Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Independence Day Quiz
humorman at 10:35PM, July 5, 2009
(offline)
1. Which famous founding father invented the light bulb?

2. In what year was the U.S. Constitution written?

3. Who is the oldest living U.S. president?

4. Which famous president said “Give me liberty or give me death”?

5. What phrase did Paul Revere shout out just before the revolutionary war?

*. Bonus Question: From what were Washington's false teeth made?
a) human teeth
b) animal teeth
c) ivory
d) gold
e) wood

Answers:

1. None of them did. Benjamin Franklin was known for “discovering” electricity. The modern light bulb wouldn't be invented until over a century after the Revolutionary war. Fun Fact: Remember that science experiment Franklin conducted when he tried to have lightning strike a kite so he could collect electricity in a key at the other end? It probably didn't happen, and even if it did, he only wanted to show that electricity created from the atmosphere would cause the bits of string on the kite twine to stand on end, not actually create lightning that would probably kill him. Also, you can't store electricity in a key, metal or otherwise.

2. If you said 1776, you're wrong. The U.S. Constitution was actually created in 1787, and wouldn't be ratified until a year later. Fun Fact: Maybe you were thinking of the “first” U.S. constitution, the Articles of Confederation. If you said 1776, you'd still be wrong. The Articles of Confederation wasn't created until 1777, and wasn't ratified until 1781. That means there are technically four right answers to this question, none of them being 1776.

3. The answer is actually Barack Obama. Surprised? Fun Fact: Not only is Barack Obama our oldest living U.S president, but he's also our only U.S. president. Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and the Bushes are all former U.S presidents.

4. None of them did. “Give me liberty or give me death,” was said by Patrick Henry, a Virginian governor. Fun Fact: He eventually received both: the former in 1776 and the latter in 1799.

5. None, probably. “The British are coming,” came from a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Keep in mind, during that time, the soon-to-be-U.S. was still under British rule. Therefore, the colonies would probably have a lot of British soldiers occupying the area, so screaming essentially, “WE'RE ATTACKING THE BRITISH, BUT DON'T TELL THE BRITISH,” might just ruin your plans. Fun Fact: Paul Revere wasn't the only rider that night. Some texts claim that anywhere from three to forty people “rode” on that night.

*. If you said e), you'd be wrong. In fact, if you were to pick any other answer you would've been right. It's been said that George Washington's false teeth would've probably been made out of an amalgamation of human and animal teeth, ivory, gold, and etc., but not wood. Fun Fact: Unlike the other materials listed, wood tends to rot fairly quickly when exposed to air and water, which probably explains why modern dentures aren't made from any type of wood.

How did you do? If you got all six right, good for you! If you got more than four, then I guess you're decent (for an American). If you got less than two, stop watching MTV, throw away your crack pipe, and read a f*cking book.

Happy Fourth of July!

Billy vs. Tree – The epic struggle of boy versus tree.
Sonic Colores – It looks like it's going to be a good game because I love how the way it makes me grow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Ozoneocean at 10:47PM, July 5, 2009
(online)
I like your quiz. I approve of it!
However, I didn't get any of it right…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Ryan_Scott at 11:24PM, July 5, 2009
(online)
I answered SUPERMAN for each of the questions and declare myself right by default!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:15PM
Ozoneocean at 12:10AM, July 6, 2009
(online)
Ryan_Scott
I answered SUPERMAN for each of the questions and declare myself right by default!
That just makes your German…
Product Placement at 2:27AM, July 6, 2009
(online)
I agreed with the light bulb question. I knew that the light bulb was invented long after the foundation of the states.

I also got the bonus question right(I answered “human teeth” ). Normally I'm not a fan of trick questions though.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
lothar at 5:03AM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
humorman
If you got less than two, stop watching MTV, throw away your crack pipe, and read a f*cking book.

LOL if you don't know enough trivia about a specific era of one specific country it means you are ignorant and most likely illiterate

super bonus question -
name one of the five members of the original northern confederacy
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Ozoneocean at 5:07AM, July 6, 2009
(online)
lothar
name one of the five members of the original northern confederacy
Chuck Norris.
TheMidge28 at 10:46AM, July 6, 2009
(online)
I find it funny the only people who posted response to the quiz reside outside the US.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
bravo1102 at 10:46AM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
I got all of them right. Have to set a good example for my fellow social studies teachers.

If Paul Revere shouted anything it would have been “The regulars are out” which doesn't rhyme very well. That is what he was warning the minutemen about; the British regulars were on the march to Concord. That they would be marching was known, it just wasn't known when they'd start. A good account is found in Fusiliers which chronicles the 23rd Regiment of Foot Royal Welch Fusiliers (actual spelling) in the AWI (which fought in most major actions from Lexington to Yorktown.)

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
seventy2 at 11:43AM, July 6, 2009
(online)
i didnt answer them, thinking that Humourman was going to post a bunch of fake answers.

i knew four of them. 1,2 ,4 bonus. i thought that 3 would be a trick like that but wasnt sure. 5 ianno.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:29PM
ipokino at 11:26AM, July 7, 2009
(offline)
Except for GW's teeth (which I got right, knowing wood was the wrong answer) I didn't answer any of the questions because…….I hate questions in which the answer is meanless–ie…the question is pretty much a wash. By the time I got to the ‘give me liberty or give me death’ line I knew the rig was in…sorry!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon