Comic Talk and General Discussion *

How did you come to DD?
Aussie_kid at 4:29AM, March 16, 2008
(online)
An interesting little topic, I guess. What exactly lead you to the intoxicated fowl the first time you arrived? What made you stay? Why do you keep coming back?

For me, it was back in June/July 2005 and a friend of mine on the gamespot forums started spamming about his comic on here and stuff. He got suspended and the topic got locked, but he was a funny guy so I took a look. Stuff was hilarious, but I can't even remember the name of the thing. I saw a link to the homepage, figured ‘What the hell?’ and looked at the listings. Old stuff that hadn't updated in months like Screwball Islands and Suicideology got me hooked, then it was Charby the Vampirate, Elijah and Azuu, Vampire Phantasm and Gods of Arr-Kelaan. Then I started making my own comics and here I am today.

So what about you guys? What draws you to drunkduck.com?
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
Frostflowers at 4:53AM, March 16, 2008
(online)
I started drawing my comic first, and then looked around for somewhere to post it. Since I am completely HTML-illiterate, I needed something that wasn' too difficult - I looked everywhere, but the moment I stumbled on Drunk Duck, I just sort of stuck around.

Especially after I discovered the wonderful comics hosted here.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Neilsama at 5:29AM, March 16, 2008
(offline)
When DD first started, I received an email invitation from either Chuck or Spang or someone. I think they were just fishing for people off of the old Top Web Comics forum. Anyhoo, I didn't come here immediately, but after realizing how much COOLER everyone is over here, I warmed up to the idea. It was certainly a lot more social than Keenspace.

Upon my arrival, I was given a laurel and hearty handshake. And I've been here since… what… 2005?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
mlai at 6:45AM, March 16, 2008
(online)
2004, was it? Volte6 spammed my Hotmail touting DD. I just happened to be looking for a free community site to host my comic FIGHT. Who knew DD would be so stable? I thought it was all over after the big crash, just like my dearly departed Fan Art Headquarters (later renamed Impromanga).

Ed even contributed money to DD, lol he's so honest.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
DAJB at 7:10AM, March 16, 2008
(online)
Although I joined DD about a year ago, I only started posting my comic here last August.

I was already running Shades at my own website but I was impressed by the way the focus on feedback and comments here really encourages a sense of community.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
usedbooks at 8:28AM, March 16, 2008
(online)
I drew a comic for my friends. Kept the pages in a three-ring binder.

My brother runs a webcomic called The Real N (not on DD) and told me I should scan and upload my pages as a “webcomic.” I've had a few websites but didn't want to bother with coding for this, and the bandwidth and space limits on typical free servers like Tripod and Geocities would be troublesome. So I did a search specifically for webcomic hosts, and DrunkDuck was the most highly ranked and reviewed, so that's where I went. – February 2007.

(I used it just as hosting at first, but I felt brave one day and came to the forums – antisocial, self-conscious trainwreck that I was.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 8:44AM, March 16, 2008
(online)
Wikipedia.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
crocty at 8:47AM, March 16, 2008
(offline)
Let's see….

It was from the web comic list.
I was flaming someone for having a shit comic. And I saw someone comment on them, for some reason, I checked out this person's favourites. I found blip. Checked it out. Then later I saw someone comment on it with a comic, and I was liek “ZOMG A WEBCOMIC HOST I SHOULD JOIN!!!!!1”

And I did.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:51AM
MechaZeep at 8:47AM, March 16, 2008
(online)
a guy had a link to dd at another homestar wiki form.i clicked on it.the first comic was power up witch i hated.soon i came back to look around when i saw another time when dsaster was also hosted by dd.
im blue abdie abudie if i was green i would die dabide abedie im blue abadi abadie
vist el comic or somthing
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Yousorrymon at 9:33AM, March 16, 2008
(offline)
I was on stickam talking to some crazy guy named muntron and he said he had a comic and I had shown him some of my drawings and he said I should do a comic. And so I did a couple until someone said my three panel superhero comic was not good then I quit for a few months. I went and did a bunch of stuff for deviant art and then I came back with my video game comic which is going pretty well I guess. So yay for drunk duck.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:53PM
Skullbie at 9:50AM, March 16, 2008
(online)
I joined dec. 9th 07. I made some pages for a webcomic and needed a place to put them, heard DD was good and all others sucked, so i came here. Best decision for my comic ever. :3

I hated the design of DD back in 05-06. I always avoided comics on this site. lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:45PM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 10:15AM, March 16, 2008
(offline)
I joined approximately a year and a half ago.

I wanted to find a website to upload my comic. I used to use comicgenesis, but it was too complicated with the ftp. DrunkDuck works a little better for me.

Plus, you guys are much more friendly.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
Baconators at 10:50AM, March 16, 2008
(offline)
A few years back, a friend of mine started a webcomic entitled Leggo my Ego on the old DD. I read it regularly…and then one day I decided to start my own little comic. So I did, but each strip took too long to make, and eventually I gave up.

Only a few months later, I started up yet another comic, this time much simpler, and mainly using my Photoshopping skills (entitled Smores). It did quite well, but lasted only about 50 strips before I had to drop that as well due to lack of time.

Now I've returned with a new comic alongside a friend of mine, this one definitely for good. I've now taken to posting on the forums, and have found it to be quite enjoyable thanks to this welcoming community.

Although there are some little changes I'd make personally, the new DD is loads better than the old DD in so many ways, it's quite satisfying. I also host my webcomic on Comicgenesis, but as DancingChaos said above, the people there are not as friendly, and neither is the interface.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Steely Gaze at 11:23AM, March 16, 2008
(offline)
Hmm, what a good topic. I wish I could remember. I remember getting into webcomics early last year and reading a ton of them; one of them must have been on DD, and when I learned it was a site for free webcomic hosting, I told my sister, the artist in the family, and she began writing John Clyde. Then she and I created AROTD. And then I discovered the wonder of the forums here.

Overall, since I joined DD I've learned about many of the other webcomic hosting sites, but none of them seem to have the community, or the quality, that DD does. It's really a fun place here. :)
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
Dragonizer at 12:25PM, March 16, 2008
(offline)
On another forum I go on, there was a topic for the webcomics you read. Somebody linked to Charby, which I read and then proceeded to read other DD webcomics. I joined the site shortly thereafter.
K.A.L.A.-dan! Morality Pet >:3
The end of time will be the end of guilt.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:15PM
CoyoteLongshot at 12:49PM, March 16, 2008
(offline)
Ah, October of last year… It seems like almost yesterday. There were greener pastures, then…

I mean… I was mainly just looking for somewhere I could put my comic where my friends (who helped me come up with the concept) could see it. At first I really wasn't planning on many people seeing it at all, but… when I found this place, it seemed perfect. Everyone here is great, and there's some really great comics here that I'm always learning from.
I'm on the Hairway to Steven, baby!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
Aurora Borealis at 2:40PM, March 16, 2008
(online)
I started to work on a “practice” comic and decided to turn it into a webcomic. So I asked on another forum and drunkduck was one of the first suggestions. So I came here :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Aurora Moon at 3:21PM, March 16, 2008
(offline)
when I first started looking for an webcomic host… I was looking for three things:
A good community, a place where they had templates for me and such (I'm horrible at html), and account interface that was easy for me to use (so that I could upload my comics with no problems).

I tried Keenspace and such, but those felt lacking somewhat…and plus some people weren't exactly friendly at all when I was asking them politely to show me the ropes of how everything worked there. plus at the time they were limiting a lot of features that would had made my stay there easier for paid accounts only. So basically I had to pony up the cash to get some of the extra features I wanted for my webcomic.
And I was like “Hell no!!”.

So when I came and saw how Drunkduck.com worked… well, let's just say we “clicked together” rather well. ;)
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
lba at 5:08PM, March 16, 2008
(online)
If I remember right I found it through yirmumah when DJ Coffman first said something about going out for the comic book challenge. So I guess I came in the same way as a lot of other people as a result of Hero By Night, I just got here before he actually started doing anything on it. Later on when I was looking for free hosting, my choices were pretty much between Keenspace and Drunk Duck and DD seemed easier to use so I chose to join here.

Of course, my memory is pretty fuzzy on that, but I distinctly remember it had to do with me sitting in art class finding a link to the comic book challenge and yirmumah. I'm not 100% clear on the exact relationship of them though.

Now that I think of it I'm getting all nostalgic about that. I miss that comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
anonymousposterchild at 6:20PM, March 16, 2008
(offline)
I came here back in 2002 after the very first crash. Back then the site was okay because, even though there were a lot of sprite comics and poorly drawn MSPaint crap, they rarely made it onto the main page, unless it was in the recently updated section. Back then the site was good. Minimalist layout, fast loading times, save for midnight, when the scripts updated, and paid features that made the site easier to use.
Official DrunkDuck curmudgeon
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
mintyfreshmangos at 7:08PM, March 16, 2008
(offline)
I had an account on here for a very long time….not this account but another one. I was looking for a comic host and I didn't like Comicgen very much. A friend of a friend had a comic here so I decided I host my comic here too.
I remembered a different layout though. I think the layout changed AT LOT. It seemed like everytime I check DD, the layout changes. Not sure if that's good or bad yet.
XD
That was like…3-4 years ago though. XD

I forgot my old username, even forgot what webcomic I hosted here originally, so I just made a new account, this one. <3

SJ link: Death's Apprentice
Updates every other everyday. WHY? Because I'm a lifeless blob.

This. mango. eats. Children.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Thevampire_kain01 at 10:35AM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
The comic “Legacy of Kain Laugh Reaver” … i was here when that was out… before the big dd crash too but i wasn't registered
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
anonymousposterchild at 11:41AM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
Thevampire_kain01
The comic “Legacy of Kain Laugh Reaver” … i was here when that was out… before the big dd crash too but i wasn't registered

I remember that comic. It didn't completely suck for a sprite/screenshot comic.
Official DrunkDuck curmudgeon
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
kiandranishan at 12:51PM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
I started on ComicGen. I didn't care for it much and stopped comicing for a bit. Then in November of 06 I ran across an ad for SmackJeeves at DA. I really liked it…still do. And then Oct of last year someone on SJ mentioned putting your comic up at multiple sites to increase readers. I thought it was a good idea and I'd heard good things about DD so now here I am.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
Custard Trout at 1:26PM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
I thought about doing a comic, went to ComicGen but it was unstable and too complicated for my extremely limited attention span. I gave up for a while, then I found a DD comic (forget which one it was) and when I found out easy it was I was hooked insantly.

I have since removed the comic, but I'm glad I stayed.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
seventy2 at 3:51PM, March 17, 2008
(online)
i love to read me some webcomics whilst i have nothing else to do….so somehow last september ish….i found this site…and then i was like i'll create an account…that account didnt get approved or something so i made this one when i was ready for my comic to begin….
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
lucky7s76 at 9:20PM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
A friend of mine on deviantART mentioned their comic being on the Duck a while back. I didn't feel all too interested in DD back then, but when I started to suffer a bit for pageviews over there, I joined here since it's meant for webcomics.

I think I've been slightly more successful in terms of views here than on dA. But I can get more in touch with my readers over there than I can here…
By the time you finish this, you'll have read it. :3

deviantART
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
mfc at 1:04AM, March 19, 2008
(offline)
Oh, man ..

I don't remember when I signed up for DD, but I remember hosting my comic “Miso Soup” on here a long while ago; I'm sure you guys remember it (it was one of my favorites because it was just a bunch of dumb jokes).

I also don't recall how I came to DD, but I'm sure glad I did. There are a bunch of awesome web comics around here. I'm here every day, and I'm constantly drawing every day.

^_^
Johnny Err0r'd!
A comic by J. Robbins!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
alejkhan at 3:01PM, March 19, 2008
(online)
I was reading Eunice P's Ghost Hunters comic, and at one point she moved it to DD or she had started doing I come from Mars and had it hosted on DD. That's how I discovered DD. That must have been 2002-3. Mmm…I was around during the B.C. (before crash) era. (I can't believe I made that pun, would A.D. be After Duck? I don't know… It's time to go home.)

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Kalos at 11:08PM, March 19, 2008
(offline)
Ahhh… I remember it like it was four days ago…

Pretty much, my friend had asked me if I wanted to draw a webcomic for him using MS Paint. I was kind of hesistant because, well, that seemed like effort or a commitment or something. So he started looking around for places to host the comic, and he came across this site and signed up to look around. Then, the jerk said something about me having to sign up too so he could be the “assistant” or whatever. I got started on the first strip within the hour. And, yeah, here I am.

Good story, huh?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon