and Legends for the collection. Technically, she's accepted the other two books as well, but I didn't give them to her directly, so they have (we hope) been temporarily misplaced. She was practically drooling at the idea that there might be more coming like that, for free.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
lukee at 11:54PM, May 18, 2006
(offline)
posts: 572
joined: 1-1-2006
Tater Salad
Lukee, when is your book coming out anyway? Any progress? I'm still working on my rambling that passes off as a foreword.
The book is planned for a June or July release, depending on how long it takes to get everything together. (ie. mostly page layouts, etc.) I decided to use a beta version of QuarkXPress to do layouts, because it's free (woo yay). The only caveat: expires in 60 days, so I'd better get my shit together pretty soon.
–LUKEE Q. FINKLEBERG
Genuine President For Life No Seriously Guys I Mean It For Reals of the Top Drawer
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
lukee at 12:43PM, May 19, 2006
(offline)
posts: 572
joined: 1-1-2006
Tater Salad
I see. Yeah, I'll have it done in a couple days or so, so you won't have to worry about that too much. Also, you better send me a free copy. >: (
Of course. (this now totals up to five copies I'm buying: one for me, one for the local library, one for Tater, and two for Library and Archives Canada.)
–LUKEE Q. FINKLEBERG
Genuine President For Life No Seriously Guys I Mean It For Reals of the Top Drawer
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
ozoneocean at 2:02PM, May 19, 2006
(online)
posts: 27,268
joined: 1-2-2004
Wouldn't that be the US Library of Congress?
Although, they'd just say “The Library of Congress”
 
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
Eleika at 2:21PM, May 19, 2006
(offline)
posts: 50
joined: 1-5-2006
Essentially, yes, the LC is the equivalent of LAC.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
lukee at 3:43PM, May 19, 2006
(offline)
posts: 572
joined: 1-1-2006
Eleika
Essentially, yes, the LC is the equivalent of LAC.
Yes. Except they give you free ISBNs, which is sweet.
–LUKEE Q. FINKLEBERG
Genuine President For Life No Seriously Guys I Mean It For Reals of the Top Drawer
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
spambot at 10:29AM, May 22, 2006
(offline)
posts: 273
joined: 1-2-2006
This is a good suggestion. In fact, I was already planning on doing it since I used to work at my local library when I was just finishing High School. Unfortunately, our first trade paperback won’t be done for awhile and I can’t really give it to them in the comic book format.
Someday though… someday…

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Eleika at 9:18PM, Nov. 30, 2006
(offline)
posts: 50
joined: 1-5-2006




See, it IS possible!

… of course, now that I work in the cataloguing department, they made me write the records. That was an interesting way to spend an hour today.

My next tutorial will be on How To Write a Proper Title Page and Verso For Your Printed Book. (Don't worry, Ronson, I had fun, honest.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
Rich at 11:47PM, Nov. 30, 2006
(online)
posts: 1,434
joined: 2-11-2006
Another good way to get your name out there is through publicity stunts.

Pull a forum raid on somewhere like Ebaums and just spam a link to your work like a motherfucker.

Also, writing in to christian websites as an ‘upset mother’ who is bitching about ‘how aweful this comic is on this website’ will work too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
Tantz_Aerine at 12:32PM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
posts: 1,792
joined: 10-11-2006
The publishing house here in Greece is going to do that with my books too before Christmas. I didn't know though that it was such a good thing. Yay! :)
 
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
suzi at 3:55PM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
posts: 570
joined: 3-12-2006
I'd just like to point out to anyone still considering this that at least in my library system (which is a county-wide thing in a metropolitan area), a book has to go through multiple stages of tiered approval before it gets put on shelves. When you “donate” a book to my library, it has a 40% chance of going to the sale rack (which isn't especially popular), and a 60% chance of getting thrown out. Even if it's a title that's already in the system. So unless you've got a lot of push behind you, or possibly if you're looking at smaller, more local systems, it's probably not the most plausible way of getting a book out there.

Just my pessimistic 2 cents…

But apparently it IS at least possible, so that's cool :D

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
Kxela at 5:10PM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
posts: 222
joined: 1-7-2006
does sound like that could happen. guess it all depends on the library :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Google+