Networking & Community Projects*

I want your [webmanga]!
mishi_hime at 9:35AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
Calling all mangaka!

I am looking for the best webcomics on Drunk Duck! But not just any sort of comic. I wan't the best comics drawn in the manga (japanese) style.

The Project:
I want to compile a list (not sure of what to name it) that showcases the very best of what drunk duck's manga artists' got. I will make a webpage and give banners/buttons to those who make the list.

Why?
Many people have their opinions about anime/manga. In most cases, the association is usualy a negative one. I want to prove that it's not just a fad. It's a respectable genre just like fantasy,western,
etc.

Please send me a PQ if you think you have a comic that could make the list.
-OR If you have any other ideas for this project and want to help out (making graphics,reviewing).

Guidlines:
Must at least have 10+ pages
Hosted on Drunk Duck
Japanese style
Can be b&w or color

Once I get some responses, I will begin the project.
Signature.txt
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Rich at 9:53AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
Cool. We used to have a topic like this, but it's sorta buried or something. We needed a new one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
mishi_hime at 9:58AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
oh, i was wondering why no one really seemed to stick up for manga b4.

I've always loved comics/manga and anime; from when i was real little.
Now that I want to make it for real-i'm very serious about it.
So i figured i'd make a support group.

Signature.txt
Knuckles at 11:27AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(offline)
Hey, this is a great idea :) I'll send ya a PQ soon.

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
Inkmonkey at 1:02PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(offline)
mishi_hime
Why?
Many people have their opinions about anime/manga. In most cases, the association is usualy a negative one. I want to prove that it's not just a fad. It's a respectable genre just like fantasy,western,
etc.

Here's the thing, Fantasy and Western are settings, while manga is an art style. Personally, I think you're doing the whole “being accepted by others” thing a disservice by segregating it all into one nice, neat little pile. What would do more to moving comics drawn in the manga art style into be accepted by the “haters” is to not treat it like it's different or special just because it's drawn in a style that was created on the other side of the planet; just keep making the art, don't think of yourself as a “mangaka”, think of yourself as an artist, and treat everyone else equally.

If you just want to get a webring up so people who like manga in the first place can find quality series' drawn in that style more easily, then this is a great idea, but for getting acceptance from those who look down on the genre, something like this is a step backwards.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
mishi_hime at 2:32PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
Inkmonkey
Here's the thing, Fantasy and Western are settings, while manga is an art style. Personally, I think you're doing the whole “being accepted by others” thing a disservice by segregating it all into one nice, neat little pile. What would do more to moving comics drawn in the manga art style into be accepted by the “haters” is to not treat it like it's different or special just because it's drawn in a style that was created on the other side of the planet; just keep making the art, don't think of yourself as a “mangaka”, think of yourself as an artist, and treat everyone else equally.

If you just want to get a webring up so people who like manga in the first place can find quality series' drawn in that style more easily, then this is a great idea, but for getting acceptance from those who look down on the genre, something like this is a step backwards.

You really think this is a step backwards?

I considered the webring idea-but i decided it's not good enough. i want to write detailed reviews and maybe that would help change people's mind. It doesnt really matter as long as people have a greater understand and are aware of the great talent. :)
This is gonna be more than just a bunch of links on a webpage. it will also highlight the different types of manga comics-thats where the other genres come in.

i like to think of the word mangaka as a honorable title But for one moment i'll use your logic. You said to think of myself as an artist first…
isn't art catagorized by different styles rather than genre? (maybe bcause it's not a story-but still, the same principle applies) The style has just as many important elements as the story, so why shouldn't it help catagorize a comic?

I never actually considered this project as a means of segregating.
(Honestly, in my opinion drunk duck was the one who started that when you could only catagorize your comic in 1 genre.)

Signature.txt
mishi_hime at 3:26PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
Okay I got a good list to review, and im currently working on revamping my site-purple direction just for this project. It's heavily under construction-but when i get the pages up it will be geared towards DD manga fans.

-http://geocities.com/starlightmishi00/

The list will start to appear as soon as i finish reviewing the submissions.
Signature.txt
Rich at 3:30PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
I love the color scheme. Light purple is one of my favorite colors.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Inkmonkey at 5:46PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(offline)
mishi_hime
You really think this is a step backwards?

I considered the webring idea-but i decided it's not good enough. i want to write detailed reviews and maybe that would help change people's mind. It doesnt really matter as long as people have a greater understand and are aware of the great talent. :)
This is gonna be more than just a bunch of links on a webpage. it will also highlight the different types of manga comics-thats where the other genres come in.

i like to think of the word mangaka as a honorable title But for one moment i'll use your logic. You said to think of myself as an artist first…
isn't art catagorized by different styles rather than genre? (maybe bcause it's not a story-but still, the same principle applies) The style has just as many important elements as the story, so why shouldn't it help catagorize a comic?

I never actually considered this project as a means of segregating.
(Honestly, in my opinion drunk duck was the one who started that when you could only catagorize your comic in 1 genre.)

That's all well and good, but by excluding any non-manga comic, you're segregating yourself.

Sorry, but I'm of the mind that manga isn't any different than any other comics, and I'm just tired of people treating it like it has to be given special treatment. Personally, I'm against manga being a “category” here on DD, since all the other “categories” are genres or settings, and it's silly to list one art style as though it explained any more than how things are drawn.

Anyway, don't mind me. I'm just a bit jaded about something like art style getting all this special treatment when no other art style seems to.
Knuckles at 8:41AM, Nov. 7, 2006
(offline)
Defining ‘manga’ is all a matter of opinion and context since the term ‘manga’ literally means ‘sequential art or pictures,’ which is what a comic is. In this case, I think it is being referred to the Eastern artstyle (Big eyes, small mouth sort of thing), more than anything.

Drunk Duck is a portal for -all- comics to be showcased, whether manga, sprite comic, or whatever. I think this manga portal that she's creating is sort of like the “Featured Comic” section on DD but just for manga.

kaminari at 2:26PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
yeah, I really disagree that manga is even an “art style”. I think only us foriegners assume that. Technically… any comic is a “manga” regardless of style, genre, setting, or national origin..

Just as anything animated is an anime.. not just animation from Japan..
We just used a very general foriegn word to describe something unique of Japan.

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
mishi_hime at 7:04PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(online)
Inkmonkey
Anyway, don't mind me. I'm just a bit jaded about something like art style getting all this special treatment when no other art style seems to.

I never said it was the best style or anything. I just said it doesnt get enough credit. Which is why i started this project. After all, there are most certainly other sites deticated to a specific genre of comic. I'm not the first to make a site deticated to something.
Signature.txt
Inkmonkey at 7:09PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(offline)
mishi_hime
I never said it was the best style or anything. I just said it doesnt get enough credit.

I dunno, I think the manga style is doing very well for itself. The highest selling comic in America is Shonen Jump, and just look at the manga section of any Bordres and compare it to the Graphic Novel section. If anything, the world today is leaning in favor of manga very heavily.

Thing is, once something hits it “big” the jealous people speak up more loudly.
Knuckles at 7:21AM, Nov. 8, 2006
(offline)
I don't think this is favoritism.
There are tons of sites out there that cater to specific genres of comics. If someone wanted to make a comic portal with nothing but sprite comics, is that being biased towards the other genres of comics out there?

Inkmonkey at 2:16PM, Nov. 8, 2006
(offline)
Oh, I've nothing against the project on its own merits. By all means, it's always good to find a “quality filter” for new comics, or a respectable place to find good recommendations. I wouldn't at all say that there's anything even remotely wrong with this endeavor, I'm just arguing the point that something like this is going to help “legitamize” manga, as though it was suffering right now somehow.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon